Hawken Official Thread

dremic

Supreme [H]ardness
Recently got into this alpha, I am liking it better then MechWarrior Online personally.

Anybody else been playing?

Last edited:
Do they e-mail you when you get access? They e-mailed me about the website to register on, which I did, but haven't heard anything since.

Do they e-mail you when you get access? They e-mailed me about the website to register on, which I did, but haven't heard anything since.

Here is what the email looks like

Attention, test pilot!

We'd like to invite you to join HAWKEN's second alpha test. Alpha
2 is an opportunity for you to sample the game before launch but
more importantly it's a chance for us to learn from your experiences
and make the game that much better. Please note that Alpha 2 is
under a strict non-disclosure agreement (NDA) that must be adhered
to at all times.

Ready to get started? Click below to download HAWKEN and begin testing!

http://www.playhawken.com/enteralpha

If you are signed in on PlayHawken.com, the previous link will
direct you to the NDA. If you are not signed in, you will be directed
to do so first. Once you accept the NDA, you will be able to download
HAWKEN.

Now strap in: Alpha 2 awaits!

Meteor Entertainment

This is one of few games I am interested in at the moment. What's the gameplay and battle system like?

This is one of few games I am interested in at the moment. What's the gameplay and battle system like?

there are some similarities to mech warrior, heat gauges and fuel that determines your ability to dash and hover/fly.

it is very quickly paced and you have the ability to repair although it almost always leads to your death.

the dashing adds a lot to the game if you ask me, it really bumps up the combat speed and gives you an opportunity to escape. some balance is pretty necessary between the mechs and weapon damage etc.. but nothing crippling to the game and its an alpha too.

the game looks great too love the environments

Is this essentially CoD with mechs? Most of the gameplay videos seem to indicate that.

I am enjoying MWO though.

Is this essentially CoD with mechs? Most of the gameplay videos seem to indicate that.

Basically the difference is:

In Hawken you are a mech.
In MWO you are a pilot piloting a mech.

Hawken feels like Q3 with mech skins (real broad generalization but it gives you the idea)

idk I haven't played CoD since I bought that POS black ops. ( still bitter )...

Idk if thats a fair comparison.. there is plenty of game mechanics that seperate it from COD I think.

but you are respawning and there are K/D ratios but there is a point/exp system which determines if you are winning. Idk how that is decided though

Basically the difference is:

In Hawken you are a mech.
In MWO you are a pilot piloting a mech.

Hawken feels like Q3 with mech skins (real broad generalization but it gives you the idea)

Yeah, thats seems to hit the nail on the head. Hawken movement is faster, got that sideways sliding jets, not the kind of movement that would be possible from something of that size. MechWarrior is more on the realistic side of fantasy here. I'm really enjoying MWO, but I wouldn't mind trying Hawken, though I'm thinking I won't be very much into it, kind of seems like Armored Core games a bit, which were ok when that was the only option for a decently modern mech game, but now Mech Warrior is back.

Hmmm I guess just because I got into alpha 1 doesn't mean I automatically get into alpha 2.

Hmmm I guess just because I got into alpha 1 doesn't mean I automatically get into alpha 2.

Nope, I got into a test a long time ago, but I didn't have time to try it out. I haven't been accepted back for another test since then. Made me a bit sad as well.

Hawken is really like Armored Core meets Quake 3. It may not be as fast paced as Q3, but the mechanics are the same, but alot of what you can do in Hawken is similar to the Armored Core games, its really a great game.

Hawken is really like Armored Core meets Quake 3. It may not be as fast paced as Q3, but the mechanics are the same, but alot of what you can do in Hawken is similar to the Armored Core games, its really a great game.

agreed i like it a lot

Closed beta starts tomorrow @ 9AM PST, who's in?

my in-game handle is l4yercake

closed beta access actually started tonight at 11 pm PST.. so if you signed up on their site you should have gotten the email, if not login and you should see a beta button on the top left to download the game. but the match making server won't be up til 9 am PST.

closed beta access actually started tonight at 11 pm PST.. so if you signed up on their site you should have gotten the email, if not login and you should see a beta button on the top left to download the game. but the match making server won't be up til 9 am PST.

Access to the client and forums, yes. I've already download the close beta, did so earlier today. They removed a bunch of advanced video settings from the menus, however they can still be configured via the .ini. Not sure why they would have done that other than trying to steamline the beta experience for new users with low-mid range rigs....

Access to the client and forums, yes. I've already download the close beta, did so earlier today. They removed a bunch of advanced video settings from the menus, however they can still be configured via the .ini. Not sure why they would have done that other than trying to steamline the beta experience for new users with low-mid range rigs....

theres an advanced tab but nothing really game changing.. but yeah it looks pretty stream lined which is fine by me as long as they leave the ability to change it for the more advanced gamers through the ini file.

How big of a download is the closed beta?

Ugg, keeps saying "unable to download metafile", whatever that means.

Ugg, keeps saying "unable to download metafile", whatever that means.

was having the same issue, next time you login it should download a small patch, however servers still aren't up...I was hoping to get some playtime in this morning but my window is closing...

I'm all set to play the beta, but can't join any servers. Even when I set matchmaking to all regions and gametypes, it still can't find any games for me to join. Anyone have better luck?

I am playing just fine, as are lots of other people. Game is a blast to play...well at least the first three matches Ive played are fun!

The Hawken patcher cripples my machine for some reason, so I have only played it once. It seemed interesting :p

[CoF] ATOMIC;1039265729 said:
How big of a download is the closed beta?

2 gigs i think, pretty small compared to a lot of games in closed beta right now.

The Hawken patcher cripples my machine for some reason, so I have only played it once. It seemed interesting :p

hmm weird. may have to run it in admin mode or something. haven't a problem with it. hell your post just reminded me i still had the launcher open. lol

I'm all set to play the beta, but can't join any servers. Even when I set matchmaking to all regions and gametypes, it still can't find any games for me to join. Anyone have better luck?

the quick matchmaker kinda sucks you have to keep doing it over and over til it finds a game. usually happens because it tries to join a server that fills up before its able to queue you.

played hawken...
graphics are pretty awesome but the gameplay is kinda bland i got bored after 5 mins of the same shoot and kill stuff in a mech... it plays like armored core V with less jumping. Mechs are kinda sluggish, combat, i think, is pretty balanced. Pretty much who gets the first shot out gets the kill unless you have horrible aim. I think so far its pretty good just need more game modes... which i sure they will address in the final release

played hawken...
graphics are pretty awesome but the gameplay is kinda bland i got bored after 5 mins of the same shoot and kill stuff in a mech... it plays like armored core V with less jumping. Mechs are kinda sluggish, combat, i think, is pretty balanced. Pretty much who gets the first shot out gets the kill unless you have horrible aim. I think so far its pretty good just need more game modes... which i sure they will address in the final release

You just described CS/COD. But not really, there are more tactics than just rush in and shoot people (though that does work). Team tactics plays a big part too (basically just go around as a team, but makeup of the team is important too). An assult unit will get mudered on larger maps by rockets and snipers, but close up assults can win against other classes (not always). You can also set ambushes and traps using dlopleyed stuff or sheilds/snipers. Also certain slower builds have lots more hp, so can take out units via attrition. Theres also weapon tactics, like heat/firerate. You can set weapons to take people out quickly, but if you miss a few shots theyll probably kill you unless you can escape.

What all the people seem to do at first is just rush in (because it works against other people rushing in). Once the player base gets more experienced (again, though there will be a few more experienced players from the alpha) people will start using tactics and different builds which will give the gameplay more difficult and more depth than rush 50/50 chance. It happened like that in the alpha, first day everyone was just everyone assult CODing, then by the end of the first week there was much more variety and tactics. :D

played hawken...

yeah it can get boring.. i think they need to put an actual spawn timer in the game maybe 10 seconds. kinda dumb that you can die and respawn instantly which add's to the boredom. theres no penalty for dying so no real use of tactics because of it.

Was able to join a few games after they brought some more servers online...had a great time! A few of the mechs feel a bit unbalanced, particularly the missile class and the brawler. Too sluggish and not enough damage output to compensate. I'm sure things will get tweaked much more before launch, hence the beta. Will probably play this quite a bit when it goes live.

Was able to join a few games after they brought some more servers online...had a great time! A few of the mechs feel a bit unbalanced, particularly the missile class and the brawler. Too sluggish and not enough damage output to compensate. I'm sure things will get tweaked much more before launch, hence the beta. Will probably play this quite a bit when it goes live.

With the rocket go ranged and use the lockon! Because of the explosiveness and tightness of some maps they can be a little unwieldy in some situations! Stick with your team too!

yeah it can get boring.. i think they need to put an actual spawn timer in the game maybe 10 seconds. kinda dumb that you can die and respawn instantly which add's to the boredom. theres no penalty for dying so no real use of tactics because of it.

Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch are instant respawn. Play Missiles(capture and hold) or Seige(multi stage objective) for team based objective play, both of these have respawn timers.

Same thing here.

I've been in the game since the Alpha stages and have been enjoying the experience so far. I was happy to be invited to join the closed Beta this weekend and see what changes have been made to the game but am disappointed to not be able to join any games whatsoever.

playing in the second closed beta now. this game rocks! the audio alone makes me wanna buy it when it releases. the graphics are awesome, too. I hope it gets a bit more polished, game modes etc.

first impressions of my experience.

I really was impressed with the dl and install.
It actually asked where to install the game, not like winders that thinks everyone only has 1 drive.
I am not sure about the dl size but I think it was 4.5 G again not sure I was eating dinner and didn't care :)

I am posting nothing about what you can do or what is available in the game because I don't know.
But I can say that this is nothing more than quake in a mech suit.
The main problems is this is a PAY TO WIN model.
I logged in for the first time I did not know that most of the players were veterans.
I am in my little suit and well at first not knowing what the f was going on. I saw mechs/suits that did not look like mine.
Most had the same armament as me so it seemed balanced.
Then I got out of a deathmatch and tried to find a team DM game.
There are a lot of servers but 90% were empty, ok its a beta.
Finally got into a fresh 11/12 team dm. the last guy logged in and away we go.
WTF
It was one shot hell with mech and weapons I had never even seen or heard of.
I overheated shooting one guy and his health maybe went down 25% and that was standing right behind him. He turned around and bam DEAD.
ok maybe it was the heat.
I ran into another one and some type of rocket barrage and dead. WAIT WTF was that.
I looked and the teams 6 to 1 (me) all the others said f this and quit out. I looked and their lead player was 36 1 second was 24 2
No team balancing but I assume that they have or will have future plans for that.

I know I know but its Beta
yes but like I said pay to win.

This is just my gaming exp and nothing technical, or even what is or will be available in the final product.
I do not even know if they are working hard to balance the game or anything just that this is my first trial of the game.
I do not know anything but my thoughts, feelings and reactions to what I experienced are mine and I know what I like.

Last edited:
I know I know but its Beta
yes but like I said pay to win.

Is it?

The points you get to buy weapons and classes and armor are from exp you gain from gameplay. The only possibly bought stuff (well I think it will be bought the orange points) is for visual stuff like paint colors and armor shapes (which have no gameplay effect). Also you have to remember there was 2 alphas before this, so lots of people will have lots of gameplay up on you, and you'll need to do a little catchup! Also watch the loadouts, some aren't as great in some situations as others! :D

DeathPrincess thanks for the info.
What I read said that all points could be purchased. I assumed that was all of the upgrade points you earned in the game.

Of the 3 maps in the game I was only able to play 2, the third had some people in the servers but I got unable to join on any of them.

I am guessing that the people carried over all their stuff from the previous 2 test and that is why the game is VERY unbalanced to anyone just starting.

From what I understand there are two currencies basically, Hawken Points (the blue one) which you can earn in game and Meteor Points (orange one) which you can purchase with real money. Currently, because of it being a closed beta most likely, they periodically give out MP.

All the items and mechs currently you can buy using either HP or MP which is why the cost for both is displayed. So the cost for those items is one or the other, it will ask you which you wish to use when you try to purchase. The things do not cost both HP and MP.

You can only buy cosmetic parts and XP and HP boosters with MP.

So basically you will be able to buy a time advantage with real money upon release. In other words you can spend real money to speed up progression whether with boosters or outright buying ahead to mechs/equip, allowing you to be "ahead" of someone who is of comparable skill level and playtime that does not spend money. Whether or not this is pay to win is debatable and would probably be dependent on your own tolerance/play style, the grind/lvling curve, and how equip/mechs are balanced.

I'm really liking this game.. Really like it's back to the old school death match style game play like old Q3. With it being mech's it just makes it that much more fun.

Back