• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDD prices rising

I opened my WD 1TB Caviar Black which was advertised as having 32MB of cahce and I looked at the label and it said 64MB cache???

And the model number does not match what I ordered.

I ordered this: WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN (32 MB cache)

I got this: WD1002FAEX (64 MB Cache)

I'm not complaining but it is mysterious.

When I lookup the 64MB version on Newegg, it's listed at $220 !!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533&Tpk=WD1002FAEX

So I got the same thing for $120 !!

Mind = Blown
 
I believe the one you ordered hasn't been produced for a year or more.
 
The cheapest 1TB on NEWEGG is the Western Digital Caviar Green WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN 1TB SATA 3.0Gb for $129.99+$7.28 Shipping
 
What exactly does this mean? WD cant make any HD's at all? Are prices going to go higher once shortages run out?
 
So why would WD sell the same product under 2 different model #s and sell them at different prices?

This sometimes happens when a manufacturer comes out with a newer model that completely replaces another model but doesn't kill off the old model name for a period of time. I think they do this so they can flush all the old stock out (and fulfill any existing contracts) before discontinuing the previous model.
 
If you guys want to talk politics, there's a place for that in General[M]ayhem. This isn't the place.....
 
My post wasn't poltical. And what the hell is this General[M]ayhem you speak of? There is no off-topic section here.
 
General[M]ayhem is a pay for view area. That's why you can't see it.

If you have any more questions, PM me.....leave it out of this thread. Back on topic, please....
 
What exactly does this mean? WD cant make any HD's at all? Are prices going to go higher once shortages run out?

Not at all this is only one of the plants they have. And each manufacture has several but the bigger issue is the main plants that made the motors for hard drives was also located in the flood zone. Production on a whole is pretty much just reduced by 60% so every thing is going to be more expensive in the short term but most of this inflation of price is due to panic. I expect in about a year we will see drives back to about half of what they are selling at now. Then we will have to fight the manufactures to get the prices driven back down. More than likely we will be seeing solid state drives reach lower prices before spinning disk ones.
 
Last edited:
I was gonna buy peanut butter in mass to try to spin a profit, but I should have jumped on hard drives right away.
 
I was gonna buy peanut butter in mass to try to spin a profit, but I should have jumped on hard drives right away.

You can still load up on HDDs and sell them if it goes higher.

I guess it's no different than buying stocks.
 
I don't see them going that much higher. Before it would have been better. I could have bought more of them, and the prices have since tripled. It's like looking to buy gold or silver at this point. They are pretty much capped out, and if they actually go high enough to make a profit, the dollar will be basically toilet paper at that point.
 
I don't see them going that much higher. Before it would have been better. I could have bought more of them, and the prices have since tripled. It's like looking to buy gold or silver at this point. They are pretty much capped out, and if they actually go high enough to make a profit, the dollar will be basically toilet paper at that point.
they probably will double again... those facilities are not coming back when the water is gone... all the machinery inside them will have to be replaced the entire building will have been saturated with water from the flood if you know what that type of water is like it is not clean water at all... hard drives are constructed in a clean room environment so dust and dirt from the flood have contaminated the clean rooms and destroyed the machinery. At this point if i was a manufacture i would look at the cost of reopening the factory vs building a new one off the flood plane and not having to worry about this possibility next year...

I hope they have good insurance the factories will likely be a total loss...

To recap
1. nidec maker of the motors in 90% of hard drives lost the main facility they made those motors in new location or re purposing and ramp up of production from other factories.
2. western digital 60% of production went on in thai facilities other facilities are going to have to ramp up or cover the production shortages until a new factory can be built or the old factory brought back into operation...
3. seagate, hitachi, samsung, toshiba as far as i heard damage to the facilities has been minimal and seagate having the worst of it with some water in the facilities the others have had to deal with having no power to run the machines and the supply lines being blocked...

so this again is nature we are talking about and it frequently likes to dole out ass beatings... so this could happen next year too... hard drives will continue to rise in price as supply diminishes the best way to prevent that is to not panic and only buy what is needed but since that wont happen buy what you can now it will only get worse from here on...
 
Not sure what their return policy is but one thing to keep in mind is you can buy now and not open it... if the price does come down before the return period is over just take it back or pricematch.....but if you don't buy now and the prices do stay up.... well then your just fucked lol.

Most places will only pricematch for 30 days. Unfortunately, I highly doubt this spike will drop in that time (or anytime soon). =(
 
You can still load up on HDDs and sell them if it goes higher.

At these prices, I may need to reconsider selling my drives. Are people actually paying these crazy prices on ebay for them? I cleared out my local MC of 3tb drives the week after the flood. I have over 40 of them (still unopened) sitting on my desk. Ended up buying them for $124/each.

My original build wanted 24 of them. Plus another 2 for (just in case) replacement spares. Even tho it's in the works, I won't be getting the box finished til end of month at earliest. It'll probably be closer to mid dec anyways. I need space, but not end-of-life/OMG-I'm-gonna-die space crunched atm. I figuring these would last hopefully next til spring/summer of next year before I require another upgrade. I may need to reconsider selling if prices keep on going up. It's getting more and more tempting.

Guess I'll wait til its closer to the holidays. If I'm not using all of them, I'll have to see going rates then.
 
At these prices, I may need to reconsider selling my drives. Are people actually paying these crazy prices on ebay for them? I cleared out my local MC of 3tb drives the week after the flood. I have over 40 of them (still unopened) sitting on my desk. Ended up buying them for $124/each.

My original build wanted 24 of them. Plus another 2 for (just in case) replacement spares. Even tho it's in the works, I won't be getting the box finished til end of month at earliest. It'll probably be closer to mid dec anyways. I need space, but not end-of-life/OMG-I'm-gonna-die space crunched atm. I figuring these would last hopefully next til spring/summer of next year before I require another upgrade. I may need to reconsider selling if prices keep on going up. It's getting more and more tempting.

Guess I'll wait til its closer to the holidays. If I'm not using all of them, I'll have to see going rates then.

just look at completed listings on ebay, that will tell you if they are selling or not.
 
So we could see prices of 1TB HDDs reach $400 if prices double again !!!!

You ain't seen nothin yet !!!!!
 
Personally I have a hard time believing that this trend of increasing prices can continue. I am just going to make due with what I have and wait 1-2 years with replenishing if the market stays this insane. Those price fixing "bastards" (Seagate/Samsung) are not getting my money.

This whole thing, makes one wonder what is next? Which factory producing crucial parts, is going to be hit next and what kind of hardware is going to be affected?
 
According to revenue projections by Seagate, their prices haven't been increased that much, not even 20%. The main increase happens down the line, mainly because supply is very short of demand.
 
I really wish I'd picked up 2/3TB drives when they were dirt cheap a few months and there were so many deals. I'm in the process of building a server and never saw this coming. Now I may have to put the whole project on hold since there's no point getting hardware with no storage!
 
At these prices, I may need to reconsider selling my drives. Are people actually paying these crazy prices on ebay for them? I cleared out my local MC of 3tb drives the week after the flood. I have over 40 of them (still unopened) sitting on my desk. Ended up buying them for $124/each.

My original build wanted 24 of them. Plus another 2 for (just in case) replacement spares. Even tho it's in the works, I won't be getting the box finished til end of month at earliest. It'll probably be closer to mid dec anyways. I need space, but not end-of-life/OMG-I'm-gonna-die space crunched atm. I figuring these would last hopefully next til spring/summer of next year before I require another upgrade. I may need to reconsider selling if prices keep on going up. It's getting more and more tempting.

Guess I'll wait til its closer to the holidays. If I'm not using all of them, I'll have to see going rates then.

New boxed 3TB Hitachis are selling (completed sales) for 150-180 delivered. People can list anything they want for however much they want.
 
So we could see prices of 1TB HDDs reach $400 if prices double again !!!!

You ain't seen nothin yet !!!!!

I saw a 3TB drive at newegg for 400 bucks, so I believe it. The worse has yet to come.

I have 28 250GB drives and another 28 400GB drives, I wonder if they will be worth 100 bucks at some point? EBAYYY!!! :D
 
If you can't be a part of the solution at least be part of the problem??? .....

....le sigh...
 
There are many sites that have drives listed but NONE is STOCK.

I would gladly buy it at that price IF i could damn well find one!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, I actually had to pick one up at the next city over. They were out at both the Best Buys here. Still, if you can get your hands on one, it's a good deal. (Assuming you like green drives, which I do)
 
Yeah, I actually had to pick one up at the next city over. They were out at both the Best Buys here. Still, if you can get your hands on one, it's a good deal. (Assuming you like green drives, which I do)

If you like green drives or not a good deal. I would prefer a performance drive myself if I was using it as my main system drive.... with a SSD and this as storage though green or not green doesn't matter much to me. At this price compared to where everything else has gone this is a steal. Glad I've got two ordered and several other drives all ready received :).
 
Can someone confirm for me that 2.5" drives are just as affected as 3.5" drives? I swear every article I read has some notation about laptops and netbooks being affected just as bad. People are saying that the 2.5" drives should not be effected. Of course they can't cite their reference but claim they're looking for it somewhere.
 
Back
Top