H55 / H57 mITX boards: post them here

As someone else already pointed out, mITX can only accommodate one expansion slot.

Search for mini-DTX for two-slotted solutions. Keep in mind, though, that mini-DTX is a rather new standard, and not very popular at it (funny enough, there seem to be more Intel-based mini-DTX motherboards than AMD-based, and AMD created the standard... lol).

I didn't think it was all that new, perhaps my memory fails me.
Intriguing, I didn't realise there is more Intel implementations but it doesn't surprise me!

Exactly. That configuration, though it would make sense in some implementations (especially on Atom-based motherboards), would cause A LOT of headaches both to motherboard and case manufacturers. No case currently available can handle using the motherboard I/O bracket as an expansion slot. And I'm guessing manufacturers don't want to spend the extra money on ultra-niche markets...

This is a good point, I'll still hold out hope that a freak appears, but in the meantime I'll just have to resign myself to mATX

Give it time. mini-ITX took several years to be accepted by the mainstream audiences. I remember the first VIA Epia mobos a very long while ago.
Mini-DTX is the same thing: it was created by a low-volume manufacturer (AMD doesn't even build motherboards, and CPU market share is still nowhere near that from Intel, though calling AMD a low-volume manufacturer when comparing it to VIA is kind of stupid, I know), to be used on a niche market. It will take time, manufacturers are just now getting the hang of things on the mini-ITX camp...

I suppose, I could've sworn it's been out for at least 2yrs now..
That's a pretty good indication that it'll prolly never get any critical mass :(

However, there is something mini-DTX has against it: the fall of the expansion slot market. Let's face it, back in the days you'd need a GPU, a NIC, a Sound Card and probably a couple other non-USB expansion cards on your rig. Nowadays, most of that stuff is embedded on something else, or it's available on USB format (for better or worse).

True, but there will always be enthusiasts that aren't happy with the integrated stuff & will want the option for 'discretes'.
Particularly central componentry like graphics and audio....

For the "normal" people among us, if you need a gaming rig, you're probably thinking one single or double-slotted GPU, on-board audio and LAN, etc. Low-end machines can even part with the GPU, so no slots needed there. Anything bigger than mini-ITX here is wasted space, really. Right now, and if the IGP on Clarkdale/Arrandale CPUs is good enough, even entry-level HTPCs can live without more than one expansion slot (and there are even USB TV receivers). Thus negating the need for the more expensive two-slot motherboards...

I'm hoping arrandale will be fine with all HD media formats but the jury's still out.
There's no such concerns with VDPAU + GT210 in Linux.

I'm also not wanting to use on-board audio or digital pass-through to A/V receivers &/or discretes...
I want quality analogue out straight from my front-end, hence the need for another PCI slot for my Essnece ST + H6 7.1 board

On the other hand, high-end gamers, audiophiles and the mid/high-end HTPC crowd need at least uATX, since most GPUs need the second slot space, which mini-DTX would loose, and multiple GPUs and/or dedicated audio/NIC/TV cards need more than two slots.That said, I still hope mini-DTX will triumph. If GPUs can go back to the single-slot era with decent performance, the second slot might come in handy for one internal TV receiver.

Yeah in reality even if I had mini-DTX options, I guess I'd still be too limited if I want to swap-in a beefy gaming card occasionally.
I'm going with the front-end + back-end topology (MythTV)....

My front-end needs to be as integrated and as low power as possible without compromising too much.
Most of the time it will just be: H57/Q57 mobo, 2GB DDR3, i3 530 (or the Pentium), GT210 (if needed), Essence ST+H6, WD black 1TB, & maybe a SSD for boot volume.
I may buy a strong GPU later to swap-in occasionally for gaming....

The back-end will be my PVR and (temporarily) my NAS.

Last edited:
I don't think it can combine both streams there would be horrible jitter.

I think it's more like use the 5.8G band for media streaming and use the 2.4G for the rest of clients. There is a lot more bandwidth than 802.11g though, be it at 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz because of the use of wider channels.

This is correct, there is no combination of the two.

I didn't think it was all that new, perhaps my memory fails me.
Intriguing, I didn't realise there is more Intel implementations but it doesn't surprise me!
DTX just turned three (actually, just 5 days ago); mini-ITX is about to turn nine.

Mini-ITX started reaching mainstream around at the same time DTX was introduced. Which means DTX still has a few years to go before mainstream accepts it.

True, but there will always be enthusiasts that aren't happy with the integrated stuff & will want the option for 'discretes'.
Particularly central componentry like graphics and audio....
With current generation GPUs, with HD bitstreaming, enthusiasts only really need a decent AV system.

Though, I totally get your point. However, these "enthusiasts" are the first ones to say "nah, that's too small. Anything smaller than ATX is rubbish, especially for OC". So probably it's a market segmentation thing, no?

I'm hoping arrandale will be fine with all HD media formats but the jury's still out.
There's no such concerns with VDPAU + GT210 in Linux.

I'm also not wanting to use on-board audio or digital pass-through to A/V receivers &/or discretes...
I want quality analogue out straight from my front-end, hence the need for another PCI slot for my Essnece ST + H6 7.1 board
Linux is a great question mark for me. I've been a Windows power user for too many years to be able to dive in to Linux and not to feel completely frustrated (tried it several times, actually). I'll have to take your word on it :p

As for "quality analogue out", I also get it. Though I'm a bit hard of hearing. I can pinpoint audio oddities on an audio stream, no matter the bitrate (within limits, of course, there are limits on how much you can shave without loosing stuff), and I can even hear people talking 50m away with a water fountain running right by my side; but anything encoded using more than 96kbps is basically the same audio stream to my ears, so ALC888 and 885 are pretty much the same :p

Odd case of quantity vs. quality, I guess.

Most of the time it will just be: H57/Q57 mobo, 2GB DDR3, i3 530 (or the Pentium), GT210 (if needed), Essence ST+H6, WD black 1TB, & maybe a SSD for boot volume.
Keep in mind the Pentium chip seems to be missing some features.

I'm reading the review links I requested, and that popped out on one of them. Do check if any of them are needed before going "el cheapo" with the new Intel IGP.

This is correct, there is no combination of the two.
I believe while Intel's implementation doesn't actually stream video over the two bands (too many headaches), video streaming and normal data are split, which enhances the link quality. If memory serves me right, HD is run over the better-used and less crowded A band (5GHz), and the rest of the data will be moved over the N band (2.4GHz). Of course, I am still to come across such a practical implementation on a normal WLAN environment...

HD over WiFi G is lowsy, and even HD over WiFi N is not that great, from what I've read. the A band seems to be better suited for high-bitrate streaming, though I'm still a big supporter of wired connections.

Cheers.

Miguel

Yes, wired FTW, and cheaper to boot.

I have a dual band N router but actually never noticed a difference of using one band or another, but of course I don't have dual band cards, just the WRT610N and a 5.8Ghz for HTPC, rest of clients 2.4GHz

I haven't read the N spec nor the dual band stuff, but as a networking guy bonding interfaces over microwave links is enough of a headache for me to think about this homely stuff :D

DTX just turned three (actually, just 5 days ago); mini-ITX is about to turn nine. Mini-ITX started reaching mainstream around at the same time DTX was introduced. Which means DTX still has a few years to go before mainstream accepts it.

If mini-DTX tracks the same way...

With current generation GPUs, with HD bitstreaming, enthusiasts only really need a decent AV system. Though, I totally get your point. However, these "enthusiasts" are the first ones to say "nah, that's too small. Anything smaller than ATX is rubbish, especially for OC". So probably it's a market segmentation thing, no?

Not me, I want my front-end to eventually be the AV system.
It's not there yet (& might never be) so I'll prolly get an AVR or some "separates" in the interim.
But the potential is definitely there for media front-ends to fulfil that role too.

The more I think about it...
The more I feel mATX is the best overall for my needs, even if there was mini-DTX.

Linux is a great question mark for me. I've been a Windows power user for too many years to be able to dive in to Linux and not to feel completely frustrated (tried it several times, actually). I'll have to take your word on it :p

Oh and it still takes some wrangling/patience, that hasn't changed.
But its definitely worth it in the end IMHO! :D

As for "quality analogue out", I also get it. Though I'm a bit hard of hearing. I can pinpoint audio oddities on an audio stream, no matter the bitrate (within limits, of course, there are limits on how much you can shave without loosing stuff), and I can even hear people talking 50m away with a water fountain running right by my side; but anything encoded using more than 96kbps is basically the same audio stream to my ears, so ALC888 and 885 are pretty much the same :p Odd case of quantity vs. quality, I guess.

I'm sorry I don't follow.

Keep in mind the Pentium chip seems to be missing some features.
I'm reading the review links I requested, and that popped out on one of them. Do check if any of them are needed before going "el cheapo" with the new Intel IGP.

Yes I noticed that, bit of a trap, thanks for highlighting again,

I believe while Intel's implementation doesn't actually stream video over the two bands (too many headaches), video streaming and normal data are split, which enhances the link quality. If memory serves me right, HD is run over the better-used and less crowded A band (5GHz), and the rest of the data will be moved over the N band (2.4GHz). Of course, I am still to come across such a practical implementation on a normal WLAN environment...HD over WiFi G is lowsy, and even HD over WiFi N is not that great, from what I've read. the A band seems to be better suited for high-bitrate streaming, though I'm still a big supporter of wired connections.

This is correct, improved QoS, I will be leveraging it.
As far as I'm aware A also falls under the bracket of N.
N != 2.4Ghz exclusively

Cheers

Anyone know if nV make their GT2x series available in a mini-PCIe form-factor?
Guess they do but it's prolly only available for laptops :(

The Essence cards will prolly never be in that form-factor.

And has anyone heard of a PCIe 2.0 16x <--> PCI adapter/converter?
Didn't think this was possible....

If mini-DTX tracks the same way...
Yes, that's a big "IF".

I'm sorry I don't follow.
All I was saying was I totally understand your need for high-quality audio, followed by a little tidbid about my own hearing capabilities (I can pinpoint and analyze sounds very well, but everything sounds the same to me with either "normal" or "ultra-high" quality sound, so those expensive add-on cards or high-end sound systems are a moot point with me... As long as it's not some kind of yucky 2.0 OEM €10 systems, I'll probably won't notice the difference... :p).

As far as I'm aware A also falls under the bracket of N.
N != 2.4Ghz exclusively
Thanks for clearing that up! It makes perfect sense, with the dual-frequency mode and such.

Cheers.

Miguel

Yes, that's a big "IF".

Yep.

All I was saying was I totally understand your need for high-quality audio, followed by a little tidbid about my own hearing capabilities (I can pinpoint and analyze sounds very well, but everything sounds the same to me with either "normal" or "ultra-high" quality sound, so those expensive add-on cards or high-end sound systems are a moot point with me... As long as it's not some kind of yucky 2.0 OEM &#8364;10 systems, I'll probably won't notice the difference... :p).

There's huge variations in expense and what one could define as normal / ultra-high quality, so you'd prolly have to be more specific.
But I think I see what you're trying to suggest...

Thanks for clearing that up! It makes perfect sense, with the dual-frequency mode and such.

No worries.

All the best,
Jed

Fascinating, thanks,

I wonder if there's a mini-PCIe to PCI adapter?
Preferably with a longish loose/flexible connector, ala some of the riser card set-ups.

I could use the one PCIe 2.0 16x slot for graphics, & I could convert the mini-PCIe to a PCI for the Essence!

It may not fit on the board properly, and it certainly won't fit into any sort of mITX case

Zotac H55ITX-A-E

Funny the product description on their page of lists of motherboards says "ZOTAC H55ITX-A-E LGA 775 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard". Really Zotac? Is this H55 LGA1156 or LGA 775, cause I'm sure it's not both.

my mini itx htpc build is just waiting for a h55 mobo to fit an I3 that and the memory is the only thing I need, already bought everything else. I can't wait much longer!!:D

I wonder how many revisions of that H55 board Zotac will release... :rolleyes:
Let's hope not as many as they did for the 9300i-based board (or the Ion boards, for that matter). Nor as many revisions of the same layout, it's a pain just to keep track of which revision has what features...

Now, a little side question: does WMP/7MC can post-process HD-decoded video? So far I've only seen MPC-HC doing it... Also, how good is the IGP on the new Intel CPUs at post-processing? I'd like to have a compact case without a dedicated GPU to be able to handle 100% HQV video. Is that even possible right now?

Cheers.

Miguel

Not yet. Couple sites have DH57JG for pre order
Buy.com listed it with no price and you can't preorder.

I don't know if that mobo will support the i3 530. I'm getting desperate
Well, considering that H5x-based motherboards were actually designed with i3/i5 5xx and 6xx series Intel CPUs in mind (plus the G9650 Pentium Dual Core), most likely answer to that question is "yes, it will support it".

P55-based mobos, on the other hand, are likely to need a BIOS upgrade. Also, some Hx-based motherboards seem not to like being paired up with 7xx and 8xx series i5/i7s (another BIOS update is needed in those cases).

Cheers.

Miguel

Well, considering that H5x-based motherboards were actually designed with i3/i5 5xx and 6xx series Intel CPUs in mind (plus the G9650 Pentium Dual Core), most likely answer to that question is "yes, it will support it".

P55-based mobos, on the other hand, are likely to need a BIOS upgrade. Also, some Hx-based motherboards seem not to like being paired up with 7xx and 8xx series i5/i7s (another BIOS update is needed in those cases).

Cheers.

Miguel

Thanks miguel I'm considering in using a zotac mini itx with a dual core cpu since it's taking long for the h55 mobos to come out :mad:

Thanks miguel I'm considering in using a zotac mini itx with a dual core cpu since it's taking long for the h55 mobos to come out :mad:
In that case, I'd consider the 9300 K-E (if memory serves me right), right out of the oven, and which seems to support DDR3. It would keep your upgrade path cheaper.

But, since I don't want to OT myself, check the Zotac 9300 thread here on the forum, if you're interested. It's a pretty popular thread, so you won't have any problems finding it.

Cheers.

Miguel

I don't think it will be much longer considering they are available in the EU already. Maybe I'm wrong though I dunno.

Just got an email today from the place I pre-ordered an Intel dh57jg from. They said they expect to get them on February 21st.

I have been waiting for the Intel DH57JG mini-ITX board to become available.
Any ideas when they will have it up on their website, and when/where it will go on sale?

All the review sites stated available Q1 2010, and i still dont see it anywhere.

I have been waiting for the Intel DH57JG mini-ITX board to become available.
Any ideas when they will have it up on their website, and when/where it will go on sale?

All the review sites stated available Q1 2010, and i still dont see it anywhere.

See post above yours

dh57kc1mini.jpg

What's slot above the SATA ports and beside the SB?

And... why get the Intel over the Zotac?

Has anyone heard of a h55/7 or q55/7 mATX mobo that has USB3/SATA6G?
I've only been able to find an ATX motherboard that meets those requirements: P7H57D-V EVO

What's slot above the SATA ports and beside the SB?

1) That's either the "Turbo Memory" slot (2nd-gen, don't remember the name Intel gave it), in which case that's a picture of a prototype board since Intel dropped the whole "let's add Flash-based storage to motherboards" thing, though some Intel motherboard designs still have the pinouts for the slot, or a mini-PCIe slot.

I'd go with the first option, since I've never seen a vertical mini-PCIe slot. I'm not even sure that's allowed by the standard or safe for the expansion card, not to mention it would add like 6 cm to the height of the motherboard...

2) Intel will win over Zotac if you *MUST* have an H57-based motherboard, since the Zotac one is H55-based.

Has anyone heard of a h55/7 or q55/7 mATX mobo that has USB3/SATA6G?
Unless someone manages to fit the extra components and traces needed for USB3 and/or SATA6G to the already cramped (and noisy) environment of a mini-ITX motherboard with a compulsory PCIe 16x slot (you got to love Intel for cramming the IGP on the CPU and then allowing older CPUs without IGP to be used on the newer mobos, which means all of them must have a PCIe 16x slot for a dedicated GPU if used with an older CPU... hehehe), OR building an 8-layer beast with components on the underside (yuck), which would skyrocket the price, then I'm guessing you won't be seeing one of those.

But DFI and EVGA have been known to cough up some bleeding edge stuff, and I believe one of the best motherboard designers is currently working for EVGA (if memory serves me right), so it might happen...

Cheers.

Miguel

Unless someone manages to fit the extra components and traces needed for USB3 and/or SATA6G to the already cramped (and noisy) environment of a mini-ITX motherboard with a compulsory PCIe 16x slot (you got to love Intel for cramming the IGP on the CPU and then allowing older CPUs without IGP to be used on the newer mobos, which means all of them must have a PCIe 16x slot for a dedicated GPU if used with an older CPU... hehehe), OR building an 8-layer beast with components on the underside (yuck), which would skyrocket the price, then I'm guessing you won't be seeing one of those.l

No I meant mATX, sorry I know this thread is mini-ITX, I just figured there'd be some good heads here.
I already checked the big three (Asus/Gbyte/MSI) & this is the best I got so far:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...sonSheet.aspx?ProductID=3309,3308,3307&Page=1
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=LZtx6p7WKTP77rsk&templete=2
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=CadI5xNLwMYopFyJ&templete=2
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=XSm0g8qR5qb7UN30&templete=2
mATX MSI: no USB3 or SATA6G, but 2 PCI 16x, 1 PCI 1x, & 1 PCI, which is a nice balance IMO.
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=&prod_no=1975

Only one of these 7 mobo's has SATA6G and USB3, and it's ATX, such a downer.
I guess it gets trickier to implement at mATX....

I'm now going check:
ECS, Foxconn, Shuttle, Albatron, DFI, eVGA, Soltek (they're extinct?)

I'm done after that....
If it doesn't turn-up a mATX w/SATA6G & USB3 then I'll just go for the ATX Asus board.
Way bigger than my orginal intentions of a mini-ITX...

But then again I have decided to build an AIO instead of a FE this time round.

Last edited:

Intel is generally a higher quality and greater reliability brand name manufacturer then Zotac.

I would trust that Intel would have had more man-hours in actual testing on their boards, vs rushing out to be first, thus the reason we are all waiting for their latest i5/i3 mini-ITX board, while Zotac already has one out on the market.

Not that there is anything specifically wrong with Zotac; just saying that Intel in my opinion is probably more reliable.

This question is a bit off topic for this thread, but for now the closest is this: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=LZtx6p7WKTP77rsk&templete=2 USB 3.0 but no SATA 6Gb/s and because it's H55, no RAID either. Still, it's a decent mATX board.

Yeah that's on my short-list along with the GA-H57M-USB3 & a few others.
I'm checking several more mobo manufacturers....
Alas I doubt I'll find mATX w/SATA6G & USB3, so I may have to go with ATX :(

So as to avoid over-polluting this thread, I did link to my thread in my last post .
If anyone wants to add some thoughts on this, please do so here: config ideas for MythBE/NAS + Myth/XBMC FE
Thanks!

Last edited:
Care to share where this "place" you ordered from is?
Thanks.

Sure, I pre-ordered from these guys. Never heard of them before myself so I wouldn't recommend them, but I can tell you that they haven't charged my card yet since they haven't shipped the item which is good.

If the Zotac comes out sooner I'll probably get it instead. I don't need H57, I just need ITX with HDMI out for my i3 530.

I do agree with Interested's post above that Intel is generally a more stable/reliable MB manufacturer. They suck balls for overclocking, but that's not the plan for this HTPC so I'd actually prefer an Intel board.

The black slot with white clips (looks like a shortened DIMM socket) is supposed to be Turbo Memory 2.0, codenamed Braidwood. See the following:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10258748-64.html
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/12/intels-braidwood-looks-to-take-another-stab-at-turbo-memory/

Again supposed to give SSD-like performance benefits, with larger Flash this time (16/32GB) and the ability to assign applications priority in Windows. Note the chip pictured in those articles would fit perfectly in the mystery slot. However ...

While I've been waiting for this board like the rest of us (weren't these damn things supposed to be out already?) I've been searching for pre-order sites & board images etc. Older pictures from the Intel demonstration around September 2009 show this slot but recent ones do not. See below:

Intel_DH57JG.jpg

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1170
http://micro-xpc.com/items/boards/intel/board_intel_dh57jg-detail.htm

Looks to me like they dropped it. Too bad, at suggested prices of $10-$20/module I was willing to give it a try. Lord knows I couldn't convince the person I'm building this for to buy a decent SSD.

Back