Half Life 2 Benchmarks @ HardOCP.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the props guys. I think enough comment has been given on Driver Heaven though. No sense beating a dead horse.

I think I'd still like to see another updated "Maxed out" benchmark

It was neet to see how doom3 faired at ultra settings with AA and all the bells and whistles on and what was "playable" (just incase the quotes is only for peoples opinion)

For HL2 I think it would be nice to see x6 AA and x16Af with all it's bells and whistles on.
Just kind of...weird not to see both cards max settings and suddenly do JUST an apples to apples comparison.

ALSO...what happened to checking for dots/shimmering and stuff like that :)
That's also what I was hoping to see in the review

Netrat33 said:

It was neet to see how doom3 faired at ultra settings with AA and all the bells and whistles on and what was "playable" (just incase the quotes is only for peoples opinion)

For HL2 I think it would be nice to see x6 AA and x16Af with all it's bells and whistles on.
Just kind of...weird not to see both cards max settings and suddenly do JUST an apples to apples comparison.
Don't forget that the 6800 series cannot do x6 due to a bug (6x = actual 0x). 8x would be more realistic, if it is doable.

MechWarrior said:
While I dont like apples-to-apples, props again to the [H]

I found a typo!

"b...ut in this constant world of “very aggressive” vide card marketing, we felt..."
Thanks for the heads up, that is now corrected. :)

Xilikon said:
Don't forget that the 6800 series cannot do x6 due to a bug (6x = actual 0x). 8x would be more realistic, if it is doable.

either way :)

Can you imagine the kind of money nVidia and ATi are reeling in?
First, the doom3 wave... people were buying their cards for $600 and they still can't keep up with the demand...
Now HL2...
And soon Stalker....
Should've invested.

Netrat33 said:

ALSO...what happened to checking for dots/shimmering and stuff like that :)
That's also what I was hoping to see in the review
AF and AA levels were the only things not "maxed out". I think pretty much anyone can make an itelligent call about HL2 specific speed from what is posted.

The game has only been out for a day, so our options for variations are limited.

As noted, this review was about speed and nothing else. That said, we have seen nothing really to report, besides some of the odd dots and lines that are present in other games on all hardware.

I like what the other guy wrote... how about benchies on a P4 3.0 and 3200+ barton?

krizzle said:
Can you imagine the kind of money nVidia and ATi are reeling in?
First, the doom3 wave... people were buying their cards for $600 and they still can't keep up with the demand...
Now HL2...
And soon Stalker....
Should've invested.

:D I was thinking the same thing. I laughed when people were selling the X800 cards for 6800 cards to play DOOM3. I ran great on both cards.... I bet some dumb a$$es are selling their 6800 cards they bought for DOOM3 to buy a X800 card for HL2. :rolleyes:

Like you I might need to buy some stock from both companies. Earnings should be great.

Anyone want to go over to Driverheaven and reply Zardon or whatever his name is comment where he says "if any site doesn't show ATI blowing away nvidia in this game I'd like to see you post it here" or something to that effect? :D

DH just ripping of ati pr slides that are completely off base... so sad.

it would be nice to see some benchmarks in the future in hl2 using older hardware. i would like to see how my 9800 does against the 6800 and x800.

tranCendenZ said:
Anyone want to go over to Driverheaven and reply Zardon or whatever his name is comment where he says "if any site doesn't show ATI blowing away nvidia in this game I'd like to see you post it here" or something to that effect? :D

DH just ripping of ati pr slides that are completely off base... so sad.

he closed the thread

[RIP]Zeus said:
Ok we will play nice with dh :D
Well you don't have to be NICE, but let's let the ugliness end and get back on topic. :cool:

Thanks for getting us some results we can believe in so quickly after the game's release. Personally I figured I had the bases covered since I have a 6800U and a XT-PE, but seeing how much there really isn't between them, I may go ahead and sell one now. :)

Thanks again for the work on the information Brent and Kyle !!

I also would like to suggest that the flame wars end between ati vs nvidia. we can honestly conclude that anyone that owns a current card is a winner in todays gamming :D

I wish benchmarks from the FX5900 series and 9800 seris would have been included since the whole issue with the leak benchmarks last year

coz said:
Many thanks to Brent for his hard work getting this article done in such a short space of time.

now it's time to quit worrying about who is faster and just PLAY!! :)

No Problem

Here Here! ;)

purefun65 said:
I also would like to suggest that the flame wars end between ati vs nvidia. we can honestly conclude that anyone that owns a current card is a winner in todays gamming :D

I think everyone was waiting for all the games to drop so that they could declare their card the winner. Well, as it turns out, ATI and Nvidia each took one of the top titles in the $500 range, and things look pretty much even in the $400 range.

I'll be interested in seeing SM3.0 added to the Source engine, but we'll have to wait until ATI's new part is available for that to happen.

One other question: Valve made a big deal about HDR in the Source engine. Where the hell is it? I haven't seen any auto exposure, and bright lights don't look that different.

burningrave101 said:
"DOOM 3 has been trounced publicly for its limited multiplayer capabilities, and we have yet to see the community response to Half Life 2 having no multiplier abilities at all."

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjkxLDI=

Done any CPU reviews lately kyle? :)
Hehe, yeah, I need some sleep too, and your damn corrections to our spelling and grammar are keeping me up. Seriously, thanks. I would much rather you point out our errors so we can fix them, instead of looking stoopid ALL day long. ;)

purefun65 said:
Well hell, we might just as well close the Video Card forum then.....

Kyle and/or Brent,

Thank you for quick article. I appreciate your efforts and imagine that you worked your ass off to get it to us quick.

Would it be possible for you to make your timedemos available? It would be great to have timedemos that we could use to compare to your results (and to have consistant ones for all of us to compare to each other).

Thanks!

tranCendenZ said:
Out of curiousity, was vsync on or off for this benchmark?
We would never benchmark with Vsync on, especially for avg FPS.

Yeah, I'd like to have the TimeDemos as well (even though I won't get my copy until later today) it would be great if you guys made them available to us.

Also, whats up with HDR? FarCry was awesome with it, what's the deal in HalfLife2. Was this scraped because it's an NVIDIA only kind of deal and HL2 is ATI funded?

As always, great benchmarks guys!

I'm playing this game, and I do mean "playing", at 1600x1200 with everything maxed out using 6xAA and 16xAF and the only real hitches I've seen was when I threw a grenade into a stack of boxes... :p

NEODARK said:
Also, whats up with HDR? FarCry was awesome with it, what's the deal in HalfLife2. Was this scraped because it's an NVIDIA only kind of deal and HL2 is ATI funded?

....*smack!* It's there! are you kidding me! the only thing it doesn't do is the "look into the light and look away and things are darker for a second"

Cali3350 said:
Excellent work as usual. Ive been playing 1280*1024 4xaa 8xAF High Quality on my 6800GT all day and can tell you it is smooth. O so very sweet smooth. Frankly im amazed at the quality this card is pushing at these frames. Kudos to Valve on their engine, it works very well.

Also, the 67.02 drivers fix the very, VERY annoying shimmering issue on all 6800GT cards with AF enabled. Its worth picking them up just for that.

Sweet, I saw a comment about LOD bias on the Release Highlights for them and remembered this was related to the shimmering issue. Anyone else got comments on the performance of these drivers w/HL2 or in general?

I'd like to see some CPU scaling tests done as well, maybe once you go more in-depth and explore stuff like IQ, etc. Oh and seriously consider releasing the timedemos! It'd be great if the community could get a better quasi-standard for benchmarking than the possibly flawed (or PR injected) Stress Test.

Maybe you could do it once a number of other sites publish their results so as not to influence them by having them using your timedemo (broader methods of testing possibly bearing out any issues and whatnot).

P.S. Great job on the quick benchmarks by the way.

I like this benchmark review. :cool: It's very easy to read and the relative performance is crystal clear.

It would make all the reviews better if you guys can add even just a single page like this with apples-to-apples average fps performance to the other video card reviews.

tranCendenZ said:
thx :) figured so using common sense, just verifying, as a member from another forum was very sure you had vsync on (despite that being near impossible with the numbers you got) :)
I don't see how anyone with any understanding about Vsync would state that Vsync was on, but do rest assured, we do not benchmark with Vsync on. Although I do play with it on in some games. Would make for some interesting real-world evals now that I think about it. Hmmm... Thanks for the idea. ;)

spyderz said:
I was waiting for an un bias benchmark and you guys delivered thanks, i was looking at the benchmark from ati and thought something was wrong, by the way driverheaven has the same benchmark with the same slides and all but claim it was done by them and they swear this is doom3 in reverse due to ati's superioir shaders, i just thought it was kinda of funny, i'm guessing they won't like you benchmark

I agree! Thanks to all of the time and effort, I feel a lot better about my 6800GT card. This PR war among video card manufacturers really needs to stop, because it's annoying. Doom 3 plays a little better on nVidia 6 series cards, and HL2 plays a little better on ATI cards when all the features on turned on. Who cares? At these frame rates that all of the modern cards achieve, I honestly don't care which video card is going to get 5 fps higher than the other. I still havn't gotten HL2 yet, but I have no time for gaming at this time. Since I don't have the time to play it right now, might as well wait since the price will probably go down $5-10 in the next several months.

pxc said:
I like this benchmark review. :cool: It's very easy to read and the relative performance is crystal clear.

It would make all the reviews better if you guys can add even just a single page like this with apples-to-apples average fps performance to the other video card reviews.
Uh, we have been doing that for almost a year......

pxc said:
Erm, isn't that *exactly* what HardOCP does in their video card reviews? :confused:

Apples to apples is usually at the end of the articles, unless you skim past it, damn skimmers! Think it was there on all the latest ones though...

burningrave101 said:
Hmm, TechLounge apparently used ATI's timedemos and they declare, "As expected, the X800 XT reigned supreme in our testing.." Ya think?

Looking at AMD Zone, the comparisons are done at too low a resolution for video card testing, at least for my taste except on the older cards. It would have been nice to see some newer cards since that is what folks are buying now days. The last ATI driver release did not have much FPS impact as I think ATI has had code drops on a regular basis to keep their drivers tweaked out. Kudos to the Zone for using their own custom timedemo and not getting sucked into the ATI press vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back