Hardware Nexus: ASUS Scammed Us

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cnq6icSqic

"ASUS recently teased an Upgraded ROG ALLY is coming soon! Called the ROG Ally X, with an Upgraded Battery, Faster Ram, More Storage “2280 M.2 SSD and More!"

It's everything the original should have been, at a higher price. And you can be sure whatever hardware faults are built in, ASUS will never admit and they sure won't fix them without a fight. Sounds like a great deal.

Asus designs some technically and aesthetically good products but recently their manufacturing or QA of their products have been quite horrible. I have stopped buying Asus products recently because they have all seemed to fail. 2x 3090 strix, 2x G15s of different model years and an Asus Loki 1kW PSU have died on me. In all cases I was very lucky to have bought extended warranties because the last time I dealt with their RMA it took forever and left me wanting. But I can't turn my eyes away from all the negative things about them lately anymore.

I’ve only had one experience with Asus warranty and it was painless, I see now I am certainly the exception to the rule. Board shipped to me with an old bios so it refused to detect my CPU, they just swapped the board.
I think ill avoid them for a bit regardless.

Asus designs some technically and aesthetically good products but recently their manufacturing or QA of their products have been quite horrible. I have stopped buying Asus products recently because they have all seemed to fail. 2x 3090 strix, 2x G15s of different model years and an Asus Loki 1kW PSU have died on me. In all cases I was very lucky to have bought extended warranties because the last time I dealt with their RMA it took forever and left me wanting. But I can't turn my eyes away from all the negative things about them lately anymore.

This is why I never stick to any brand. I look at everything on a product-by-product basis, and I evaluate their current warranty reputation and whatnot in the mix, too. ASUS has this ridiculous fan following that always baffles my mind, however. Despite any negatives or any drawbacks, you just have people buying their stuff left and right like loyalists. Like I wouldn't touch an ASUS AM5 board with a 10 meter stick (well assuming I could actually hold a 10 meter stick--made out of a material that didn't bend like crazy--straight to begin with), but you still have people gobbling them up.

I know a lot of people on here just hate anything Linus says, but I think he has the right of it in this:

View: https://youtu.be/zUxoZZwgGDU

This is mostly what I watch when it comes to his content these days. I might put his side channel up on the side in mostly audio format while I'm cleaning or something. In this clip he's specifically thrashing Apple fanboys, but I think it's pretty much applicable to anything.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pMrssIrKcY&ab_channel=GamersNexus

Disgraceful corporate behavior, I am glad that channels like Gamers Nexus have the clout to call this out.

What the hell? AFAIK that is illegal. If there is an issue, for example in a screen and you send it to warranty repairs for that, it shouldn't matter if there is a scratch somewhere else in the plastic which can be just a sign of normal use. They have to prove that the issue on the screen came from the said scratch, otherwise they have to honor warranty.

Car and motorcycles companies have strange ideas about warranties sometimes too. If you buy a new car or motorcycle, their warranty guides may say that you cannot touch anything in the bike/car or the warranty is void, which is not true and nothing but a scare tactic. Lets say you swap the muffler or have a vehicle tuned and during warranty period brakes stop working. No matter what their guides say, by law they have to fix it OR prove that your new muffler and reprogrammed ECU is what broke the brakes. AFAIK this is the case even in the otherwise customer hostile and corporate ass kissing USA market.

Everything I buy from most any manufacturer I treat as disposable sadly due to things like this. For quite some time I have been just getting things used and the price is good enough to never worry about a warranty claim - just replace it. When I buy new motherboards its from Microcenter. That way I can add the 2 year replacement in store for a few bucks if I really need some peace of mind.

Of course this is just accepting that most companies don't stand behind their products at all and service after the sale is all but dead. I should care more but somehow I don't! Anyway Asus has been off my list for a while too unless its used and or cheap enough to never risk dealing with an RMA.

I wrote rants like this about Asus' RMA policies 20 years ago.

I still buy Asus mainboards, but I wouldn't send them in for RMA.

I've had to RMA Asus mainboards 3 times over the last 20 years or so. It's NEVER pleasant, and they are always slow and wanting to fight with you, but I have managed to get a working replacement every time I had to. Every brand will sell you a dud product from time-to-time so you will encounter problem units with any brand you buy regularly, but if I had to rely on their RMA process more than I do, I'd stop buying their stuff.

I've been reading shit about Asus being a bit shit for close to 30 years. As far as I can tell they haven't gotten worse.

I've had medium experience with Asus mainboards as far as reliability, no better or worse than any other brand I have used. I've only ever had to RMA one and the experience was excellent. I sent one in they sent a new one out, it was all very efficient and perfectly pleasant.

This is why I never stick to any brand. I look at everything on a product-by-product basis, and I evaluate their current warranty reputation and whatnot in the mix, too. ASUS has this ridiculous fan following that always baffles my mind, however. Despite any negatives or any drawbacks, you just have people buying their stuff left and right like loyalists.
I don't recall ever encountering ASUS fans like there are Apple fans. I believe ASUS products keep selling because they keep hitting a sweet spot in the market. I always buy products based on price and features, and ASUS is always a top contender. You have to be an anti fan to completely avoid buying ASUS products.

Everything I buy from most any manufacturer I treat as disposable sadly due to things like this. For quite some time I have been just getting things used and the price is good enough to never worry about a warranty claim - just replace it. When I buy new motherboards its from Microcenter.
We are pretty much moving towards landfill-economy.....

I wrote rants like this about Asus' RMA policies 20 years ago.

I still buy Asus mainboards, but I wouldn't send them in for RMA.
So what do you do if an ASUS mottherboard needs repairs?

. I believe ASUS products keep selling because they keep hitting a sweet spot in the market. I always buy products based on price and features, and ASUS is always a top contender.
Has been true for me, but the next time I need to upgrade my rig,I will look carefully at their 3 main competitors.

Has been true for me, but the next time I need to upgrade my rig,I will look carefully at their 3 main competitors.

Same for me. I currently have an ASUS motherboard and ASUS laptop, but that's going to be it for me until/unless they turn shit around. Not sure who I'm going to look to as everyone has problems, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.

So what do you do if an ASUS mottherboard needs repairs?
Chances are it's over 3+ years old and you build a new system.

Every ASUS board I have owned in the last 20 years hasn't failed, I also don't get the cheapest nor the most expensive one. I can't say the same for Gigabyte or MSI those I don't have luck with.

This is why I never stick to any brand. I look at everything on a product-by-product basis, and I evaluate their current warranty reputation and whatnot in the mix, too. ASUS has this ridiculous fan following that always baffles my mind, however. Despite any negatives or any drawbacks, you just have people buying their stuff left and right like loyalists. Like I wouldn't touch an ASUS AM5 board with a 10 meter stick (well assuming I could actually hold a 10 meter stick--made out of a material that didn't bend like crazy--straight to begin with), but you still have people gobbling them up.

I know a lot of people on here just hate anything Linus says, but I think he has the right of it in this:

View: https://youtu.be/zUxoZZwgGDU

This is mostly what I watch when it comes to his content these days. I might put his side channel up on the side in mostly audio format while I'm cleaning or something. In this clip he's specifically thrashing Apple fanboys, but I think it's pretty much applicable to anything.

I dont stick to any brand in particular. But I liked the way the 3090 strix looked compared to everything else when I bought them. The G15 laptops was an incredible value (during covid times) and performed well which is why I bought one for myself and one for my nephew, same with the 3090 Strix. I went MSI with the 4090 because I couldn't get a FE this time around. I didn't even bother with Asus this gen.

It really feels like a coin flip with Asus. I cautioned a forum member here recently about it when he needed to RMA a 4090. Fortunately for him they gave him no problem and everything got done properly. I feel sorry for all these other folks who were on the other side of the coin. It's just so laughable for them to try to charge you more to repair something than it costs to just go and buy a new one.

Remember like 10 years ago, anything sent to the Jeffersonville Indiana Asus repair location basically meant you were getting scammed like this? Seems Asus is up to their old tricks.

gonna say the same thing i said in the other thread: well that's what happens when you try to rush a product to market to try to cash in on someone else's laurels, in this case the steam deck. which was crafted with love. i'd just wait for steam deck 2 if i was going to get one. plus the fact that supporting steam deck also gives devs incentive to optimize for linux so maybe one day we won't be forced to use microsoft's latest windows spywear and bloat to run games. AND they made steam deck diy repairable too, let's not forget that.

I’ve only had one experience with Asus warranty and it was painless, I see now I am certainly the exception to the rule. Board shipped to me with an old bios so it refused to detect my CPU, they just swapped the board.
I think ill avoid them for a bit regardless.
That isn't warranty, that is just basic customer service.

I don't recall ever encountering ASUS fans like there are Apple fans. I believe ASUS products keep selling because they keep hitting a sweet spot in the market. I always buy products based on price and features, and ASUS is always a top contender. You have to be an anti fan to completely avoid buying ASUS products.

I don't buy Asus mainboards because of price or features. I buy them because the chance of it being outright broken is low and for all their faults their BIOSes are pretty good. Note that I buy low or medium priced Asus brands such as Prime. I had bad experience with higher end desktop boards. I think their QA for hardware and BIOS breaks down when too many features are incorporated.

Also note that this is for my gaming and multipurpose machines. My important services stuff is all Supermicro.

What the hell? AFAIK that is illegal. If there is an issue, for example in a screen and you send it to warranty repairs for that, it shouldn't matter if there is a scratch somewhere else in the plastic which can be just a sign of normal use. They have to prove that the issue on the screen came from the said scratch, otherwise they have to honor warranty.

Car and motorcycles companies have strange ideas about warranties sometimes too. If you buy a new car or motorcycle, their warranty guides may say that you cannot touch anything in the bike/car or the warranty is void, which is not true and nothing but a scare tactic. Lets say you swap the muffler or have a vehicle tuned and during warranty period brakes stop working. No matter what their guides say, by law they have to fix it OR prove that your new muffler and reprogrammed ECU is what broke the brakes. AFAIK this is the case even in the otherwise customer hostile and corporate ass kissing USA market.
The insane part is the screen wasn't even damaged -- it was fully functional! They wanted to replace the screen because the PLASTICS were damaged (from a screwdriver/spudger, looks like), and they refused warranty on EVERYTHING because that damage was caused by the customer.

It's absurd on multiple levels. Steve sent it in for the joystick, not the plastic. The plastic damage was purely cosmetic, and did not cause the joystick failure. They could have ignored the plastic damage, or simply asked if Steve wanted to pay extra to have it fixed, but instead they went orbital and decided not to do anything (possibly even reassembly, by their own words) unless Steve payed up.

It was borderline extortion.

ASUS RMA has been outed MANY times on here and other places over the last decade or so. I refuse to buy anymore of their products. It's a damn shame because some of their hardware is really good.

I think after HN caught them about a year ago, they promised they would get better but have obviously regressed back to normal. Shady ass company.

I honestly didn't know that if you remove/damage/tamper with the "warranty void if removed" sticker, for example simply engaging the screw driver into the screw hole (which will damage or tamper with the sticker), the manufacturer can't reject your warranty. That's how I interpret base on watching the first minute of this video posted just now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHQqKi9NcTs

Directly from FTC website. The manufacturer can always challenge FTC in court. Interesting...

ASUS RMA has been outed MANY times on here and other places over the last decade or so. I refuse to buy anymore of their products. It's a damn shame because some of their hardware is really good.

I think after HN caught them about a year ago, they promised they would get better but have obviously regressed back to normal. Shady ass company.
Maybe the guy managing their RMA facility is just a flaming a--h--- who keeps his job because he doesn't go over budget. And the corporate mucky-mucks don't know about all the crap around RMA. So how do you their attention? Write a letter in Chinese, sent to headquarters in Taiwan, addressed to the CEO?

I haven't bought an Asus product in over 10 years. There's a reason for this. Multiple reasons actually. Besides Asus stuff breaking often, it is a pain to get anything RMA'd. Also compared to other companies, I feel that Asus charges more for less. It's one of those situations where Asus has long standing brand recognition and is now abusing it.

Back