Half-Life 3 / Episode 3. Are you even interested anymore?

Generally people don't like 3 hour games, free mods sold for $50 and scams, but YMMV . :p (seriously if Activision/Ubisoft/EA had released any of those, you would still be hearing about it, but as it's Valve they just get "the usual")

I think the problem I had with slow dull crap like TF2 is I like faster "skillful" arena games like UT/Q3a, and that's what I'm "used" to.. But then again I guess I'm not the target audience for Valves titles.

At least with Valve games, even if its short, it will be a quality game for a right price. Valve hasn't released games that wasn't worth the price.

I am only interested in HL ep3 if it will be using the new Source engine.

I'm still waiting for episode 3, especially after the cliffhanger ending in EP2. I hope they didn't forget us.

For me, portal 2's story was enthralling. Would not have been the same game without it. If you want pure action, no story: play UT99: it was awesome and required no plot knowledge, yet it had a very distinctive progression throughout the single-player tournament. I would not play portal for the same sensation.

You seem like one of those people that used to argue which SP was better - UT or Q3. I'd laugh at your face for days if you said that to me in the real world.

Portal is a fucking puzzle game that has no use for story with multiple characters and lots of dialogues. Portal was perfect. P2 was bullshit designed to appeal to noobish people who need justification for every action in a game.

I still play Quake Live, though. Going to yet another LAN tournament next month \o/

You seem like one of those people that used to argue which SP was better - UT or Q3. I'd laugh at your face for days if you said that to me in the real world.

Portal is a fucking puzzle game that has no use for story with multiple characters and lots of dialogues. Portal was perfect. P2 was bullshit designed to appeal to noobish people who need justification for every action in a game.

I still play Quake Live, though. Going to yet another LAN tournament next month \o/

Wow, you brandish a lot of hatred for people who don't like what you like. I don't think it's fair to call anyone who doesn't like twitch shooters a 'noob'. I'm somewhat unique in this community in the fact that I didn't really enjoy HalfLife 2, but I'm not running around talking shit about people who liked it. In a tournament you can use intimidation and competitiveness to psych out your opponent; but in a public forum it comes off as a bit juvinille.

At least with Valve games, even if its short, it will be a quality game for a right price. Valve hasn't released games that wasn't worth the price.

They overcharged for L4D2, but later apologized.

When HL3 finally comes out, I will play it. But it certainly isn't something I dream about.

And I thought HL was a better game then HL2.

I'm still waiting for it patiently CUZ VALVE TIME. I'm not hyped about it though like I try to search for HL3 news everyday. Once I get the PR email though oh god.

Pretty sure HL3 will be pre-installed on the "Steam Box" around the release of PS4 and Xbox 720 just to guarantee high sales over other consoles :)

They couldn't have it pre-installed, as that would make the steambox rated M. Valve would loose SO much money on parents wanting to buy for their kids.

Wow, I never realized that HL and HL2 were both rated M. It feels like they should have gotten a teen rating - there isn't gratuitous gore, swearing, nudity, drug use.

By FPS standards it's a very clean game. It doesn't even have the "satanic" symbols of Doom or Quake.

seriously whats the point? If it's not a full Half Life 3 with source 2 engine I really dont care

I'm still looking forward to it, but I've been happy enough playing other games while I wait. Also (and maybe I haven't learned anything over the years) I'm not expecting a Duke Nukem Forever-type scenario where we wait 15 years and the game is a steaming pile when it comes out.

How long before HL3 earns the title of top vaporware title? After all,even DNF finally got released,though it might have been more merciful if it hadn't.

Wow, you brandish a lot of hatred for people who don't like what you like. I don't think it's fair to call anyone who doesn't like twitch shooters a 'noob'. I'm somewhat unique in this community in the fact that I didn't really enjoy HalfLife 2, but I'm not running around talking shit about people who liked it. In a tournament you can use intimidation and competitiveness to psych out your opponent; but in a public forum it comes off as a bit juvinille.

Calling someone a noob is not necessarily an insult. Certainly not more insulting than calling physically disabled person a cripple, black man a , water a wet substance, etc.

Half-Life 2 was meant for a fairly broad audience and it did succeed. I am fairly sure Valve wasn't aware of all the cool things people are capable of doing. Actually, Valve didn't like it and eventually "fixed" it. No one at id Software back then envisioned rocket jumping and they probably didn't like it either. At least they embraced it in their next games because some people did. Thing is, even with RJ there no one's experience was compromised but some people were very pleased. Valve did the opposite. Pissed on a small portion of people even though the larger audience wasn't affected in any way by the small one.

My initial point with Portal 2 was that Valve ruined a great game by introducing too much unnecessary "story" to it. Great gameplay doesn't need justification, damn it.

Wow, I never realized that HL and HL2 were both rated M. It feels like they should have gotten a teen rating - there isn't gratuitous gore, swearing, nudity, drug use.

By FPS standards it's a very clean game. It doesn't even have the "satanic" symbols of Doom or Quake.

People die pretty grotesquely in Half-Life. The M rating is pretty well deserved.

People die pretty grotesquely in Half-Life. The M rating is pretty well deserved.

The most grotesque deaths happen off-camera when scientists are pulled around corners and some unidentifiable fleshy chunks are spit back for the player to see. The death's in HL are cartoonish compared to games of today, and aren't much to speak of even compared to a contemporary game like Alien Vs. Predator (which was rated M), and are also far exceeded by the likes of earlier games like Mortal Kombat (also M).

I think there is a good chance that if the original Half-Life were released today it would get a teen rating.

The most grotesque deaths happen off-camera when scientists are pulled around corners and some unidentifiable fleshy chunks are spit back for the player to see. The death's in HL are cartoonish compared to games of today, and aren't much to speak of even compared to a contemporary game like Alien Vs. Predator (which was rated M), and are also far exceeded by the likes of earlier games like Mortal Kombat (also M).

I think there is a good chance that if the original Half-Life were released today it would get a teen rating.

Head-piercing tentacles and regurgitated gore are M worthy.

I am interested, but I doubt I will be as much as I had been. I'd hope they use a more modern engine though. The gameplay in Half Life is rather simple, so for the overall experience to be good it needs to have high production values.

I am interested, but I doubt I will be as much as I had been. I'd hope they use a more modern engine though. The gameplay in Half Life is rather simple, so for the overall experience to be good it needs to have high production values.

They wont, they can't piss off their loyal Linux fanbase. :D

i think i never finish ep1+ because i was waiting for the whole eps to be done

mq3egEhhj1-4.png

I'm still interested in playing it but it's not something I'm really keeping an eye on. Valve time and all... but when they do get ready to release it i'll definitely pick it up :p

I think Valve is keeping the HL3 rumor going as long as possible: if they ACTUALLY release it, then what? Interest in their ip goes down like crazy.

Yes I'm fully on board. The Half-Life games are special... although I never finished HL1 back in the day. For some reason I just played the first half of the game over and over and never even saw the alien planet/dimension.

I would love it!
I finished both HL and HL2. Great games.

I would even pay full price and preorder! Which I almost never do.

Of course I am.

I've played the whole GOTY boxed set of HL, HL2 and both episodes a zillion times, HL source............

need I say more.:D

I think Valve is keeping the HL3 rumor going as long as possible: if they ACTUALLY release it, then what? Interest in their ip goes down like crazy.

Everyone will want HL4. It's never ending. The Half-Life is strong!

Will play it for sure, but I definitely would not buy it day 1 or even at full price. Especially if they try to get away with using the dated Source engine. Hopefully it comes out on the Source 2 engine so it at least looks like it wasn't made 5+ years ago.

No offense but damn, why not justin beiber?

Robert Downey if you want to go mainstream. An unknown might be better.

Robert Downey is too irreverant for Gordon Freeman. For the non-talking hero of the HL series, it would have to be an actor who can still be sober enough in dialogue to not totally throw you off.

Freeman is Shia Labeouf
I'm not sure why Shia Labeouf is in HL, but I'm sure Gordon is a better actor than him. It could work. :p

Actually though, Clive Owen in Children of Men is pretty much my mental image of Gordon Freeman. Children of Men in general always reminded me a lot of Half-Life 2.

Back