Has AMD busted itself trying to beat Intel?

That's absolute nonsense. Netburst is actually the longest running Intel architecture ever, *despite* receiving the most heavy competition that Intel has ever faced.
It's no secret that Netburst isn't exactly Intel's most successful architecture ever. So I can draw no other conclusion than AMD in fact being insignificant in Intel's strategy. In fact, perhaps they've actually stretched the life of Netburst a bit to make sure their next CPU was ready.
you're kidding right? Have you heard of Tejas? The Netburst architecture that was canceled because of Athlon64? Do you have a better insider information than I am ? :D

From April 2002, in Q1 2006 Intel was *down* 32% and AMD was *up* 233%
By picking the epochs you want, you can get practially any ratio you'd like. For example, from April of 2006 to current, Intel is up about 15% and AMD is down around 55%. From mid-1995 to the beginning of 1998, INTC was up 150% while AMD was down about 48%. Further, the charts you're looking at adjust for splits, but don't adjust for dividends. AMD has never paid a dividend; INTC has paid a quarterly dividend since the end of 1992.

Stock price isn't too relevant (unless you've sold short on them, like I have). What's relevant is the numbers on the statements -- and AMDs numbers are mostly red these days, and have been red the last two or three quarters in a row.

I'm sure AMD will end up just fine.
What makes you so sure? I mean: do you have some reasoning based on facts, or is it just a hunch? What makes you think they'll turn those numbers around?

you're kidding right? Have you heard of Tejas? The Netburst architecture that was canceled because of Athlon64? Do you have a better insider information than I am ? :D

'Because of Athlon64'? You'll have to prove that, I don't take your word for it.
Besides, just because they decided not to go for that particular refresh, doesn't mean that they shortened the lifespan of Netburst, at least, not by any significant timespan.
They just held on to Prescott longer (despite Athlon64!), and introduced the Cedar Mill/Presler version instead, and Conroe was introduced pretty much at the time that Tejas would have been replaced by Nehalem, according to the roadmaps at that time. So the timespan of Netburst has not been affected by this move, even if that move would have been because of Athlon64... However, another explanation could be that Intel decided to move Core to the desktop earlier than planned because the mobile line was more successful than they had anticipated.
After all, Core2 is cheaper to manufacture than Pentium 4: less transistors, lower clockspeeds, power usage, temperatures etc... so better yields. In a way it's just a nice bonus that it also outperforms Athlon64. Even if it didn't, it'd be a very attractive CPU to market for desktops and servers.
Nehalem still exists on current roadmaps, but it is actually pushed back, and will follow after Penryn.

That obviously isn't true. AMD doesn't have the production capacity to keep up with Dell's demand, not to mention any other first-tier vendor.

Of course AMD can't make enough but still Intel would be used to just fill a gap. Clearly, that's not the case either.

Actually Tejas was canned because to put off 150 watts of heat LOL! You guys thought Prescott was hot:D Only many of on this forum thought Hyper-threading was a Gimmick as AMD said. SO they had to go along with AMD's lie or call AMD a lie;) Even as Kyle here at [H] tested, Multitasking, streaming apps, generally better motherboards and etc................... kept Intel in the Game.

Even as AMD followers tried to say differently, Multi-Socketed Opterons and X2s were the only thing that across-the-board really kicked Intel's ass. Heat killed Tejas=P It as tested and did perform well BTW.

http://www.aceshardware.com/forums/read_post.jsp?id=120078470&forumid=1

Ace's said:
One of the main reasons why Tejas did not make it to the market is its heat dispersal requirements. Quite simply, we were floored to discover the requirement of 150w of thermal dissipation. The Intel LGA775 stock cooler was not capable of dispersing this, and after some testing, we set up a Cooler Master water pump to carry the heat away from Tejas, and set up a similar (but quieter) unit from Zalman purely to carry away the heat from the VRMs. Quite how Intel intended to cool Tejas is beyond us, but we don't think it would have been too popular if it would have needed anything like this.

It's not even clear what "gap" you're talking about.

The "gap" between all of the Processors Dell needs to fill all of their orders and what they could actually get. BTW, AMD could fill 100% of Dell's Servers Processor needs, much smaller Volume so don't make blanket statements either if you want to nit-pick?

The "gap" between all of the Processors Dell needs to fill all of their orders and what they could actually get. BTW, AMD could fill 100% of Dell's Servers Processor needs, much smaller Volume so don't make blanket statements either if you want to nit-pick?

Who's nit-picking? I'm just asking you to explain what it was you were talking about.

This gap you're talking about still doesn't make much sense. Dell can't simply drop an AMD part into a board that was expecting an Intel processor since they're not pin-compatible. "Filling the gap", then, isn't a viable approach for Dell, then, as it increases their costs substantially, and their margin is already razor thin.

My "blanket statement" is true as written. If you want to consider some arbitrarily chosen subset of shipments, then maybe it isn't true. I mean, it's possible that AMD could provide enough processors for the machines that Dell ships on Thursday afternoons between 2pm and 5pm, Central time, but I hope you won't flame me if I forget to analyse that case.

Who's nit-picking? I'm just asking you to explain what it was you were talking about.

This gap you're talking about still doesn't make much sense. Dell can't simply drop an AMD part into a board that was expecting an Intel processor since they're not pin-compatible. "Filling the gap", then, isn't a viable approach for Dell, then, as it increases their costs substantially, and their margin is already razor thin.

My "blanket statement" is true as written. If you want to consider some arbitrarily chosen subset of shipments, then maybe it isn't true. I mean, it's possible that AMD could provide enough processors for the machines that Dell ships on Thursday afternoons between 2pm and 5pm, Central time, but I hope you won't flame me if I forget to analyse that case.

If it doesn't make sense, stop trying to figure it out. I didn't say a damned thing about Dell just dropping in a processor on any board, geesh Mike! nVidia and AMD finally gave Dell confidence in using AMD. There no reason to flame you hehehe!

Dell can get enough processors to fill all the servers they ship, every shipment 24hrs day hehehe! Again, the server market is LOW VOLUME! I said nit-pick because you said "AMD doesn't have the production capacity to keep up with Dell's demand". Yet, I know you meant desktop or all processors Dell Needs.

Example. If Dell sells 32 million PCs and Servers and AMD can only supply 20 million that GAP would be 12 million filled by Intel. Arbitrary numbers BTW!

Actually Tejas was canned because to put off 150 watts of heat LOL! You guys thought Prescott was hot:D Only many of on this forum thought Hyper-threading was a Gimmick as AMD said. SO they had to go along with AMD's lie or call AMD a lie;) Even as Kyle here at [H] tested, Multitasking, streaming apps, generally better motherboards and etc................... kept Intel in the Game.

Even as AMD followers tried to say differently, Multi-Socketed Opterons and X2s were the only thing that across-the-board really kicked Intel's ass. Heat killed Tejas=P It as tested and did perform well BTW.

http://www.aceshardware.com/forums/read_post.jsp?id=120078470&forumid=1
That "review" was an april fools joke. Check out the link and follow ups.

OUCH.....

that was when the Digital Enterprise Group (of Intel) realized that Mobility Platforms Group's (MPG) product roadmap was the better way. Hence, Tejas got cancelled.

If it doesn't make sense, stop trying to figure it out.
If I followed that advice, how would I ever learn anything?

I didn't say a damned thing about Dell just dropping in a processor on any board, geesh Mike! nVidia and AMD finally gave Dell confidence in using AMD. There no reason to flame you hehehe!
You don't need to say anything about Dell putting processors on boards; Dell ships machines, not bare processors.

I said nit-pick because you said "AMD doesn't have the production capacity to keep up with Dell's demand". Yet, I know you meant desktop or all processors Dell Needs.
Why is not being able to fulfil orders a nit? You know I meant what now?

savantu said:
Tejas didn't even tape out...
What does "tape out" mean?
Example. If Dell sells 32 million PCs and Servers and AMD can only supply 20 million that GAP would be 12 million filled by Intel. Arbitrary numbers BTW!
Sure. You can add two numbers to get a third. Thing is, you can't really put these two numbers in the same bucket because they're meaningfully different things.

To Crosshairs and savantu.

That was an April-fool's joke only because they said it launched LOL! They used info and estimations that was being talked about on the Web. There were samples of Tejas and that's why they killed it. The market was moving to Dual Cores and there's no damned way to cool a 150 X 2 LOL!

OUCH.....
savantu said:
Tejas didn't even tape out...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1762900,00.asp

The Santa Clara, Calif., chip maker was scheduled to release its next-generation Pentium 4 chip, code-named Tejas, next year, as well as a Xeon processor targeted for low-end servers, code-named Jayhawk. Built on the same architecture as Tejas, that chip also was expected to be released in 2005.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.html?i=1943

Apparently a total of 10 Tejas samples have been shipped out to various friends of Intel, all running at 2.8GHz. What's also interesting to note is that our sources have informed us that at 2.8GHz Tejas uses around 150W of power - about 50% more than Prescott at the same clock speed.

Now maybe they're wrong, but there was plenty of news items about Tejas and 150 Watts. Intel Killed Tejas and AMD had nothing to do with LOL! Thats whats implied and that's what I dsiagreed with hehehehe!

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=15749

These sources tell the INQUIRER, and as yet this is unconfirmed, that the project has been shelved before tape out, and layout resources are no longer working on it.

I read that it was and that it wasn't taped out. Either way, I stand by what I said about the rest LOL!

If I followed that advice, how would I ever learn anything?

You don't need to say anything about Dell putting processors on boards; Dell ships machines, not bare processors.

Why is not being able to fulfil orders a nit? You know I meant what now?

What does "tape out" mean?
Sure. You can add two numbers to get a third. Thing is, you can't really put these two numbers in the same bucket because they're meaningfully different things.

OK Mike!

Using ed as a source is just plain stupid... That guy is so worthless... He couldnttell you the difference between a foot and a paw....

Using ed as a source is just plain stupid... That guy is so worthless... He couldnttell you the difference between a foot and a paw....

That isn't a source , it is an opinion.Simply that.

And wrt to Eds credibility , compared to yours , he's bulletproof.

i personally think that what Ed writes makes sense. It's tough to 'take in', but much of stuff about AMD's doom and gloom does make sense. I am a BIG AMD fan and I dont' buy Intel stuff, so yeah!

That isn't a source , it is an opinion.Simply that.

And wrt to Eds credibility , compared to yours , he's bulletproof.

Except he poses his opinion as fact, and does it in the public domain. I post my opinion as such on a discussion forum

He refuses to answer emails, and wont debate the merits of his opinions... Hes a weasle and a flat out liar....

Maybe because you're not worth his time? From what I've seen, everyone seems to rip apart what you say anyways.

i personally think that what Ed writes makes sense.

Exactly...
Now if what Ed is saying is wrong, then why are you attacking the person, instead of attacking what he's saying?

Anyway, someone who claims AMD's 386 outperform Intel's 486 should just know better than to question anyone's credibility :)

Exactly...
Now if what Ed is saying is wrong, then why are you attacking the person, instead of attacking what he's saying?

Anyway, someone who claims AMD's 386 outperform Intel's 486 should just know better than to question anyone's credibility :)

Look at the benches.. They are still available... It's called the information superhighway fora good reason.

I dont like Ed, he spreads lies and misinformation, he is a bain to the enthusiast community and should be taken off line a soon as possible.

As do you.
But what particular lies and misinformation are there in this particular article? Please be as specific as possible. Thank you.

Ok point out any lies or misinformation that I spread? Go ahead, I dar ya... please... perty perty please.... Do it... please....

We'll just take this as a quick and dirty example of his lies and misinformation....
f the competition in the real world was going to be a K10 vs. Conroe fight the second half of the year, things would look rather chipper for AMD. If you read some of the claims made at this (admittedly rather pro-AMD) website to be more-or-less true (and I think they are), the K10s should be very competitive against Conroes, maybe even a bit better.

However, that's not going to happen because . . . AMD can't make them yet. The place mentioned above also says that volume production of K10s won't happen until early 2008.

Has he seen Benchmarks on Barcelona yet? How does he know AMD cant make them? Does he know they cant? How does he get off making these flat out lies with out any accountability?

If not busted, at least hamstrung themselves w/the ATI terms of purchase, meaning AMD's situation today is much more serious than it was in, say 2001 or 2002.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newIssuesNews/idUSN2044289220070420

SAN FRANCISCO, April 20 (Reuters) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD.N: Quote, Profile, Research) is facing a cash crunch, but a fateful debt arrangement last year limits the No. 2 computer chipmaker's fund-raising options.

AMD's purchase of graphics chipmaker ATI was funded with $2.5 billion in debt, which came loaded with restrictions that would force the company to prepay the loan if it obtains more debt, issues shares, sells assets or even reduces working capital.

Some investors reckon AMD's only viable option is some sort of private equity deal -- an option executives welcomed explicitly for the first time on Thursday after reporting a surprisingly big $611 million quarterly net loss.

Ok point out any lies or misinformation that I spread? Go ahead, I dar ya... please... perty perty please.... Do it... please....

That one is very easy:
duby229 said:
Also While Intel did have the 486 on the market, AMD's 386 outperformed it. Flat out outperformed it. Then when AMD released it own 486, it simply increased the lead. That is the sole reason Intel released its PPro line, which did take the lead. If it wasnt for AMD that line would have never existed... You think that Intel; would innovate on there own?

Has he seen Benchmarks on Barcelona yet? How does he know AMD cant make them? Does he know they cant? How does he get off making these flat out lies with out any accountability?

I think he means AMD can't produce them in volume (yet). In other words, they aren't in the stores yet. In which case it's the simple truth.
Nevertheless it looks you're grasping at straws... if that's the only thing in that entire article that you can mention... well... it's not even relevant to the rest of the article anyway.
I think Ed makes a valid point... The longer AMD delays the Barcelona, the faster and cheaper the competing Core2 processors will be.

Thanks for that link, though what he does say makes sense, K10 won't make a significant impact this year considering it won't be launched till Q3 in Servers and Q4 desktops.

But neither will Penryn make a significant impact this year either thankfully for AMD.

Thanks for that link, though what he does say makes sense, K10 won't make a significant impact this year considering it won't be launched till Q3 in Servers and Q4 desktops.

But neither will Penryn make a significant impact this year either thankfully for AMD.

But if you're right, that works out well for Intel since Core 2 in any form is bitch slapping AMD right now. What we do know will happen is that Core 2 is going from opening a 16oz can of whip-ass to a Gallon Pickle Jar on AMD. Core 2 will get more MHz and FSB. K10 is meant to turn the tide so both moving slowly hurts AMD more.

whoopee. Now intel and nvidia will get fat and lazy again and graphic card development can get weak again.

Back