Headphone experts, please chime in!

Mr Speakers Mad Dog's
Hadn't seen them mentioned...

Hanging around my desk right now are the Mad Dogs, HiFiMan HE-400's, and Sennheiser HD600's. Also have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990's in the 600 ohm version.

The Mad Dogs get the majority of my listening time. They have completely taken over for me when I'm gaming. Soundstage is not quite as good as the others (the HE-400's are *amazing* for soundstage and positional audio) but it's more than good enough to get all the good positional cues in games where that's important like Battlefield or Counter-Strike. And they manage that sound stage while being both extremely comfortable, very well isolated from outside noise, and just generally sounding great.

I'd wager I spend about 60% of my time wearing the Mad Dogs with the other 40 split between the HE-400's and the HD600's, depending on whether I'm listening to music or gaming or watching TV or whatever.

The Beyers hang out in their case near my couch for late night movie watching when I don't want to crank the sound up too loud lest I wake people up. They're powered by a Little Dot MKIII tube amp I keep nearby. They're far from neutral with their big bass emphasis and partially forward highs, almost smile curveish, but they're super fun and clear and they work great for movies and TV.

Oh and I also have and have spent a lot of time with a pair of Audiotechnica ATH-AD700's that are rigged up with an Antlion ModMic and the controller adapter for use with my Xbox as a headset.

Despite all that, still spend more time with the Mad Dogs than any other headphone I own. Can't recommend them enough.

Back