Gwent

I'm glad for those that enjoyed it... but I avoided it in the games and will be avoiding it in stand-alone form as well.

Is there really enough audience to warrant this? People like it that much? I mean, I remember there was a mod where all the fights were replaced with Gwent matches, but I just figured that was someone being funny. Not... you know, serving a community.

I enjoed it but it wasn't that great. Triple Triad and Tetra Master kicks its ass imo.

Still playing it against other players might not be a bad idea. AI is dumb most of the time.

Gwent is fun.... as a minigame in an already existing amazing game. I don't see how the gameplay of Gwent is remotely deep enough to warrant its own standalone.

So are you going to have to buy the good cards in order to have a chance? Hate F2P.

Good F2P game models allow people to acquire all game content by playing, and the free content is subsidized by the whales that would rather pay up front for everything rather than play to unlock it. Or, having cosmetic stuff (like new card frame art/backs). F2P is a great model if done right.

Agree, f2p is great when it's done like tf2 and csgo, it's terrible when it's done like those cell phone "games"

I consider that model p2w, pay to win.

Gwent is pretty fun but in Witcher 3.

Agree, f2p is great when it's done like tf2 and csgo, it's terrible when it's done like those cell phone "games"

I consider that model p2w, pay to win.

Gwent is pretty fun but in Witcher 3.
CS:GO is not f2p you still have to buy the game in order to play it.

Gwent was amusing, but almost all of the "skill" in playing it revolved around having a better deck. Some encounters border on impossibility (or poor AI) unless you have better cards. On the other side of the coin, the later encounters are cake because your cards are too good.
To make it a stand-alone game, they're going to need to tweak the rules a bit. Either that or just go all-in and make it pay-to-win.

The game mechanics just aren't deep enough to warrant this. Really dumb in my opinion.

Maybe I'll end up eating my words, we will see.

Interesting! I saw that image in TW3 thread and thought you meant they were making a physical tabletop card game of Gwent, which sounds awesome! I would totally buy a tabletop version of Gwent, as long as they somehow made it playable for more players at a time (a 2-6 player version would be perfect), and as long as the whole game was included in the base package, not another P2W like Magic etc.

I have little to no interest in a stand-alone video game of Gwent, again especially if P2W model. I'll just stick to playing it inside TW3.

I really couldn't get into it in witcher 3, tried it like twice and lost both times. maybe this game will be easier for beginners.

I really couldn't get into it in witcher 3, tried it like twice and lost both times. maybe this game will be easier for beginners.
Outside of the theme, completely different games.
Interesting! I saw that image in TW3 thread and thought you meant they were making a physical tabletop card game of Gwent, which sounds awesome! I would totally buy a tabletop version of Gwent, as long as they somehow made it playable for more players at a time (a 2-6 player version would be perfect), and as long as the whole game was included in the base package, not another P2W like Magic etc.

I have little to no interest in a stand-alone video game of Gwent, again especially if P2W model. I'll just stick to playing it inside TW3.
The tabletop already exists (Witcher, not Gwent) The Witcher Adventure Game | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Physical copy of Gwent was only released with 2 decks. For the longest time, you could've redeemed your decks if you purchased the DLC http://redeemgwent.com/ (same two decks that came with the xbox CE)

I liked Gwent quite a bit in W3. More than I expected. Signed up and looking forward to it.

Gwent was amusing, but almost all of the "skill" in playing it revolved around having a better deck. Some encounters border on impossibility (or poor AI) unless you have better cards. On the other side of the coin, the later encounters are cake because your cards are too good.
To make it a stand-alone game, they're going to need to tweak the rules a bit. Either that or just go all-in and make it pay-to-win.

Yeah, exactly how I felt about it. The mechanics were not hard to grasp, but it all just came down to who had the better cards.

I really like gwent. My northern realms deck just blasted the AI once I got the spies and some good elite cards. The only Mod I have put on TW3 is gwent stakes which allows up to 100K per hand of gwent. I would have preferred that shopkeepers have been able to play gwent up to whatever amount they have on themselves minus some small percentage so that they always have some coin.

Back