Halo 3 out sells Sony exclusives.... combined

dwk

Gawd
A tweet by Microsoft’s Arron Greenberg:

Just in from research team (NPD): Halo 3 has outsold Resistance 1 + 2, Uncharted 1+2, Killzone 2 and God of War III COMBINED….wow.

Link

That is pretty shocking to me. Out of that pool of games I would say Uncharted 2 and GoW3 are the best and would own both of them over Halo 3.

Edit:

Found the numbers:

Halo 3 - ~6.2 million

Resistance - ~1.2 million
Resistance 2 - ~0.7 million
Killzone 2 - ~0.9 million
Uncharted - ~0.6 million
Uncharted 2 - ~1.0 million
God of War 3 - ~1.3 million
Total ~ 5.7 million

Last edited:
On the flipside, Gran Turismo 1-3 has outsold all Halo games combined. So....woooo!!

A tweet by Microsoft’s Arron Greenberg:

Just in from research team (NPD): Halo 3 has outsold Resistance 1 + 2, Uncharted 1+2, Killzone 2 and God of War III COMBINED….wow.

Link

That is pretty shocking to me. Out of that pool of games I would say Uncharted 2 and GoW3 are the best and would own both of them over Halo 3.

I can't see it at work. What are the numbers? A lot or is it like 10?

He doesn't give any numbers, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Figures with E3 around the corner the big companies are going to start trolling each other for marketing reasons. :eek:

Not massively surprising. The PS3 hasn't had any retail megahit exclusives like Halo 3 or Gears so far. GT5 will be the first, but obviously bundling will play a major role in that one as retail success will only really come in Europe.

Impressive for such a mediocre game imo (please note the IMO).

Alright if you tally them all up I wouldn't call it "crushing."

Alternatively I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are. Every time I try to pull some up I get different results. Often not telling what they are - America, Europe, Worldwide, etc.

Halo 3 - 8.1m

Uncharted 1 - 2.6m
Uncharted 2 - 3.5m
Resistance 1 - 2.5m
Resistance 2 - 1.9m
Killzone 2 - 2.0m
God of War 3 - 1.1m

total = 13.6m

Probably just as accurate as your numbers. I pulled mine from wikipedia aside from Resistance 2. That was vgachartz.

Halo is the perennial FPS for console online game play. Would you expect any less? PS3 exclusives are still better.

Alternatively I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are. Every time I try to pull some up I get different results. Often not telling what they are - America, Europe, Worldwide, etc.
They're numbers direct from NPD (US sales tracking). There's nothing on the internet that'll give you accurate NPD numbers for much past the first month (mostly because to get the numbers you're looking at 10s of thousands of dollars per year)

The most unfortunate thing is that that list is all made up of terrible games..

Halo 3 - ~6.2 million
Resistance - ~1.2 million
Resistance 2 - ~0.7 million
Killzone 2 - ~0.9 million
Uncharted - ~0.6 million
Uncharted 2 - ~1.0 million
God of War 3 - ~1.3 million

Total ~ 5.7 million terrible games sold :-(

(okay Uncharted 1/2 are alright)

I've played both GoW3 and Halo3.... I found GoW more interesting and I'm normally an FPS gamer.

Anyway I thought the ps3 titles number would be much higher than that...

newsflash mario galaxy outsolde halo 3 by few hundred thousand Wii Restort outsold it 2 to 1 and Wii FIT outdid it 1.5 to one dispite being 40% more expensive. Wii Sports wiped the freaking floor with it at a total of 8 to 1 (but it was bundled)

new super mario brothers is well on it;s way to outselling halo 3 at a ratio of 2:1 lol

I believe everything that a business exec says about his competition. He has more integrity and honesty than your average nun. Clearly he is a trusted source.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Even if this is true, it doesn't mean anything. Halo appeals to frat house "bro" sensibilities. It's like saying PBR sells more racks of beer than all of your town's microbrews put together.

Obviously PBR is the better beer. Right?

Halo 3 - 8.1m

Uncharted 1 - 2.6m
Uncharted 2 - 3.5m
Resistance 1 - 2.5m
Resistance 2 - 1.9m
Killzone 2 - 2.0m
God of War 3 - 1.1m

total = 13.6m

Probably just as accurate as your numbers. I pulled mine from wikipedia aside from Resistance 2. That was vgachartz.

VGChartz is not a respectable source, everyone knows that. Also, these numbers are NPD so its not worldwide.

Ultimately none of this matters, Halo 3 was a good game but not great. I think the bigger picture here is that clearly none of Sonys major games are selling that great this generation. This certainly isn't the era of the PS2. Forget about comparing Sony to Microsoft.. the PS3 just isn't the PS2 and thats probably what Microsoft is trying to get across here. Considering how Sony dominated last gen, these numbers are very suprising.

This is the part where I quote the popularity of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus and then lament for the future of humanity.

Wheres the North America figures for number of Bigmacs eaten vs number of fillet steaks!!

I thought God of War 3 sold waaaay more than that? Didn't it outsell FF13?

VGChartz is not a respectable source, everyone knows that. Also, these numbers are NPD so its not worldwide.

Ultimately none of this matters, Halo 3 was a good game but not great. I think the bigger picture here is that clearly none of Sonys major games are selling that great this generation. This certainly isn't the era of the PS2. Forget about comparing Sony to Microsoft.. the PS3 just isn't the PS2 and thats probably what Microsoft is trying to get across here. Considering how Sony dominated last gen, these numbers are very suprising.

Can't say I didn't see a pro-microsoft post coming from you.

I couldn't find a link to any NPD numbers. None. Best I found was Wikipedia (not sure of their source but I'm sure you'll say unreliable or something), only one was from vgachartz.

Regardless I still don't believe the numbers are right. And if the other guys claims you can't get accurate numbers passed 1 month then the argument is pointless.

These numbers definitely don't look right. These actually look like first month numbers. So Halo 3 might have out sold these in the first month of its release vs the others first month. GoW 3 for example came out at the end of the month, so 1.1 in like 4 days isn't bad.

It really does look like monthly numbers.

Yeah, hopefully none of you were delusional enough to actually believe that Sony's exclusives would sell under a million copies, at least not the most popular ones.

Even if this is true, it doesn't mean anything. Halo appeals to frat house "bro" sensibilities. It's like saying PBR sells more racks of beer than all of your town's microbrews put together.

Obviously PBR is the better beer. Right?

PBR = Professional Bull Riding

They sell beer now?

I think people just need to understand that these are figures for the US only, where it shouldn't come as any great surprise that Halo sells considerably more than most games. Obviously it's a different story if you were to look at worldwide figures.

Halo is the perennial FPS for console online game play. Would you expect any less? PS3 exclusives are still better.

We're also forgetting how much ME1 and ME2 have sold, and all other 360 exlcusives. It's really no mystery that the 360 is doing better than the PS3, as someone before said, the PS2 was a success, the PS3 has been a nightmare for Sony. Fanboyism aside here...they're not doing well. Developers have even said they'd drop support for the PS3 if they could.

And this thread has turned into "he said she said" crap...

Where are Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, LittleBigPlanet, Haze, Heavenly Sword and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue on the exclusives list?

We're also forgetting how much ME1 and ME2 have sold, and all other 360 exlcusives. It's really no mystery that the 360 is doing better than the PS3, as someone before said, the PS2 was a success, the PS3 has been a nightmare for Sony. Fanboyism aside here...they're not doing well. Developers have even said they'd drop support for the PS3 if they could.

And this thread has turned into "he said she said" crap...

If you take away anything not avaible on another console/pc and horribly generic shooter/racers. Your left with viva pinata. In all its years, i've never seen one exclusive game that I wanted. But I am older than 12. Speaking of being 12, haven't the top 3 wii games probably sold more than all the xbox games combined?

Anyway...I'm sure when word gets around the big house where all game developers live that 38 of their companies have broken rank and are making games for the move their going to be pissed. The internet is a place you can find someone saying anything. For example, didn't the makers of Halo recently say they weren't making games exclusively for one console anymore? Damnit this e3 is going to be frosty.

Honestly, after reading the last few posts, I'm leaning towards

"Who should really give a shit about statements or stories like this?"

How many copies a game sold isn't going to lessen or increase the enjoyment you receive from the games you own and play.

It's kind of pointless to get worked up over dumb shit like this.

If you take away anything not avaible on another console/pc and horribly generic shooter/racers. Your left with viva pinata. In all its years, i've never seen one exclusive game that I wanted. But I am older than 12. Speaking of being 12, haven't the top 3 wii games probably sold more than all the xbox games combined?

Anyway...I'm sure when word gets around the big house where all game developers live that 38 of their companies have broken rank and are making games for the move their going to be pissed. The internet is a place you can find someone saying anything. For example, didn't the makers of Halo recently say they weren't making games exclusively for one console anymore? Damnit this e3 is going to be frosty.

Just to point out the link you provided mentions 36 developers. Not 38. It doesn't really matter. Just an interesting note.

I think people just need to understand that these are figures for the US only, where it shouldn't come as any great surprise that Halo sells considerably more than most games. Obviously it's a different story if you were to look at worldwide figures.

I still think they're wrong. But whatever.

Back