HDTV as a PC Display - I've finally found one!

How does that make me an ass? Really, I don't see it... 15 LCD's in 4 months? you need help....

Because your post was about something that was only in your mind.
The way you posted it was to try and make other people sound like asses, but laughably, it proved you are one :)

Because your post was about something that was only in your mind.
The way you posted it was to try and make other people sound like asses, but laughably, it proved you are one :)

Ok fine...maybe I shouldn't have generalized, but I read KVW's first post and those 3 things he listed are all false. There are tons of screens that are great as PC monitors with super sharp text, little to no lag, and good dp. Samsung A650. Boom, done! If you buy a 52 inch screen and sit 2 feet in front of it, yes, the text wont be sharp and the pixels will look big but if you do that you are a moron. He should've researched more before even bringing it up. Maybe I should've phrased it differently too. Sorry KVW.

Ok fine...maybe I shouldn't have generalized, but I read KVW's first post and those 3 things he listed are all false. There are tons of screens that are great as PC monitors with super sharp text, little to no lag, and good dp. Samsung A650. Boom, done! If you buy a 52 inch screen and sit 2 feet in front of it, yes, the text wont be sharp and the pixels will look big but if you do that you are a moron. He should've researched more before even bringing it up. Maybe I should've phrased it differently. Sorry KVW.

..."boom done" What are you, 15?

Look an a650 and an a750 have both been in my possession for over 2 weeks each. They are my 3rd best choices for an HDTV PC display. They are slow VPA panels saved only by the fact they have the ability to lower their input lag by labeling HDMI2 to PC mode. However their input lag even while in HDMI2/PC mode STILL lags behind both the LZ800/LZ85 and these LG panels that I created this thread about. Further more, the A650/750 is much more expensive, looks extremely drab and washed out in "PC" mode, has clouding and flash lighting issues, has Quality control issues with the A, B and C type panel lotteries. So boom no, not quite done. :rolleyes:

..."boom done" What are you, 15?

Look an a650 and an a750 have both been in my possession for over 2 weeks each. They are my 3rd best choices for an HDTV PC display. They are slow VPA panels saved only by the fact they have the ability to lower their input by labeling HDMI2 to PC mode. However their input lag even while in HDMI2/PC mode STILL lags behind both the LZ800/LZ85 and these LG panels that I created this thread about. Further more, the A650/750 is much more expensive, looks extremely drab and washed out in "PC" mode, has clouding and flash lighting issues, has Quality control issues with the A, B and C type panel lotteries. So boom no, not quite done. :rolleyes:

Haha. I guess I'm just not as picky as you. Sorry.

No, really though. I apologize. I mistook your initial post as ignorance when in fact you do seem to know your shit. Shake hands and move on?

No, really though. I apologize. I mistook your initial post as ignorance when in fact you do seem to know your shit. Shake hands and move on?

Nope, we'll sit and watch this one a bit longer :)
Popcorn anyone?

no problem. I wouldn't have bothered posting if I didn't think other ppl could benefit from my reading this thread. :cool: At least before frys & best buy ban me. :p

Anyways, one issue I have with the A650 is that with DirectX 10 and my 4870x2, 1920x1080 yields 24hz interlaced mode rather than true 60hz progressive. It's really annoying and I know it's not only limited to Samsung's. I believe it is an ATi issue, but it's hit or miss depending on brand and model of screen.

Anyways, one issue I have with the A650 is that with DirectX 10 and my 4870x2, 1920x1080 yields 24hz interlaced mode rather than true 60hz progressive. It's really annoying and I know it's not only limited to Samsung's. I believe it is an ATi issue, but it's hit or miss depending on brand and model of screen.

Happens for me too (geforce 260 SLI latest nvidia drivers) on this LG and and westinghouse panel I rented on Crysis.

My current work around atm is to create a custom resolution which removes all the other available modes as an option. However it changes the color space and you'll experience extreme black crush. You'll have to fix it by changing a setting on your display or changing your display drivers' Digital Color Format from RGB to YCbCr444. This will fix the black crush but I'm not 100% sure the colors are accurate. Something I'm working on. I was about to install this Radeon HD 4890 I rented to see if it will fix this issue but it looks as though it wont from your post. :(

Hey KVW,

Have you tried any Sharp HDTV's yet? They use S-IPS panels so it might be worth a try. They have been known to have a bit of banding but it may be worth the trade off for the speed increase and quality.

Hey KVW,

Have you tried any Sharp HDTV's yet? They use S-IPS panels so it might be worth a try. They have been known to have a bit of banding but it may be worth the trade off for the speed increase and quality.

Unless things have changed, Sharp uses their proprietary "ASV" technology which is a tri-dot pixel structure in a triangular format, and is a variant of MVA/PVA panels.

The pixel structure and dot pitch make text look a bit funny/fuzzy in comparison to most other types of panels, especially up close.

Unless things have changed, Sharp uses their proprietary "ASV" technology which is a tri-dot pixel structure in a triangular format, and is a variant of MVA/PVA panels.

The pixel structure and dot pitch make text look a bit funny/fuzzy in comparison to most other types of panels, especially up close.

I thought they were using IPS for their larger panels now? Maybe not.

After having both 42" LH40 and LH30's side by side over the weekend, I ended up returning the LH40 to Best Buy today and keeping the LH30. In a nutshell, it's because the added cost in price and lag for LH40's 120hz & motion smoothing didn't meet it's advertised benefit... at least for me, maybe for you as well. You can read details here.

Frys just started carrying these TVs and already discounted them significantly under msrp. I just came back from best buy and had them price match it plus 10% of the difference. I'm now $240 bucks richer than a few weeks ago and still 100% satisfied. More actually since i paid even less for this badass TV/PC screen. :cool:

This is an interesting topic. I have always been interested in using my HDTV as a monitor, but after comparing it to my 30" Dell Panel (3007WFP-HC) I felt like my 52 inch Samsung just looked unclear and "big".

I am wondering if 52 inches is just "too big" for a gaming HDTV. I did not notice any input lag (I play mostly simulators), but a 1920x1080 @ 52 HDTV obviously looks much lower in quality when compared to a PC Panel running 2560x1600 @ 30. On the flip side, running my games at 2560x1600 is starting to get on my nerves. I have a pretty fast system and it is still struggling with some games (no, I don't play Crysis). Running @ 1900x1080 on my 23" Acer makes everything very smooth.

I am wondering if a 37" HDTV would be a good compromise with regards to size and resolution. FSX must look pretty good on a 37" HDTV. On my 52", the aircraft in FSX were huge. lol

37" might be a pretty good choice for me.

I have a 50 inch Pioneer Kuro (plasma) as my computer monitor and I think it's amazing. No, I don't think 52 inch is too big :)

I have been considering a 32LH30, but not sure if I will regret the downgrade in quality from my NEC 2490... =/

For $699 that 37" looks very tempting.

Also would fall into the category of "my wife would kill me".

i have the 3007 and the lack of inputs has officially driven me crazy...

i was thinking about the 3008 or the xhd3000

but this post has turned me to either the 32 37 or 42

42" can be had for $899 at sears...

hmmmm...

I currently have a 37" Westy that has a major bruising problem... I don't really care if the next monitor is an upgrade as long as it's not a downgrade. Will the LG 42LH30 you ended up with be at least as good, if not better, than my Westy?

Thanks, KVW. :)

EDIT: Upon further reading... yes?

Last edited:
I used to have a 40" Sony HDTV for my home theater, but sold it to upgrade to 46" XBR. Before I sold it, I hooked it up to my main gaming PC. Set it up on my Ikea Jerker desk as far back as it would go.

...well, I could not stand how big it was and the screen door effect from large pixels drove me crazy. The image was also horrible calibration wise compared to my NEC 2490.

KVM (here and on AVSForums) has kinda made me want to try a newer HDTV like the LH30 series from LG, but this time I think 32" would be plenty with full 1080P.

So my dilemma is a new 2490v2 or 32LH30 for my next build...

How far back is as far as you can go? I'm sitting a couple inches past 3ft from my 37", and a guy I knew with the 42" Westy was sitting about 4ft back; neither of us see a screen door effect but maybe your monitor was different. :)

I would say about 3 feet. Was using a DVI to HDMI cable. Anyways...it is just personal preference, but I am thinking 32" would be more than enough for me. :)

I currently have a 37" Westy that has a major bruising problem... I don't really care if the next monitor is an upgrade as long as it's not a downgrade. Will the LG 42LH30 you ended up with be at least as good, if not better, than my Westy?

Thanks, KVW. :)

EDIT: Upon further reading... yes?

The Westy was good when it came out, but the LG uses a better IPS panel (vs. S-MVA) and will likely be less laggy from what KVW says. I'd make it a good bet that it would be a better TV and monitor.

Of course I've only seen it in stores, but when I saw the Westys in store I wasn't overly impressed.

The Westy was good when it came out, but the LG uses a better IPS panel (vs. S-MVA) and will likely be less laggy from what KVW says. I'd make it a good bet that it would be a better TV and monitor.

I don't think all the LG TVs have IPS panels.

When I was checking them out in store. I saw different pixel structures and significantly more off angle contrast lost on some. So I think some LG TVs have IPS and some don't.

Also none of the LGs seemed to be quite as good as the Panasonic IPS TVs.

That being said I ended up buying a Samsung 37A530 with AUO MVA panel (ultra brief review) because it was cheap (700 $CDN). I have only two complaints:

1: Off angle contrast loss is quite high, but I can live with it because I tend to sit in the sweet spot for serious watching (good show/movie) and far enough away that moving my head doesn't cause a shift (~8feet) I couldn't tolerate it if I was sitting closer and using as a computer monitor because the shifting would be much more of a pain. As is. Lying down on the couch causes a bit of contrast loss, standing up a bit more, moving to the side or watching from computer desk looks quite awful, but I only watch they news or other things were I don't care about visuals much from there.

2: Standard Poor LCD blacks if watching movies in the dark. This plagues all LCD short of locally dimmed LED lit sets or extreme dynamic contrast that pumps brightness up and down. LCD just isn't it for dark movie watching IMO.

Last edited:
Got one from Best Buy today for $750 all told. The sale apparently ended yesterday but because I went in yesterday and had them put it on hold until today I still got the sale price. :p

Didn't realize it had no DVI ports so gotta wait for a DVI>HDMI cable to come in, Monster can go screw themselves. That gets here Thursday.

I hooked it up via VGA and verified no stuck/dead pixels, although something in the lower left looks... dark. I only saw it on solid backgrounds though so I'll see how it looks once I get a digital cable. Text quality was horrible no matter what I did (tried the settings in the AVS thread), hoping it will be fixable once I get HDMI cable. Am I right in my thinking?

Manufacture date of April 2009 for idle minds.

Got one from Best Buy today for $750 all told. The sale apparently ended yesterday but because I went in yesterday and had them put it on hold until today I still got the sale price. :p

Didn't realize it had no DVI ports so gotta wait for a DVI>HDMI cable to come in, Monster can go screw themselves. That gets here Thursday.

I hooked it up via VGA and verified no stuck/dead pixels, although something in the lower left looks... dark. I only saw it on solid backgrounds though so I'll see how it looks once I get a digital cable. Text quality was horrible no matter what I did (tried the settings in the AVS thread), hoping it will be fixable once I get HDMI cable. Am I right in my thinking?

Manufacture date of April 2009 for idle minds.

Correct, native res looks much better and you can only get that using HDMI with most 1080p TVs.
I dont know of any large TVs that have DVI.
You should get a slightly better picture quality on analogue if you can use exactly half, 1/3, 1/4 the native res, ie 960x540, 640x360...
You may not be able to use those resolutions though or may have to manually create the resolutions in your display adapters properties, there is no harm in trying as you always get the "can you see this yes/no" type message, after which it will revert back to the old setting if you wait.
Also, be sure to turn off overscan on the TV (stretches the display to fit beyond the screen edges) as no matter what res you select, with it on, it will look shite.
Pixel to pixel mapping ftw.

The change in brightness in the corner is likely affected by your seating position, an unfortunate consequence of many LCD technologies.
There is a possibility part of the backlight has failed or there is another issue with the light in that corner, but leave that conclusion for after you have checked that seating position improves it or not.
If it is faulty, you can easily claim another TV on warranty if it was sold as new or with a short warranty for ex display.

I had a sharp Aquos 32LCGp3u for over a year and it was an excellent monitor. Text was sharp and the color was accurate. Would recommend to anyone

It's running in native res, 1920x1080 over VGA (after I turned overscan off, very easy). I believe (and hope!) I have other issues caused by VGA but resolution is not one.

I should have been more specific, I meant one PIXEL was dark in the lower right corner, sorry. :)

One other thing I would throw in is that I like my Westy remote more. The buttons on the Westy feel better and except for the power button, all the buttons I want are down by my thumb. :) On the LG remote the input button is up top with the power button. It's not a deal breaker by any means but just thought I would throw that out there if anyone cares.

Oh, and I dunno if the LVM-37W3 really counts as a TV or not (technically a TV but marketed as a computer monitor IIRC?) , but it has 2 DVI ports.

Last edited:
It's running in native res, 1920x1080 over VGA (after I turned overscan off, very easy). I believe (and hope!) I have other issues caused by VGA but resolution is not one.

I should have been more specific, I meant one PIXEL was dark in the lower right corner, sorry. :)

One other thing I would throw in is that I like my Westy remote more. The buttons on the Westy feel better and except for the power button, all the buttons I want are down by my thumb. :) On the LG remote the input button is up top with the power button. It's not a deal breaker by any means but just thought I would throw that out there if anyone cares.

Oh, and I dunno if the LVM-37W3 really counts as a TV or not (technically a TV but marketed as a computer monitor IIRC?) , but it has 2 DVI ports.

If you have pixel crawling, inteference patterns or what looks a bit like bad focus (impossible on LCD but you get the idea), a better VGA cable may help.
Sometimes there is too large a mismatch between the DAC circuit on the card and the ADC circuit on the monitor to resolve fully.
Luck plays a part as component values/properties vary from rated spec and even when in spec, the right kind of mismatch can still cause issues.

One pixel dark = one stuck pixel.
There have been quite a few posts from other members here who have managed to massage theirs back to life, worth looking into.

Remotes do my head in.
My TV has a single on/off button but it seems to give both on and off signals at once.
I much prefer my amps backlit remote (its ace) so programmed it to do the TV (it has a TV buttons section entirely devoted to TV).
However, it wont turn my TV off, only on, unless I tell the remote (with another button for TV) that it is solely devoted to the TV, then the off button for the amp turns the telly off.
I also cannot set the TVs off timer at all from the amps remote so I need both remotes + the satellite remote still.
grr

Viera link (and other similar tech) is quite good as when enabled, any HDMI devices can be coupled together so that if you turn one on/off, the other does too.
Also, you can change the amps volume by using the remote on the TV, handy if the amps is sat behind the TV.

The LH30 series may be converting to another brand panel because all the adverts listing IPS as a featured spec seem to have dropped that attribute, but the LH40 still advertise it.

I really hope they are not still using those Sharp panels which are horrid for monitor usage, and generally suffer from severe red push.

The Panasonic is legendary, but the LZ800's glossy panel is off-putting for monitor usage. I never had a chance to see the LZ85 which had a matte panel, but they are also on the way out for replacement for 2k9. Panasonic's AS-IPS panels are best-of-breed though, and with the North American models being able to remove the extra digital processing, it also removes the fringed colored text according to AVS users.

In terms of viewing angles the AUO panels are not much worse than the Samsung S-PVA panels, but the S-PVA panels have superior black levels. I checked my brother-in-law's A750 with the trusty Eye One and with 140cdm/2 whites I got a 0.05 cdm/2 black which is as good as I've seen on an LCD. Even the locally dimmed panels have some haloing around light on black color due to the limited 96 "zone" dimming capability.

I don't think all the LG TVs have IPS panels.

When I was checking them out in store. I saw different pixel structures and significantly more off angle contrast lost on some. So I think some LG TVs have IPS and some don't.

Also none of the LGs seemed to be quite as good as the Panasonic IPS TVs.

That being said I ended up buying a Samsung 37A530 with AUO MVA panel (ultra brief review) because it was cheap (700 $CDN). I have only two complaints:

1: Off angle contrast loss is quite high, but I can live with it because I tend to sit in the sweet spot for serious watching (good show/movie) and far enough away that moving my head doesn't cause a shift (~8feet) I couldn't tolerate it if I was sitting closer and using as a computer monitor because the shifting would be much more of a pain. As is. Lying down on the couch causes a bit of contrast loss, standing up a bit more, moving to the side or watching from computer desk looks quite awful, but I only watch they news or other things were I don't care about visuals much from there.

2: Standard Poor LCD blacks if watching movies in the dark. This plagues all LCD short of locally dimmed LED lit sets or extreme dynamic contrast that pumps brightness up and down. LCD just isn't it for dark movie watching IMO.

In terms of viewing angles the AUO panels are not much worse than the Samsung S-PVA panels, but the S-PVA panels have superior black levels. I checked my brother-in-law's A750 with the trusty Eye One and with 140cdm/2 whites I got a 0.05 cdm/2 black which is as good as I've seen on an LCD. Even the locally dimmed panels have some haloing around light on black color due to the limited 96 "zone" dimming capability.

Agree across the board. I accepted the AOU panel because it was only $699 + tax for 37" 1080P TV, the LZ85 was also in store and much better, but was $1099+tax.

If you buy a more expensive samsung for the S-PVA panel you have to make sure that is what you get. Samsung does a lot of panel swapping which is annoying to say the least.

How are Panasonic TC-L26X1 and TC-26LX85? They are both IPS. Can you turn off video processing on these?

Is there any Sharp model that would display the text right or are they all bad?

Thanks.

ok im headed to nfm after work today

the 32 is $599

the 37 is $679

and the 42 is $869

me thinks the 37 is going to get the business

I use a 37" LCD TV as a secondary monitor. I never be able to stand it as a primary. Especially looking at the image quality side by side. Plus TV's tend to overscan which pisses me off when it comes to computer use.

I use a 37" LCD TV as a secondary monitor. I never be able to stand it as a primary. Especially looking at the image quality side by side. Plus TV's tend to overscan which pisses me off when it comes to computer use.

i think that's why the op was so escatic about this display - if you read his avsforums post he's tried something to the tune of 14+ trying to find one that does the job and does it well

apparent using certain settings you can get the xxlh30 line of hdtv's to be really respectable pc monitors

im in it for the gaming / i have all the consoles and a pc capable of that resolution

ill probably buy a little 22incher for main pc and browsing duties

but gaming up close on a 30+" screen ... especially at 1080p is where it's at

Back