Half Life 2 Benchmarks @ HardOCP.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
pxc said:
The FRAPS graphs has an average fps listed, but often the cards are running at different resolutions. Some reviews had apples to apples benchmarks, but not always.
The drop down menu is your friend. :)

On my work horse PC thats a P3E 650mhz on a 440BX mobo w/ 768mb pc100 ram cas2 and a AWE32 soundcard and a 32mb GF2 MX/400 its playing Half-Life 2 and it looks good for what it is!!!

:D :eek: :D

800x600 medium detail its playable ;)

RAutrey said:
When has marketing ever been truely representative of the end product in the graphics department? Tons of salt must be applied.

Don't forget the beer too...

After tweaking my BIOS setting and OCing my 5700 Ultra GDDR3 on an Athlon XP 3200+ with the 67.02 drivers, I am play at 10x8 at 2xAA and it looks GREAT. 256 as the AGP apature size on a box with 1 gig of RAM, plus tweaking some latency timings removed all the jiggies.

Kyle, one thing Inotices was a HUGE difference when I plugged in my Audigy as to when I was using the on board Soundstorm fo my Audio. Of all the things I did with my "legacy" box, that turned out to have the greatest effect on gameplay, giving better syncing to the spoken word and no hitches when a sound-intensive event occured. While CPU scaling is important, I was shocked at how adding the sound card made such a huge change, especially in regards to such a well performing on board solution.

All together I am VERY happy with HL2. For a box that only Auquamark 2's in the 35000 range, this game is just running smooth, and am of the opinion that NVidia will have some nice things in furture driver releases.

OK, back to work...damn....

Netrat33 said:
....*smack!* It's there! are you kidding me! the only thing it doesn't do is the "look into the light and look away and things are darker for a second"

*slap back* if you read the previous line, I dont have the game yet. I'm simply asking a question. :D

Now, is this for Nvidia and ATI based cards or only Nvidia?

obs said:
Great benchmark guys. As expected, the PR benchmarks don't really seem to be true. Looks like the 6800GT and X800 Pro are pretty close once again. As far as DH goes...well the charts are pretty.

When have PR charts ever been true?

NEODARK said:
*slap back* if you read the previous line, I dont have the game yet. I'm simply asking a question. :D

Now, is this for Nvidia and ATI based cards or only Nvidia?

*rubbing cheek*

both cards. This is directx's version of HDR

Thanks for the great review. I'm going to buy a 6600 GT this week to play Half-Life 2...this 32MB TNT2 just doesn't cut it.

For those curious; yes, it runs the game with some mouse lag. :D

mmx said:
Thanks for the great review. I'm going to buy a 6600 GT this week to play Half-Life 2...this 32MB TNT2 just doesn't cut it.

For those curious; yes, it runs the game with some mouse lag. :D

Thats funny :rolleyes:

I am going to pick up my copy today (payday :)). I have a PE and my wife has a 6800U. I can't wait to do some real-life comparing.

Great review Kyle!!!

Valve has placed the multiplayer success of Half Life 2 firmly on the shoulders of Counter Strike:Source and at this point it looks as though Counter Strike:Source is going to be a terrible “failure” for so many of us that once truly loved playing the game. We guess as long as tons of cash is made by Valve, they will see their toils as a success.

Testify!

It is rare that a FPS/Hardware community spokesman, in such a position of community and commercial influence takes a stand against the flow and cuts through the crap like a ginsu through butter. Thanks for not giving CS/HL2 the !!!99%!!! that all the reviews are unjustly giving it. Have reviewers forgotten about the multiplayer component of games?

Was it just a year ago that a FPS with an awesome single player experience would only receive 65% because of poor multiplayer? Well don't buy the hipe kids. Half Life 2 may be pretty, but it's no gem as this stage. In a year from now the 100000 CS1 players playing right now will only judge Half Life 2 based on multiplayer, it will have divided the CS1 players from the CSS players, segmenting the solid player base, and you may see a mass defection to other games such as BF1942/BFV/BF2.

Lets talk straight here. Valve KILLED TF1. They bought it up, right under the feet of the most loyal FPS community at the time. A massive thriving mod/competition community that they jerked around for years until finally releasing TF Classic?!?!?!!? Where is our promised TF2? Forget that, we don't really care anymore. I just think it's sad to see the same thing happening to the millions of CS players. All I can say is, it happened to us ol TFers, and it hurt. Don't be fooled by Valve, they're in it for the buck and when it gets down to the bottom line, your beloved community don't mean sh#@#T to them.

-Oatz

Dithium said:
I would like to see this test with a 9800 Pro 256. Can we also see a test with an Athlon 3200+. I haven't made the jump to 64 bit yet so until an OS supports it I don't see the point.

I'm running it on an ATI 9800XT-256 & AMD Barton 3200+ w/ 1GB pc3200 and it runs great @ 1024x768 with everything set to High. Haven't turned on any anti-aliasing though.

hrm, the 6XAA option in HL2 on the 6800Ultra isn't doing anything

i wonder if AA will work forced from the CP...

Brent_Justice said:

Same with CS:S and yeah it works if forced from rivatuner.

It takes a big hit since it's 4xMS + 2x1SS. But since that's the only 6xAA it has...

Brent, have you tried to enable +r_fastzreject 1 on the X800 cards? Its on by default for NV cards, off for ATi cards. In a future version of the game it is supposed to be on for both.

fallguy said:
Brent, have you tried to enable +r_fastzreject 1 on the X800 cards? Its on by default for NV cards, off for ATi cards. In a future version of the game it is supposed to be one for both.

i did not toggle that command

i wanted to bench an "out of box" experience

Could you perhaps test it just out of curiosity sake? Word is there is a slight drop in CPU intensive levels, but a gain in graphic limited levels.

Gee, ATI lied about having a HL2 performance advantage over nVidia. Go figure. :rolleyes:

As usual, it is too close to call, and varies depending on what kind of demo you run. 6800 GT is still better than the x800 Pro, but by very little if you crank up the AA/AF, and the Ultra and XT-PE take turns at 1st and 2nd place.

And this is DX9, where ATI supposedly "pwn5 j00! nv1d1075!" :D

fallguy said:
Could you perhaps test it just out of curiosity sake? Word is there is a slight drop in CPU intensive levels, but a gain in graphic limited levels.

sure, give me some time, i'm doing some other tests right now first...

burningrave101 said:
Interesting numbers there. H and AT agree on the X800Pro Vs GT basically, but differ on XTPE Vs Ultra.... They give every wind to the XTPE.

They prove our guess on the X700 and 6600GT as being even...

Ouch, but this was to be expected, "To give you a little preview of what is to come, in DirectX 9 mode, the GeForce 5900 Ultra offers about 1/3 of the performance of the slowest card in this test. If you’re unfortunate enough to have purchased a NV3x based graphics card, you’re out of luck with running Half Life 2 using the DX9 codepath (at any reasonable frame rates). "

Apple740 said:
So why did you post overclocked 6800 results vs default Ati clocks? :confused:

Read the thread possibly? This was asked and answered already... Neither card is OC'd in the true sense of the word... The NVidia cards are BFGs which come OC'd and verified from the factory, technically the ATI card was an XT-PE which isn't even available at retail anymore and was replaced by the lower clocked plain XT.

Thanks to Valve nVidia only had a couple of days to test HL2 and get out a new driver set so most likely with a little time nVidia will produce even better performance.

Apple740 said:

The OC's on BFG are stock outa box overclocks

there stock by the manufacture

Apple740 said:
Those cards are at stock clocks out of the box and the best selling 6800 cards in North America.

Apple740 said:

The XTPE is basically an overclocked XT anyways...not to mention the OC versions are retail shipping cards that are overclocked by the manufacturer and they are the most popular versions of the GT and Ultra...

Brent is teh ultra best!!!111

These should shut fans boys up... hopefully they'll realize that just because something wins in a few FPS doesn't mean it is "better".

HOPEFULLY... someday we won't have to see video card maker's penis' in software makers mouths... but, alas, I for see no blizzard in the Inferno...

Brent_Justice said:

*cough* 6800Ultra SLI 8xaa *cough*...

Whats up Kyle, Brent.

Regardless of the FPS wars and debates, just want to say I am loving this game. I am doing lots of "testing" of it at work the past two days.

Just a note, the game is very CPU bound in many areas. So of course you want the best CPU you can get for this game guys.

Heh, a lot closer than valve indicated, but I doubt anyone would be dissapointed with either of the high end offerings.

CATALYST MAKER said:
Whats up Kyle, Brent.

Regardless of the FPS wars and debates, just want to say I am loving this game. I am doing lots of "testing" of it at work the past two days.

Just a note, the game is very CPU bound in many areas. So of course you want the best CPU you can get for this game guys.
I think a 2.4GHz Athlon FX is good enough especially when the demos are done mostly in outside areas, many of them taking into account water shaders.

Here are the demos if you would like to run them for yourself.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=5857

And good to see you hanging in here CM! You are very much welcome here.

Thanks [H] for the great work done on the benchmarks. It's nice to see some unbias data. It's also nice to know that my $500 on an Ultra wasn't a bad purchase (according to Valve and DH). Realistically, how many of us really believed that Half-Life 2 would run 40% faster on ATi cards? Both the X800 series and the 6800 series are great cards and should be pretty close to each other when it comes to benchmarks.

SuX0rz said:
Thanks [H] for the great work done on the benchmarks. It's nice to see some unbias data. It's also nice to know that my $500 on an Ultra wasn't a bad purchase (according to Valve and DH). Realistically, how many of us really believed that Half-Life 2 would run 40% faster on ATi cards? Both the X800 series and the 6800 series are great cards and should be pretty close to each other when it comes to benchmarks.
I am sure NVIDIA is very glad that this game did not launch a year ago. I have heard many of a conspiracy theory about NVIDIA being the bad guy in the HL2 hacking incident last year. Of course that is BS, but it makes for good story. Surprised we never saw that on the Inqwell.

SuX0rz said:
Realistically, how many of us really believed that Half-Life 2 would run 40% faster on ATi cards? .

I did. And I still do. But I guess some would call me biased :)

I wont get into it in here though. Just wanted to pop in and say I love this game.

At home I am using a 9800XT and at work I just popped in a X800 PCI-E board.

I wonder if we could get a poll as to what settings people are playing this game with? Im curious how much everyone is cranking it.

I loved your Doom3 benchmarks - in which you covered the whole range of graphics chipsets from GeForce3 up. I'd like to think I'm not the only person who doesn't have a FX6800 Ultra or ATi equivalent ((I have a FX5950 Ultra)) so can we see benchmarks that reflect the fact most people won't be using 64bit processors with 2gigs of ram and a £450 graphics card? Please? :D

Brent_Justice said:
Yeah, awesome that you are here CM

And don't laugh too hard at my gameplaying guys, hadn't completely gotten use to HL2 yet ;), made a few mistakes, (as any gamer could) in Coast with the buggy as you will see :D

It is definitely real world gameplay at its finest :D

Brent! Jesus Christ! I could drive that buggy better with my mouse duct tape to ma pen-15! ;) j/k

Thanks for getting these benches up for the public so fast! teh [H] is teh ultra best!!111

CDog said:
I loved your Doom3 benchmarks - in which you covered the whole range of graphics chipsets from GeForce3 up. I'd like to think I'm not the only person who doesn't have a FX6800 Ultra or ATi equivalent ((I have a FX5950 Ultra)) so can we see benchmarks that reflect the fact most people won't be using 64bit processors with 2gigs of ram and a £450 graphics card? Please? :D
Give me 2 weeks of work time in the last 24 hours and you have that the day after the game launches. :)

We asked Valve to let us do a hardware guide for HL2, but they declined. Last year, they seemed pretty up on it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back