Hearthstone

Ok I just wanted to make sure that it was a new beta key on my PC that I got last night. (Checked it on my phone and it looked weird.)

Anyways I will be just as cruel for getting my beta key as i had to last night.

914xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The x's are all random numbers 1-9. ENJOY!!

But seriously..first person to PM me can get it

EDIT Key went to KaOTiK since that was the first PM I got

Last edited:
Seems Blizz hates me even though I own all their products (except MoP). Been wanting to try this for awhile now, boo!

EDIT:
PM'd you cougarsoccer, you posted a moment before me :D

These card games where you can't cast spells during your opponent's turn are just so... basic. I dunno how to describe it. After you play a game like Magic, these games just don't have it. Might try out Hex and see how that's coming along.

Last edited:
I've been in the beta for about a month. It's extremely heavy on the RNG, and so at first I really hated it and didn't touch it again for a week. If you can accept the RNG factor it's OK to play every now and then, but it's not really a game I feel one can become the "best" at. I feel that there is just way too much randomness in the game for it to be anything more than the derpy cardgame it is. Then it's probably the most pay-to-win game I've ever seen and another extremely blatant attempt at Blizzard to create a money tree. Sadly, I think it will probably work this time, though.

These card games where you can't cast spells during your opponent's turn are just so... basic. I dunno how to describe it. After you play a game like Magic, these games just don't have it. Might try out Hex and see how that's coming along.

That is the problem I have been having! After playing magic for so many years it just feels so... Odd. I am completely helpless when it is their turn, which drives me nuts. I know it's not magic, and that is probably what they want to do to innovate and all that. Just doesn't work for me, and frustrates me so much! This game is sadly not for me, despite how awesome the idea is.

That is the problem I have been having! After playing magic for so many years it just feels so... Odd. I am completely helpless when it is their turn, which drives me nuts. I know it's not magic, and that is probably what they want to do to innovate and all that. Just doesn't work for me, and frustrates me so much! This game is sadly not for me, despite how awesome the idea is.

I like the digital card game idea, so I'm checking out hex. I like their graphics and shit. MTGO online is so dull lol. Hex is basically a MTG clone. It might end up being awful, but whatever.

I'll still play a few games of hearthstone now and again though.

How in the fuck are people thinking this is a pay to win game? Lots of people craft murloc and/or pirate decks and do really well with them. Pretty much all common cards. Total Biscuit has made decks with as many legends as he could possibly fit, and he does not usually do well with them.

Then, there's the fact that to many people the biggest draw of the game is the arena mode. You get 30 cards in the deck as normal, but every selection is a random 3 that you get to choose from. It has NO relevance on what cards YOU own. It's a random draw. You play that till you've lost 3 times, or won 12 games. Then you draft a new one. There's absolutely no pay to win element there, as everyone's deck is drafted in the same manner. You cant take a constructed deck into the arena.

Pay to win, yeah, sure is. Jesus.

How in the fuck are people thinking this is a pay to win game? Lots of people craft murloc and/or pirate decks and do really well with them. Pretty much all common cards. Total Biscuit has made decks with as many legends as he could possibly fit, and he does not usually do well with them.

Then, there's the fact that to many people the biggest draw of the game is the arena mode. You get 30 cards in the deck as normal, but every selection is a random 3 that you get to choose from. It has NO relevance on what cards YOU own. It's a random draw. You play that till you've lost 3 times, or won 12 games. Then you draft a new one. There's absolutely no pay to win element there, as everyone's deck is drafted in the same manner. You cant take a constructed deck into the arena.

Pay to win, yeah, sure is. Jesus.

Dude, it's a card game. Of course it's pay to win. Sure, you can definitely win without spending any money, but you'd definitely win more if you had all the cards. Just like in every game of this genre.

And using the example "as many legends as possible is completely retarded. That's not how you build decks.

The problem is that people have clearly not played a card game before. You have to have some cash to spend. That's the way they work. Cards cost money. The genre is pay to win by default. In the case of Hearthstone, money allows you to bypass a huge grind and treat the game like any other card game out there.

Dude, it's a card game. Of course it's pay to win. Sure, you can definitely win without spending any money, but you'd definitely win more if you had all the cards. Just like in every game of this genre.

And using the example "as many legends as possible is completely retarded. That's not how you build decks.

The problem is that people have clearly not played a card game before. You have to have some cash to spend. That's the way they work. Cards cost money. The genre is pay to win by default. In the case of Hearthstone, money allows you to bypass a huge grind and treat the game like any other card game out there.

That's not the way this game works. Do you even know how arena mode works? It doesn't give 2 fucks about what cards you have, or how much money you have spent in the game. You can not pay to win in arena mode.

In the other game modes, earning cards is pretty damn easy. You can craft cards with dust so if you are missing a couple cards vital to your deck, you can make em. You know, instead of buying them. Then of course there's ranked game modes, which means you'll be playing with players around your skill level. Which means they should have about the same cards as you do. In the lower ranks, if a person has 'payed to win' they don't understand the concept of a good deck, and will stick all the rares and such in the deck, making a woefully fucked up deck. Which means they will NOT WIN.

Frankly, in my mind the only game mode that really matters is arena, and in that mode, there is zero pay to win. Zero. Fuck.

Sorry man, but its pay to win. And that's awesome. I love pay to win. Two new players start out and have to build decks. One spends $100 and one spends nothing. Who will win more games In their first 100 matches? Probably the guy who has access to more cards.

Sorry man, but its pay to win. And that's awesome. I love pay to win. Two new players start out and have to build decks. One spends $100 and one spends nothing. Who will win more games In their first 100 matches? Probably the guy who has access to more cards.

And in arena that $100 spent means precisely fuck all. Do you even read? Have you ever played/watched the game being played? Arena mode is the definitive end all to a pay to win game model.

So sick and tired of people bitching about 'pay to win' when most games they are bitching about have almost no pay to win aspects. People complain about World of Tanks being Pay to win. So fucking wrong. People bitch about this being pay to win, I really don't see how, but whatever people wanna bitch about fine have at it.

It's a free to play game. Enjoy it. I haven't spent money on so called 'pay to win games' (Other then exp boosts) and my favorite thing is murdering people who have payed for extra tanks, planes, dildos and/or cards or whatever the flavor of the month is. You could try that, or you know, just complain about free games. FREE FUCKING GAMES. Fuck.

Arena has a small fee to enter (real money or gold earned in game), but after that you cant spend money to get an advantage in the game.

Arena is a separate exclusive area of matches that do no overlap with the normal "build your deck" matches (which is what you're thinking).

In the arena you build a deck of 30 cards from random. You pick a class out of a random 3(?) classes given to you. You are shown 3 cards at random, and you pick one from those 3. Then you are given another 3 cards, and pick another one, so on and so on until you have a deck of 30 cards. There is no unlock, no pay, and no way to affect what cards are given to you as options after choosing your class.

Once you built the deck, you play arena matches until you lose 3 games or win the arena cap (cant remember what is is now). Then that deck is gone forever. You get some prizes for how long you win that goes to your normal collection, but if you want to play arena again, you build your deck from random again. There is a mix of luck and skill in both building your deck and using it in matches, but there is no way to pay for an advantage in the arena.

I know about the arena. Arena is Hearthstone's drafting. No one said drafting is Pay 2 Win. Its clearly not. If you don't play constructed, that's fine. Many people do and it is Pay 2 Win just like other card games.

And in arena that $100 spent means precisely fuck all. Do you even read? Have you ever played/watched the game being played? Arena mode is the definitive end all to a pay to win game model.

So sick and tired of people bitching about 'pay to win' when most games they are bitching about have almost no pay to win aspects. People complain about World of Tanks being Pay to win. So fucking wrong. People bitch about this being pay to win, I really don't see how, but whatever people wanna bitch about fine have at it.

It's a free to play game. Enjoy it. I haven't spent money on so called 'pay to win games' (Other then exp boosts) and my favorite thing is murdering people who have payed for extra tanks, planes, dildos and/or cards or whatever the flavor of the month is. You could try that, or you know, just complain about free games. FREE FUCKING GAMES. Fuck.

Why are you touting arena as some kind of decisive counter to people's pay-to-win claims? Arena is not free. I have to pay Blizzard to be able to play in a deck drafting environment to try and mitigate playing against stacked or unbalanced decks. That in itself can be seen as an indirect way of pay-to-win.

If you aren't paying straight up to do arena you can get the gold it takes to do one game of arena in about 4-5 days if you poopsock the shit out of the normal game. So, 4-5 days of grinding to play 1 game in arena.

Also, for obvious reasons, the vast majority of people are going to be playing the normal, constructed, extreme pay-to-win game. And why wouldn't they? Blizzard WANTS people to play in that environment. How else are they going to sell packs (you know, the main source of income of any card game to date)? The game is designed to be a fucking cash cow money tree. Your argument is just really, really dumb, dude.

4-5 days of grinding?!? What in all the great fucks are you even talking about. Not to mention, the rewards you gain from arena decks are usually enough to play another arena deck. Then you get more gold when you finish that hand, then again and again. If you build an epic shitty deck, and you don't get much gold, you can go back to constructed.

Not to mention, if you pay for arena runs (Which you really don't need to) YOU STILL ARE NOT PAYING TO WIN. You are paying to play. It's a free game. Get that through your heads, it's free. How else are they going to make money? Or do you just expect the game completely free, with no ability to buy cards or anything? Use a bit of logic and common sense here. Really.

And again, constructed is not pay to win. You can construct some killer rush down, murloc, pirate, whatever the fuck decks you want with really the basic decks. Not to mention, you gain cards really fast. Oh, also as I said before there's dust, where you can build any card you want. Need a few cards to fill in the holes? Build em from dust. You should have more then enough to buy whatever cards you need in no time.

As a matter of fact, if you know what deck you want to build, and you need say 10 cards you don't have to finish that deck off. It's much faster to build those cards from dust, then it is to buy 100 packs of cards and hope you get the cards you need. When you buy a pack, you usually get shit.

So, how does joe beat my deck when I've constructed my perfect deck with dust, and he's spent $30 bucks and got a bunch of random cards that don't pair with each other? He doesn't. Constructed comes down to dust, not to spending $29508 and opening 4 billion packs of cards. Most of the top constructed decks use mainly common cards. Need I type that again? Probably.

MOST OF THE TOP CONSTRUCTED DECKS USE MAINLY COMMON CARDS.

How can you even begin calling a game pay to win, much less extreme pay to win, when most of the best constructed decks use mostly common cards?!? Honestly please tell me, I'd really like to hear your logic here.

Getting a lot of dust means you have a lot if extra cards. That means you are buying packs or you are going scorched earth and burning all the cards you aren't using into dust. The second option severely limits your future options.

Also show me a top rank deck using all commons. Druid decks are taking over the meta and they use a bunch of epics and legendaries.

Even when a deck is using "mostly" commons, those desks would be better with some of the legendaries. Ragnaros, Cairne, Sylvanas, and Thalnos fit into damn near any deck.

Last edited:
4-5 days of grinding?!? What in all the great fucks are you even talking about. Not to mention, the rewards you gain from arena decks are usually enough to play another arena deck. Then you get more gold when you finish that hand, then again and again. If you build an epic shitty deck, and you don't get much gold, you can go back to constructed.

Not to mention, if you pay for arena runs (Which you really don't need to) YOU STILL ARE NOT PAYING TO WIN. You are paying to play. It's a free game. Get that through your heads, it's free. How else are they going to make money? Or do you just expect the game completely free, with no ability to buy cards or anything? Use a bit of logic and common sense here. Really.

And again, constructed is not pay to win. You can construct some killer rush down, murloc, pirate, whatever the fuck decks you want with really the basic decks. Not to mention, you gain cards really fast. Oh, also as I said before there's dust, where you can build any card you want. Need a few cards to fill in the holes? Build em from dust. You should have more then enough to buy whatever cards you need in no time.

As a matter of fact, if you know what deck you want to build, and you need say 10 cards you don't have to finish that deck off. It's much faster to build those cards from dust, then it is to buy 100 packs of cards and hope you get the cards you need. When you buy a pack, you usually get shit.

So, how does joe beat my deck when I've constructed my perfect deck with dust, and he's spent $30 bucks and got a bunch of random cards that don't pair with each other? He doesn't. Constructed comes down to dust, not to spending $29508 and opening 4 billion packs of cards. Most of the top constructed decks use mainly common cards. Need I type that again? Probably.

How can you even begin calling a game pay to win, much less extreme pay to win, when most of the best constructed decks use mostly common cards?!? Honestly please tell me, I'd really like to hear your logic here.

if you can tell me with a straight face that someone who spends no money will win more games than someone who spends $100 out of their first 100 games then I will totally agree with you. All other things equal.

This is an outright lie. You have to win 7 games in a row (might be more now with the changes) to get a guaranteed 150 gold at the end of an arena, and even the world's best players can't do that reliably for a huge variety of reasons (i.e. random draft is in fact random).

Paying to play? I though the game was free to play. Oh it's only free to play in the mode that encourages you to build stacked decks with powerful cards, which you can only get by obtaining packs. Either way, you're spending money to build a good deck (and win).

Yeah I'll just build that lynchpin legendary or epic card that many people and pros completely build their decks around from the dust I got just playing normally without giving Blizzard a dime.

Exactly, you get shit, but you can turn it to dust, thus encouraging you to buy more packs.

Uh, maybe you really haven't looked at how much dust the good cards cost or something.

Good observation Capn' Derp, but here's a bit of news for you: the entire game is made up of mostly common cards, and the pro decks usually have at least one legendary, commonly two.

Funny how you mention the word logic when you obviously have no idea what it means. Why don't you go and look at the winning deacks from the Hearthsone Innkeeper Invitiational or any of the top decks on hearthpwn.

Honestly, you come off as someone that is probably pretty young and both bad at the game. Shining example of the internet dwelling fanboy.

Just did my first arena. I have to admit, I'm a total newb. That doesn't really matter though when you pick Mage and get 3x fireball, 3x frost bolt, 1x flame strike, 1x pyroblast, Onyxia AND Deathwing. Totally serious lol. I'm only 4-2 though, so I probably won't get too far. I picked a lot of other cards that seemed good, but are actually kind of shitty.

Edit: 5-2 now. Poor Warlock :p

Last edited:
This is an outright lie. You have to win 7 games in a row (might be more now with the changes) to get a guaranteed 150 gold at the end of an arena, and even the world's best players can't do that reliably for a huge variety of reasons (i.e. random draft is in fact random).

Paying to play? I though the game was free to play. Oh it's only free to play in the mode that encourages you to build stacked decks with powerful cards, which you can only get by obtaining packs. Either way, you're spending money to build a good deck (and win).

Yeah I'll just build that lynchpin legendary or epic card that many people and pros completely build their decks around from the dust I got just playing normally without giving Blizzard a dime.

Exactly, you get shit, but you can turn it to dust, thus encouraging you to buy more packs.

Uh, maybe you really haven't looked at how much dust the good cards cost or something.

Good observation Capn' Derp, but here's a bit of news for you: the entire game is made up of mostly common cards, and the pro decks usually have at least one legendary, commonly two.

Funny how you mention the word logic when you obviously have no idea what it means. Why don't you go and look at the winning deacks from the Hearthsone Innkeeper Invitiational or any of the top decks on hearthpwn.

Honestly, you come off as someone that is probably pretty young and both bad at the game. Shining example of the internet dwelling fanboy.

And how much gold do you get with 8 wins? Or 10 wins? Or 12 wins? Not every run is going to net you enough, no. But those runs that do net you MOAR, and that you obviously carry over. You downright lie about how long it takes to earn enough (4-5 days?!? What in all the fucks?) The kettle is over there, and it's calling a pot black.

Building there deck around a legendary or two?! Are you serious right now? You seriously think a 'pro' hearthstone player builds an entire 30 card deck around the concept of getting one of those cards? You should full well know that most games rarely go through all 30 cards. Sure it's nice if you get those cards, exactly when you need em, but that rarely happens.

The amount of removal in this game completely nullifies the concept of building a deck around one or two cards as well. You really think the same pro is going to base winning or losing on one or two cards when those card can be turned into a chicken? Or Fireballed to death? Or turned into a frog? Or silenced?

Calling a game 'extreme pay to win' and then in the next post saying most of the top decks use one or two legendarys, when those cards could not be seen for entire games, or nullified by any number of cards is laughable. I'd fully admit a game was pay to win if you could draw from your entire library of cards, whenever you wanted, but as it's a random draw, with very few 'draw this specific card from your deck' cards the concept is just dumb dude, really really dumb, dude.

Or as I said before, you can enjoy the FREE FUCKING GAME you are so graciously shitting all over. You don't have first world problems at all do you?

Or resort to name calling. I love how your name is fordfanboy, and then you go calling me a fan boy? You did ask me to use logic didn't you? Perhaps you should give some a try. Fuck.

Can you guys settle down before you get the thread locked?

What does arguing whether or not the game is pay-to-win accomplish? There aren't going to be any winners here, only losers.

Yea, it makes no sense to argue over undeniable, mathematical fact. A person with access to more cards wins more games, period. All other things equal. It cannot be denied. More cards = more wins. More money = more cards. Pay 2 win.

Just like every other card game of this type ever.

Arena is the simple case of the rich getting richer. Top 1% player win non-stop can can play arena all day long and get unlimited rewards.

I got 10 wins the other day and only got 170 gold so.

Well you also got at least one pack of cards (probably two?) and some other bonuses too. The 170 covers another arena entry, so you can keep playing and keep earning cards without spending more money.

Well you also got at least one pack of cards (probably two?) and some other bonuses too. The 170 covers another arena entry, so you can keep playing and keep earning cards without spending more money.

1 pack, like 70 dust, and a card.

You have to get at least 7 wins to have a chance at enough gold to buy back in, and it's still only chance at that point because you can't pull dust or a card. You basically need to hit 9 to guarantee. How many people consistently do that? For every 1 person that does 3 people don't.

I'm one of those people that sucks at Arena.

I do well in the crafted deck format. I have a mage deck and rogue deck I usually play in ranked. With my rogue deck that I've been playing lately, I've gone up against a ton of warlock rush decks and usually win. I can beat the mage freeze decks more than 50% of the time. Then I switch over to Arena, draft a decent deck with a good mana curve and get facerolled. I get thrown against counter decks quite often. It's not like I don't know what cards to play either. Its really disappointing when I craft a good deck and go 2-3. I just totally wasted my time. I mean, you just don't really expect things like Jaraxxus to get played in Arena when you have a warlock at 3 health. Chances of that happening are pretty low. When the 5th fireball is played by the mage, for instance, I just sigh... here we go again. I don't know how many times I've literally gone, "you have got to be shitting me", when some crazy combo or ridiculous epic card synergy goes down against me. I've watched tons of twitch.tv for pointers and I never... NEVER... see the kind of RNG madness I go against when they play. Their games look more like crafted... fairly sane and expected card plays, mine look more like someone hit me with a blackjack and then reshuffled our decks while I was unconscious, and pulled a few "bonus" cards out of a hidden stash.

Well, whether I suck or not, the fact is that Arena is not fun for me to play. It's not my forte. RNG gods do not favor me. It would sure be a welcome addition to the game if Blizzard would add some ranked rewards (which I know they're working on) so that those of us that don't like Arena, but can move up at a steady pace in ranked, had something to do. Plus, I like collecting cards (go figure) so playing crafted is more satisfying. I enjoy putting together a well thought out deck and watching it win. Even when I do decently in Arena, I don't get any satisfaction from it. I quit doing Arena altogether and just buy 100g packs now.

I'm really looking forward to the Adventure and Raid modes Blizzard has been talking about. Blizzard is really good at these type of things. The initial battles when you first start the game, with the WoW characters, voiceovers and special talents really showed me the potential of where this game can go.

Arena is more about picking the best cards for each selection than it is about trying to get an optimal mana curve. I've found unless you *really* screw up the curve, the better cards usually win.

Also I've lost every Arena game that I've played Jaraxxus myself in, the card is good when you have board control. Without board control, it just wastes a turn and lets the opponent pig pile :(

Some days I really fucking hate the Arena. I drafted a reasonably solid Paladin deck, but I didn't get a single Truesilver, Consecrate, or Avenging Wrath. First game I play another Paladin and get 3x Consecrate 2x Avenging Wrath. So shitty because aside from those 5 cards I was generally 2 or 3 for 1ing him on shit.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10949904973#1

We’ve been keeping an eye on Freeze mechanics for the past few months, and we’ve decided to make some changes to certain cards that utilize Freeze in this patch: Cone of Cold, Blizzard and Frost Nova. These cards are all having their mana costs increased by one. We understand that the Freeze mechanic can be frustrating to play against, and we feel that these changes should allow the opponent some additional time to be aggressive with their minions and well as slow the overall pacing of the control-based Mage play style while still keeping Freeze playable in many different types of decks.

I ust started playing a few hands a night again....for the last month or so the game wouldnt launch. Finally got around to looking into why the other day. Deleted cache files all is good.

For what it is its entertaining enough, I font ever see myself spending any more than the $10 I spent ust to test out buying packs.

Went 11-3 in Arena yesterday, and totally should have gone 12-2 but on the last play of the last match I was like nah, I'll frost bolt his face instead of that ogre, he can't have 8 damage in hand. He had 8 damage in hand, and I'd have won on the next turn if I had just thought it through and frost bolt the ogre :(

Still only got 235 gold =/

For anyone curious Strifecro posted his decklist (He's #1 in NA atm)

7GQ3jN8.jpg

Just when I think I'm doing good by getting 7 wins in arena the very next arena I go 0-3. What the fuck.

Just when I think I'm doing good by getting 7 wins in arena the very next arena I go 0-3. What the fuck.

For me, I just had figure out what classes I was better at and stick with those. For a while I was always picking needed classes for the daily quests, that led to some bad arena runs. Now I just make rush decks and bang out the dailies in Play mode, then I focus on Arena drafts of classes I am much better at. I can go 5-8 wins with damn near any Druid, Warlock, Mage or Shaman deck in Arena. Heck I just got 7 wins on a Druid deck with zero Swipe, Starfall, Bite, Claw, or Nourish cards. With Rogue, Warrior, Paladin and Priest I am lucky to break even at 3 wins unless I get an amazing draft.

I spent around $20 on Arena runs while learning the game. Now I haven't spent any money on the game this week and I think I have done over 10 Arena runs. Also I have enough cards to build a decent deck for any class to do the dailies. I am almost at 150 total Arena wins and I am able to spend a couple hours a night playing and enjoying the game without spending $. I am itching for the game to go Open Beta so I can face roll new people in Arena.

Last edited:
Loving this game. Nice time sink. Is there a list somewhere of cards that are available for each specific character and what they do? I'm on the website now and can't seem to locate it.

Back