Hearthstone

So, I drafted a pretty awesome Mage deck. First game, lose to a Warlock with 4 Flame Imps. Second game lose to a Mage with Antonidas and a ton of small spells. Third game beat a Warlock. Fourth game is epic. I'm basically about to lose to Paladin who hit me with THREE Avenging Wrath (seriously, what the fuck) and then plays a Guardian of Kings, which at the time I can't do anything about so hit face, the turn after he Blessing of Kings and Faceless Manipulator's it. Now, if he hadn't healed I had enough to kill him because Pyroblast in hand. I let the turn go basically until the end while I sat there like I can't believe I'm really about to go 1-3 with this deck. Hit his face, pyro ping he's down to 5. He DC'd. I feel a little bad, but not really. Because now instead of 1-3 that almost happened I went 9-3. It's crazy how big a difference a deck can go.

ps Fuck only getting 160g on 9 wins.

rvj7Okc.jpg

Pretty stoked that I got an invite this morning. With a long weekend ahead I will be testing the waters.

Few questions:

Any MTGO players think this is a cheaper alternative?

As far as pay2win, it is a card game not a video game. Not sure why people are complaining here. The nature of a TCG at the top tier is you have to have the cards, and then know how to use them. You don't win just by buying the cards.

Will you go broke spending cash on this game like MTGO?

If anyone wants to play some friendlies and drop some knowledge on him let me know!

Pretty stoked that I got an invite this morning. With a long weekend ahead I will be testing the waters.

Few questions:

As far as pay2win, it is a card game not a video game. Not sure why people are complaining here. The nature of a TCG at the top tier is you have to have the cards, and then know how to use them. You don't win just by buying the cards.

If anyone wants to play some friendlies and drop some knowledge on him let me know!

If you wanted to just buy packs in an attempt to get all of the cards you want, you would need to probably spend $250+ to start getting to that point.

After the first hundred packs or so, you will be getting a lot of Dust (created from extra cards) that you can use to craft the remaining cards you want.

Few questions:

If you aren't against spending money spending either $50 or $100 to buy 40-80 packs will set you in pretty good shape for constructed. You'll end up with a solid amount of dust to craft a few legendary after as well. After that you'll obviously need to figure out good deck building and game flow but you should be able to do fairly well in ranked play.

When you first start playing you'll do practice. You want to beat each hero in practice to unlock it, then beat all of the hero's on expert and you'll get a gold reward. After that you can either grind out the remaining basic cards in practice or try your hands at ranked while you grind those out.

I'd play Ranked for a while before you try arena or you'll likely not know the cards well enough, draft a bad deck, and get stomped. Once you get a good feel for the game and cards you can try to get good at arena. I'd watch some streams. Unfortunately Kripp and Trump are gone till Tuesday (filming a tournament in Berlin) and they are 2 of the best Arena players. Hafu is pretty good as well, but she doesn't always explain things. Trump however does have a ton of youtube videos of his arena runs with all the different classes so you can get an idea.

He has a guid as well, but this is only the neutral commons. It doesn't include class cards or rare/epic/legendary. http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=513

His youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TrumpSC/videos

Slippery,

Thanks for the indepth reply. I do not mind spending $50-$100, what I was concerned about was in magic the need for the top tier cards which would inflate the secondary market. You would have to spend $100(s) a month in order to keep up.

I have been watching a lot of Krip and Trump, those guys seem to be the best at understanding the meta game.

Again, if anyone wants to play some practice games to show me the ropes let me know.

At least with magic online you can get your investment back. Seems like with Hearthstone its just gone as I can't sell the cards or get my money back out of the system

At least with magic online you can get your investment back. Seems like with Hearthstone its just gone as I can't sell the cards or get my money back out of the system

Maybe on the cards that transition well to modern or legacy; however, with Standard once they rotate out they plummet in value.

Slippery,

Thanks for the indepth reply. I do not mind spending $50-$100, what I was concerned about was in magic the need for the top tier cards which would inflate the secondary market. You would have to spend $100(s) a month in order to keep up.

I have been watching a lot of Krip and Trump, those guys seem to be the best at understanding the meta game.

Again, if anyone wants to play some practice games to show me the ropes let me know.

Check out the reynad27 stream. He was playing EU, now he is Legend rank ~6 on NA servers. He explains things really well (better thank Trump) and was making decks on the fly while getting to Legend rank. He used some pretty poor cards too and didn't overdo it on Legendaries.

Slippery,

No problem. How much money you spend in this game is really personal preference. You could spend nothing at all and just grind it out over a long period of time, you could spend $100 and make yourself a couple good decks, or you could spend probably 3-400 to complete the collection.

tehslippery#1869 if you or anyone else wants to add me to talk shop or get a few games in. I currently have your general Warlock Giant and Druid Control type decks.

Apparently I can't play my Warlock Giant deck because I can't for the fucking life of me actually get a taunt to land on my Giants. This position bug is such fucking bullshit and they really need to fix it.

Apparently I can't play my Warlock Giant deck because I can't for the fucking life of me actually get a taunt to land on my Giants. This position bug is such fucking bullshit and they really need to fix it.

I think they just tried to patch it again...

Granted it is ridiculous how long the positioning bugs have been around.

Super agro Hunter decks all over the place.

Edit: Also, Warlock Giants is stressful. I'm pretty sure I'm winning 80-90% of games, but I always end on ridiculously low life. The only bad match up I really have right now is the Hunters. If I hit a streak of those I switch to Druid for a bit.

Last edited:
I made a spreadsheet to track my arena runs. I've tried a few of the trackers, and they're fine. But I don't always remember to start them and having to edit out phantom games and having some missing games was a little annoying. I ended up just sticking with my sheet. It's a lot cleaner and easier (in my opinion at least).

Link to download: http://www.filedropper.com/blankarena

It's split into 2 sheets. 1 for entry. You just enter class, win, loss, and date. You can use the filter if you'd like to see just a specific class or something, but generally the second sheet gives the information in a more useful way. The second sheet gives you the information you'd want. It looks like duplicates, but it's actually 2 different sets of data. The top one gives all time data (I used the note since 12 win change since that's when I started tracking) along with overall data from last 7 and 30 days, including number of arena runs that hit each win total on the right. The bottom is the same data, but you can put in a date range for the data. There's conditional formatting and error checking to hide errors/0's to keep it a little cleaner. When changing anything it will take a second or two to update (keeping it as clean as it does uses a few intense array calculations). Below are screenshots of what mine looks like.

runs.png

counts.png

Last edited:
Nice I've got something similar - but i'm also tracking gold gained in arenas so i've got data on return on investment ;)

Wewt, Hearthstone got added to my Bnet account. Been trying to get a key for a long time.

Super agro Hunter decks all over the place.

The change to Unleash the Hounds was probably a bit too much. I am doing really well messing around with the new agro Hunter. I don't even have some of the better cards for it, just digging for a combo with Buzzard + Hounds, Knife Juggler + Hounds, Timber Wolf + Hounds...

About an hour ago I pulled up an Unleash the hounds to get 4x Hounds when I had 2x Knife Juggler and a Buzzard in play :D

I made a spreadsheet to track my arena runs. I've tried a few of the trackers, and they're fine. But I don't always remember to start them and having to edit out phantom games and having some missing games was a little annoying. I ended up just sticking with my sheet. It's a lot cleaner and easier (in my opinion at least).

Link to download: OUT OF DATE!

It's split into 2 sheets. 1 for entry. You just enter class, win, loss, and date. You can use the filter if you'd like to see just a specific class or something, but generally the second sheet gives the information in a more useful way. The second sheet gives you the information you'd want. It looks like duplicates, but it's actually 2 different sets of data. The top one gives all time data (I used the note since 12 win change since that's when I started tracking) along with overall data from last 7 and 30 days, including number of arena runs that hit each win total on the right. The bottom is the same data, but you can put in a date range for the data. There's conditional formatting and error checking to hide errors/0's to keep it a little cleaner. When changing anything it will take a second or two to update (keeping it as clean as it does uses a few intense array calculations). Below are screenshots of what mine looks like.

Images removed since out of date
Nice I've got something similar - but i'm also tracking gold gained in arenas so i've got data on return on investment ;)

Original post in spoiler so this doesn't get long or confusing. I went ahead and added reward tracking and stats!

Link to download: http://www.filedropper.com/blankarena_3

Changes
-Added reward tracking. It's set up so that if you don't include rewards it won't count against your average for those rewards so that if you had some entries prior without rewards listed it wouldn't be thrown off, though I expect this will only impact me.
-Moved the stats based on number of wins to another sheet. I mainly did this so that sheet wasn't so overflowing with information. Also added reward data based on win count.
-Hit a few of the spots with conditional formatting that I missed.
-Fixed the class drop down list so if you blank it the sheet doesn't error.

runs.png

counts.png

avg.png

Last edited:
Anyone disappointed that this game is highly luck based and pay to win?

They should have just charged $60 and let the game come with all of the cards.

It's disappointing seeing "top" players going 0-3 in arena or losing to random players due to luck, I wish that there was more skill involved with this game.

It's disappointing seeing "top" players going 0-3 in arena or losing to random players due to luck, I wish that there was more skill involved with this game.

On the flip side, with a good draw in Arena, anyone has a chance to play with some uber cards and have fun.

You can do well in Constructed with cheap decks, right now everything is a mess because the ladders reset and people with Legendary decks are ranking up again.

There's always a low cost deck that does well. It was agro lock, at the moment it's the silly fast Hunter decks. Conversely, I think the best players consistently do well in Arena. Sure, everyone is bound to have that really bad draft occasionally, or just run into completely crazy decks (see my almost 1-3 turned 9-3 story because the guy dc'd). But people like Trump and Kripp consistently do 7+ in arena. That's not to say they always do, but it's pretty consistent.

The game has a fairly large split. A lot of the streamers call Arena players bad, the mode luck and boring, etc while you have someone like Kripp who says the opposite where he thinks constructed is boring. Both arguments have merit. I personally think arena takes more skill, and is more fun. Why more skill? You have no idea what you're going to run into, unlike in constructed where you pretty much know exactly what their deck looks like in the first few cards. In arena to consistently do well you have to play around a lot more stuff

welcome to RNG and card games, skipping the stupid pay to win argument, go back a page or two

welcome to RNG and card games, skipping the stupid pay to win argument, go back a page or two

It's not a stupid arguement.

When you lose to someone that has cards that you don't have access too it's not losing due to skill or luck, it's just plain losing because thy have better cards than you and could have paid for those cards.

When you lose to someone that has cards that you don't have access too it's not losing due to skill or luck, it's just plain losing because thy have better cards than you and could have paid for those cards.

Welcome to collectible card games. I guess you never played MTG ?

Part of the fun for many people is making the best out for the cards they have available and working to increase their collection. It only makes sense that people who put a lot more time OR money into the game have more deck options available to them.

Once you get start looking at decks around rank ~7, you can pretty quickly see that they have full decks without many missing cards. And those players usually have enough cards to change their deck around to respond to meta gaming. Someone missing three or four cards for a deck they want may be stuck at rank 11, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They still have improvements to make to their deck and keep ranking up. Someone with all the card just can't rank up because they play worse than other people.

as I said and the two after you as well... welcome to card games

LOL!!!! I get an invite then it goes to openbeta. :rolleyes:

Slipper, did you get my friend request?

Names FecalFighter.

I am currently just trying to unlock the basic cards for each class. I have the priest and mage complete. It is a dumb process just playing practice over and over but meh.

I am currently just trying to unlock the basic cards for each class. I have the priest and mage complete. It is a dumb process just playing practice over and over but meh.

you can play against people..if you beat that class, you unlock said class..thats what i did.

btw, stayed up till 1 am playing this damn thing..never played a card game before but always wondered what all the hub bub was about....now I know

well played blizzard, well played

you can play against people..if you beat that class, you unlock said class..thats what i did.

btw, stayed up till 1 am playing this damn thing..never played a card game before but always wondered what all the hub bub was about....now I know

well played blizzard, well played

I cant figure out which classes on expert I already beat lol, I joined yesterday and so far mage seems really OP. I lost my first 2 casual unranked matches but have won the next 10 straight matches. Takes forever to get new packs without paying for them. I cant decide whether I want to buy the 15 pack or the 40 pack.

If anyone cares to play with a noob pm.

Back