Hearthstone

I've been playing a lot since yesterday evening. Unlocked all the decks and got a few to 20/20 status.

Decided to start off in Play mode by playing the Paladin deck, I'm 6-0 without any effort.

Just some small weenies, then some big bruisers with taunt, and those 5/6 guys with 6 healing points on me, 2 of those, and 2 Flashes of Light.

I've had some close games, but the majority haven't even been close. I think Paladin is a great starter deck for anyone wanting to just try out a starter deck and jump into the deep end of the pool.

Here is my list

2x Blessing of Might
1x Humility
2x Goldshire Footman
2x Stonetusk Boar
2x Holy Light
1x Argent Protector
2x Ironforge Rifleman
2x Shattered Sun Cleric
2x Blessing of Kings
2x Consecration
2x Hammer of Wrath
2x Gnomish Inventor
2x Nightblade
2x Stranglethorn Tiger
1x Lord of the Arena
2x Guardian of Kings
1x Stormwind Champion

What this deck does really well is that you're likely to draw some weenies and some small bodies to get some creatures on the board, and you also have some board clear with Consecration and Hammer of Wrath. The key to Hammer of Wrath is it also allows you to target damage anywhere AND draw a card. If you'll notice, I have a few cards that allow you to draw cards, I believe that card draw helps you win games.

The creatures with taunt are there to help you last long enough to get your big bruisers out and keep the damage off of you.

What I really like about Paladin is his underrated hero power. Nothing quite like playing a turn 1 Stonetusk Boar, then a turn 2 1/1 creature if you have nothing else to play that turn. Or simply stacking up the 1/1 tokens whenever your mana and opportunity permit. Since you have creatures and spells that add buffs to it, it's just the icing on the cake when you can pull that off.

If anyone has suggestions, criticism, or comments, I'm down to hear it. I haven't spent any cash on the game yet, waiting until next payday to spend a few ducats on it.

I've been playing a lot since yesterday evening. Unlocked all the decks and got a few to 20/20 status.

Decided to start off in Play mode by playing the Paladin deck, I'm 6-0 without any effort.

Just some small weenies, then some big bruisers with taunt, and those 5/6 guys with 6 healing points on me, 2 of those, and 2 Flashes of Light.

I've had some close games, but the majority haven't even been close. I think Paladin is a great starter deck for anyone wanting to just try out a starter deck and jump into the deep end of the pool.

Here is my list

2x Blessing of Might
1x Humility
2x Goldshire Footman
2x Stonetusk Boar
2x Holy Light
1x Argent Protector
2x Ironforge Rifleman
2x Shattered Sun Cleric
2x Blessing of Kings
2x Consecration
2x Hammer of Wrath
2x Gnomish Inventor
2x Nightblade
2x Stranglethorn Tiger
1x Lord of the Arena
2x Guardian of Kings
1x Stormwind Champion

What this deck does really well is that you're likely to draw some weenies and some small bodies to get some creatures on the board, and you also have some board clear with Consecration and Hammer of Wrath. The key to Hammer of Wrath is it also allows you to target damage anywhere AND draw a card. If you'll notice, I have a few cards that allow you to draw cards, I believe that card draw helps you win games.

The creatures with taunt are there to help you last long enough to get your big bruisers out and keep the damage off of you.

What I really like about Paladin is his underrated hero power. Nothing quite like playing a turn 1 Stonetusk Boar, then a turn 2 1/1 creature if you have nothing else to play that turn. Or simply stacking up the 1/1 tokens whenever your mana and opportunity permit. Since you have creatures and spells that add buffs to it, it's just the icing on the cake when you can pull that off.

If anyone has suggestions, criticism, or comments, I'm down to hear it. I haven't spent any cash on the game yet, waiting until next payday to spend a few ducats on it.

I'd spend gold only on Arena. if you get good enough, then you can sustain Arena entry price and it gives good variety for gameplay.

I'd take your Paladin took to Ranked and see how far deep it gets in Ranked and you can identify which decks do well against your Paladin deck

I've got a simple Mage deck that has got up to Rank 14 so far. it tends to lose to super aggro rush Hunter beast decks and to a deck that can play a Legendary card or two in the late game. it's done very well against everything else it's faced through Ranked although I expect it to start having issues whenever I start reaching a Rank where most decks run some Legendaries.

here's the deck at the moment. it only has 4 cards from Expert card packs and no Legendary cards.

1x Worgen Infiltartor
2x Frostbolt
2x Acidic Swamp Ooze
1x Novice Engineer
2x Arcane Intellect
1x Jungle Panther
2x Shattered Sun Cleric
1x Wolfrider
2x Fireball
2x Polymorph
2x Chillwind Yeti
1x Defender of Argus
2x Sen'jin Shieldmaster
1x Spellbreaker
2x Water Elemental
2x Frostwolf Warlord
1x Boulderfist Ogre
1x Reckless ROcketeer
2x Flamestrike

Last edited:
If anyone happens to care there is a tournament tomorrow sponsored by Razer, Semi's up will be cast by Kripp and Trump. Best of 3 until ro8 the bo5, 3 different hero's loser changes, must be able to stream (for if you get to semi's). $75 for first, $25 for second, and some misc giveaways during an AMA during the tournament and probably during the stream.

http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=723

When I tried the open beta a few days ago I couldn't help but wonder what was so special about it. Of course, the next time I actually looked at the clock it was almost two hours later.

Pretty addicting and fun to play. Currently settling on Druid and Warlock.

I made it to the ro16 before I lost. Lost to a guy who hasn't lost a single game all day, won his previous 3 matches 2:0 and did the same with mine.

Edit: He's also apparently #1 and 2 in EU on 2 different accounts.

Last edited:
not sure if this is me bitching or not, but I find it amusing and annoying that I can draft a far superior Rogue deck in Arena than I create and play with outside Arena because of greater access to Rogue specific cards beyond the standard 20 you get access to after Lvl 10

Those Hunter decks make me mad, Hunter is stupidly effective once they get their combo going.

For anyone starting out I would suggest buying a 40 pack of cards, unless you are super hardcore about earning things in a F2P game. It's really only the price of a video game or a dinner out on the town, depending on your town!

Also, I would not suggest people play casual games that are just starting out, you will more than likely get your butt handed to you as most of the casual games give you people who have been playing a lot longer than you. You have a far better chance getting someone on the same skill level as you in a "ranked game" and there is nothing wrong with losing in ranked until you get going past rank 20 you cannot lose ranks. This is a fast way to earn gold and play arena's to get more packs.

I played magic for years in the past,
I bought 60 or so packs so far
I unlocked all the decks with most of them around LvL15
I suck in the Arena really bad , cant get over 3 wins.

Any tips?

Probably best to watch one of top streamers and observe which cards they are choosing.

Any tips?

Yea I play magic a lot as well. Its really different because of the ability to straight attack the life points. If you are going to trade and they dont have taunt hit their LP on your turn, on theirs they will probably trade the minions. As always with card games the more you play the better you know the tactics.

Any tips?

http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/index.php?show_part=22

you can make use of draft tier lists

just don't treat them as absolute

there will be cases where choosing a lower quality card is a better for mana curve / deck fit

other thing is composition of creatures and non-creature cards

I'm finding I really like playing with around 10 non-creature cards to help with board control

Last edited:
Building up a Druid and Warlock deck. Only works for casual though as they're build around a theme. (nature and demons) Missing many cards needed for ranked play. I tried some of the builds online, but for some reason I can't enjoy the game or focus enough if there's too much variation in minions.

The flow in the Druid deck feels more or less right, enough cards that allow drawing new cards so I never really run out. Heavily taunt based, I noticed that most games in casual last long for a Druid. My Warlock games seem pretty short (demon-minion based, except for Felguard and Void Terror) and I have to practice a lot more to get a better feeling for his ability to draw new cards and when to sacrifice life and when to discard cards. I still seem to run out of cards more than I would like.

I'm looking forward to try out the Arena feature, it seems like pretty fun.

Building up a Druid and Warlock deck. Only works for casual though as they're build around a theme. (nature and demons) Missing many cards needed for ranked play. I tried some of the builds online, but for some reason I can't enjoy the game or focus enough if there's too much variation in minions.

The flow in the Druid deck feels more or less right, enough cards that allow drawing new cards so I never really run out. Heavily taunt based, I noticed that most games in casual last long for a Druid. My Warlock games seem pretty short (demon-minion based, except for Felguard and Void Terror) and I have to practice a lot more to get a better feeling for his ability to draw new cards and when to sacrifice life and when to discard cards. I still seem to run out of cards more than I would like.

I'm looking forward to try out the Arena feature, it seems like pretty fun.

Unless Life Tapping will kill you in the next turn, you want to be tapping on damn near every turn you have two spare mana. If you are worried about life total, you may have already lost board control and are headed for a loss.

Warlock do well with a rush deck where you flood the board or a Giants control deck where you want a low life total for Molten Giants and lots if extra cards in your hand for Mountain Giants. Not easy to do a mid game game deck with a Warlock.

i just went 7-3 in arena last night and i only got 1 pack and 175 gold... back in the day i use to get so much more awards i think they should retweak the award system in arena.. seems a lil weak to be honest.

Divine spirit + divine spirit + inner fire. Such a fucking bullshit combo. I've been taken out twice by this combo. Instant 20ish damage minion. Bullshit.

Unless Life Tapping will kill you in the next turn, you want to be tapping on damn near every turn you have two spare mana. If you are worried about life total, you may have already lost board control and are headed for a loss.

Warlock do well with a rush deck where you flood the board or a Giants control deck where you want a low life total for Molten Giants and lots if extra cards in your hand for Mountain Giants. Not easy to do a mid game game deck with a Warlock.

Thank you for the advice. It seems I have to get over my worry about dropping health and just take some risks. If I understand correctly it comes down to getting as much cards as possible and hoping you'll be able to control/finish the game fast?

I'm really enjoying the game so far, I'm thinking about buying a few packs (maybe around 15), if nothing else I could use the disenchant dust to get some cheaper cards.

Divine spirit + divine spirit + inner fire. Such a fucking bullshit combo. I've been taken out twice by this combo. Instant 20ish damage minion. Bullshit.

what did they cast it on? what type of minion? which one?

Thank you for the advice. It seems I have to get over my worry about dropping health and just take some risks. If I understand correctly it comes down to getting as much cards as possible and hoping you'll be able to control/finish the game fast?

I'm really enjoying the game so far, I'm thinking about buying a few packs (maybe around 15), if nothing else I could use the disenchant dust to get some cheaper cards.

With a Rush deck you want to end the game by turn 6 or 7, so yeah load up the board with threats and go balls out.

I have a decent Lock rush deck I use for dailies, I'll post the list later, most of the cards are commons

Gulbashi beserker on one (28/28 minion.. awesome.) And then once on some 5 health creature, can't remember which now.

Finally got a good pack. 1 Epic, 1 Legendary, 2 Rares and a common. All for classes I dont use. Still pretty cool because up until then I didnt have any legendary or epics.

EDIT: I dont know if I should be complaining but second pack of the day and I get an epic, rare and legendary all not in my two main classes lol. God...

Last edited:
I bought 46 packs and only got 2 Legendaries, but one of them was Deathwing :p

The great thing about this game is that it's still surprisingly fun on the extreme casual end of the spectrum. I log in and play a few games only occasionally and I'm using only starter decks. It's still an enjoyable experience. I probably couldn't do it hardcore though because I hate feeling helpless during my turns.

I bought 46 packs and only got 2 Legendaries, but one of them was Deathwing :p

lol, I want deathwing so bad. I got 2 King Krush, Ragnaros, and King Velen when i bought my 40 pack. Rag was the only thing I wanted in the 4 legendaries.

Can you get epics and legendaries from arena packs or only from purchased packs? I haven't gotten a ton but so far I've only gotten rares from arena packs and haven't purchased any.

Can you get epics and legendaries from arena packs or only from purchased packs? I haven't gotten a ton but so far I've only gotten rares from arena packs and haven't purchased any.

You can get them from arena packs, its all the same thing.

My friend got a legendary yesterday from arena pack he got harrison jones.

just started playing this game this week. Pretty fun so far, made some stupid mistakes because I didn't quite understand the game. I'm still learning but it's good for wasting time.

I've only been playing casuals and have my Mage up to 14, should I be playing ranked? I'm also still using a non custom deck because I don't really know the good cards to pick yet.

just started playing this game this week. Pretty fun so far, made some stupid mistakes because I didn't quite understand the game. I'm still learning but it's good for wasting time.

I've only been playing casuals and have my Mage up to 14, should I be playing ranked? I'm also still using a non custom deck because I don't really know the good cards to pick yet.

you can try out ranked, it's a bit random now early levels since the ladder was just reset, and you'll run into some powerful decks at the 20-18 range, eventually that will scale up to like rank 14 and higher (rank 1)

you start out at rank 25 and you can't lose stars/progression until you get to rank 20

unlock all the heroes , play all the expert modes, then u'll learn a lot then play ranked.

A couple of nights ago I was playing with my Hunter deck... can't remember what my opponent was playing. I just remember that I was down to 9 health with no Taunt creatures and he had 11-12 potential damage on the board.

I dropped 2 Call The Hounds (is that the name?) and summoned 5 (reached minion limit) 2/2 Charging hounds (had a 1/1 buff minion in play).

I nailed the guy, only losing 1 or 2 of my hounds and kept my others. I had a ton of potential damage on the field now. Apparently my threat was so great that he forgot basic math- he conceded even though he could have killed me on his turn!

A couple of nights ago I was playing with my Hunter deck... can't remember what my opponent was playing. I just remember that I was down to 9 health with no Taunt creatures and he had 11-12 potential damage on the board.

I dropped 2 Call The Hounds (is that the name?) and summoned 5 (reached minion limit) 2/2 Charging hounds (had a 1/1 buff minion in play).

I nailed the guy, only losing 1 or 2 of my hounds and kept my others. I had a ton of potential damage on the field now. Apparently my threat was so great that he forgot basic math- he conceded even though he could have killed me on his turn!

Hah! Now that's a good story lol.

I was nearly dead in one game, when I summoned Deathwing and won, the guy had me dead until I played Deathwing, and then he had nothing to destroy Deathwing, and so I won.

AI difficulty, normal or expert I think are the two - he's referring to just the higher/est difficulty, you also get another 100g for beating all of them on the two difficulties

Didn't know about this- thanks! Now I can finance another Arena match.

AI difficulty, normal or expert I think are the two - he's referring to just the higher/est difficulty, you also get another 100g for beating all of them on the two difficulties

what he said ^ :D

Any tips?

Watch Trump on youtube, he plays professionally and streams his entire Arena runs, watch his picks.

He also has a list of cards to chose in Arena, best thing to do is weigh out your picks and figure out what is going to work the best.

By card 10 of 30, you should have an idea which direction you want the deck to go in, but hoping for the cards you need doesn't always happen.

Hah! Now that's a good story lol.

I was nearly dead in one game, when I summoned Deathwing and won, the guy had me dead until I played Deathwing, and then he had nothing to destroy Deathwing, and so I won.

I had a similar game, I was getting beat down bad, played a deathwing, was proud of myself...... than he played a Deathwing in response....

I cried.

Back