has anyone tried stickout out a SATA data and power cable out of their case and...

jarthel

Limp Gawd
use sata to connect to a SATA drive. I suppose I'm thinking of a cheap alternative to an esata docking station.

Any thoughts/feedback on the idea?

Thank you :)

I've done that before while I've waited for other parts to arrive. Not done it long term, like over a week. But if the drive is on a non-conducting surface, is set in some way so as to keep it decently cool, and you don't have pets like cats crawling over it then it would probably be okay for a fair while. Oh, and I wouldn't put critical data on it.

i have that setup, in a pre-sata mobo (that has a pci SATA controller installed.)

MSI includes brackets that have an SATA header and a 4 pin to SATA molex connector on the bracket for just this sort of thing.

It works fine but it's icky, and it makes the machine much less portable.

MSI includes brackets that have an SATA header and a 4 pin to SATA molex connector on the bracket for just this sort of thing.

I have the same bracket from my Gigabyte board. BUT the problem is the power connector. It's only 4pins. no 3.3V to enable hot-plugging :(

ps. I believe 3.3V is required for hot-plugging?

"It's only 4pins. no 3.3V to enable hot-plugging "

So ignoring spec, anyone actually know of a drive that has issue without 3.3v? I've hotplugged ever sata drive i've ever used with molex cables.

"It's only 4pins. no 3.3V to enable hot-plugging "

So ignoring spec, anyone actually know of a drive that has issue without 3.3v? I've hotplugged ever sata drive i've ever used with molex cables.

confused with the words in bold

ps. I thought 3.3V is required for hotplugging :)

most eSATA enclosures/drives get their own power. Also there are brackets you can get that have ESATA ports (or regular SATA) that you can hook up to your mobo which is a much better option then what you are talking about.

Any thoughts/feedback on the idea?

I do it all the time. Right now there's a SATA optical unit running outside of the case.

The side panel on my Lian Li hasn't been in place for 6 months because I'm always swapping things around.

I have 2 docking stations and a mobile rack with 3 trays and sometimes it's still not enough.

There's no problem other than esthetics and dust.

I have the same bracket from my Gigabyte board. BUT the problem is the power connector. It's only 4pins. no 3.3V to enable hot-plugging :(

ps. I believe 3.3V is required for hot-plugging?

I've never heard of this. Most back planes and drive hot plug units have a 4 pin molex input.

I do it all the time. Right now there's a SATA optical unit running outside of the case.

The side panel on my Lian Li hasn't been in place for 6 months because I'm always swapping things around.

I have 2 docking stations and a mobile rack with 3 trays and sometimes it's still not enough.

There's no problem other than esthetics and dust.

I'll never forget the time I had 32 drives and four burners sitting outside of a case...

That makes it a "Super Kodak Moment"!

Darn, don't have a pic...

But it would have been 36, except that I couldn't fit a third 7506-12 into the case, so I had to settle for two 7506-12s and one 7506-8...

The funny part was what was blocking my attempts at getting the third 7506-12 in there... The stinking DRIVE CAGE!

LOL

I disassembled the monster when I realized neighbors could hear it vibrating...

I use This with separate power supply & sata cable sticking out of my case. Works great & is very solid. I bought 2 of them at fry's for $15 ea. Easiest/cheapest way to mount 5 drives "Cheaply"

I use This with separate power supply & sata cable sticking out of my case. Works great & is very solid. I bought 2 of them at fry's for $15 ea. Easiest/cheapest way to mount 5 drives "Cheaply"
That idea just made the completion of my current stalled build project easier !!

I already have an esata bracket (2 esata ports + 1 molex port).

I just assume 3.3V is required for hot-plugging. Is this false?

Statistically you have a higher risk of picking up a data error with a cable running out of the back of the case, unless you have bought shielded sata cables. Esata cables always have this, but not all sata cables have.

Meh....I have done it too though. :p

i do it all the time.. i have a 1.5 seagate sitting on top of my case (on a static bag) for months.. no problems

I have a spare I bought and then used something else. Want it?

No, thanks, already have a 5-in-3 (ams) and a Venus caddy/tray... both...
the build is only stalled because the p4/ide is sailing along in FreeBSD so well...

Back