GTX 690 owner's experience

#1RAGE

Limp Gawd
Hey I thought it would be nice to have a thread where some of us lucky GTX 690 owners can share our experiences. Is it meeting your expectations? Worth $1000? Any problems/annoyances?

I just installed my EVGA GTX 690 along with a new 1000W power supply. I've only played about 30 minutes of Battlefield 3 so far.

I'm loving it! I mostly played using Adaptive Vsync and I never once saw anything lower than 59.9 fps. It makes BF3 so buttery smooth I just love it.

I have my computer tower plugged into a Kill-a-Watt power meter. Before today I had an Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU and a GTX 580, nothing else changed. With my GTX 580 my system was drawing 450-470W from the wall while playing BF3. Now with the 690 playing BF3 with Adaptive Vsync my total system power is anywhere from 350W to 430W! Now I do admit I didn't look at my power consumption when in the middle of a huge battle so it is probably that the power usage goes higher but most of the time the 690 is using less power than my old 580. I think my 690 is practically falling asleep when it ONLY has to push 60 fps. :p

So far I'm very happy! :D I'm sure I'll be able to add more later. Afterall I've only used my 690 for about 30 minutes of gaming.

I got the card today and is still wrapped and is gonna stay like that for 3 more weeks.Same with my 2 x 256 samsung 830 SSD and I7-3770k CPU and 32gb ballistix memory and case,psu etc
I'm still waiting for this to be released.I think it's worth waiting http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1692557
the only thing that i've done so far , was to register the card with EVGA

--i have a feeling i'll grab another gtx 690 sooner or later

That's so cool! You should get a 120Hz monitor and see if it can push 120 FPS!

I'm not rich. I just made a tax return upgrade, and sold off my existing components to pay for everything.

You don't have to be rich to have nice things.

I hate how every 690 thread turns into "rich man" discussion; however, I have not seen one person talking about sli 680s get the same feedback.

I clicked on this thread hoping to see come cool feedback...

To everyone that was able to nab one, congrats. I am still waiting on a review of 2 x Sli 690s... :D

I am jealous. I've been trying to procure a 690 for a while now with no luck :( Why all the hate for those that purchased one with the "rich" talk? Give me a break please.

I hate how every 690 thread turns into "rich man" discussion; however, I have not seen one person talking about sli 680s get the same feedback.

I clicked on this thread hoping to see come cool feedback...

To everyone that was able to nab one, congrats. I am still waiting on a review of 2 x Sli 690s... :D

+1
No shit !

It's all about priorities. I spend lesson clothing, alcohol, drugs (0), vehicles, than most people. I spend more on computers and gadgets than most people.

Yeah too bad this has gotten so far off topic.

I played a couple hours of BF3 last night with some major smoothness, beautiful graphics and no problems.

I played a couple hours of BF3 last night with some major smoothness, beautiful graphics and no problems.

Glad to hear reports of smoothness and buttery-ness on the 690 (not that 680s in SLI have had problems with microstutter).

I'd like to hear from 690 owners how the noise level is and compared to what previously (single 680, sli 680, 580, etc).

I'm really curious about perceived microstutter on these beasts. Doesn't seem to be much talk about it, which is good I guess :)

Congrats man. Enjoy. My SLI 680 setup has been nothing but fantastic.

Also the rest of you bitching about money, sounds like you have poor people problems rather than the OP having rich people problems. Oh what, that's mean? Maybe we should all just focus on being hardware enthusiasts rather than comparing paychecks. :rolleyes: It's not anymore acceptable to rip on someone who has a nice video card than it is to rip on the less fortunate.

I was playing BF3 then my ride showed up and I had to go right away so closed BF3 and shut down my PC. Windows shut down but the computer
didnt power off. I waited a minute then held the power button. Later I realized it probably has a cool down mode but I'm not sure. I remember seeing a warning not to turn off computer until the 690 cools down.

Glad to hear reports of smoothness and buttery-ness on the 690 (not that 680s in SLI have had problems with microstutter).

I'd like to hear from 690 owners how the noise level is and compared to what previously (single 680, sli 680, 580, etc).

I had a single 580 but I had it overclocked a little and the 690 is running stock. I'd say the 690 is quieter but my GPU usage has been 30-75% where my 580 always ran at 100%. The max fan output on the 580 was 85% and that seemed louder than the 690 at its max fan output of 95% (iirc). I cant hear the 690 over my case fans when gaming.

I haven't noticed micro stutter and I'm pretty sensitive to things like that.

I was playing BF3 then my ride showed up and I had to go right away so closed BF3 and shut down my PC. Windows shut down but the computer
didnt power off. I waited a minute then held the power button. Later I realized it probably has a cool down mode but I'm not sure. I remember seeing a warning not to turn off computer until the 690 cools down.

This is always a good idea, not just with the 690. Let the computer idle for a couple of minutes before you shut it off to allow the video card to cool.

Also the rest of you bitching about money, sounds like you have poor people problems rather than the OP having rich people problems. Oh what, that's mean? Maybe we should all just focus on being hardware enthusiasts rather than comparing paychecks. :rolleyes: It's not anymore acceptable to rip on someone who has a nice video card than it is to rip on the less fortunate.

+1

totally agreed

There is nothing better than playing a battlefield 3 with the GTX 690 and a 1000W power supply. Don't tell me that you are playing on the 1920x1200.. But if you are actually gaming on a 3x 30" monitors, then might be worth reading your experience..

Last edited:
Agreed. With cards like the 690, it's a given that folks will shred at resolutions below 2560x1600, even at 120hz. Let's here about 4960x1600, 5760x1080, etc, with high graphics settings.

does it really have a cool down mode like a projector? i have never heard of this on a gpu.

does it really have a cool down mode like a projector? i have never heard of this on a gpu.

Not sure. Some people have been claiming it is a bug or some issue with the 690. It only happened once and it was when I shut down immediately after gaming.

I love my 690, and im soooo not rich, smart but not rich. Anyways, im having a good time with it. It overclocks alot better than my 680 evga SC and my PCPC 750 silencer can handle the load with ease. Games are so fluid, most people will laugh but i use a 21 inch CRT. It goes up to 2048x1536 and 1920x1440 at 85Hz. So i game at 1600x1200 at 120Hz with all games vsynced. Flat screens to me are not quite there yet compared to this guy. Playing games at 85 to 120hz synced is like silk. Most games i use 4-8XAA and TSAA at 4X with FXAA always on. I am very happy with my card as there hasnt been this big an improvement in performance in some time. Very cool and VERY quiet!

Games are so fluid, most people will laugh but i use a 21 inch CRT.

ff93b11f_132353322733-mother-of-god-super-.jpg

I love my 690, and im soooo not rich, smart but not rich. Anyways, im having a good time with it. It overclocks alot better than my 680 evga SC and my PCPC 750 silencer can handle the load with ease. Games are so fluid, most people will laugh but i use a 21 inch CRT. It goes up to 2048x1536 and 1920x1440 at 85Hz. So i game at 1600x1200 at 120Hz with all games vsynced. Flat screens to me are not quite there yet compared to this guy. Playing games at 85 to 120hz synced is like silk. Most games i use 4-8XAA and TSAA at 4X with FXAA always on. I am very happy with my card as there hasnt been this big an improvement in performance in some time. Very cool and VERY quiet!

I miss being able to choose a different resolution depending on what you are doing. You just can't do that with an LCD without it looking like crap. I like high resolution but the flexibility was nice. I don't think I'll ever go back to CRT but I'll have to save up for a nice 120Hz LCD.

...... smart but not rich........ ... Games are so fluid, most people will laugh but i use a 21 inch CRT....!

plz tell me you are joking?VGA to HDMI connection to monitor prolly...

no,this must be a joke

Anyone using 690 quad-SLI ? Can you share how well quad-SLI scales at 2560x1600 and beyond ? (BF3, Crysis 1&2, Metro2033, Batman AC etc)

Also, if game 'A' supports 2-way SLI, does that also mean the game 'A' supports 3-way and 4-way(quad) SLI ? or is it separate thing ?

sounds nice, you lucky dogs.

I just want to know how you like the little blinky light on the side there......:eek: j/k

I'd like some input from those who use Surround.
I think this card can spit out single monitors, what about when you make it sweat a little?

thanks......I'm just a little guy with SLi'd GTX 670s :D

Am I rich? No... but I can tell you that I am a part of the 1% of the 99% that is actually hard working and can provide for my wife and kid comfortably. The toys I own, I own because I WORKED for them, and earned them.

Sorry, but the club isn't that exclusive.

People ragging on 690 owners are simply envious, and during a time when the 99% is nothing more than modern hippies demanding a hand out for not having the abilities to manage their own life and need someone to point a finger at, because god forbid that they take responsibility for their own problems.

Am I rich? No... but I can tell you that I am a part of the 1% of the 99% that is actually hard working and can provide for my wife and kid comfortably. The toys I own, I own because I WORKED for them, and earned them.

Id love to have a 690, heck, Id love to even have just a 670 to replace my tired 580, but do I sit here and think to myself that the people who have set themselves up for their hobbies and luxuries deserve comments like "Rich people problems"??? Of course not! Thats the problem with the so called "99%" they make ME (a hard working middle class American) look bad...

A nicer way of expressing my contempt.

Sorry, but the club isn't that exclusive.

Then doesnt that only make the comment of "Rich People Problems" all that more silly??? I appreciate that you proved my point even further.

If people want to see REAL rich people problems, go check out the Ferrari forums.

I don't recall this much angst when the 590 or 295 came out... wtf?

I don't recall this much angst when the 590 or 295 came out... wtf?

I know. Weird, isn't it?

And as was brought up earlier, no one is pulling out the "luxury" card and thread crapping on all the SLI 680 owners in other threads. Hello? A 690 is the same price as two 680s, the same perf, and less power, heat, noise, and stutter, so it represents _more_ value.

Let's keep this thread on topic - owners posting their experiences and the rest of us future owners or dreamers asking questions about that experience.

Power draw is amazing, definitely not seeing any microstudder so far. Definitely don't NEED this card but it's still awesome

690 on a CRT. Excellent work.

I like to think so, there just arent any LCD or LED monitors that are as nice as my monitor. Believe me, if im willing to spend 1K on a GPU, you dont think id pony up a few grand for the very best monitor? Ive tried so many and they dont come close to as fluid as my CRT. I have a 55 inch Sammy LED D7000 sitting next to my CRT, and it BLOWS compared to my monitor. I tried 120HZ monitors, but no flexability... 60 or 120. I like playing my games at 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz in some games. Say what ya want, but most of the people who have negitive stuff cant hold a candle to my rig. If u have a 60Hz monitor and your happy than im glad. When they make a monitor thats better than what i have, I'll buy it. It will be a few years i think, i hope. Until then, Ill play my games at any resolution from 2048X1536 to 1280X1024 at 85Hz.

#1Rage, i love my card, it truely is a work of art. I got mine to clock at 1300/7200. Im gonna flash it it to 1058/1124 core and 6300 memory. Ill let ya know how it works out. 915 at base is too low for me as all my games are vysnced at 85-120Hz. There are new drivers out, 301.44s but i havent given them a go yet. Truely epic performance. I had a 5970 and bought a 680 but it was almost identical in most games, getting the 690 solved that!

Back