• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDD prices rising

I just hope it does not take too long for it to go back to normal. Like with oil, it never really does go back to normal, the prices go up, and never come back down to what they were. I hope this wont be the case here.
Well in here they have SSDs trailing them, given that its not even close yet, in time they will lose the mainstream market staying with mostly storage n servers and eventually that should disappear, but this will probably take decades.

What really worries me, is a under table agreement between WD n Seagate to keep prices up, and not let them go down, there is huge demand for hard drives, the actual situation shows it... but now that there will be only two is much easier to control the market. In a recent video, link, the seagate spokeman, said that dont expect HDDs to go down in price as they used to.... wtf, its like if they already know they are going to control it.
 
That does not sound too good. Guess it almost takes another competitor to come into the market. Though starting a hard drive company is not exactly something one does in a couple days, weeks or even months. More like years.
 
Well it's looks pretty bad but I think some of you are thinking it's worse than it is.

Even if prices stay up as long as some of the smaller hard drives come down enough... just look at what you have and delete the crap you've got stored because you've got dirt cheap storage.

I know I could clean up a lot of stuff I'll never use or burn it do DVD/Blue ray disks.

I think a lot of us could go with much less storage with a little work.

Now as far as building a new rig ya it'll cost a bit more but it's always something..... I remember memory prices jumping like this before and that will make a new rig cost more just as this will.
 
Well in here they have SSDs trailing them, given that its not even close yet, in time they will lose the mainstream market staying with mostly storage n servers and eventually that should disappear, but this will probably take decades.

What really worries me, is a under table agreement between WD n Seagate to keep prices up, and not let them go down, there is huge demand for hard drives, the actual situation shows it... but now that there will be only two is much easier to control the market. In a recent video, link, the seagate spokeman, said that dont expect HDDs to go down in price as they used to.... wtf, its like if they already know they are going to control it.
:( Yeah but the main problem is they have an over abundance of back stock that they could not get out the door for the money it was going to cost them to make them. The flood is the golden opportunity they needed to give an excuse to jack the prices up and slowly let them fall to a higher level...

Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and Hitachi have established plants in Thailand but those are not the only factories that they have just a few of them...
 
:( Yeah but the main problem is they have an over abundance of back stock that they could not get out the door for the money it was going to cost them to make them. The flood is the golden opportunity they needed to give an excuse to jack the prices up and slowly let them fall to a higher level...

Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and Hitachi have established plants in Thailand but those are not the only factories that they have just a few of them...

The problem isn't the HDD factories, it is the NIDEC factory - since they make the motors for all the HDD manufacturers.

The sources also revealed that Japan-based HDD motor supplier Nidec has had close to 2,000 sets of equipment damaged by the floods which may take more than two years to fully recover. The sources pointed out that Nidec is currently seeking equipment from the related industry players, but the claims have not yet been confirmed by Nidec. The sources added that once equipment is submerged in water, the machines will need to be replaced
 
Well it's looks pretty bad but I think some of you are thinking it's worse than it is.

Even if prices stay up as long as some of the smaller hard drives come down enough... just look at what you have and delete the crap you've got stored because you've got dirt cheap storage.

I know I could clean up a lot of stuff I'll never use or burn it do DVD/Blue ray disks.

I think a lot of us could go with much less storage with a little work.

Now as far as building a new rig ya it'll cost a bit more but it's always something..... I remember memory prices jumping like this before and that will make a new rig cost more just as this will.

Smaller drives aren't different to build than bigger ones, so there is not reason for them to be more available, unless the manufacturers choose to prioritize them, which is not really in their interest since they make less money on them.

If anything, manufacturers should concentrate on the bigger drives to make it worth using rare motors.

If you need an OS drive, there are SSDs for that.
 
IN STORE ONLY, I've never seen a Microcenter

Don't worry... having a Microcenter in Houston I can say that they are almost always out of stock for these sales anyways :( No Spinpoint and only 2 Hitachi drives are showing as "in stock"...
 
Don't worry... having a Microcenter in Houston I can say that they are almost always out of stock for these sales anyways :( No Spinpoint and only 2 Hitachi drives are showing as "in stock"...

They have some of the ones i listed which are Refurbished?

Any experience with refurbished drives?
 
I can't believe Newegg..... $289 + Shipping for an OEM 5K3000 3TB, and $399 + Shipping for an OEM 7K3000 3TB.

B & H Still has the retail boxed 5K3000 2TB for $119 delivered, and the 3TB for $169 delivered and there doesn't seem to be a limit.

Not bad...but I think the Hitachi 2 tb 7200 rpm 64 mbs of cache for $120 was a better deal :D. Makes my old Segate 1.5 TB (the "freezer") look archaic :D.
 
IN STORE ONLY, I've never seen a Microcenter

True that they have only a few locations. Then again, I've never been to a Fry's, nor are there any near me....


My microcenter in NoVA is OOS of the spinpoint F4, Barracuda 7200.11, and Hitachi 1.5 tb drives.


I am personally good for a while, though it still makes me a bit nervous knowing that whatever drives I have here, are basically, all I got. I'm almost tempted to buy some more but at those prices, and "just in case" seems silly. But will I kick myself in a few months from now if by chance I get like 4 failures? Tough decision.

I just hope it does not take too long for it to go back to normal. Like with oil, it never really does go back to normal, the prices go up, and never come back down to what they were. I hope this wont be the case here.

Honestly, the price hike made me make a decision to upgrade to a better drive faster. I'de rather have some spares in tow, than none at all.
 
Good thread.

I started work on converting my media server (a core 2 win7 box) into an XBMC / Hyperspin emulation box. Free space on my 500GB Greenpower is about 80GB so I started looking (expecting to get a 1.5-2tb drive for like $70 tops).

I had heard about the Thailand flooding...but holy crap, talk about a price spike over what I ws expecting. Had a 1.5TB Seagate bookmarked on Amazon and it was OOS the next day (DOH!).

Best Buy had a Seagate 1.5TB (or 2TB?) on sale for $75 this week also but their stock was cleaned right out of all of them bigger than 1TB. They still had a few 1TB drives for $65ish but that wasn't big enough for me.

I ended up buying the 3TB external WD on sale for $129 at Best Buy. I'll run it for the another day or so before I pull the drive out of the enclosure.
 
Smaller drives aren't different to build than bigger ones, so there is not reason for them to be more available, unless the manufacturers choose to prioritize them, which is not really in their interest since they make less money on them.

If anything, manufacturers should concentrate on the bigger drives to make it worth using rare motors.

If you need an OS drive, there are SSDs for that.

I know the smaller drives aren't that much different to build if they're building new ones just less platters I'd think but I was thinking more about those of us like me that just use space and not worry about it because it's so cheap.... just buy a bigger drive when it fills up. Rather than buy another hard drive for more storage I'm sure plenty of us including myself could clean up the stuff we've got stored and not need a new drive.

I've been copying my DVD collection into ISO files on my hard drive so I don't have to bother getting out the DVDs..... something I could easily not do if it's gonna cost a ton for a bigger hard drive.... plus I have tons of just I've kept just in case I want it some day.... stuff I'll never used or stuff I've even forgotten about.
 
Ok, i got spooked and ordered a 1TB WD Black Caviar 7200 RPM drive for $120.

I got it here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western...3047091732&skuId=8909595&st=8909595&cp=1&lp=1

Same drive on newegg is selling for $170 !!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136786&Tpk=WDBAAZ0010HNC

I'm personally convinced that it's going to go higher.

So I acted now eventhough this same drive was under $90 a few weeks ago.

Oh well. $hit happens.

Wow, I just checked the bestbuy price and now it's showing $129.99. I ordered it just an hour ago at $119.99

WTF is going on !!!
 
SO I don't know about Caviar Blacks, but 2 TB Caviar Greens are $80 at Best Buy.
 
Here is another one that is interesting. Went into Fry's on Thursday evening & they had a Hitachi 3 TB Cool & Quiet for $159. In this week's ad, they had the same drive listed for $169. What even more sad, is that was practically the cheapest drive (with the exception of the 500 GB drives)

Wow, I just checked the bestbuy price and now it's showing $129.99. I ordered it just an hour ago at $119.99

WTF is going on !!!
 
Wow, I just checked the bestbuy price and now it's showing $129.99. I ordered it just an hour ago at $119.99

WTF is going on !!!

Not sure what their return policy is but one thing to keep in mind is you can buy now and not open it... if the price does come down before the return period is over just take it back or pricematch.....but if you don't buy now and the prices do stay up.... well then your just fucked lol.
 
Not sure what their return policy is but one thing to keep in mind is you can buy now and not open it... if the price does come down before the return period is over just take it back or pricematch.....but if you don't buy now and the prices do stay up.... well then your just fucked lol.

The price is not going down any time soon. That's why I bought now.

It will most likely continue to increase.

They're not predicting a return to "normal" prices until sometime next year.
 
The price is not going down any time soon. That's why I bought now.

It will most likely continue to increase.

They're not predicting a return to "normal" prices until sometime next year.

I figured as much but buying from a local store like BB you can just return it with out having to pay shipping if you changed you mind on it while on the other hand when prices to go up.... you can't pricematch the past.
 
I got a 3tb hitachi from Fry's yesterday for $170. Their prices are up too, but not as gouging as Newegg.
 
SO I don't know about Caviar Blacks, but 2 TB Caviar Greens are $80 at Best Buy.

Good catch, the price must have just change over night. I had been looking at them earlier this week and they were sitting at $109.

Going to pick up 2. I was just finishing up my new home server build when the prices sky rocketed.
 
I was just at Best Buy last night and the only thing they have left at my store is a 2TB Blue for $199 and a 1TB Blue for $120.

They dont have any left, but the Seagate Barracuda 1TB is $70!!! I checked and they dont have in stock in any of the 3 stores in my area. Office Depot does list them on their website for right at $70 so Ill probably hit one today and see if they have any actually in stock.

I dont really need one but if its going to be way into next year before they get things in order, it would be nice to have a backup I didnt have to pay 2 bills for.
 
Office Depot, the first store I see on this topic that exists in my country. Unfortunately, like the competition, they don't sell internal drives, only external ones. They have some competitive drives left, but nothing above 1TB.

I'm already buying used drives, personally. Nothing on eBay since the prices go up too much, but on the main French hardware forum I found a dozen 1.5TB and 2TB drives, under warranty, for ~30€/TB, so I should be able to last a few months. I can delete some stuff I've got, but mostly it's BluRay copies (DVD is so passé :d) and I don't want to rip them again, or HDTV recordings I can't get back later. I'm considering using some backup drives as data drives protected by a FlexRAID parity drive or two, but I'm not ready to take that risk, yet.
 
Putting all your assets into one country where floods are not rare..Fucking brilliant :rolleyes:
 
How much would it cost to build the factories on raised ground or something like that, or maybe just have a floor or two between the ground and the expensive machines, used to store stock that you evacuate before the flood, or non-essential stuff that you can just move up in the building when necessary ?

Then, you have to shutdown while the water is there, but at least you can resume production quickly.
 
You'd think that is stuff they would have thought of in first place.

And 30% price increase is actually optimistic. I was looking for fun at some drives that I bought a few months ago for about 100 bucks, which are now over 200 bucks. (Caviar Black 1TB). It's crazy.

Or here's an interesting concept, why not build factories in multiple places that don't get natural disasters, like some parts of the US or Canada? Manufacturing stuff on this side of the planet, imagine that concept! :p
 
Or here's an interesting concept, why not build factories in multiple places that don't get natural disasters, like some parts of the US or Canada? Manufacturing stuff on this side of the planet, imagine that concept! :p

Labour costs are higher, building costs are higher and shipping raw materials is higher.
Dont forget these kinds of factories use a hell of a lot of fresh water too and the people living nearby probably wont like the amount of crap that gets dumped.

You end up with a situation where you'd either have constantly higher prices or risk this kind of disaster. Thats assuming you can find somewhere in North America that has everything you need but without the earthquakes, floods, tornados and other things you guys get hit with over there too.

Insurance will cover some of their losses, raising prices will too and you can bet they'll be trying to get tax breaks and other handouts from governments involved so they wont have to lay off all those poor starving workers.
 
Ok, I just picked up my 1TB WD Caviar black from BesyBuy for a total of $130. ($120 subtotal + $10 tax).

It's funny because I think I got it for a steal at $120 when actually the same product a few weeks ago was probably under $90.

I challenge anyone to find this product under $120 now !!!

The exact model # is WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN
 
Ok, I just picked up my 1TB WD Caviar black from BesyBuy for a total of $130. ($120 subtotal + $10 tax).

It's funny because I think I got it for a steal at $120 when actually the same product a few weeks ago was probably under $90.

I challenge anyone to find this product under $120 now !!!

The exact model # is WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN

That is actually a very good deal. It's about what I paid before the flooding. Maybe a bit lower. I'm in Canada so everything is more expensive here, which I don't understand because our dollar has been par for quite some time now... but different story.

They are now around $230 on newegg.ca.

And this is a good LOL:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hitachi-1TB-...121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1b1ff799

You know, I have 3 hitachi drives and I'm almost tempted to put them on ebay for a rediculous price to see if I get any bites, but I would feel like a jackass if it worked. I may wait till the shortage is much more serious and sell one of them for like 200-300 though, but I still need spares for myself so I rather keep em.
 
Back
Top