Headphone experts, please chime in!

wicked_chicken

Limp Gawd
I really want to take the plunge on a nice set of headphones. I prefer they fit over my ear and are durable as I can be a bit rough with things (ei, I'm a 6'1 vet who has to navigate the airport with a 16 month old son. Things tend to get thrown around a bit and I'd like them to survive).

I know a while back I saw some awesome reviews on headphones that I can't seem to find now, but I'd like to get something from Sennheiser or another upper tier brand. I primarily listen to alt rock, electronica, and occasionally dubstep. That being said, I prefer quality sound to sweeping bass.

Any input would be great. I think I can justify something between $250 - $350. I know some of the better headphones can run into four digits, but that's beyond my means at this point.

Thanks [H]!

For on the go, I love my sennheiser over ear momentums. Not totally sure how rugged they are but they sound fantastic, aren't hard to drive, and look great too.

Closed. I'll be using them in a busy research lab where other's would not appreciate the interruption.

My preference has always been for the Audio Technica 700 or 900 models for closed back.

For reference, I have been using Panasonic RP-HC500's since 2005. The active noise canceling has since died, but they work in passive mode. I'm not necessarily looking for ANC headphones, but wanted to provide what I am used to. Sound wise, I think they were decent, though they did have a hiss when the ANC was activated.

Beyer DT770s maybe... Closed back is kind of limiting.

Denon makes some good closed cans. Actually Denon is probably the way I'd go.

a good pair of in-ear can be good to block out sound as well, or you just don't like the feel of them?

I've never had a pair of in-ear is comfortable as my over ear. I have some that have been close, but even then I prefer over hear just so I don't have to mess with them.

true, i prefer in ear , less bulk, but i have had my share of in ear that would never sit right.

I won a pair of Earjax about a year ago, and they've been great, but for whatever reason I like having my audio source to rest on my head where a single tug on the cable wont rip them out of my skull.

You cant beat the Shure MDR 7506 for the price. If you look for open headphones and have the cash go for the Grado Labs SR225i those are my favorite headphones, ever.

I own a modest recording studio en Tijuana and any who know about quality audio will recommend you those options.

headphones are pretty subjective ... hence many loving headphones while some haaate the same cans.

I own and have owned for awhile the audiotechnia ATH-M50 headphones these are excellent (imho) headphones and travel well (fold up ... bit heavier than the 7506's mentioned before but not as bright..

if you have a guitar center store near you ... you could likely hear the 7506's and ATH-M50 (m50x now.. removable cable vs fixed cable of my older M50's)

I think there's a guitar center near me. That's a great idea. What makes a better reference track that I can take along with me?

Beyerdynamic DT880. Comes in a variety of ohm ratings, very neutral but lively sound, suits gaming, music, and movies. Should be supported by a high quality sound card and high quality music (read: lossless source)

Beyerdynamic DT880. Comes in a variety of ohm ratings, very neutral but lively sound, suits gaming, music, and movies. Should be supported by a high quality sound card and high quality music (read: lossless source)

Good cans but he said he wants closed so they won't work. I had initially responded saying DT990s but noticed a response by the OP mentioned closed.

Yup. I can't be flooding my research lab with my tunes (or occasionnally brown noise when I'm being productive). In addition, some isolation would be nice as I'll probably end up using them for research as well.

Beyerdynamic or denon are your best bets for comfort and quality construction and sound. I prefer beyer.

I love my Denon speakers at home. However, Innerfidelity seems to take issue with their cans since 2012. Not sure what the issue is there. I'm still learning.

Guitar Center has the Shures to check out. Maybe I'll make a trip.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
NAD VISO 50s seem to be really really highly regarded by audiophiles right now. Look up reviews from people like the guys at InnerFidelity (who also review the $1000+ range of headphones) have so much good to say about them.

If you wanted to go cheaper, take a look at the Sony MDR-10RNC, NVX XPT100 (or clone), and Beyerdynamic DT770s (will likely need an amp for this last set for the best sound).

Yes. I realize that only being open to closed cans is limiting, but I (and those around me) need a few degrees of separation in terms of audio.

I appreciate all of the feedback. This has all been really helpful!

Would these be almost the same as the ones you linked? I think they are last year's model.
Audio-Technica ATHM50RD Pro DJ Headphones - Red

How do they compare to the the ATH-A700X?

Those M50R's are indeed the old model (not a bad price) they are pretty similar..the main difference between the M50 and M50X models is that the new X model has removable cable..comes with straight and coiled cable.

The M50 or M50X will have more bass than the 700X

Are you using these for flights? If so, there are only two options. The Bose QC15/i or QC20/i. Pointless to buy anything else.

I've been looking for something in the same price range and just pulled the trigger on some hifiman he-400's. They're planar magnetics which is the same style as some of those 4 figure cans and they've gotten pretty rave reviews over at headfi. Might be worth looking at.

if end up finding yourself choosing between the M50's and DT770's (80 ohm), i prefer the DT770's quite a bit more. i auditioned them both a few years back and bought DT770's as a result.

I think I've settled on the AT m50x's. Anything else I should consider at that price point before I pull the trigger?

Thanks everyone. This has been enlightening.

NAD VISO 50s seem to be really really highly regarded by audiophiles right now. Look up reviews from people like the guys at InnerFidelity (who also review the $1000+ range of headphones) have so much good to say about them.

If you wanted to go cheaper, take a look at the Sony MDR-10RNC, NVX XPT100 (or clone), and Beyerdynamic DT770s (will likely need an amp for this last set for the best sound).

Only downside of NAD VISO 50s are their construction which seems to be sub par for a $300 set of cans. I wouldn't recommend them except for audiophiles which are use to modding and dealing with such issues. And its also worth a mention that the headband is a hit or miss experience with many not very happy with its comfort.

Yes the Beyer does have better construction. I noticed each can suggested is on ear versus over the ear. I prefer the latter. If you haven't purchased yet I would say in order:
  • Beyerdynamic DT-770-M-80
  • Audio Technica A700x
  • AKG K701
  • Audio Technica M50x

Technically I would take any of the DT770, but the M class are for extreme ambient noise and have the older stronger body.
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1407375451&sr=1-3&keywords=dt770

Depends what music you listen to. I went w/the Ultrasone Pro 900's and I couldn't be happier... Coupled w/an Asus Essence STX its incredible.

Back