H55 / H57 mITX boards: post them here

How is it unusable?
How is it dangerously close?

your GPU fans and such are on the bottom of the card facing away from the cpu.... plenty of room for any card pending on your case.

I think he means there will be compatibility problems with CPU heatsinks. Large aftermarket coolers are going to need more space then that.

I was reading the processor compatibility list for the DH57JG.
And i was surprised that they dont mention any Quad Core i5 cpu's?

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DH57JG

The older intel 775 mini-itx boards had quad core support, i was hoping that the new 1156 mini-itx would too :(

If you're going to use a Quad, I think the DFI LanParty MI P55-T36 would be a better choice since you won't be able to use the HDMI and DVI ports of the H55/H57 boards anyways.

I just ordered one of the Zotac boards from Amazon. I'll post up my thoughts after I have had a chance to play with it some.

I got my Zotac H55-ITX in from Puget Friday, so far the board has been stable; here are my first impressions and issues:

Heatsink is a tight fit when using a video card; I’m using a Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B with an ATI low profile fanless 4550. The heatsink on this video card extends to the back; I had to cut that off.

There is no fan control for the system fan, so I will have to order a fan controller.

I had to order a USB header extension cable for my case (LAN LI PC-Q07); the headers on this board are on the back.

I had to flash the BIOS to get rid of the “evaluation only” message and to add CPU fan control.

Sapphire bringing out a 785g mini-itx board for AM3?

Looks like it at Cebit....won't be anything too special though. 65w TDP max I believe

Is anyone planning on using this board for an in car computer? I have decided to go with a micro ATX board for my HTPC, so now I am debating if I should keep this to use for a car computer down the road, or just return it for a refund.

Also, can anyone tell me what voltage memory the board supports? I'd like to get some 1.35V ram, but I want to make sure the board supports it.

Last edited:
Is G.Skill the only manufacturer who brings 1.35 volts DIMMS on the market?

This set looks very good as it has the same price as regular DDR3 DIMMS; F3-12800CL9D-4GBECO

Remember not all motherboards can run the 1.35V memory @ 1.35V. So you may be stuck running it at 1.5V or whatever, which somewhat defeats the purpose. That said, the G.Skill seems to be a great set of memory regardless of the fact that it can run at 1.35V.

The intel board is the only one confirmed to be able to run @ 1.35V (and actually down to 1.2V ... intel must know something we don't.... )

Toms Hardware is supposed to have an article coming out on the zotac very soon, they should publish the memory settings available (or someone here can clue us in... hint hint).

Is anyone planning on using this board for an in car computer? I have decided to go with a micro ATX board for my HTPC, so now I am debating if I should keep this to use for a car computer down the road, or just return it for a refund.

Also, can anyone tell me what voltage memory the board supports? I'd like to get some 1.35V ram, but I want to make sure the board supports it.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3748&p=3

They have a huge roundup of H55/H57 mobos, a lot (most) of them go down to 1.35v and lower, hell the MSI board goes down to .906 if you wanted to try to undervolt.
They're all micro ATX obviously, but you should check that roundup. It's a 2 parter.

Are all H55 mITX boards going to have the CPU socket right up next to the ram and pci-e slots?

Corsair H50 should do. Youĺl lose the 3.5" bay though.

I have that setup but with a P55 board (DFI MI P55-T36)

Corsair H50 should do. Youĺl lose the 3.5" bay though.

I have that setup but with a P55 board (DFI MI P55-T36)

This is what kills me- I want to do an SG-06, with a 5850/same size Fermi, but I want to be able to cool the CPU quietly too, without sacrificing storage, which is what happens with the H50. Ideally, I'd like some ~80GB SSD for the OS and then a 2TB WD Green for everything else.

Any good aftermarket coolers for this: H55-ITX Wifi + SG06 + i5-750 + 5850?

I've looked into Silverstone's NT-06. Essentially, you could flip it's 120mm mount upside down, and mount a fan between the HSF and the CPU, blowing up, assuming there's nothing on the board that interferes with the fan. I don't know if this would work, and I think that there's stuff in the way on the DFI board, but it might work on the Zotac. I'm obviously assuming that you want a 3.5" drive in there, but if you don't, then you could use the H50 as noted above. You won't get much quieter than that with overclocking.

One thing I mentioned in my DFI P55 review was the CPU socket placement and how important that was. The Anandtech review confirms this as the GeminII S is probably the more popular cooler (that and the H50) for those using the SG05 and SG06.

And yes, (to the one person who said it shouldn't matter) the CPU cooler does matter on mini-itx. The CPU gets just as hot. The Intel cooler cannot handle a prime 95 burn for very long when barely overclocking. It makes a big difference.

Why the H55 guys are putting the CPU socket so close to the PCI-E is beyond me and any little benefit is outweighed by the cost. We'll see how it goes when I do a few more reviews of these boards.

can't wait for Lan Gear and PC Design Lab to come out with some more stuff as well!

Well you are not going to overclock much on MINI-ITX boards either, maybe a newxt DFI revision with digital PWMs please. Otherwise not.

The thing with lynnfields is that they are pretty cool, and also they are about enough for any game / app at stock speeds.

Regarding cooling, I'd think the DFI would be easier. The more conventional socket placement would allow the NT06 or even better the GeminIIS to work just fine needing just a slim fan. And if you are using a discrete graphics card, I think DFI is way to go unless you care for "the bundle" WiFi and such stuff. You're even getting a i5 750 so no point going Zotac over DFI in my humble opinion.

I recently built a gaming machine with the Zotac and I am having trouble running it cool. I am following the build from this guide: http://forum.corsair.com/upload/h50minipc.pdf

Silverstone SG06-B
Zotac H55-ITX
Intel Core i7 860
Asetek LCLC
Sony slim optical drive
ATI Radeon 3870

The Asetek LCLC didn't come with a 120mm fan so I am using the one that came with the case.

CPU Idle temp is around 50C. When I run Prime95, CPU temps reaches 80C degrees in 15 minutes. After I have stopped Prime95, CPU temps remain constant at 80C and never go back down. I am running under stock speeds. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks

80c seems a bit high...no one has had these kinds of results.

Try remounting or using another thermal compound...have you turned on all the cooling options in BIOS?

Thanks guys.

I am using the thermal compound that came with the HS. I will get some arctic silver and try again.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to indefinitely run Prime95 with the stock heatsink? I might want to switch back to the stock heatsink because of issues fitting the video card.

Thanks

I'm being using my i5 with a stock heatsink for a comparison test and so far it has not been able to run the computer for very long without overheating. You really don't want 80c.

I have 20c idle and 50-55c load with my H50, something's wrong there. What voltage are you running?

Maybe the fan is orientated wrong? you should still have a front fan to get air into the case

FYI, if "turboboost" is important to you, you may have an issue with the zotac (this is from an official zotac rep):

Apparently the initial production batch of H55-ITX boards suffer from a hardware defect that prevents Turbo Boost from functioning. If you believe your product is affected, you can submit an RMA request.

Steeeeve,

What kind of idle/load temps are you seeing with your i5?

Thanks
Overclocked or not? I'm having a huge comparison soon but basically with all the cooling options turned on I idle around 20c (seems low considering my house temp) and load gets over 70...quickly. If I run a game like Natural Selection (shut up, I like it) then it only gets to 60 or so.

I got my SG05 w/ Zotac H55 up and running today, Install went very smooth but with one minor issue.

I have a silverstone slim line blu-ray drive and the small mounting screws hit the drive tray when I tighten them, preventing the tray to open. I guess I need to track down some washers so I can shim it out. Does anyone else have or ran into this problem ? Also the tray only comes out about an inch when I hit the eject button, Is this normal or is it supposed to open all the way out?

Anyone got a recommendation for a temp monitor program for my H55, I could not get speedfan to work.

thanks.

(I'll try to post pic's later in the sugo 05 thread, Nothing fancy except I had to relocate my 3.5" HDD)

I've read/seen a lot of problems with mounting screws for slimline drives. Most of them will not open if you tighten the screws too much. There really needs to be a better way to mount those.

I got my SG05 w/ Zotac H55 up and running today, Install went very smooth but with one minor issue.

I have a silverstone slim line blu-ray drive and the small mounting screws hit the drive tray when I tighten them, preventing the tray to open. I guess I need to track down some washers so I can shim it out. Does anyone else have or ran into this problem ? Also the tray only comes out about an inch when I hit the eject button, Is this normal or is it supposed to open all the way out?

Anyone got a recommendation for a temp monitor program for my H55, I could not get speedfan to work.

thanks.

(I'll try to post pic's later in the sugo 05 thread, Nothing fancy except I had to relocate my 3.5" HDD)
Interesting...my works fine..then again I have slot loading. Yeah, like a laptop the tray generally just "pops" out about an inch.

Thanks Steeeeve, I'll try to make it down to the hardware store today and see if I can find some washers for those screws " they got to be the smallest screws in the world" :)

Also the tray only comes out about an inch when I hit the eject button, Is this normal or is it supposed to open all the way out?

Yeah, like a laptop the tray generally just "pops" out about an inch.
As Steeeeve said, slimlines are only supposed to "pop" about an inch or so. They're designed that way, to keep power consumption down.

You see, adding a servo to the tray would not only make the thing heavier and bulkier but it would also mean that you'd need to have it draw power every time the drive opened and closed. Since ODDs are kind of power hogs when active, and the servos usually need 12V to be fast enough (AFAIK, only the 5V line is available for slimline ODDs), the whole servo mount was replaced with a spring actuator: you disengage a lock and the spring takes care of the rest.

Cheers.

Miguel

Back