[GUIDE] Windows 7 HTPC Playback Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... as reported I actually have issues with extender playback, so I'll try removing it and install HAALI instead and report.

Bob

Ok so I'm stuck with the Divx Tech Preview for MKV,as I use the x360 as a souce for my home theater.

Well there's the problem. Don't rely on a console for a HTPC's job.

okay, mkvs are working now.

next issue:

in my old setup, my mkvs that were encoded with DD or DTS would light up my reciever when playing them, but now i just get pro logic (which is default for regular avis and non-hd rips)

I have DTS and DD enabled in windows sound manager, but I don't know how to set up ffdshow to (not)decode them, as I just want them passed through to the reciever.

any ideas? i know it should work, since i had it set up properly a couple days ago, before i switched to 7. (and it should be easier, since haali and ffdshow are the only things installed now, instead of all the crap i had before.

thanks

Just disable dd and dts under "codecs" then enable the S/PDIF passthrough under "Output". All in ffdshow obviously.

I can't for the life of me get CUDA to work with my new HTPC setup. What is up with these nVidia drivers?

Athlon II Dual Core Regor
8200 iGPU
2GB DDR2 800

I've tried both 190.38 and 185.85 forceware drivers. Would you recommend any others?

I've got CUDA acceleration working on the Nvidia 8200 (Asus M3N78-VM) with the 190.38 drivers. Go into the CoreAVC config from the start menu again and make sure it's still setup as the preferred codec with preferred CUDA acceleration. Restart the computer and check again. The little tray icon should light up green if it's working during playback. If that doesn't work, try to download the CUDA driver from Nvidia's website. http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html Other than that, I don't know. I've done several Nvidia 8200 setups in which it worked just fine.

I'll try and download those drivers. Have you ever had any trouble with an Nvidia 8200 at all?

Even with the new driver package, CUDA is still not working in WMC. Although, it will work in MPC:HC...?

Works fine.. I'm guessing you didn't actually read the guide where it says to set CoreAVC as your directshow filter...

Would the CoreAVC icon even come up when starting WMC if it wasn't the default directshow filter?

You did use the DirectShow changer utility to set CoreAVC as the defult?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Would the CoreAVC icon even come up when starting WMC if it wasn't the default directshow filter?
When starting Media Center.. no. When playing back media using the CoreAVC codec.. yes, if the try icon is enabled. It's blue if it isn't using hardware acceleration, it's green when it is using CUDA hardware acceleration.

Just disable dd and dts under "codecs" then enable the S/PDIF passthrough under "Output". All in ffdshow obviously.

I don't have DD listed under codecs, only DTS, and under "output" there is no specific option for s/pdif anywhere, except for an "Apply only to spdif output" check box...

thanks

I don't have DD listed under codecs, only DTS, and under "output" there is no specific option for s/pdif anywhere, except for an "Apply only to spdif output" check box...

thanks

DD = AC3 :p

As for the S/PDIF passthrough option...:

6wszo6qdhwf32lz15o.png

You are using a new version of ffdshow tryouts from xvidvideo.ru correct?

You did use the DirectShow changer utility to set CoreAVC as the defult?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yes. Like I was saying, the icon appears when I start playin some media but it never turns green with WMC.

Dumb question..do I have to have ITUNES installed to playback the Apple HD Trailers? I have Zunes..not Ipods..etc...and absolutely hate ITUNES. I've tried Quicktime alternative ..didn't work.

Win7 plays it back just fine.. it has full support for .mov and .mp4 for Apple shit.

The reason the trailers aren't playing back right is because Apple fucked their website so people can't stream from 3rd party programs anymore. They changed some user agent strings or something. There's going to be an update to the HD Movie Trailers plug-in soon.

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/topics/211
http://www.mediabrowser.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3230
http://www.mediabrowser.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3307

Win7 plays it back just fine.. it has full support for .mov and .mp4 for Apple shit.

The reason the trailers aren't playing back right is because Apple fucked their website so people can't stream from 3rd party programs anymore. They changed some user agent strings or something. There's going to be an update to the HD Movie Trailers plug-in soon.

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/topics/211
http://www.mediabrowser.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3230
http://www.mediabrowser.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3307

Then that would be the problem ;) Thanks for the info.

What would be the benefit of using CoreAVC w/ CUDA over MPC-HC's built-in decoder w/ DXVA? System is an Asus P5N7A-VM (Geforce 9300), Win7 RTM 32-bit. TIA!

Is there a quality difference between CoreAVC and MPC-HC? I seem to recall people saying something about CoreAVC producing artifacts or whatever back a few years ago when I used it.

No. That was the older versions of CoreAVC that didn't use hardware acceleration through CUDA.

The new Itunes HD Movie trailer plugin for Mediabrowser is available that fixes the streaming issue.

Go to your Mediabrowser configuration on the start menu and then go to the plug-ins tab.. uninstall the old plug-in, then re-install it. It should now say version 1.0.1.0.

When I download a movie in a certain quality, I would like to have the release group and the nfo information inside the metadata. Can those metadata management programs look up info about a certain release by the scene?

If you want to do that, you can insert those fields into the XML for the metadata. Based off of how shitty (and illegal) scene releases are, I don't know why you'd want to waste the time. You can always use the MediaInfo.dll plug-in to display file info within MediaBrowser.

Since MediaBrowser has the iTunes plugin, is it also possible to get a hulu plugin?

No, not unless you do a custom compilation of Mediabrowser yourself.

You didn't setup your audio properly. Re-read. Either use the pass thru, or software decoding. MPC-HC works because you're most likely using the internal AC3filter.

w1retap : is "pass through" ONLY possible on Windows Vista & up ? can we do this under XP Pro or MediaCenter ? i will have a new laptop next week with NVidia GTS 160M. to avoid any headache when playing BRay with DTS HDMA or DD TrueHD, i ask you and seniors here if XPPro or MC can do this "pass through" method.

as far as i know, when we "pass through" audio, it will let receiver to decode it. there won't be too much load on GPU and we can enjoy latest high end codec surround sound via single HDMI. am I right ?

Pass-thru can be done on XP. It's been quite a few years since I used it, but I believe there is a setting for it. If not, you can always use FFDshow's pass-thru setting, or AC3filter's pass-thru setting.

But, the only way to get DDplus, TrueHD, and DTS-HD is with the HDAV 1.3 sound card at the moment.

Regardless though, the audio decoding is negligible to system load.

Pass-thru can be done on XP. It's been quite a few years since I used it, but I believe there is a setting for it. If not, you can always use FFDshow's pass-thru setting, or AC3filter's pass-thru setting.

But, the only way to get DDplus, TrueHD, and DTS-HD is with the HDAV 1.3 sound card at the moment.

Regardless though, the audio decoding is negligible to system load.

well, notebook owner does not hv much choice than :(. people on avsforum is also reporting only asus HDAV 1.3 and now auzuntech 7.1 that can deliver those latest lossless codecs. worse it still requires discrete GPU & sound card. thus desktop version HTPC is the only way we can go with.

thanks for the clarification !

The only program it works with is Total Media Theater. Nothing else has secure path support.

The Haali links are dead in the original post. Any other places to get it? Also, is there a link for the version of ffdshow that you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back