doubt it because you don't need the windows game launcher open to play any games purchased through it. the only thing i can think of is that you may need an xbox account but you get that for free with windows 10.
It was confirmed that you need a Microsoft account to play the game because that is how their DRM works. And you're right: The Microsoft Store is just a distribution platform, not a launcher like Steam and others.

Halo CE (PC) was one of the LAN games my friends and I played whenever we all got together. This sort of makes me want to throw a LAN now just to play the other Halo games.

Halo CE (PC) was one of the LAN games my friends and I played whenever we all got together. This sort of makes me want to throw a LAN now just to play the other Halo games.
I'd totally be down for playing through Halo 3 in 4-player coop again.

Googling Halo yields so much stuff. Can someone give me a 2 sentence run-down about what this game has that is new, or what it should be compared to? I found out it's a sci fi shooter of sorts, is it like Prey? And is it SP or MP only, or both? Is the SP any good? Just looking for a few nuggets of wisdom thanks

Halo is a single player sci-if story driven shooter. multi player wasn't halos focus until later iterations. All halos have multiplayer, but you can tell they focused more and more on it the closer you get to Reach.

Basically reinvented the consol shooter as well as giving us what has basically become the standard button mapping for a twinstick consol FPS.

It was revolutionary for the day, has aged well enough (have MCC on xbone) but given that most games have ripped the best parts of halo off by now, don't expect revolutionary. It is an old game, but a good old game.

I have been hoping for this for years! Halo CO-OP campaigns are still fun as hell and to me outshine many modern titles.

Very excited by this news. Also excited that a good developer (Splash Damage) will be helping bring the title over.

Offline Lan

Hell yes!

Halo 1 on pc was pretty fun. I've replayed the single player campaign 3 or 4 times over the years.

No ability to LAN offline, or run dedicated servers, has been a dissapointment with newer shooters. Nothing like a lanparty where everyone has 2ms ping, if not 0ms!

It was confirmed that you need a Microsoft account to play the game because that is how their DRM works. And you're right: The Microsoft Store is just a distribution platform, not a launcher like Steam and others.

I am also guessing(hoping) that this means buying it on Steam will still enable crossplay so I can play on the Xbox as well.

Are you going to have to buy xbox live to play these games online? Certainly they aren't going to give that service away for free for all pc gamers.

Are you going to have to buy xbox live to play these games online? Certainly they aren't going to give that service away for free for all pc gamers.
You have not needed a paid Gold subscription to play Microsoft games online on PC since, what, 2007?

Hopefully it will support Xbox Play Anywhere. I have some console buddies I still want to play this with.

They should come out with a cheaper version and call it the Senior Chief Collection.

Crossplay is not guaranteed just because a title is Play Anywhere.

True. I'm crossing my fingers though. I just want to be able to coop this my console buddies but while enjoying it on mouse and keyboard.
It worked perfect for us while playing Gears of War 4 in horde. I also got yelled at for kill stealing as you can probably guess the advantage I had playing sniper with mouse and keyboard, haha.

Any idea on how much it's going to cost? Didn't read anything. lol

probably 100 bucks, microsofts standard pricing is 60, 80 and 100 for any game they release so wouldn't be surprised if the full collectors edition is 100. maybe they'll have other versions with reach not included or something for less.

Any idea on how much it's going to cost? Didn't read anything. lol
It's $30 on the Xbox + $5 for ODST.
probably 100 bucks, microsofts standard pricing is 60, 80 and 100 for any game they release so wouldn't be surprised if the full collectors edition is 100. maybe they'll have other versions with reach not included or something for less.
LOLKAY
upload_2019-3-13_12-36-52.png

If it's $100, I wont be buying it even though I've always wanted to play Halo. I will only buy it if it's under $50 for the whole collection.

I just don't want to buy the game again. I already own a digital copy on Xbox One, which will hopefully transfer to PC via the Windows Store.

But all my friends who buy the game on PC will buy it from Steam, so hopefully they either let us unlock the Steam version, or make the Steam version just a launcher to the Windows Store version, or allow crossplay between the Steam and Windows Store versions.

As much as it would be great to just get it for free if you already own it, like play anywhere, I doubt it. I could see $40, maybe $60 just because reach, but since it sounds like they are retooling each game one by one for PC I doubt we'd get that level of man-hours for free

What are you going on about?

I read about it in Pcgamer magazine ( 20 years ago maybe) a few months later MS bought bungie and made it a Xbox exclusive. That upset me because I wanted to play it and didn’t want to buy an Xbox to play it. I thought it was a shitty move back then and thought it was funny it’s all coming back full circle to pc again and made a slide remark about it. I think I still have that copy of Pcgamer, I’ll look for it to see if I’m still triggered by it

I read about it in Pcgamer magazine ( 20 years ago maybe) a few months later MS bought bungie and made it a Xbox exclusive. That upset me because I wanted to play it and didn’t want to buy an Xbox to play it. I thought it was a shitty move back then and thought it was funny it’s all coming back full circle to pc again and made a slide remark about it. I think I still have that copy of Pcgamer, I’ll look for it to see if I’m still triggered by it

MS' infusion of money probably resulted in a better game. Bungie had some really good stuff before Halo, but man Halo: CE was exceptional. It was one of my favorite FPS games for a long time.

It was originally going to be a MAC exclusive, not PC... so you'd have been out of luck completely if MS hadn't bought them, unless you had a Mac...

Bungie was, until they were bought out by MS, primarily a Mac development studio, with games like Marathon.

Last edited:
Meh. I bought Halo 1-4 + ODST on various xboxes. I'm not paying to play them again. What was once revolutionary gameplay is now run of the mill stuff.

That being said... if they actually supported real LAN play that would be kinda cool. I cannot remember the last time I LAN played anything (going back to Jedi Academy/Enemy Territory/Q3 team arena days)

If they design mouse controls properly so it's not a shitshow, I'll consider buying.

I have not beat the games past the original that was on PC, and I am itching to experience the rest of the story.

I already own MCC, so if the price is "too high" for me, I'll wait for a sale.
With a staggered release schedule, I'm assuming they'll ding us for at least $10-15 per title over time and THEN release a full price bundled version that's $5-10 cheaper, which will take minimum of six-nine months to see a decent sale.

Cautiously optimistic I'll be able to play sometime in 2021.

I'll drops 20 bucks for the entire collection, not a penny more. That's assuming they've fixed all the issues it had on launch.

It''s a port of a port that's 5 years old, so it's not exactly worth a premium price anymore.

Black Mesa is a better example of a proper HD remake (new models, new lighting, new maps) that can justify it's higher price tag ($20), while it looks like MCC Halo 1 and 2 just reuses the same polys/maps and adds HD textures and better lighting.

Last edited:
I'll drops 20 bucks for the entire collection, not a penny more. That's assuming they've fixed all the issues it had on launch.

It''s a port of a port that's 5 years old, so it's not exactly worth a premium price anymore.

Black Mesa is a better example of a proper HD remake (new models, new lighting, new maps) that can justify it's higher price tag ($20), while it looks like MCC Halo 1 and 2 just reuses the same polys/maps and adds HD textures and better lighting.

Black Mesa was a re-imagining, and a damn good one. The Aniversary editions of Halo 1 + 2 had a complete remodeling, retexturing and relighting and engine feature upgrade, but they still ran on the exact same game code as the originals, So faithfully that, in fact, you could turn the HD graphics on and off in real-time.

Black Mesa was a re-imagining, and a damn good one. The Aniversary editions of Halo 1 + 2 had a complete remodeling, retexturing and relighting and engine feature upgrade, but they still ran on the exact same game code as the originals, So faithfully that, in fact, you could turn the HD graphics on and off in real-time.

And have they fixed the issues that plagued the original release?

MS has a long history of porting a game to the PC platform, and then leaving it to die. I want to know that the collection that are starting with is at least stable, before I get my hopes up. Otherwise this will go in the $10 Steam Sale Wish list.

Last edited:
And have they fixed the issues that plagued the original release?

MS has a long history of porting a game to the PC platform, and then leaving it to die. I want to know that the collection that are starting with is at least stable.

343 has done a good number of major updates to MCC over the last year, pretty much fixing all the major issues as well as adding a few quality of life features to it. With the way they're handling this release you should be able to tell on a game-by-game basis how good the port job is.

Back