H55N-USB3

U238Shell

n00b
Gigabyte has released a press release and it's on their website. Should be in stores very soon. :D

Gigabyte advertises it as a overclockable board. It'll be interesting to see what capabilities it has.
Gigabyte page

Finaly a gigbyte m-itx, they have the best bioses for undervolting. normaly they go down to 0,5V. so for a cool i3 system this should be perfect.

but they allso has a stupid board layout limiting cooling options

Yep, you're completely right.

Especially this one, the socket is about a centimeter from the PCIe slot. =/

Kind of disappointed in Gigabyte. There is no reason to put the CPU socket on that side. It only serves to limit you.

While i'm not 100% sure, I believe the companies kind of work off the same basic model and just customize it to their own specs...kind of like the Qpack, Micro Fly, etc where all the same body customized for the specific company.

This really limits those going to mini itx and is a huge setback.

Yea H50 would fit as would any water cooling system. I don't see why Gigabyte would design an ITX board to hold a big honking air cooler. It's an ITX board meant to utilize the onchip GPU not an i7 gaming rig. Most SFF boards also go into SFF cases again no room or reason to design for giant tower 'o heatpipes in my ITX case. And most companies do design off of a reference design. They probably used the intel reference cooler in their design looks like that would fit.

Shouldn't any SFF Gaming rig should be on water if nothing else for packaging and heat dissipation?

I find the H50 too loud. It's 'quiet' but there's a tiny little buzzing sound that annoys the hell outa me.

I think the U9B just MIGHT fit. Guess we won't know till someone gets the thing.

If it's reference (and it looks like it is), just see what people are putting on the couple other H5x mITX boards out there.

HMM... seeing as I just won an i5 750 CPU at a local LAN party... This board is looking reallly reallly nice... :)

Finaly a gigbyte m-itx, they have the best bioses for undervolting. normaly they go down to 0,5V. so for a cool i3 system this should be perfect.

but they allso has a stupid board layout limiting cooling options

Very true. What's the point of having the cpu so close to the pci e slot? Most sff cases need low profile heatsinks that are designed to spread horizontally instead of a vertical tower of fins.I think gigabyte designed the board based on the stock coolers from intel without much thought for individuals wanting a silent passive heatsink.

There are already threads in this forum (on the first page) that discuss what coolers will probably work. Some of them are rather large. Since this is a reference design, cooler manufacturers will probably start making more offset coolers that will work perfectly fine on H55 boards. The socket placement is more convenient for SATA ports, I imagine, as it won't be crammed between the PCI-e slot and the CPU socket where it'd be damn near impossible to get to with one of those large aftermarket coolers attached.

The people who designed this board must have some birth defect or something. I was going to give up my SG07 overclocked dream computer since all the 1156 mitx boards are getting a lot of negative reviews. This was the perfect board to overclock with in an SG07, but that CPU socket is just a kick in the groin. I feel like suffocating the engineers of this board with a pillow.

I guess our last hope is Asus.

Or maybe silverstone or coolermaster will start uilding heatsinks for this form factor

The people who designed this board must have some birth defect or something. I was going to give up my SG07 overclocked dream computer since all the 1156 mitx boards are getting a lot of negative reviews. This was the perfect board to overclock with in an SG07, but that CPU socket is just a kick in the groin. I feel like suffocating the engineers of this board with a pillow.

I guess our last hope is Asus.

I'm quite sure like what mrmylanman had pointed out that there are still a number of options for heatsinks that will fit this board without sacrificing the pci-e slot.

well if you are going to use the sg07, you could probably fit a small footprint tower heatsink like the ocz vendetta or something similar since the height clearance for this case is much higher than the sg05. the top mounted "penetrator" fan might be sufficient to cool the heat sink passively.

What happen to Displayport? I thought that is next big thing in monitor connection.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1520663

For example. I remember seeing a few more threads mention coolers.

You guys who are complaining so much need to bear in mind THESE BOARDS ARE BRAND NEW. Every H5x board has the same layout. If you don't like it, then get the DFI mini LanParty P55 board. Or get the H55 and don't use a video card.

Point is:

Living life on the bleeding edge is going to have consequences.

No, the problem is that the DFI board is a bitch to get a hold of in different countries...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1520663

For example. I remember seeing a few more threads mention coolers.

You guys who are complaining so much need to bear in mind THESE BOARDS ARE BRAND NEW. Every H5x board has the same layout. If you don't like it, then get the DFI mini LanParty P55 board. Or get the H55 and don't use a video card.

Point is:

Living life on the bleeding edge is going to have consequences.

Those consequence do not include having the CPU socket switched with the northbridge causing heatsink limitations. Im no engineer but Im willing to bet Gigabyte could have had the CPU socket in its normal location if it wanted to.

Gigabyte was either just trying to piss us off or refrain from creating the perfect motherboard. Seriously, this would have been the perfect 1156 mini-itx motherboard. Its fully overclockable unlike the other 1156 mini-itx motherboards out and no other manufacturer I know of is working on one.

Its almost as if Gigabyte was aware of it being the perfect 1156 mini-itx motherboard, and to avoid dominating the competition, purposely moved the CPU socket right next to the PCI-E slot. Im only kidding, but seriously, it makes no sense.

That Prolimatech heatsink does look good though. Ill be waiting for some reviews of that. And as for the DFI board, it seems to be getting some bad reviews. Bad BIOS and very limited overclocking capabilities.

I'm quite sure like what mrmylanman had pointed out that there are still a number of options for heatsinks that will fit this board without sacrificing the pci-e slot.

well if you are going to use the sg07, you could probably fit a small footprint tower heatsink like the ocz vendetta or something similar since the height clearance for this case is much higher than the sg05. the top mounted "penetrator" fan might be sufficient to cool the heat sink passively.

I thought about that, but Im doubting the fans ability to cool a tower heatsink from above. Nothings going to be moving heat from the fins. And adding a fan on the heatsink might just cause inefficient airflow. A low profile heatsink seems to be a better choice. Im in the process of looking for a mid profile heatsink, if theres such thing.

Those consequence do not include having the CPU socket switched with the northbridge causing heatsink limitations. Im no engineer but Im willing to bet Gigabyte could have had the CPU socket in its normal location if it wanted to.

Gigabyte was either just trying to piss us off or refrain from creating the perfect motherboard. Seriously, this would have been the perfect 1156 mini-itx motherboard. Its fully overclockable unlike the other 1156 mini-itx motherboards out and no other manufacturer I know of is working on one.

Its almost as if Gigabyte was aware of it being the perfect 1156 mini-itx motherboard, and to avoid dominating the competition, purposely moved the CPU socket right next to the PCI-E slot. Im only kidding, but seriously, it makes no sense.

That Prolimatech heatsink does look good though. Ill be waiting for some reviews of that. And as for the DFI board, it seems to be getting some bad reviews. Bad BIOS and very limited overclocking capabilities.

You guys keep saying it's Gigabyte but it's not. I don't like Gigabyte by any stretch (I have never bought one of their products because everyone I know who did had a bad experience with their boards) but it's not Gigabyte every H55 and H57 board is like that.

While I do believe that the socket placement is flawed, I also think that people have slightly unrealistic expectations of mitx. As a result of the size of a mitx board the number of power phases are severely limited. Therefore, to run an overclocked quad at this point in time is extremely risky imo and likely to kill the mobo. Mitx should mature come sandy bridge when the power consumption of quads comes down.

there is a review on barebonecenter.de, german but of course you could translate. i5-750 400mhz overclocked. Problem with three pin cpu fan (on full speed) and as said here before, only space for the standard cooler. And a bit slow usb2 speeds. Wonder how far you could oc an i5-661? cheap though, around 90 euro's.

7samurai, where is that price listed? Could someone buy it? I've been looking everywhere since release.

LinusTechTips has 3 videos on the H55-USB3 if anyone's interested.

Edit: Ah, I see now. Price is on review.

For those of you who are interested, I found this board in stock at NCIXUS. It was a little more expensive($112) than what I was hoping for, but inline with the other mini ITX boards.

You may need to search the website for "GA-H55N-USB3" using the search function for the board to come up. However, it does say it's in stock.

Pacer5000

Last edited:
I have the DFI board. It's pretty damn nice.

i'm so excited. I purchased one today (09/6/10) when it hit the shops in NZ.
I sent it home (currently at uni) so yay! All I have to endure are the 3 exams coming up and then BUILD BUILD BUILD!

i'm so excited. I purchased one today (09/6/10) when it hit the shops in NZ.
I sent it home (currently at uni) so yay! All I have to endure are the 3 exams coming up and then BUILD BUILD BUILD!

Same here, I can't wait until this gets in. Although, i'm also still waiting for the pc-q08B to be in stock. It's not available anywhere at the moment. I guess until I get a case, no building :(

This is just great, voltage options CPU 0,5 - 1,9 V this finaly gives room for some proper undervolting. I wonder how low U can go with a Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz, can even uderklock it a little, super cool HTPC :)

Wow.. Yea it must be Gigabyte when EVERY MANUFACTURER is doing it. Look at the h57/h55 selection on newegg (not just mITX) & you will see that in almost all the boards the CPU socket is closer to the PCIe slot then the top of the board. Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe its a more efficient board design when integrating the combined north/south bridge. Bottom line is if you want a Gaming Motherboard the p55 is a better chipset since it doesn't have on board graphics. So if you want to bitch about something bitch about nobody but DFI making a p55 mITX.

Any retailer that are US based and reputable that are selling this board yet? From ncixus it is like $130 shipped.

can anyone who has this board comment on if this board has a RS232 (serial) com port header on the board, just like the intel mini-itx boards?

I checked out the manual and i did not see anything on there mentioning a serial port.

Hi, just a question, will the following ram be suitable for this motherboard paired with an i5 750? And will there be any issues that you can think of?
Kingston Valueram 4gb 1333mhz Ddr3 Non-ecc Cl9 Dimm (kit Of 2)
General Information
Brand Name: Kingston
Manufacturer Part Number: KVR1333D3N9K2/4G
Product Name: ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module
Memory
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Memory Size: 4 GB
Memory Speed: 1333 MHz
Memory Standard: DDR3-1333/PC3-10667
Memory Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
Signal Processing: Unbuffered
Miscellaneous
Compatibility:
Intel Motherboard:

DX38BT
DX48BT2
Physical Characteristics
Form Factor: 240-pin DIMM
Product Information
Compatibility:
Intel Motherboard:

DX38BT
DX48BT2
System Specification
Technical Information
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Memory Size: 4 GB
Memory Speed: 1333 MHz
Memory Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
Number Of Modules: 2 X 2 GB
Signal Processing: Unbuffered

Are the speeds appropriate? I see some that say the ram is Cl9/Cl8? I think this one is CL9 and that makes no sense to me.
And timings. I read around that some people have x-x-x-x timing and that again, makes no sense to me.

Forgive me, I'm new to building PCs.

I just ordered mine from excaliburpc. This will be paired with my i7 860, 5770 Vapor X, 2x2 Ripjaws, H50, SG06, Silverstone ST45SF SFX PSU, and Slim Line Blu-Ray drive. I can't wait for it to get here!

I just ordered mine from excaliburpc. This will be paired with my i7 860, 5770 Vapor X, 2x2 Ripjaws, H50, SG06, Silverstone ST45SF SFX PSU, and Slim Line Blu-Ray drive. I can't wait for it to get here!

With a 5770 you should be OK with the original PSU.

Not with any sort of overclock on the CPU. Over at xtremesystems people have gotten a 875k to 4.1 GHZ prime stable on this board. I want all the headroom I can get.

Back