HD 5770: Mainstream or Enthusiast level

5770: Enthusiast or Mainstream

• Hells Yeah, The 5770 with its wonderful, near 4890 performance is a card for the Kings!

Votes: 19 13.2%
  • Hells no, the 5770 is a mainstream with a decent value, but isnt worth naming your child after

Votes: 125 86.8%

• Total voters

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
There seems to be like 85 threads concerning the 5770 and whether or not it is to be considered enthusiast or mainstream. So, I wanted to gather to concensus of the group to help shed light on 5770's status amongst hardware buffs in this forum.

Vote away please and comment if you desire

It's budget, regardless how it compares to last gen it is this generations weakest link.

guys, you were suppose to wait till I posted the awesome poll

I'm sooooo serial guys, im thsuper pissed now

Was hoping for better performance, but the price (only slight more than a new 4870 1GB) and low idle power and DX11 make it half decent. Still disappointed about the performance, but at 1680x1050, it won't have any problem playing anything maxed out (right?).

Was hoping for better performance, but the price (only slight more than a new 4870 1GB) and low idle power and DX11 make it half decent. Still disappointed about the performance, but at 1680x1050, it won't have any problem playing anything maxed out (right?).

Except for Crysis, yes. It can even max out games at 2560x1600, case in point Batman.

Except for Crysis, yes. It can even max out games at 2560x1600, case in point Batman.

Thanks, I know my resolution lets me get cheaper cards and I don't upgrade much so I'd like to buy a card now that will last me for a couple of years.

The other thing to consider is that the 5770 looks to be a VERY impressive overclocker!
4870's aren't known for their great overclocking.
So once you've got that 5770 running at 960/1400 or higher, it will really burn rubber and should leave the 4870 in its rearview mirror.
And of course you get nice benefits like dx11, eyefinity, and low power consumption. :)

The other thing to consider is that the 5770 looks to be a VERY impressive overclocker!
So once you've got that 5770 running at 960/1400 or higher, it will really burn rubber and should leave the 4870 in its rearview mirror.
And of course you get nice benefits like dx11, eyefinity, and low power consumption. :)

just because you can overclock a cards clock speeds slightly higher then another doesn't mean that it will outperform more powerful/lower clocked cards. For example, a 4770 at 950 mhz core won't hold a candle to a 750mhz 4870. That is like saying the greater amount of RAM onboard, the higher the performance. Anyone who knows anything at all about hardware knows that that is not a determinant of a cards performance. I had to talk a friend out of buying a 8600gt 1gb over a 9600GT 512mb.

An overclocked mid range card is still a mid range card and benchmarks and gaming performance is testament to this

just because you can overclock a cards clock speeds slightly higher then another doesn't mean that it will outperform more powerful/lower clocked cards. For example, a 4770 at 950 mhz core won't hold a candle to a 750mhz 4870. That is like saying the greater amount of RAM onboard, the higher the performance. Anyone who knows anything at all about hardware knows that that is not a determinant of a cards performance. I had to talk a friend out of buying a 8600gt 1gb over a 9600GT 512mb.

An overclocked mid range card is still a mid range card and benchmarks and gaming performance is testament to this

I would have liked to see the benches for the overclocked 5770 and 5750. The HardOCP article did state that the architecture of the 5700 series is exactly the same as the 5800 series except for having fewer shaders and the 128 bit memory bus. I suspect that the 5700 series has higher binned memory speeds, judging by the overclocks that they reached.

sub-budget

It is the card a homeless person would consider if they were to put together their own computer

Budget obviously. Pairing one of them with a i7 setup would be silly, in my opinion. Seems the lower memory bandwidth really hurts its performance in GTA IV:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-13.html

They still require a dedicated power connector as well so I don't see these as a good alternative to the HD4670 either for light gaming / HTPC builds.

Seems the only people these cards are good for are those who can't afford stepping up to a 5850 or game at a lower resolution where the power of the 5850 is unneeded. Just my two cents.

Budget obviously. Pairing one of them with a i7 setup would be silly, in my opinion. Seems the lower memory bandwidth really hurts its performance in GTA IV:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-13.html

They still require a dedicated power connector as well so I don't see these as a good alternative to the HD4670 either for light gaming / HTPC builds.

Seems the only people these cards are good for are those who can't afford stepping up to a 5850 or game at a lower resolution where the power of the 5850 is unneeded. Just my two cents.

Crossfire HD5770 looks broke. ATI has to fix that.

It's a budget mainstream card with some nice features.

No idea how some of you could vote otherwise well unless it makes you feel more like a king or something.

And Sonda5, come on man now you quoting and replying to your self. If you have something more to add to your original post edit it in.

A disappointment, as I expected when I saw the pricing and performance of the 5850 and 5870. At $200 and below, you now have to choose between DX11 features or better performance in DX10 games.

It's even more evident now that if Nvidia hadn't messed up wth Fermi, the 5850 would have been $199 just like the 4850 was at launch. The 5770 is a $100 - $129 part like the 4770 when it launched, as the benchmarks clearly show. ATI targeted this card for one market, but pulled it into the segment above it because of the lack of competition.

At least this means I can hold on to my 4850 for a little longer. It's only really slower than the 5770 when games use more than 512MB of video RAM.

A disappointment, as I expected when I saw the pricing and performance of the 5850 and 5870. At $200 and below, you now have to choose between DX11 features or better performance in DX10 games.

It's even more evident now that if Nvidia hadn't messed up wth Fermi, the 5850 would have been $199 just like the 4850 was at launch. The 5770 is a $100 - $129 part like the 4770 when it launched, as the benchmarks clearly show. ATI targeted this card for one market, but pulled it into the segment above it because of the lack of competition.

At least this means I can hold on to my 4850 for a little longer. It's only really slower than the 5770 when games use more than 512MB of video RAM.

Yeah tbh until there are alot of dx11 games on the market or there is 1 game that you must play in dx11 and you own a 4870/4890 even a 4850 at lower res then there is little point to upgrade to this atm. (imo)

Sure if you have an older gfx card that doesnt perform as well anymore, your resolution isn't very high or if you just must have dx11 and can't afford a 5850/5870 - then this could be a perfect upgrade due to the price.

In no way am i saying these cards are bad (5750/5770), just if you have a 4870/4890 i don't see any point in "upgrading" (if you call it an upgrade) to one of these cards - wait until the prices come down, you've saved enough money to get a higher card or there is a game you must play in dx11.

Upgrading last season's high end part for the current midrange part is something that almost never happens, unless the old part was a design failure or the new one is an overachiever. They're for the folks with last years low end part or who's held on to their old highend stuff way too long. With 5850's at a mere 260 dollars these seem to make the most sense for a budget minded upgrade if you already have a fast card.

Decent mainstream card. It competes against the HD 4870 based on pricing.

Actually, ATI's pricing strategy makes a bit of sense. The HD 4870 is faster and about $15 cheaper, therefore the remaining stock of HD 4870 should move somewhat quickly. Gamers who wants DX11 and/or lower power consumption (so they don't have to buy a new PSU) will gladly pay the extra $15 for the HD 5770.

Currently on the fence whether to buy the HD 5770 or HD 5850. I don't game as much as before and the last game I bought was Fallout 3 back in Nov. '08. Either card is an improvement over my dying X1900XT.

Mainstream of course - 5800 series are for enthusiasts.
I'm not surprised that it is overshadowed by the 4890 - all the 5000-series results are indicating lower performance than is expected from the specs.

I think it's interesting to note the AT review where 5770 outscores GTX260+ when running Warhead @ 2560x1600 4xAA, despite having a lot less memory bandwidth (and losing out to it at the lower resolutions). Memory capacity may play a role, but GTX275 remains faster despite having 'just' 896mb on-board. Despite this staring him in the face, Anand says the 4870 is probably faster because it has more bandwidth :confused:

I'll admit I had my concerns that the comparatively narrow buses on the new cards would be an achilles heel, but there is data like this that suggests this may not be the case (5760x1200 Eyefinity results are also promising on the 5870, as is CF scaling). I'm sure it plays a role, but it looks like architectural changes (and driver optimizations for them) are too.

No. Once you overclock, unless you're messing around with BIOS settings (could brick your card, with no warranty recourse), the card won't clock-down during idle.

So you have to give up the very low idle power consumption to overclock that crap card.

The 5770 is one card where I'd be itching for manufacturers to add faster memory and raise the stock memory clocks. THEN you could have low power and 4890 performance under warranty!

Last edited:
IMO, it is mainstream now BUT it's lower end mainstream and will be among the first to drop in to budget category as we move forward.

I'm not surprised that it is overshadowed by the 4890 - all the 5000-series results are indicating lower performance than is expected from the specs.

I've also noticed this. I mean the 5870 has essentially got twice of everything compared to the 4890 but it's nowhere near twice as fast most of the time. Maybe there will be a more efficient "B" revision in 6-12 months? Same die size, better performance..

Upgrading last season's high end part for the current midrange part is something that almost never happens, unless the old part was a design failure or the new one is an overachiever.

We've been so used to overachieving cards that it's almost the norm, though. For example the 2900XT debuted at $399, then the 3870 provided the same level of performance for $219. Then the 4800-series launched, making Nvidia's pricing of the GTX260 and 280 seem like robbery and completely destroying the previous generation of Radeon cards in everything. Nvidia have also had their moments, like the 8800GT or even the GTX260 once the pricing was adjusted.

So my gripe with the 5xxx series isn't really performance (which is fine, even though it's not the kind of leap I was expecting), but really price vs performance. Especially at $200 and below where the 5770 is actually a downgrade in many cases compared to existing cards at this price point.

Hah, I never thought id see 12 votes in the yes category. Guess there really are tares amongst the wheat

i have a bunch of wattage room in my HTPC, if someone releases a passive cooled 5750 I'd grab that for my rig, the 4550 is plenty enough for watching dvd's and stuff, but if I wanted to run something just to run it on the big screen I'd be lacking pretty hardcore.

SonDa made 13 different accounts and voted :D

:confused:

If I wanted to increase votes for HD5770 I'm sure I could. I'm not messing with the poll.
I really don't think it matters much right now.

The truth of the matter is the HD5770 has received the coveted [H]ardOCP enthusiast approval.

Of these 80+ votes or so up to the time of this post how many of them have actually played a game with the HD5770? . I doubt any.

The HD5770 offers more technology than last years high end ATI video cards for much less money. HD5770 is pure win as of this point in time.

There is no reason for the HD5770 to be looked at as less than a enthusiast video card.

For those that have stood up to the "popularity" contest and appreciate the HD5770 for what it is I salute you. :cool:

Last edited:
:confused:

If I wanted to increase votes for HD5770 I'm sure I could. I'm not messing with the poll.
I really don't think it matters much right now.

The truth of the matter is the HD5770 has received the coveted [H]ardOCP enthusiast approval.

Of these 80+ votes or so up to the time of this post how many of them have actually played a game with the HD5770? . I doubt any.

The HD5770 offers more technology than last years high end ATI video cards for much less money. HD5770 is pure win as of this point in time.

There is no reason for the HD5770 to be looked at as less than a enthusiast video card.

For those that have stood up to the "popularity" contest and appreciate the HD5770 for what it is I salute you. :cool:

Do you just slam your face on your keyboard and roll around then hit submit reply? Did you even READ the review?

Shadowossong 27 days in and you think you know it all huh?

Look at the conclusion of the HD5770 review.

Remember the image below for comparison.

1255370233EukOTJwLkM_9_1.gif

Why is there even a poll for this? In what world would this be an enthusiast card? I mean, think about it... IF this was labeled as an enthusiast card, what about all the other cards that are faster? What would those be called?

Why is there even a poll for this? In what world would this be an enthusiast card? I mean, think about it... IF this was labeled as an enthusiast card, what about all the other cards that are faster? What would those be called?

Why do people buy Corvettes instead of Ferraris?

5770 is a mainstream gamer card, nothing more, nothing less. In no way would it ever be considered an enthusiast card.
More like why do people buy a Honda Accord instead of a Corvette.

What's that have to do with this?

Becuase they can't afford a ferrari or they simply like american muscle. Has nothing to do with this. A vette can be tuned to perform like a ferreri (almost - don't know if you can really get it to be as balanced) nothing you can do to a 5770 will make it perform like a 5870. So I ask again, what's your point?

What's that have to do with this?

Becuase they can't afford a ferrari or they simply like american muscle. Has nothing to do with this. A vette can be tuned to perform like a ferreri (almost - don't know if you can really get it to be as balanced) nothing you can do to a 5770 will make it perform like a 5870. So I ask again, what's your point?

Point is though the Corvette and Ferrari are very different they are both considered enthusiast sports cars.

Back