HD69XX @ newegg

Anyone's order ship out yet? I've been hearing about delays lately.

I tried placing an order at Newegg a few months back. Placed the order Sunday morning, and by Tuesday afternoon the order hadn't even processed, let alone shipped. I canceled the order.

Will wait until after the holidays. Should have some optimized drivers out as well as versions with a better cooling solution. Will be aiming for an HD 6970 non stock version. Since those with the better HSF's usually come factory OC'ed.

I ordered an XFX 6950 last night and it already shows it as shipped. I've only had my 6870 for about a month, but figure the 2gb of ram was worth the purchase. I'll probably sell the 6870 on ebay for 200 flat in about a week.

I'm wondering if Asus is going to make a 6970 MATRIX/ROG/ARES type card, so I'm a little skeptical to buy now. Still, these seem to be great prices... Unfortunately, on Amazon and elsewhere they're not 350-370 anymore, they're 440!

As I have a 4870x2, its getting time to upgrade. I'm not sure if I want to buy soon if I can get it for a good price, wait for a "Good version 6970 or two", consider Antilles, or buy a pair of 6850s or 6870s to hold me over until HD7000.

Last edited:
Who cares if they make another ARES; something like a 6970 X2, it doesn't matter, it's still a bad decision to buy one.

Who cares if they make another ARES; something like a 6970 X2, it doesn't matter, it's still a bad decision to buy one.

I'm not planning to buy the highest end custom dual card, but I think everyone can agree that the RoG Matrix 5870 Platinum 2gb is amongst the best 5870 available? It had a favorable review here as well. I'm gathering that projects like ARES and MARS led to less costly "high end" offerings like the Matrix editions.

Its hard to make an informed decision on purchasing if the market has a habit of holding back. Without being able to see the average price and performance of the "Fancy" 6970s (ie. Remember how the 5870 came out with standard, 2gb, and 2gb Eyefinity 6 editions, as well as custom variants adding coolers and whatnot, like the Asus RoG ), as well as the 6990 in all its iterations (ie. The 5970 and 4870x2 were very different cards comparing to their single GPU offerings at the time), its difficult make an informed decision.

What the hell, I ordered my 6970 last night and it has not shipped yet. They've charged my card already, so the status is still sitting at 'Charged'. I'm gonna get pissed if they don't ship it out tonight.

just bought a XFX 6950 for the time being (until ASUS RoG 6970 comes out) while at the same time replacing this gawd awful 5830..

Just bought a Sapphire, since XFX cards don't appear to be packaged with a DP adapter.

I got the Sapphire as well but mostly for the price.

I wasn't concerned about the DP adapter because I can get a 6' mini to regular DP cable for just over $4 from monoprice. So I just went there and ordered that plus a few other things I needed.

Ok, so I am considering upgrading my 5870 to a 6970. My 5870 uses two 6 pin power connectors, however the 6970 uses a 6 pin and an 8 pin, which isnt included on my power supply. Will the 2 molex to 8 pin adapter be sufficient? I didnt see one of them included with the xfx brand 6970 which is a bummer, since I bought the 5870 xfx at launch and I would prefer to stay with xfx.

Will the 2 molex to 8 pin adapter be sufficient?
That should work just fine.

A little off topic, but the instruction manual that came with my XFX 4890 said "Do not use with 4-pin molex adapter", and the card came with one!

Last edited:
In for a Sapphire 6950 yesterday. Confirmation email this morning and the tracking shows it is on the truck. I'm positive this was the most confusing hardware purchase ever. I had my eye on a 570, and now I'm wondering if I made the correct choice.

XFX 6970 shipped from California and scheduled to arrive Monday

Last edited:
Anyone who needs accessories like mDP to DP adapters can PM me or contact our support team.

Ordered an XFX 6970 last night and got the tracking number this afternoon. Can't wait for this card as it'll blow my 8800 GTS 512 out of the water.

Back