HDTV Cables For Dummies

For those wondering...

Blue sharpie marker on yellow, green.
Blue sharpie on white, blue.

Works for color coding some ghetto cables for other people. Forgot to throw that explanation in there.

Just be careful who sees you do that. Some winners might start going to friends' houses to enable HD by magic marker.

Steve - I know Newegg is one of [H]ard's sponsors, but a lot of us swear by monoprice.com for our cables. Don't know if you buy there or not, but it's a sweet site :)

Though $6 for a HDMI cable on the Egg is not much... however Newegg rapes you on shipping, and monoprice is VERY fair.

I have probably given Monoprice at least 10 new customers, only counting real life contacts (not online).... the consumer electronics stores have horrible markup on cables.

Monoprice is absolute win...I just wish they would either establish a west coast warehouse, or make their lowest tier (cheapest) UPS option UPS 3-day from UPS Ground, because it takes a full week for CA to MI orders, and they charge a ~$10 jump to USPS service. :(

...I just wish they would either establish a west coast warehouse, :(
did you mean an east coast location?
They are located on the west coast as it is.
  • Monoprice, Inc.
    9477 London Way
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
    Telephone : (909)989-6887
Rancho Cucamonga is near Ontario, California which is southern California.

Just checking :p

... :cool:

did you mean an east coast location?
They are located on the west coast as it is.
  • Monoprice, Inc.
    9477 London Way
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
    Telephone : (909)989-6887
Rancho Cucamonga is near Ontario, California which is southern California.

Just checking :p

... :cool:

Oh damn - yes, I meant East Coast :eek: It's Friday, my brain is done at work. :p

**** It does matter if:
  • your cables are longer than 5 feet
  • you plan on utilizing the full 340mz for deep color, high bandwidth modes, etc
Basically, look for "1.3a category 2".

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/do-hdmi-cables-matter

Yeah.... but have you looked at what Monoprice sells? They have an abundance of cheap C2 cables.

If you need any other reasons, why not compare shipping on 10 HDMI cables @ the Egg to shipping on 10 similar cables at Monoprice. Don't be surprised to see a $20+ difference.

Back