HardOCP Support Project/s

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
On the subjects of projects: From the poll that is being voted on here, I see no clear winner on this. I would rather pull HardOCP’s support behind the single project that truly brought us all together in the first place. This would accomplish two things; getting us focused in a single direction and end all the hub-bub that seemingly always surrounds supporting two projects.

19 of you want to go with WCG, 28 of you want to do something else. 11 of those 28 would rather drop a second project.

This thread will serve as the OFFICIAL VOTE for a secondary project or a single projectFolding@ Home. Any person that registers after this thread is posted will NOT have a vote. Voting is open to ANY member that is current on F@H or UD. If you are not involved in one of these projects, do not vote. If you do, you will be banned for life. Be advised any suspicion of vote tampering will get you banned for life. Consider this the no bullshit zone. There will be no warnings and there will be no second chances. Voting will end Saturday mid-day.

Votes will be made public.

UPDATE: Some members here have made good points about the voting period and I will leave voting on this open till sometime next week.

Voted WCG finally due to the large umbrella of projects.

I like our team kicking ass as much as we can and since WCG seems to have a blanket of varies projects (including R@H), that gets my vote.

VIVA LA [H]ORDE

Having two teams has caused troubles for all the years that I have been in this DC family. I vote for One Team.

I love the idea of the simplicity of one project, but know that we would loose many of our team mates if we walk down that road. So far I have only tried R@H but cannot say that it is *the* project to go to yet.

(As the issues may stand, welcome back to our small part of your forum Kyle, we value your input!)

Voted for F@H only as the WCG thread with Moose and Marty gave me a headache.

In any aspect World Community Grid should be the one to replace UD, since it has the look and feel of a new United Devices project.

No person should be forced to go to one project for distributed computing, that is asking for trouble no matter where you go with it.

I voted folding@home only.

While having two projects under one team would be great, I feel that more good can be done sticking with just one project.

I understand that one of the main reasons driving the second project was for computers that were older and could no longer keep up with stanford's WUs, but at a certain point the economic side-effects of using non-renewable resources to power old machines outweighs the scientific good that can come out of the project.

Just my thoughts and opinions on the deal.

I'm going to hold off on voting till Saturday morning as I'm interested in seeing how the rest of our community is reacting in ways of agreeing or agreeing to disagree or whatever. If a second "officially supported" project is begun I may or may not dedicate some resources to it. I would want more time to see how the members here are reacting to the new client, problems, ease of deployment, etc. It's also very important to me that our community here gets along though so it's also possible that I may end up voting with the majority. Wrong reason to choose but I'd rather see us together and working than fractured and bickering and loosing come of our valuable members or resources.

PS - ReaperofDreams - I've got you in my sights. :D I'm adding a GPU client in another week and am catching up. Few months out right now though.

I voted for WCG, as I have in all the other polls. I dont have the equipement to turn out work units quickly enough for F@H. I think this has been dragged out for far too long now, thanks Kyle for setting an end date for it.

WCG because you can choose exactly where you want to focus your work.

I voted for R@H, it installed without a fuss on my friends old boxes (1.6 Athlon and 1.7 P4) and has completed work within the deadlines with the boxes only running 10 hours a day. :)

I have completed work in just about every DC project this team has had. F@H, G@H, FAD, UD are the one's I have worked on.
I like the fact that we are trying to do some good for mankind, and I believe that spreading out our support for two projects is justified.

Voted WCG finally due to the large umbrella of projects.

I also voted for this for the same reason mostly... while I appreciate F@H as a project, I think it would be nice to have an alternate project... especially for people with slower machines (I myself also have some slower machines that I would like to particpate in a DC project with and F@H dosent give me that opportunity)

Also could you imagine if F@H went away and it was our only project? talk about throwing a monkey in the wrench! :D

Also could you imagine if F@H went away and it was our only project? talk about throwing a monkey in the wrench! :D

well if it did....it would be because you finished all of the WUs :D

My vote went to F@H only. Now, that isn't to say I don't support having teams on other projects, after all, they are all about the science in the end. That being said, I have seen the infighting over which project should get support over the years (F@H or UD) - right now the problem has been solved for us with the shutdown of UD. While I'm sad to see a whole wing of people get the carpet pulled from under them, it just makes sense to push our weight in one direction rather than two.

So with that, I vote that F@H should be the only official [H]ard DC team, though if you have older boxen around or want to put a few onto another project, you should more than feel free to do that as well.

There are too many F@H'ers that are reading all the bs thats going on surrounding this second team idea again. Im sure will flood the polls in favor of their project only. Its sad that we have had 2 teams for years, and now all of a sudden UD is gone and the people that worked their rears off in UD, paid their bills for the electricity and components are either going to be forced to F@H or go elsewhere. I folded almost 2 Million points for UD and I'll be dammed if I F@H just because of a power struggle and people wanting more members for F@H! This vote will be totally lopsided because there are more F@H'ers.

If you followed closely, there isn't a "power-struggle" its valid to ask if there is another project that is worthy to replace UD, taking the time to find that project before committing the team to it. Not all F@H people only want F@H.

People are working their asses off for both F@H, and UD. The problem is it is rare for many of the UD people to come into the forums and talk, and express their thoughts and opinions.

So kudos to you for stepping out, now find more former UD'ers to come in here and have their say.

Kodiak, I can understand the "worthy replacement idea" , I don't participate much on the forums as I possibly could, because there are allot of people on these boards a hell of allot smarter than I am about computers and OS's. I just don't like the idea of having say for example 2000 F@H'ers deciding the fate of 200 former UD'ers. I like folding for the Horde, I've never bitched about it before, and I don't know many people because I don't visit the Distributed forums much. But I have been a member of these boards for a long time, and I have learned allot. But to have again imo a lopsided ammount deciding not cool at all.

If anything, the argument is if there's something worthy of replacing UD. I think the group consensus is to continue under the [H] banner regardless of project, but its also finding a project thats viable enough to rally support around.

No one should feel forced to choose a project, fold for whatever you deem worthy, this is just to decide on what, if anything, the [H] is going to offically endorse in the form of pimpage and what not.

That being said, I am firmly for the single team, as F@H has been stable for me, and provided the easiest experience for me to setup.

A small point to consider, is like you said, you don't come here to the forums much, there are a lot of others who don't. Many don't know whats going on and will just blind vote. Currently there are only 30 some people who have voted, normally [H]ard Folder of the month gets 60 or so votes I think?

This is something (project) that shouldn't be rashly or quickly decided I feel.

I am sure in the next week or two, more people like you will come in to see whats going on, and why their UD machines are sitting idle..

I voted for WCG. I feel that we should work on two projects to diversify our efforts. I think that ``never put all your eggs in one basket'' is an American saying as well. As such, I think that working on a second project is a good idea. My vote for WCG was motivated by their Linux client and the fact that it encompasses multiple subprojects.

There are too many F@H'ers that are reading all the bs thats going on surrounding this second team idea again. Im sure will flood the polls in favor of their project only. Its sad that we have had 2 teams for years, and now all of a sudden UD is gone and the people that worked their rears off in UD, paid their bills for the electricity and components are either going to be forced to F@H or go elsewhere. I folded almost 2 Million points for UD and I'll be dammed if I F@H just because of a power struggle and people wanting more members for F@H! This vote will be totally lopsided because there are more F@H'ers.

Allow me to get this out of the way now - I am a F@H member for [H] (used to run UD for a different team before I went F@H though) - if you want to read bias into that, feel free.

I am supporting with my vote a move to just one team, at least officially. It is not out of hate for other projects or anything like that, but as a means to be more streamlined and more simply organized at the macro level. By officially, I mean have formal leadership for only one project, as Kyle said in another post, these forums will still be open for discussing any and all other projects and I wouldn't mind seeing people start [H] teams on any number of them. Mostly, I'm thinking one official team will help to streamline organization and focus the power of the [H] membership.

I truly am sorry that UD got shut down, I used to fold under that project for a different team, and I respect the science behind it and moreover totally respect all the members of the [H] team that put forth the same effort toward it as their F@H counterparts did. However, I see nobody being 'forced' to move in any direction. You are free to fold for whatever project(s) you support, and as I said before, would be really psyched to see [H]ard teams dominating many projects - I am only advocating F@H being the main project for the team. If you don't like F@H and don't want to dedicate your money, components, and effort to that cause, it is entirely up to you.

Basically, I just want to make clear that nobody is forcing you into anything, regardless of the decision of the whole on the matter. Moreover, I (and potentially others, though I can't speak for them) appreciate your contribution to UD, and I would hope that you would dedicate yourself to whatever cause(s) the team votes to support. You are free to do whatever you want with your components and money, but don't place the rage of UD getting shut down onto the F@H members of the team, as the loss of that project is not their fault. We fought and earned the #1 F@H spot with 2 teams, and we can maintain it with two teams in the future if that's what the people want. Please, don't assume that everyone that is backing F@H is against all other projects, because it really isn't that way at all.

Well said Maniacmous. Also, if you choose not to fold for F@H and the [H]orde, just remember, keep folding, no matter what project or team.

That is why we are here. :)

Allow me to get this out of the way now - I am a F@H member for [H] (used to run UD for a different team before I went F@H though) - if you want to read bias into that, feel free.

I am supporting with my vote a move to just one team, at least officially. It is not out of hate for other projects or anything like that, but as a means to be more streamlined and more simply organized at the macro level. By officially, I mean have formal leadership for only one project, as Kyle said in another post, these forums will still be open for discussing any and all other projects and I wouldn't mind seeing people start [H] teams on any number of them. Mostly, I'm thinking one official team will help to streamline organization and focus the power of the [H] membership.

I truly am sorry that UD got shut down, I used to fold under that project for a different team, and I respect the science behind it and moreover totally respect all the members of the [H] team that put forth the same effort toward it as their F@H counterparts did. However, I see nobody being 'forced' to move in any direction. You are free to fold for whatever project(s) you support, and as I said before, would be really psyched to see [H]ard teams dominating many projects - I am only advocating F@H being the main project for the team. If you don't like F@H and don't want to dedicate your money, components, and effort to that cause, it is entirely up to you.

Basically, I just want to make clear that nobody is forcing you into anything, regardless of the decision of the whole on the matter. Moreover, I (and potentially others, though I can't speak for them) appreciate your contribution to UD, and I would hope that you would dedicate yourself to whatever cause(s) the team votes to support. You are free to do whatever you want with your components and money, but don't place the rage of UD getting shut down onto the F@H members of the team, as the loss of that project is not their fault. We fought and earned the #1 F@H spot with 2 teams, and we can maintain it with two teams in the future if that's what the people want. Please, don't assume that everyone that is backing F@H is against all other projects, because it really isn't that way at all.

Maybe it's either:
A. Because im a im not very intelligent.
B. I'm fighting a losing battle against having just one team.
C. I'm full of rage :D

But to me, and this is just my opinion since ive never talked to you, or I cannot read you very well,(ie. inflections, and body language)
But all of these post to me sound like either you fold with us or against us. You guys busted your asses to get #1 in F@H, and I'm glad im a member of a team that did an achievement like that. But you all are already #1, from here out just seems like a boasting and pissing contest. It is not anyones fault here on the H forums that UD shutdown, but that doesn't mean that we can't select another project and keep folding under the same banner. Let us former UD'ers select our little project and slip back into the shadows, and keep on folding.

But all of these post to me sound like either you fold with us or against us. You guys busted your asses to get #1 in F@H, and I'm glad im a member of a team that did an achievement like that. But you all are already #1, from here out just seems like a boasting and pissing contest.

Thats why im for having a second project and reasons why we have partially lost some big folders. I cant remember the last time there was a "OMG the roos are catching up" thread. So, what is better than being #1 in a project....being #1 in TWO projects :)

This pretty much like how safe is your data if you don't backup it.

So say F@h does get shut down suddenly, and what no other project we are on, well what do we do? Say we fall back on that second project, but we then realize there is nothing to be a backup plan.

Then we are prettly much screwed.

I need to do more research on the other projects before I can make an informed decision. I am leaning towards the F@H+WCG simply due to fact that some people dont like F@H or don't have the boxen for it or whatever. I want everyone to just keep folding for SOMETHING no matter what team you are on, who you fold for, why you fold etc. I do F@H only simply (as pHantom said) it works well for me and I havent had any issues and due to that have approval from work to run it there.

I would choose the 2 project (I have always considered us the [H]orde not F@H or UD) option only because I would hate someone to turn off a boxen never to turn it on again for folding purposes simply because they didn't like MY "choice"

I voted F@h only..I only have ~10 machines at any given time, and like to contribute successfully to one project

I have thrown my vote to F@H and WCG. I did this for a few reasons. FIrst and foremost, because the WCG seems to be the heir apparent to the work done with the UD/Grid community. Secondly, having done the UD project for over 6 years, and having been involved with getting the [H]orde associated to the project, I thought my opinion might count for something.

I believe that supporting two teams does not weaken our cause, or dilute our dedication. Diversity is only a problem if it is not handled right. If proper care is shown to both, both can not only exist side-by-side, they can prosper. The key is setting expectations correctly, and abiding by what is agreed to. You make it clear from the outset what the "dealio" is going to be, and you go forward.

I was there when we went from being a "single project" team, to supporting two. It was tough, because there was a lot of misunderstanding about loyalty, and recruiting etc. It remained that way for a long time, until the UD community just lay low, and did their thing. It was easier that way. I think we can do it better this time.

In case you are wondering, I am now doing F@H exclusively. I tell you that in an effort to further validate my feelings that we should always have an alternative, even if I have not chosen to go that way personally.

I voted FAH only but my reasons behind it are to not stop anyone else from doing another project or supporting the questions and ideas in the DC forum. But simply because I do not have the time or resources to try all the different clients and projects out there while I am on the road with my single laptop. And my unability to monitor my machines at home on a daily bias much less a weekly bias.

The biggest thing I think is that even if we do drop to 1 Hard project that anyone coming into the DC forums should be treated fairly and welcomed with open arms instead of the bashing and many posts of you should just join FAH.

I voted for R@H because as a health professional in Washington I want to support the University of Washington's efforts.

I've put up my vote for F@H alone. I don't want to discourage anyone from participating in any of these noble projects, but it just seems at this time one "official" project is best.

Kodiak, I can understand the "worthy replacement idea" , I don't participate much on the forums as I possibly could, because there are allot of people on these boards a hell of allot smarter than I am about computers and OS's. I just don't like the idea of having say for example 2000 F@H'ers deciding the fate of 200 former UD'ers. I like folding for the Horde, I've never bitched about it before, and I don't know many people because I don't visit the Distributed forums much. But I have been a member of these boards for a long time, and I have learned allot. But to have again imo a lopsided ammount deciding not cool at all.

I'm not too happy about the number of F@H members vs UD members concerning the vote. It does make it lopsided rather badly. Especially since many of the UDers have generally been more lurkers than anything.

One thing I do know, is that the [H]orde will lose a lot of members if the choice is F@H only. Their reasons for not wanting to do F@H are none of anyone's business and should not matter. Why should a single project be more important than the members of the team? This is supposed to be a team effort and I see too many people pushing for a single project which will drive people away. I always thought we were out to get more people to join, whichever project it was.

Two projects show strength for the team as a whole. Two projects allow the members to compete how they want. Two projects means everyone has a choice. Two projects means we can kick the asses of a lot more people.

One project means people are forced to leave the [H]orde because they don't want to do F@H. Some people joined UD to help the [H]orde there. For those that don't want to do F@H, why do you want to throw them out? Some of you keep saying people have a choice. The choice you are trying to give them is join F@H or leave the [H]orde. What kind of choice is that? How would you like it if someone came up to you and said join WCG or leave the [H]orde? I'd bet you'd feel much the same way these people are feeling now.

I want to put all my points, WUs, time, whatever towards the [H]orde and I plan to put a couple of my boxen on WCG since I had checked it out. I want to see the [H]orde compete in another place. We have the drive, the people and the boxen to do it. I see no reason why we shouldn't.

I still remember seeing posts by non-members saying if there was a WCG [H]orde team, they would join. While I don't condone trying to steal members from other teams, I'm sure there are plenty of people there which would love to switch teams if given the chance.

I see two projects as strengthening and growing the team. Competition on the F@H side is practically 0 right now. Another project would bring that competition back for at least some.

I don't worry about what project is chosen since it's not easy to meet the standards that the [H]orde requires for a project to be worth our time. Any project that can meet or surpass those standards will be fine and there seem to be two very good projects that meet our needs. My personal choice is WCG. It has two different clients that can be used and it's supported under different OSes. It also has sub projects and gives you the choice of running one or more of them. It's your choice.

F@H and WCG together give a lot more choices and keeps a lot more people happy. F@H only leaves one choice, do F@H or leave/don't join the [H]orde. A second project doesn't harm F@H. A single project does harm the [H]orde.

Maybe it's either:
A. Because im a im not very intelligent.
B. I'm fighting a losing battle against having just one team.
C. I'm full of rage :D

But to me, and this is just my opinion since ive never talked to you, or I cannot read you very well,(ie. inflections, and body language)
But all of these post to me sound like either you fold with us or against us. You guys busted your asses to get #1 in F@H, and I'm glad im a member of a team that did an achievement like that. But you all are already #1, from here out just seems like a boasting and pissing contest. It is not anyones fault here on the H forums that UD shutdown, but that doesn't mean that we can't select another project and keep folding under the same banner. Let us former UD'ers select our little project and slip back into the shadows, and keep on folding.

As I said in a previously ignored post, I have been a one team guy for a very long time. Things have changed however and hardware and costs and productivity have become an issue. I suggested the same project you like after trying out several of them and finding that would probably be the easiest for most UD folk to simply slip into. The project itself stands on its own merits I believe.

That said, while still a hardcore Folder I don’t feel as if I’m in any position to tell anyone else what to do. That would be like me in my state voting for laws in your state (someone else’s thought originally but I liked the analogy).

At any rate non of this should have ever reached this point, I really thought the maturity level in this forum had progressed further then this.

Which ever project you choose, you choose with your heart, not the pressure of others.

God, I hate it when this stuff happens. We're supposed to be a team, but every time a question for the whole team arises we just fragment. It's awfully discouraging. Only like 1% of the team is in here arguing - the others are tacit on the subject. This, it seems to me, is a wise policy.

Don't get me wrong - I think we have a great community at [H] in general, and especially in DC. But there need not be so much commotion about changes. One topic on the subject with a reasonable discussion, which peters out after three pages, should suffice. I see six threads right now, with a total of 200 some posts in them. Give it a rest, please. It amazes me how hard we work to tear ourselves down when the opportunity presents itself.

When you cast your vote, try to keep in mind what you think the direction for the team should be, rather than your personal preference. They can be different things.

I have seen some folks say that they cast a vote for a single project because they did not have the time, equipment or desire to support another project. But if you don't object to the team in general doing so, then you could still cast a vote for multiple projects.

I am not trying to tell anyone how to vote, just trying to point out one reason why one would not necessarily have to vote for a single project scenario, even if they themselves could only support one.

God, I hate it when this stuff happens. We're supposed to be a team, but every time a question for the whole team arises we just fragment. It's awfully discouraging. Only like 1% of the team is in here arguing - the others are tacit on the subject. This, it seems to me, is a wise policy.

Don't get me wrong - I think we have a great community at [H] in general, and especially in DC. But there need not be so much commotion about changes. One topic on the subject with a reasonable discussion, which peters out after three pages, should suffice. I see six threads right now, with a total of 200 some posts in them. Give it a rest, please. It amazes me how hard we work to tear ourselves down when the opportunity presents itself.

I agree, but the general feeling I get from most of the posts is, were only wanting one sactioned team, and I think that is total BS. I mean really, who in the hell is it gonna hurt to run 2 teams? I'm speaking up now, because it seems everyone else wants to follow F@H like its the only thing out there. Yes I miss UD, but WCG is the closest that runs great on my equipment. If it comes down to F@H, I guess i'll take my toys elsewhere. I can hear it now....well we'll cya later, and thats not the response that should be coming across to former UD'ers. I mean my opinion carrys little wieght on these forums, I dont have a flashy HardDC'er beside my name. But at least all the UD'ers can say is we gave...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back