• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HardOCP on Tim Allen's Website

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 9, 2002
Messages
7,890
That’s not to say that Allen isn’t enticed by the prospect of a superfast, high-performance PC. What he’s looking for is a company that sells premade, souped-up machines that are like the hot-rod kits you can buy for cars. According to our resident mod master, Yoshi, there aren’t any companies that fit that description. But here are a few of the best PC-modding resources for building your own hot-rod machine:

* HardOCP
* Xoxide
* PC-Mod
* ExoticPC
* Alienware
http://www.timallen.com/actor/press_archive/index.php
 
The problem is that there is a fundamental difference between souping up cars and souping up computers. With a car, you can add things to make it go faster (exhaust systems, different intake, etc). When you add things to a computer, you increase the number of things it can do, but in general it slows the computer down. You can't buy something you plug into your CPU to make it run faster.

The only parallel I can see is that overclocking is kinda like tweaking the EFI/carburetor, and playing with memory timings is a little like tweaking the timing on the engine. That's about where the similarities end.

If you want your computer to go faster, you usually buy a new CPU. That sometimes requires buying a new MB as well. The equivalent in the car world might be something like replacing the engine and transmission.

As for selling pre-overclocked machines, Alienware has had some in the past, but companies that sell them are few and far between. It's a matter of market size. Most people who want the seriously overclocked machines.....do it themselves. There are extremely few people who
-know what overclocking is
-don't know how to do it themselves
-are rich enough to pay someone else a ridiculous sum to do it for them.

In the car world, there are a whole lot more people who
-know what a souped-up car is
-don't know how to do it themselves
-are rich enough to pay someone else a ridiculous sum to do it for them.
 
Im sure rich ppl would be into custom computers. Paint/theme anywho...I mean Paris Hilton needs one to match her Gucci Bags..
 
LOL! Of course that's more of a case-modding thing than a souping-up thing. You could probably case mod a machine with a PIII-500 in it and it would be enough.

Of course, a two-generation-ago computer is plenty for 95% of the population, provided you don't put WinXP on it. I live on campus at my university, and my Athlon XP 1800 is one of the fastest in our complex by a long shot. A typical computer is inthe 400-800MHz range here.

Sorry, off-topic.
 
1st Sgt. Burke said:
Im sure rich ppl would be into custom computers. Paint/theme anywho...I mean Paris Hilton needs one to match her Gucci Bags..


Haha yeah exactly,

That is pretty cool that he has it up on there website.
 
Teancup, you're over examining way too much.

He said HardOCP is a resource for modding. Xoxide is also a resource, but a different kind of resource.

HardOCP is an instructional source and Xoxide is an equipment resource.

I think the parallels to supping up a car and computer are pretty good. Aesthetic changes to both can improve internal performance and improve the 'engine' output.
 
Teancum said:
You can't buy something you plug into your CPU to make it run faster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a CPU plug into a ziff socket, doesn't a video card go into a AGP slot? Doesn't installing a new PSU give your computer more juice and make it able to reach higher stable clocks? There's also not just fixing up the mechanics of the car, but the body itself. For instance I just bought a sound card, a pair of heatspreaders for my memory and a pair of cold cathodes, which is more or less the exact same thing as some ricer buying a system, covers for his seats and an underglow kit for his car. w00t for computer ricing!
 
To bad G4 hosed "The Screen Savers". It was great when Pat and Leo were doing it. Now I wouldn't even wipe my rear with it for fear of getting an infection. :(
 
You can't buy something you plug into your CPU to make it run faster

You mean you haven't heard about those new cpu electron accelerators?? Guaranteed to double your cpu speed!! :eek: J/K!! :D
 
I don't know if you guys will remeber this, but the odl 486's had something called overdrive, which would I believe go between the processor and the ziff socket.
 
Look, everyone knows adding stickers and case badges to your PC adds MHz just like adding "Type-R" sickers to a honda adds HP :p

Thats pretty cool that Tim Allen actually knows something about computers... it makes you wonder if there are some celebs that actually know there is something other than "A Pentium and a Mac"...
 
Tim Allen needs one of my custom cases......I must build him one for free just for kicks :D
 
lolololz, his forum/idea exchange is hilarious.....

Listen to what this mac guy says:

this is not right, the price of a PC is not lower than of a Mac. You can read for example this article http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/36120.html to inform you first. I think people should inform themselves before posting things, which are not really true..




keekles...what a retard.
 
Tiny said:
To bad G4 hosed "The Screen Savers". It was great when Pat and Leo were doing it. Now I wouldn't even wipe my rear with it for fear of getting an infection. :(
I couldn't agree more.
 
vapb400 said:
...............................why on earth were you on Tim Allen's site?

It all started when I was at Bob and Tom's site, which led to Tim Allen's site.

I just thought it was neat to see Hard|OCP mentioned there.
 
Teancum said:
The problem is that there is a fundamental difference between souping up cars and souping up computers. With a car, you can add things to make it go faster (exhaust systems, different intake, etc) You can't buy something you plug into your CPU to make it run faster.

not true, they use to make thoes overdrive chips for 486's :D :D
 
Teancum said:
You can't buy something you plug into your CPU to make it run faster.
no, you just buy a whole new CPU

if you already acheived max HP with your car, buying a new engine is one way to go, how would that not be the same as buying a new CPU ?
 
Qtip42 said:
lolololz, his forum/idea exchange is hilarious.....

Listen to what this mac guy says:






keekles...what a retard.

I just about got sick reading that crap.That article is so biased it's not even funny.


Chris
 
Teancum said:
The problem is that there is a fundamental difference between souping up cars and souping up computers. With a car, you can add things to make it go faster (exhaust systems, different intake, etc). When you add things to a computer, you increase the number of things it can do, but in general it slows the computer down. You can't buy something you plug into your CPU to make it run faster.

The only parallel I can see is that overclocking is kinda like tweaking the EFI/carburetor, and playing with memory timings is a little like tweaking the timing on the engine. That's about where the similarities end.

If you want your computer to go faster, you usually buy a new CPU. That sometimes requires buying a new MB as well. The equivalent in the car world might be something like replacing the engine and transmission.

As for selling pre-overclocked machines, Alienware has had some in the past, but companies that sell them are few and far between. It's a matter of market size. Most people who want the seriously overclocked machines.....do it themselves. There are extremely few people who
-know what overclocking is
-don't know how to do it themselves
-are rich enough to pay someone else a ridiculous sum to do it for them.

In the car world, there are a whole lot more people who
-know what a souped-up car is
-don't know how to do it themselves
-are rich enough to pay someone else a ridiculous sum to do it for them.

The parallels are not so much in specifics. The parallel between customizing a car and customizing a computer is in the fact that the person doing it is adding something beyond stock which he can be proud of. I started working on computers and now that my family is into restoring cars as well, I can without a doubt say that there are many parallels. Of course there are inherent differences, one machine is primarily running in the domain of electronics, the other is primarily running in the mechanical domain. The parallel is in the the workmanship and care that goes into customizing. And don't tell my there isn't a parallel between GHz and horsepower.

Just my 2 cents.

Epi
 
Somehow I doubt most rich celebrities actually use computers for more than just "checking my e-mail".
 
epimetheus said:
The parallels are not so much in specifics. The parallel between customizing a car and customizing a computer is in the fact that the person doing it is adding something beyond stock which he can be proud of. I started working on computers and now that my family is into restoring cars as well, I can without a doubt say that there are many parallels. Of course there are inherent differences, one machine is primarily running in the domain of electronics, the other is primarily running in the mechanical domain. The parallel is in the the workmanship and care that goes into customizing. And don't tell my there isn't a parallel between GHz and horsepower.

Just my 2 cents.

Epi


Agreed. What's the difference between replacing the exhaust system on a car to make it go faster and replacing the cpu in a computer to make it go faster? What's the difference between using a new/different intake on a car to make it go faster and using new/different ram in a computer to make it go faster. Both are machines that can be tweaked, broke, fixed, souped up, modded and changed however the owner wants, for performance and asthetic reasons. I think you'd be hard pressed to find two other "hobbies" that are so parallel. I'm not sure where Teancum is coming from?
 
The parallels are definitely there as long as you don't bog it down to technical specifics like Teancum did... Me and car 'souping friends have always recognized this.

There is one important area where they differ as a hobby though, imo, and that's market value and depreciation. Obviously car modding, 'souping, and customizing is a bigger market but the product also has a longer-lasting value as a whole.

You can make an argument that the PC-modding biz is a market as healthy as any other but the finished product (the actual modded/OC'd PC) doesn't hold it's value for very long (other than maybe the case) and it'll remain as so for as long as technology keeps moving as fast as it has for years.

When it comes to cars though there's plenty of people out there willing to pay for and modify classic Camaros, Mustangs, etc. The upshot probably is that our hobby is cheaper than cars are but anyway...
 
Tiny said:
To bad G4 hosed "The Screen Savers". It was great when Pat and Leo were doing it. Now I wouldn't even wipe my rear with it for fear of getting an infection. :(

i agree... it was much better... techtv was much better back then too.. now it just plain sucks
 
Hmmm...

4-barrel carb = SLI?

New cam/timing = tweaking FSB/memory timings?

Chroming engine parts = Alienware

Lower (higher?) geared transmission = ?

Custom intake/exhaust headers = ?

Nitrous = AOL web accelerator! teh win! :p
 
epimetheus said:
The parallels are not so much in specifics. The parallel between customizing a car and customizing a computer is in the fact that the person doing it is adding something beyond stock which he can be proud of. I started working on computers and now that my family is into restoring cars as well, I can without a doubt say that there are many parallels. Of course there are inherent differences, one machine is primarily running in the domain of electronics, the other is primarily running in the mechanical domain. The parallel is in the the workmanship and care that goes into customizing. And don't tell my there isn't a parallel between GHz and horsepower.

Just my 2 cents.

Epi

Ditto here. I've dealt with both cars and computers and in essense, they are same thing. You spend money for marginal gain in practical life :p There are extremeties, there are mild modification, you can all do it yourself or you can learn. To be honest, modding car takes much more planning and time than computer would unless you start fabricating things such as water chiller or vapor phase cooling yourself.
As for cost involved, I think I dumped close to 6k last year alone playing with diff components, cooling, etc. I remember spending about same amount when I was doing car mods :p (Obviously I had to kill one of my hobby) In actuality, if you don't program, make your own control boards, write control codes, playing with computer is a lot easier to do than playing with cars (newer cars I dont' even bother as there is only so much you can do before CPU need to be modified which isn't.... cheapest of all things)
 
AMD T-type said:
if you already acheived max HP with your car, buying a new engine is one way to go, how would that not be the same as buying a new CPU ?

Wow... you know ur a geek when you read HP to mean health points :)
 
Once I win the lottery, :D I'll hire one of you guys at a nice fat salary to be my personal rig builder / modder / tweaker.
That way I won't have to get my hands dirty, or pull my hair out in frustration.

Plus I can say Look what I did! to my "friends" and the [H] in general.
In other words, I'll hire someone to make my E-penis bigger. :eek:
 
An efluffer, or would that be just be called epenis fluffer... Now there's an idea...
 
That is pretty cool....Must be the person that does his site put it on there...
 
Back
Top