HD 5770: Mainstream or Enthusiast level

5770: Enthusiast or Mainstream

• Hells Yeah, The 5770 with its wonderful, near 4890 performance is a card for the Kings!

Votes: 19 13.2%
  • Hells no, the 5770 is a mainstream with a decent value, but isnt worth naming your child after

Votes: 125 86.8%

• Total voters
Point is though the Corvette and Ferrari are very different they are both considered enthusiast sports cars.

That's because they are both at the top echelon of sports cars. The 5770 is not.

That's because they are both at the top echelon of sports cars. The 5770 is not.
Bingo, you want to make that comparison, that's GTX295 vs. HD5870 territory. But honestly, enough with the poor car analogies :p.

What bliss it must be to be delusioned about a concept so absurd that no matter how many mountains of truth that exist as unequivocal evidence of that concepts fallacy, nothing can convince that person that their passionately held idea is false.

Never worry o ye misguided one, fourty virgin 5770's await for you in the afterlife. They treasure your unfaltering devotion and relish the day of your arrival. :rolleyes:

wasnt the 4890 1month ago enthusiast level?

anyways I really dont care much, It does has the same cooling of the enthusiast level lol!!, I think that the 5770 is a very good card somehow future proof, similar performance than 4870, and less power. Many many users (like me) with PSU<500 will be able to use this cards like others have said. And I agree, if I had a 4850 or 4890 I would NOT buy a 5770, it would be a complete waste of money, the same as well if I had a similar NVcard. The card is for new systems builds that want directx 11support and low power consumption.

It's a good budget card with some nice features. I'd recommend it to a friend looking for a good card on a budget. Seems like the card is very crippled in several reviews I've seen, specifically the Anandtech one where this card totally dies at high resolution.

And SonDa5, this is more like a Honda Civic riced out to look like a BMW M3, something like this: http://old.culturegarage.com/wp-con...1150_e844e551-436f-49d9-871d-36b2a9345428.jpg

I don't see why everyone is making a big deal about the 5700 series. It's a nice mid-range card that followed the general rule of new mid-range cards, where it offers near the performance of last gen's high-end, but in a smaller package with lower power requirements. For anyone who games on a 22" monitor, doesn't already have a 4870 or 4890, and doesn't require 8xAA, it's a nice buy, especially since it gives you some nice new features.

I don't see why everyone is making a big deal about the 5700 series. It's a nice mid-range card that followed the general rule of new mid-range cards....

I think the big deal is that it was pre hyped (in rumors) as having 4890 level performance and people were excited about that. But when it arrived it has slightly less than 4870 performance, so people are ho hum.

Really this is a great card for ATI with near 4870 performance it will be a fair bit less expensive to produce because of the smaller die and smaller bus size. So healthy profits for now and lower prices for this performance level eventually.

Once the 4870/90s are cleared out, ATI will almost certainly drop a 5830 which will be a further cut down 5870 chip. That should also have stellar bang/buck, fill the whole in the lineup, having better than 4890 performance for similar money.

I agree that a 1100sp/256-bit bus 5830 will be an excellent addition to their line-up. Will be hard for Nvidia to compete in the mid-range since their mid-range parts will be cut down Fermi's, which by all account will be more expensive to produce. As far the 5700 being over-hyped, most websites said that it would be 4870 territory, not 4890. The only person I saw making comments like that was our very own SonDa5, which isn't any kind of surprise. All this aside though, I see the 5770 being a huge product for AMD, since OEMs will love it for the cheap price, and the check-box features of DX11 and Eyefinity.

Actually I didn't read anything by Sonda. It was [H]'s own Brent Justice, that raised expectations dropping hints before the review. When people figured the card with 4890 status GPU would be held back by its lower memory bandwidth, Brent said we would be pleasantly surprised and the memory BW was no big deal. Many read that as it wouldn't be held back, so it would hit 4890 levels.

When it actually dropped, it was clear that memory is holding it back and it is nowhere near 4890 performance. So the surprise was not so pleasant.

It is still a great mainstream/future budget card, but not quite what many were expecting.

Brent never specifically compared it to a 4890. His comment was that people would be surprised at its ability to run games at high settings at a resolution above 1080, even with the narrower bus. If you do want to see some major hype, go read any thread with the numbers *770 in it. It's really funny, and yet so sad at the same time.

Slightly less than 4870 performance is not a "pleasant surprise" from a chip that has all the execution units and runs at the same clock speed as a 4890. It isn't a surprise at all, it is exactly what you would expect if you took a 4890 and significantly reduced it's memory BW. It doesn't matter if he specifically made that comparison, it was what was implied, by the "Pleasantly surprised" comment when other people were making the comparisons.

This post has a reference. People were estimating 4870 performance and Brent said that was low and you would be pleasantly surprised.
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034752186&postcount=29

I think a lot of people reading Brents comments were expecting more. The 5770 is a fine mainstream card, just that expectations were running higher. But I don't want to dwell on that, it is a minor blip.

I think ATI completely nailed the 5000 line. The 5700 128bit bus is likely all that the smaller chip die could hold. So that is a necessity. While it may be limiting performance at times, it certainly isn't wasting memory bandwidth. This is probably near the maximum performance you can do on a 128 bit bus today. Every design is actually going to have a general tendency to be either Execution limited or BW limited. ATI is doing all it can with the 128 bit bus. The only realistic thing it could have done to not be bus limited would be to have less execution units. Which would slow it down at other times. Would anyone really want that? We should really not think of this as a 4890 with a crippled bus. We should think of this as the most kick ass 128 bit bus card on the market, which I suspect it will be for some time to come.

I also think the step up to the 5800 series is perfect, with it having double everything. It leaves nice room for two cut down versions before you hit the 5700. Something that is important to scavenge yields of a big chip and giving you good market segmentation.

I would not be surprised if the 5600 series chip is around half of everything on the 5700 for similar reasons. With 4 chips the will end up covering 12 market segments very nicely.

Overall I think the 5000 series is a total home run for ATI. Excellent market segmentation, excellent bus width maximization, excellent power enveolope maximization. There must be a lot of smiles at ATI (and underwear that needs changing at NVidia). I feel sorry for Nvidia. I think they need perfection to compete. I think they might eventually have the monster top dog 384-512 bit bus top chip, but I think ATI will continue to dominate all the important segments with it's brilliant execution on all the details.

Last edited:
If there is a 5600 series, I don't see it being any faster than the current 4600 series... So as time goes by, I'm more and more convinced that it won't be made. Maybe a 5300 series, the ultimate low-end.

Snowdog:

In addition to my point about bandwidth constraints (which you made quite clearly, thank you), the prices of the 5770 are too high to make it an impressive launch (sandwiched right in-between the 4870 and 4890). I think the prices are high because ATI made a calculated bet on 2Gbit GDDR5 being released by now, but it won't be released until Q1 2010.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034759548&postcount=18

Needless to say, the 4-chip 1GB card cannot be manufactured until sometime in 2010, so that means that launch cards are still using the same 8 GDDR5 modules as the old cards were. So, the total cost savings is just the slight decrease in die size moving to a 128-bit controller, and the small decrease in PCB cost moving to 128-bit. They could have cut the same amount of money by going with slower-rated GDDR5 on a 256-bit bus, and saved this $160 128-bit abomination for 6 months from now, at a much more palatable $99.

The 5750 is priced much closer to sane levels, at $129 for 1GB, and this puppy actually outperforms the old 4850 in every game, because it has more memory bandwidth. I really have no problem with it.

Last edited:
5770 isn't a horrible card by any means. I wouldn't necessarily call it enthusiast since that label tends to refer to cards $300 and higher. Although the 5850 is probably the only exception.

Back