Half-Life 3 / Episode 3. Are you even interested anymore?

He said something to that effect and two or so years ago. I think it's possible they're on something now, but it's surprising that theres been no leaks in this day and age that stuffs difficult to contain.

I read the same thing and got the same impression, which is very disappointing to be frank. How can there not be internal interest for HL? To me, the story is very interesting and I love the post-apocalyptic world they've built.

I finally got around to playing episode 2 for the first time ever. I played through HL2 and episode 1 several years back.

In general, most games bore me to some degree. All I can say is...WOW, episode 2 was completely awesome and had some really great ideas and fun missions. I am definitely interested in part 3.

He said something to that effect and two or so years ago. I think it's possible they're on something now, but it's surprising that theres been no leaks in this day and age that stuffs difficult to contain.

that would make sense in regards to a new game set in the Half Life universe but the fact that a lot was left open ended after Episode 2 makes it harder to believe...did they not have even a rough idea on how they wanted to wrap the series up?...was each 'Episode' a standalone story that had no real resolution and they were making it up as they went along?...or did Newell feel that other developers were stealing ideas from Half Life making Valve's story feel unoriginal?

that would make sense in regards to a new game set in the Half Life universe but the fact that a lot was left open ended after Episode 2 makes it harder to believe...did they not have even a rough idea on how they wanted to wrap the series up?...was each 'Episode' a standalone story that had no real resolution and they were making it up as they went along?...or did Newell feel that other developers were stealing ideas from Half Life making Valve's story feel unoriginal?

Right, the ending of Ep2 set up a lot of the next game naturally; of course there would be a lot of details to flesh out to keep it fresh and interesting. But Gabe's statements do make it sound like there wasn't much interest in it and it hadn't been scripted out much, which I've found odd. Especially since in the beginning they were shooting for 6 month releases; given the coding needed, I would have thought at the very beginning of that cycle most of the story would have been completed. And Ep2 still had some of the most emotional impact, to me, of any games I've played, except maybe some of the decisions you have to make in ME2/3.

Well keep in mind Gabe actually scraped HL2 atleast once during development. He admits to being very self-consciousness about HL. If HL3 made a billion dollars and was a critical and internal failure Gabe would kill himself. He'd rather it be the best game ever made and not make a cent then think that people were disappointed with it. He's kind of afraid of it. In response to not having a finished story but great ideas yep sorry whomever wrote HL2 doesn't know what they want to write or has left the company.

Right, the ending of Ep2 set up a lot of the next game naturally; of course there would be a lot of details to flesh out to keep it fresh and interesting. But Gabe's statements do make it sound like there wasn't much interest in it and it hadn't been scripted out much, which I've found odd. Especially since in the beginning they were shooting for 6 month releases; given the coding needed, I would have thought at the very beginning of that cycle most of the story would have been completed. And Ep2 still had some of the most emotional impact, to me, of any games I've played, except maybe some of the decisions you have to make in ME2/3.

exactly...the fact that they originally planned on releasing a new 'episode' every 6 months or so makes me believe that the story was already nailed down...I think the delay mostly has to do with Source 2...they are not going to use Source 1 for HL3 (or Episode 3)...I also think that a lot of developers started copying ideas from HL and that didn't make Newell happy and he started to change things (story wise)

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that Gabe intentionally misleads the public on certain subjects.

that would make sense in regards to a new game set in the Half Life universe but the fact that a lot was left open ended after Episode 2 makes it harder to believe...did they not have even a rough idea on how they wanted to wrap the series up?...was each 'Episode' a standalone story that had no real resolution and they were making it up as they went along?

That's my suspicion.

The gameplay in Half-Life 2 was fun, but the story was starting to feel like Lost. Endless twists and cliffhangers with no satisfactory resolution.

Eli must be avenged.....

I just want closure. Not a new engine, closure.... Gosh!

Well keep in mind Gabe actually scraped HL2 atleast once during development. He admits to being very self-consciousness about HL. If HL3 made a billion dollars and was a critical and internal failure Gabe would kill himself. He'd rather it be the best game ever made and not make a cent then think that people were disappointed with it. He's kind of afraid of it. In response to not having a finished story but great ideas yep sorry whomever wrote HL2 doesn't know what they want to write or has left the company.

I hope it's not becoming of a DNF situation where the developer won't accept anything but perfection and to get it they'll scrap anything less than the unrealistic aspirations of themselves and the internet.

And the minute the next HL comes up for preorder on Steam
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Valve has kind of turned into the Pixar of the games industry: they own tons of awesome IPs and they take their time making sure they don't just milk their cash cows until they dry up. I think once HL3 comes out, it will be A MAZE ING. so I'm happy waiting. Does everyone remember how long Perfect Dark N64 was delayed? No? That's because everyone remembers how great of a game it was, not the leadup to it's release. Years after HL3's probable release, we will completely forget how long it took to release.

i dont think i ever played all of episode 2 so no i dont care about episode 3

I don't think I could possibly give less of a shit than I currently do about Half-Life 3. I've moved on, it has been too long.

I would by it but I never was excited with Half-Life to begin with. HL was pretty good, HL2 was alright, Episode 1 was ok, Episode 2 was more like interactive movie. I imagine HL3 is going to be an actual movie.

Gabe did say they are working on a new engine, so at least it's going to have some nice graphics.

I am way more excited about Doom 4.

Always being one to buy a game well after its been released and gone on sale on Steam, I'll wait for HL3. I'm in no hurry. But sure, the prospect of another Half Life is exciting. I grew up with HL, so it's got a sweet spot in my heart.

At this point I've stopped holding my breath for it. There are other games to play in the meantime, and when it finally does come out it will be awesome.

Valve has a new game engine. They are just waiting on the right title to use it with.

As far as Half Life 3, I am sure they have created some content for it, but probably were not happy with the outcome. I imagine they don't want to release just another run of the mill FPS. They would like to breathe some fresh air into the genre.

I'm always excited to hear about new projects from Valve be it 2 or 10 years in the making.

I'm currently indifferent since it has been so long but when it's announced I'll be excited, I'll pre-order, and I'll expect Half-Life-themed hats in my TF2 inventory.

What would be great is if Valve dragged out the announcement with a super complicated ARG. The Portal 2 ARG was fun so I hope they do something like that again.

I'd buy it day one. Same goes for Tie Fighter. I really wish some one would just make a Star Conflict-esque game for Star Wars. I'd play that endlessly. While it does feel heretical to play a flight sim with a mouse and keyboard (I grew up with joysticks!!), I'd play it every day.

yes, im patiently waiting.

its been an integral part of my pc gaming history like many others, so its natural to still have that want.

No, because HL2 is a dull linear corridor shooter with a dullass plot and dullass weapons and enemies made for people who cried because Quake on easy was too hard.

Valve get away with an endless amount of shit. HL3 could be the biggest pile of shit ever and people would be afraid to speak out about it; everyone would close their eyes and suckle more peepee like they did with Portal 2/TF2/CS:GO. :p

I'm interested, though perhaps less passionate for it than I was back when I finished Ep. 2. The cliffhanger ending plus wanting some justice for the person who died at the end (trying to avoid spoilers for anyone who still hasn't played it) would have had me buying the next release the moment it became available. It's been a long time now, but I'm still looking forward to the next installment, nevertheless.

Nope, they may as well do a reboot at this point. Although I am surprised they did not try and rush it to be out this year, they could release it as part of a 15th anniversary tie in.

A reboot? Why? Also, why would they "rush" this to be out for a lame marketing reason?

I'm guessing that if they try to "tie up the story" it'll be very polarizing not unlike the finale of LOST... which I thought was really horrid. I've yet to play the the episodes after HL2 (which IMO was only OK) but if/when it comes out I might pick it up if it gets at least decent reviews and has a satisfying non-cliffhanger ending.

My biggest complaint with the games is that man in black character... ugh, he's so annoying and NOT mysterious or intriguing in any way. The way he talks... like his throat is clogged with spooge or somethin... just go away, please! I hated The Matrix for similar reasons... they all talk so retardedly like their words have meaning and depth but it's just a bunch of lame kiddy fail.

*goes to punch gman and morpheus in the face*

A reboot? Why? Also, why would they "rush" this to be out for a lame marketing reason?

I'm guessing that if they try to "tie up the story" it'll be very polarizing not unlike the finale of LOST... which I thought was really horrid. I've yet to play the the episodes after HL2 (which IMO was only OK) but if/when it comes out I might pick it up if it gets at least decent reviews and has a satisfying non-cliffhanger ending.

My biggest complaint with the games is that man in black character... ugh, he's so annoying and NOT mysterious or intriguing in any way. The way he talks... like his throat is clogged with spooge or somethin... just go away, please! I hated The Matrix for similar reasons... they all talk so retardedly like their words have meaning and depth but it's just a bunch of lame kiddy fail.

*goes to punch gman and morpheus in the face*

Gman was white....

I would prefer that they re-release HL2 (and the episodes) and fix the metric ton of bugs they made when they updated it in 2010, along with 3D support. I'd pay full price for that without hesitation.

No, because HL2 is a dull linear corridor shooter with a dullass plot and dullass weapons and enemies made for people who cried because Quake on easy was too hard.

Valve get away with an endless amount of shit. HL3 could be the biggest pile of shit ever and people would be afraid to speak out about it; everyone would close their eyes and suckle more peepee like they did with Portal 2/TF2/CS:GO. :p

What was wrong with portal2? TF2, he'll even the last CS game wasn't that bad...

What was wrong with portal2? TF2, he'll even the last CS game wasn't that bad...

Portal 2 was dull, easy and very short (seriously, BF3s single player was longer...and more varied and challenging). Yet sold at full retail price (that fan made expansion to Portal was 10000x better...and free) along with a scam "buy games to make us release it early" scheme.

TF2 is a dull arena shooter, played by (annoying) casuals in excruciating slow motion with boring everything and looks like some children's show complete with annoying characters. It's level design is terrible, and it's classes/gameplay are imbalanced, dated and boring.

CoD:GO was another iteration of the previously free mod, complete with retro graphics and no improvements and several anti improvements. All of the maps were just "redone" old maps with ugly graphics and on that junky 10 year+ old engine. There was virtually no point to this (other than a console release?) yet it was another premium title.

So lots of great content.

Expect more of this "quality" from HL3. :D

Can't please everybody, I guess. If I may ask, what games do you LIKE?

Can't please everybody, I guess. If I may ask, what games do you LIKE?

Generally people don't like 3 hour games, free mods sold for $50 and scams, but YMMV . :p (seriously if Activision/Ubisoft/EA had released any of those, you would still be hearing about it, but as it's Valve they just get "the usual")

I think the problem I had with slow dull crap like TF2 is I like faster "skillful" arena games like UT/Q3a, and that's what I'm "used" to.. But then again I guess I'm not the target audience for Valves titles.

So you like Q3-A?? Any others?

Edit: Sorry, I don't really have ulterior motives, I really want to know what sort of games are appealing to people with different tastes to my own, and why they like them. It's interesting, and it helps me practice the forgotten technique of being reasonable when others say bad things about stuff I like. That and I loved UT99 and 2k4z

Yup. I hated Portal 2 so much for all the right reasons and every noob out there, including the noobish press, gave it blow jobs. TALKING IN GAMES IS FUCKING WRONG. I don't remember turning the sound off in any other game. Useless noise, useless walking just to make it longer. FU valve

For me, portal 2's story was enthralling. Would not have been the same game without it. If you want pure action, no story: play UT99: it was awesome and required no plot knowledge, yet it had a very distinctive progression throughout the single-player tournament. I would not play portal for the same sensation.

i would like to finish the damn thing where ep2 left us... dunno wtf they are doing so many years :(

Back