Hawken!!

LOVE this game! Just enough FPS style mixed with just enough mecha style gameplay to make something faster and more fluid (e.g. action packed) than the likes of Mech Warrior Online but not so slow as to kill it for those that prefer a more traditional FPS.

The graphics and sound are also top notch!

I highly recommend it! :D

Its Halo / Quake Arena with Mechs. Been playing since first alpha wave and its def fun but stopped recently due to burnout. Definitely has a learning curve in terms of learning the flow and then capitalizing on it .. Infiltrator also seemed to be the mech of choice for the better players. Maybe thats changed as theyve introduced new units. People might first assume the big heavies are safer and have more balls and firepower but you end up being a sitting duck vs. the faster units that run circles around you.

The biggest thing they got right was the mechs feel like they have weight to them, you're not just in some static HUD everything moves and shakes more like real world physics. And the claustrophobic cockpit feel is also by design and something that adds to the tension in gameplay.

Best advice i can give is there is safety in numbers, grouping up = force multiplier. Even better if yoiure on VOIP with friends or teammates to coordinate. Reason being, in a 2v1 situation, together you can kill a lone enemy unit faster than the time it takes him to lay out enough fire to kill either one of you.

Waiting to get an Oculus Rift then I'll pick this game up again.

Last edited:
Meh.

Honestly I had more fun playing the new Mechwarrior.

Hawken is punishing at first and you get asskicked a lot but once you find that groove then it gets its hooks in you and you don't want to stop.

I don't think it is punishing at all---just like any other combat game spatial awareness will save your ass more than anything else. Watch that radar and you'll be just fine. I'll say my initial impressions are that it is a very well polished play for free title, particularly the menus and btw, that menu music completely reminds me of the Front Mission series.

It seems ridiculous that you can go ahead and level up your mech but can't change the loadout or apply points without disconnecting. Unless it is one of those right-under-my-nose things that I'm missing, but that's my biggest gripe with it so far.

Overall I like what I've seen and played but it won't cut into my time with Mechwarrior Online, but it isn't remotely close to being the same game. IGP could really learn a thing or two about from Hawken's presentation, though, and I mean that only as a comparison of another free to play title, nothing else.

edit: performance wise, does anyone else get a bit of lag in certain menus?

Last edited:
Didn't care for it in the closed beta all that much. I felt every enemy encounter came down to a whoever landed the first shot would win scenario.

Didn't care for it in the closed beta all that much. I felt every enemy encounter came down to a whoever landed the first shot would win scenario.

It's all about skill and using your special weapons and abilities properly.

Personally I love Hawken. All around great title and its FREE! Couldn't ask for more!

quake in a mech, with being able to customize your own personal mech...I love it. However mechwarrior fans might be expecting something else.

LOVE this game! Just enough FPS style mixed with just enough mecha style gameplay to make something faster and more fluid (e.g. action packed) than the likes of Mech Warrior Online but not so slow as to kill it for those that prefer a more traditional FPS.

The graphics and sound are also top notch!

I highly recommend it! :D

I don't know... Mechwarrior can be pretty fast paced at times (well except for the one and done death system) especially if your in a light mech. Yeah the bigger mechs can take a beating if they aren't getting focused fire but if you get away from the action Hawken lets you fix yourself mid game without needing to find power ups so you can live a long time in that as well.
I actually preferred MWO since I personally felt that Hawken was a bit to much like a traditional fps that was slowed down with mechs. To me it was basically UT/Quake slowed down. Its definitely not MWO and I would of preferred it to be more Armored Core-ish but I only played for a hour or 2 so I'll probably try it again.

I actually preferred MWO since I personally felt that Hawken was a bit to much like a traditional fps that was slowed down with mechs. To me it was basically UT/Quake slowed down. Its definitely not MWO and I would of preferred it to be more Armored Core-ish but I only played for a hour or 2 so I'll probably try it again.

This sums up my feelings nicely. I was hoping for something more along the lines of an Armored Core feel.

downloading now, I def gotta check this out. It Looked pretty interesting the first time I heard of it a while back. I just watched this vid a min ago, they seem to be putting a lot of effort into the customization aspect of it.

Tried it once during the closed beta. Due to some strange issue with the netcode, I kept rubber-banding back to spawn and couldn't really accomplish much.

What little of it I played wasn't entertaining. It's kind of a shame, too, since this will be one of the few titles to support the Occulus Rift.

I'm glad other people are mentioning Armored Core. I can only imagine how much of my life would be destroyed if there was a PC version made.

Had a hilarious match earlier in regular DM where a guy was flipping out about people engaging two opponents who were already battling each other. Apparently you're supposed to wait your turn round robin style or some shit, so just a protip to everyone else out there. What a douche

quake in a mech, with being able to customize your own personal mech...I love it. However mechwarrior fans might be expecting something else.

well after the disappointment called MWO there really isn't much to look forward to as a mechwarrior fan.

hawkens fun, hell of a lot better than MWO is thats for sure but i stopped playing after the gernade spam mech was released in the hawken alpha.. that shit was retarded having to deal with 3/4 of the enemy team using the mech so you couldn't do anything against it.

I'm glad other people are mentioning Armored Core. I can only imagine how much of my life would be destroyed if there was a PC version made.

Had a hilarious match earlier in regular DM where a guy was flipping out about people engaging two opponents who were already battling each other. Apparently you're supposed to wait your turn round robin style or some shit, so just a protip to everyone else out there. What a douche

its more of a common courtesy. you don't have to follow it but if its a 1 on 1 fight i usually just let it go and wait to see who wins or find some else to fight around them. just depends on the mood i'm in when i come across it on the map, lol.

Last edited:
i was excited about this, but now realize it is a novelty that will wear off rather fast, for me at least. in the end, minus the jumping in the air, the mechs should just stand toe to toe and blast each other. lacking the agility of a typical FPS (bf3, cod, whatever) all other actions taken by the user just prolongs this. here, again, we have the "pay for advantage" model as well... no matter how you try and dress it up, slant it, or talk it up, it is what it is... doesn't matter if it is planetside 2 or hawken or any other microtransaction game. not really a bad thing, just not my thing.

its more of a common courtesy. you don't have to follow it but if its a 1 on 1 fight i usually just let it go and wait to see who wins or find some else to fight around them. just depends on the mood i'm in when i come across it on the map, lol.

there's a mode made for that; it's called deathmatch. why anyone would play a team game and think they are "solo" might need to go think for a while... if they have anything to think with to begin with.

i was excited about this, but now realize it is a novelty that will wear off rather fast, for me at least. in the end, minus the jumping in the air, the mechs should just stand toe to toe and blast each other. lacking the agility of a typical FPS (bf3, cod, whatever) all other actions taken by the user just prolongs this. here, again, we have the "pay for advantage" model as well... no matter how you try and dress it up, slant it, or talk it up, it is what it is... doesn't matter if it is planetside 2 or hawken or any other microtransaction game. not really a bad thing, just not my thing.

whether you like it or not this is the way all games are going, either deal with it or move on, there is absolutely no point complaining about how F2P games work.

there's a mode made for that; it's called deathmatch. why anyone would play a team game and think they are "solo" might need to go think for a while... if they have anything to think with to begin with.

true but never really works out that way in death match, always some asshat that waits to last hit everyone to look cool.

whether you like it or not this is the way all games are going, either deal with it or move on, there is absolutely no point complaining about how F2P games work.

the topic is hawken, not me.

Last edited:
This game gave me eye cancer. Really badly. So badly that my eyes are now just two huge tumours.

fwiw I think it's good, really good. played quite a few matches, did some owning, as well as getting owned some. I like the way they did the menus with the taskbar up top. That's where I have my takbar on my desktop, on top, so it feels comfortably familiar. I gotta say though the matchmaking and paid unlocks is disappointing. I find myself lately always being held back by some perceived flaw(s) to me, whereas it could've been/could be the next big thing for me but cant' justify giving my full support.

I do like it a lot though, it's really addicting (in a good way) I always want to keep playing more. graphics seem a little weak imo, with just a heavy grain filter slapped over it to hide the fact. The default mech you use looks really wimpy and made of tin. Hard Reset kinda has me a little spoiled though atm with it's nice textures, lighting and physic effects.

Gaah no it isn't. If you can shoot someone you can. No other rules needed!

It reminds me of in games like M&B where all the time people come up with weird "rules" constantly (no shooting while moving! no going around by yourself! 1 on 1 combat only! No backstabbing! no horse stealing!). The rules are kill the opponents. If someone doesn't like the way you killed them they are free to respawn and do something about it! :D (apart from cheating and glitching, thats kind of different)

I'm excited to play this having first heard about it today....and being massively disappointed with MWO for the terribly imbalanced F2P implementation as well as the glaring technical issues like no multiGPU rendering support, and don't even get me started on the terrible and buggy garage pregame launcher window abomination thingy.....

I think all these F2P guys need to take some lessons from World Of Tanks....they add a lot of paid game content but none of it affects actual battles and in game results very much. Mostly just helps you unlock things faster out of game.

Just played it for about an hour and I really enjoyed it. I wish they would give you the option of turning off the film grain or at least toning it down a bit...

Gaah no it isn't. If you can shoot someone you can. No other rules needed!

It reminds me of in games like M&B where all the time people come up with weird "rules" constantly (no shooting while moving! no going around by yourself! 1 on 1 combat only! No backstabbing! no horse stealing!). The rules are kill the opponents. If someone doesn't like the way you killed them they are free to respawn and do something about it! :D (apart from cheating and glitching, thats kind of different)

Reminds me when I played WoW for the first time a few years ago. People made up rules about the "Need or Greed system"... Example:

A green item dropped that I needed, since it pertained to my class and was an upgrade. I selected the "need" button and everyone went nuts and started chewing me out. Apparently, even if you need the item, you should hit the "greed" button so everyone has equal chances.

Yeah. What the fuck?

I'm level 8 in the first mech and can't equip the sub-machine gun, anyone know why? Would like to try a different style than just the assault rifle...

^not sure, *edit - I switched to the submachine, played a few and now I can't switch back to the assault cannon...stupid :(

I'm getting this ridiculous problem of every time I launch the game it opens 3 instances of it, and I have to alt tab out and close the two other instances running, but when I return to the one still running my screen is mega-artifacted out, and I close that one out as well and relaunch, but then it works fine. Weird and annoying.

Last edited:
do yourself a favor and stick with the AR.

I really want to love this game if only it wasn't for the matchmaking and pay to play bs.
but though maybe thats why they released this beta, to let potential buyers level without paying?
I wont buy a pay to play game, period. If they release this on steam for $40, what pc games used to cost, I'd bite hard.

so apparently Hawken does have a server browser and dedicated servers...that's news to me, the matchmaking is being forced to test for the open beta. I was just reading the forums and came across it. That's good to hear. Matchmaking wasn't working for me at all, constantly getting cheated out of frags and just muddy feeling all around. Up to this point I told myself I wouldn't spend a dime on it, but this changes things.

I still wish it had a set price point rather than micro-transactions. I think it would be cool to pay a set price of like $30-$40 and have all the mechs unlocked as well as the different body parts and skins, and maybe allow you to use custom skins. Kinda sucks that they can't be unlocked with just hawken credits.

Back