GTX 500 Series Rumor Thread

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
Currently there are rumors of the following cards; (My predictions in Green)

GTX 560 http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20835-geforce-gtx-560-comes-next-year-has-384-shaders
Based on a GF114 GPU which is a mainstream chip, little is known about the GPU. It is assumed it will be very similar to a GF104 as far as design but uncrippled. There will be 2 versions of this card, one placed to challenge 6850 and one for 6870. Arriving early to mid Q1

GTX 570 http://press.forestlaneshul.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-570-comes-with-32-core-sm-10098.html
Based on GF110 480 SP 64TMU's is what the rumors are saying. This card will also have 1.5GB GDDR 5 instead of the 1.2GB GTX 470. TDP and power draw to be less than GTX470 although the card will perform much like a GTX 480 Arriving December!

GTX 590 Series http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...2-being-re-designed-for-gtx580-expect-delays/
Leaked through Kitguru from a Crytek Developer. 0% is known about these other than the developer saying they will be optimizing Crysis 2 to use many of the features and Tessellation power of nvidia's GTX 580 and 590 series cards. I predicted before that this will be a GTX 595 (dual GTX 570) card clocked down with 3GB memory. Arriving just after Antilles 1.5GB Per GPU. Very recently I have begun to believe Nvidia may have another single GPU high end chip coming, possibly the GTX 590. I do not believe it will be based on GF110. Arriving Q1 2011

There are also lower end and mobile GPU's coming which are less interesting but as the rumors come I'll update this thread with them.

It will be fun to see what if any of my predictions come true. Feel free to post any rumors you find or any predictions you have about these GPU's. All that I ask is that you be respectful of others. This is a speculation and Rumor thread so take anything including links to rumors with a Grain of Salt

Last edited:
Nice to see one of these rumor threads starting up again....!

GTX 560 http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20835-geforce-gtx-560-comes-next-year-has-384-shaders
Based on a GF114 GPU which is a mainstream chip, little is known about the GPU. It is assumed it will be very similar to a GF104 as far as design but uncrippled. There will be 2 versions of this card, one placed to challenge 6850 and one for 6870. Arriving early to mid Q1

I agree, a 384SP part, with 750/1500 clocks should perform ~25% better than the current GTX460
- and that leave room for a 336SP, 700/1400 part (GTX560 SE)

GTX 570 http://press.forestlaneshul.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-570-comes-with-32-core-sm-10098.html
Based on GF110 480 SP 64TMU's is what the rumors are saying. This card will also have 1.5GB GDDR 5 instead of the 1.2GB GTX 470. TDP and power draw to be less than GTX470 although the card will perform much like a GTX 480 Arriving December!

- 60TMUs in the GTX570, obviously.

Not sure about the memory
- they may keep it at 1.2G, in order to keep a differentiation from the GTX580....

Last edited:
I also think the 570 will have 1.2GB of memory. It only makes sense with a 320 bit bus.

It might be slightly slower than a 480 because of the memory bus issue. Or perhaps the improved architecture will draw it even. We'll see when it releases. It will definitely consume less power/give off less heat than either the 480 or 470 obviously. The 590 could interest me depending on how well it is executed and the price. I suspect it will have 3GB of memory (1.5GB per gpu). Oh BTW it would be nice if the 590 would do NV Surround on a single card and support up to 4 displays by itself. It's got 2 gpus so that's 2 signal generators per chip right? Let's have em all be usable, Nvidia!

Nice predictions there. BTW the reason I say the 570 will probably have 1.5GB is because both the 6950 and 6970 will have 2gb of GDDR 5. I think by only adding 1.2GB they would cripple that chip too much against the 6950.

Who knows maybe 1.2GB but with a aggressive price point. I think the former is more likely as the unfortunate truth is that nvidia and aggressive price point dont usually belong in the same sentence :D

Oh BTW, to eliminate any further confusion my Original post says Dual GF110 is GTX 595 and other single high end GPU is GTX 590 (not based on GF110)

(Underlined GTX 590 single card prediction in OP)

Last edited:
They need to make a single gpu card with 3GB of memory. The 595 would still only have 1.5GB frame buffer being a dual gpu single card. That's not enough!

They need to make a single gpu card with 3GB of memory. The 595 would still only have 1.5GB frame buffer being a dual gpu single card. That's not enough!
For what, exactly? I have two 580s and playing in Surround I don't feel video memory limited at all.

GTX 590 Series http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...2-being-re-designed-for-gtx580-expect-delays/
Leaked through Kitguru from a Crytek Developer. 0% is known about these other than the developer saying they will be optimizing Crysis 2 to use many of the features and Tessellation power of nvidia's GTX 580 and 590 series cards. I predicted before that this will be a GTX 595 (dual GTX 570) card clocked down with 3GB memory. Arriving just after Antilles 1.5GB Per GPU. Very recently I have begun to believe Nvidia may have another single GPU high end chip coming, possibly the GTX 590. I do not believe it will be based on GF110. Arriving Q1 2011

Just great! I run dual GTX 480s, and when the GTX 580 came out as only 20% faster, I was glad as now I didn't need to consider a GTX 580 for an upgrade, I could just tri-SLI with an extra 480. But now I need to consider the dual 595 path instead.

How close might a 595 be to dual 480s? If it's comparable, I'll consider going to a single 595 on release.

Would also be nice as I dual-PSU my config, and I could unplug one PSU. Darn, was just about to buy a 950TX ($99 AMIR Newegg right now) so I could go single-PSU in my config, but doubt that would be enough for dual 595s.

I just love how rumors can affect your BF shopping...

I recently bought a GTX 470 and my StepUp ends in February. By then I should be able to make the right choice on which cards are better.
I would really like a dual gpu card from Nvidia, that would save me money on buying two GTX 570s.

I recently bought a GTX 470 and my StepUp ends in February. By then I should be able to make the right choice on which cards are better.
I would really like a dual gpu card from Nvidia, that would save me money on buying two GTX 570s.

I expect everything from high end down to the mainstream GTX 560s out by then so a phenomenal time for your step up to last. ;)

From Fuad

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20924-nvidias-dual-chip-card-waits-for-antilles

BTW I STILL am sticking to my prediction of the dual GF100 based card will be called the GTX 595 and nvidia may also be introducing a new high end single chip not based on GF100 as a GTX 590. It may be 2gb GDDR 5. Looking around I'm still the one saying this all over the internet AFAIK but I really think this will happen.

Don't they already have a single GPU high end card in the GTX 580? Why make another slightly higher-end single GPU card? It still [likely] wouldn't beat the 6990.

These rumors are all quite awesome, and I'm looking forward to these. That said, it's not helping their already confusing naming scheme. They finally decided on a consistent structure with even being consumers (200 and 400 series) and odd being oem versions (300 series), yet now they're releasing odd-numbered consumer parts. I like me some nvidia, but damn their naming schemes...

TechPowerUp confirms Dual Nvidia GPU also with pics:
http://techpowerup.com/134846/NVIDI...rator-Eying-Total-Performance-Leadership.html
Three DVI connectors. Three monitor support on one card.

GF110 Chip/ GTX 595/3GB Memory

If they downclock the chips it could be possible and will be a performance beast.

Yeah even VR zone has some juicy tidbits here

http://vr-zone.com/forums/937078/nvidia-s-double-gf110-card.html

And here is a more close-up pic for your viewing pleasure
20101119nv.jpg

Don't they already have a single GPU high end card in the GTX 580? Why make another slightly higher-end single GPU card? It still [likely] wouldn't beat the 6990.

Yes, my theory is the GTX 580 was to prove a point. They wanted to make Fermi in all it's glory to prove a point. Yet I believe they have another high end single chip card, not to compete with antilles that's what the gual chip GF110 is for. This one will be to gain the overall single gpu card performance crown beyond any shadow of a doubt

Yes, my theory is the GTX 580 was to prove a point. They wanted to make Fermi in all it's glory to prove a point. Yet I believe they have another high end single chip card, not to compete with antilles that's what the gual chip GF110 is for. This one will be to gain the overall single gpu card performance crown beyond any shadow of a doubt

While in most fantasy worlds that might fly, nVidia has shareholders to answer to and they need to make profit, releasing a second high-end card which would effectively kill any market for the GTX580, would be a bad business choice for NV.

Now that NV is back on track with their release schedules, you'll probably see the next single gpu monster as part of the next architecture that NV was showing, which is not due till late next year.

While in most fantasy worlds that might fly, nVidia has shareholders to answer to and they need to make profit, releasing a second high-end card which would effectively kill any market for the GTX580, would be a bad business choice for NV.

Now that NV is back on track with their release schedules, you'll probably see the next single gpu monster as part of the next architecture that NV was showing, which is not due till late next year.

Yes, I agree. More than likely that will be the case. With rumors of the 6970 coming out around $400.00 or so if they lower the GTX 580 to $400.00 or so also then they have room for an uber high end chip in between the GTX 580 and the GTX 595 to a price pont of say. $499.99 or $529.99. I think both Antilles and GTX 595 will be MORE than $599.99 and more than likely both openly pass the 300W TDP pcie 2.0 spec. This other high end single GPU Fermi card not based on GF110 is just a theory of mine, I hope noone gets worked up over it. :)

BTW the theory came to life during the crysis 2 leak where the developer said crysis 2 was being optimized for the GTX 580/590 series. GTX 595 doesn't make a series IMO. GTX 590 and GTX 595 make a series. :D Then the rumors of Cayman coming at aggressive prices which would surely lower the price of the GTX 580 and then there it was. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but it'll be fun to see if it comes to life.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. More than likely that will be the case. With rumors of the 6970 coming out around $400.00 or so if they lower the GTX 580 to $400.00 or so also then they have room for an uber high end chip in between the GTX 580 and the GTX 595 to a price pont of say. $499.99 or $529.99. I think both Antilles and GTX 595 will be MORE than $599.99 and more than likely both openly pass the 300W TDP pcie 2.0 spec. This other high end single GPU Fermi card not based on GF110 is just a theory of mine, I hope noone gets worked up over it. :)

BTW the theory came to life during the crysis 2 leak where the developer said crysis 2 was being optimized for the GTX 580/590 series. GTX 595 doesn't make a series IMO. GTX 590 and GTX 595 make a series. :D Then the rumors of Cayman coming at aggressive prices which would surely lower the price of the GTX 580 and then there it was. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but it'll be fun to see if it comes to life.

Why would Caymans price play a role in the GTX580s prices :)?
5870 price was $399 and the GTX480 was still priced @$499

t

Why would Caymans price play a role in the GTX580s prices :)?
5870 price was $399 and the GTX480 was still priced @$499

t

Yep. The usually cycle is:
AMD release affordable GPU and then Nvidia releases a faster GPU at a higher price point.
Now the cart is coming before the horse with Nvidia launching first. Nvidia will maintain the $500 price because they will have the faster card.

Yep. The usually cycle is:
AMD release affordable GPU and then Nvidia releases a faster GPU at a higher price point.
Now the cart is coming before the horse with Nvidia launching first. Nvidia will maintain the $500 price because they will have the faster card.

I believe Cayman 6970 will be slower but ever so slightly slower, but and here is the catch about 20% cheaper at $399.99 or so. It may even trade blows at time to time. Recently Nvidia has been playing aggressive games with its prices. I expect them to apply pressure to increase their market share. That is what this GTX 500 series onslaught is all about; For sure we have;

GTX 570, GTX 560 GTX 595 etc..

I also believe we will have

2nd version of GTX 560, lower end 500 series like 550 and (540 or 530).and possibly a high end GTX 590. They are going to try to get market back by price and performance. All fo this by end of Q1. Early to mid for high end/mainstream end of Q1 for low end.

I wouldn't expect the 6970 to be that much slower (if at all) than the 580. The 6970 was clearly designed to beat the 480, which it will do ( I guarantee). Who cares if the 580 is 4-5% faster if the 6970 is a $100 cheaper. That's why folks expect 580 prices to drop.

The dual card looks beastly, I wonder how much power it will consume. And also, the cost, though I won't be surprised if this card cost like $900 or more.

The dual card looks beastly, I wonder how much power it will consume. And also, the cost, though I won't be surprised if this card cost like $900 or more.

I'm sure nvidia is aiming for that, pricing the card so much more than Antilles :rolleyes:

I believe Cayman 6970 will be slower but ever so slightly slower, but and here is the catch about 20% cheaper at $399.99 or so. It may even trade blows at time to time. Recently Nvidia has been playing aggressive games with its prices. I expect them to apply pressure to increase their market share. That is what this GTX 500 series onslaught is all about; For sure we have;

GTX 570, GTX 560 GTX 595 etc..

I also believe we will have

2nd version of GTX 560, lower end 500 series like 550 and (540 or 530).and possibly a high end GTX 590. They are going to try to get market back by price and performance. All fo this by end of Q1. Early to mid for high end/mainstream end of Q1 for low end.

The 6970 will trade blows be overall it will be slower. If AMD price it around $399, Nvidia AIBs may start offering rebates then price cuts, $450 is a good number. As for the Dual GPU card, the GTX 570 may be priced between $350-380, $649 looks like a possible price for it.

Last edited:
The 6970 will trade blows be overall it will be slower. If AMD price it around $399, Nvidia AIBs may start offering rebates then price cuts, $450 is a good number. As for the Dual GPU card, the GTX 570 may be priced between $350-380, $649 looks like a possible price for it.

I expect the GTX 570 to debut for the exact same MSRP that the original GTX 470 debuted for $349.99. Same as the 480/580 MSRP $499.99. That's not to say that some etailers will gouge up a few more bucks. The dual card price you say sounds just right.

I think the sweatheart for those not looking to spend much may be the GTX 570 if nvidia actually goes with the 1.5GB GDDR5 since both the 6950/6970 will both have 2gb each. That card will only be handicapped by a little tessellation and SP vs the GTX 580 and it should OC very well. I'd imagine a dual or tripple GTX 570 would be a awesome setup.

I missed this one, on the surface it looks like it has nothing to do with the 500 series but when you click into the story then you see more

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/11/15/nvidia-eols-gtx480/

In short this quote can be Fud because all Semi accurate does is talk shit about nvidia and spread fud about them. Some issues may have been semi accurate but most are not.

Here is a significant quote
In related news, the GTX460 is totally under water for Nvidia, every SKU appears to be selling at a loss. Expect that part to be replaced by a GTX560 in short order, we hear it is now January.S|A

The part about them losing money on each GTX 460 sounds like a fabricated guess. It could be true but chances are they are selling those at a very small profit or breaking even. I guess anything to slander nvidia is good enough for them. Anyway IF there is truth to this it makes sense that the GTX 560 may come in January, that's sooner than I expected (I expected by mid Feb) but not bad news.

Expect 2 versions, one fully glorified GTX 560 to take on the 6870 and one to take on the 6850. Expect a full and easy performance win in both scenarios. Whoever is in the market for mainstream chips is in for a treat real soon.:)

Last edited:
560 in January? Sooner than I thought. Looks like Nvidia is trying to plug all the leaks quickly this time around.
I'm amazed that they have all of these chips ready to go and they are waiting for AMD to release theirs first.

560 in January? Sooner than I thought. Looks like Nvidia is trying to plug all the leaks quickly this time around.
I'm amazed that they have all of these chips ready to go and they are waiting for AMD to release theirs first.

Pure speculation guess, AMD may be in trouble this time. The next few months may be quite rough for them.

Pure speculation guess, AMD may be in trouble this time. The next few months may be quite rough for them.

Wouldn't Nvidia be hurting if the 6950 beats the 570 and the 6970 is only marginally slower/even with the 580, but substantially cheaper? Nvidia has essentially dismissed an entire generation of cards simply to match AMD's newest offerings. AMD waited about a year before releasing new cards, Nvidia 6-7 months. The 460 1gb is trying to compete with the 6850 in price now (in about 4 months time). Heck, they're still releasing modified versions of the 480 that cost as much as a 580.

Last edited:
Wouldn't Nvidia be hurting if the 6950 beats the 570 and the 6970 is only marginally slower/even with the 580, but substantially cheaper? Nvidia has essentially dismissed an entire generation of cards simply to match AMD's newest offerings. AMD waited about a year before releasing new cards, Nvidia 6-7 months. The 460 1gb is trying to compete with the 6850 in price now (in about 4 months time). Heck, they're still releasing modified versions of the 480 that cost as much as a 580.

Depends on that actually being true and what nvidia does with its new chips. That's why I said speculative guess. My guess is that the 6950/6970 will be ever so slightly slower but cheaper, nvidia will play with the pricing. That's on the high end and lets say for arguments sake 10% of the market. Nvidia is winning performance wise on the cheap $100-140. I'm not sure what else they are planning there and dont expect to see refreshes till late Q1 2011 when AMD makes a move there but as it stands the GTX 460 768 is king there. IF nvidia releases the 560 cards (which I expect will easily beat 6850/6870) in the mainstream which is say 50% of the market at price and performance or a nice combination thereof then it'll be AMD who's in trouble. Who knows what will turn out but nvidia is in the right position as AMD's mainstream offerings have JUST come out and their high end are just about to come out and nvidia can answer in several ways. 6950 will be answered by GTX 570 (more than likely) Antilles by the GTX 595, 6850/6870 by GTX 560 v1 & v2.

Are those higher density memory chips? Otherwise, there aren't enough of them, are there?

Edit: Just read the Techpowerup article and they mention additional RAM on the back side of the card.

256MB x 6 = 1536 MB per gpu. So no those don't look particularly high density to me.
590 series = dual gpu.
The entire 500 series has just been nongimped versions of what Fermi should have been.
Even the 560 is a deliberately ungimped 460. With the 480/470/465 Nvidia had no choice because of the leakage and heat issues.

The question on my mind is this:
Will 4x 570 gpus (as I think the 590s will use) beat 3x 580 gpus that you could buy separately? I'm thinking the approximate cost will be the same - ($749x2) $1500 vs ($499x3) $1500.

Last edited:
@Lord
If Nvidia plays with the pricing to compete with the 69xx series, they'll be losing money.... Again. At this time, in order to recoup their loses, Nvidia needs to trounce AMD in performance/value; like AMD did them with 5xxx series. Being 5% faster isn't enough, particularly if your competitors price their components cheaper. Furthermore, IMHO, the 69xx is adding some new things to the table. I'm still waiting for Nvidia to add multi-monitor support to a single GPU, and this generation would have been a perfect opportunity to do so.

Also, It's great for the consumer that the 460 768mb is in the mid $100 range now, but that isn't benefiting Nvidia financially. Also, everything I've heard thus far seems to indicate that the 560 is only one card, but we shall see. It'll also be about 5 months behind the 68xx series (in a similar fashion tot he 68xx series prolonged release). However, I shall wait and see before passing judgment.

@Lord
If Nvidia plays with the pricing to compete with the 69xx series, they'll be losing money.... Again. At this time, in order to recoup their loses, Nvidia needs to trounce AMD in performance/value; like AMD did them with 5xxx series. Being 5% faster isn't enough, particularly if your competitors price their components cheaper. Furthermore, IMHO, the 69xx is adding some new things to the table. I'm still waiting for Nvidia to add multi-monitor support to a single GPU, and this generation would have been a perfect opportunity to do so.

Also, It's great for the consumer that the 460 768mb is in the mid $100 range now, but that isn't benefiting Nvidia financially. Also, everything I've heard thus far seems to indicate that the 560 is only one card, but we shall see. It'll also be about 5 months behind the 68xx series (in a similar fashion tot he 68xx series prolonged release). However, I shall wait and see before passing judgment.

See that's just it I'm not going to pass judgment nor am I, I'm making a speculative guess here based on rumors that should be taken with a grain of salt. If you follow this thread from the beginning which isn't that far back I'm predicting a GTX 590(High end single card to sell above GTX 580 for a profit) GTX 595(dual GF110)at same price range of Antilles, Dual GTX 560s as having a high end 570 to compete with the 6870 is not a good scenario or leaving the 6850 to compete against the GTX 460 1gb isn't a good scenario either. So far based on my early speculative guess and predictions they will be beaten in High/Mid/Low, they'll make money in some places, break even in others and lose nowhere thus increasing their marketshare and increasing profits at the same time. AMD isn't going to profit that much on Cayman also if the rumors of it's die size are correct. They are banking on the 6850/6870 to take them there and the low end in Q1. 2 segments Nvidia is going to be aggressively attacking with the 500 series onslaught

How will they not lose money anywhere when they're still selling/manufacturing the 400 series for substantially lower costs? The 470, an enthusiast card, is competing with a AMD mainstream card in price. Never mind that they're replacing cards that aren't even a year old yet? Don't expect AMD to start struggling is all I'm saying; whether or not the 500 series eats into its sales.

Last edited:
People saying that Nvidia is selling at a loss and AMD is making money should have a look at most recent quarterly earnings.

AMD's GPU business made 1 Mio. $ in profits.
Nvidia made over 80 mio in the last quater ended 2 weeks ago. That's more than what AMD was able to make over the whole 2010 period.

So please stop pulling Charlies crap about Nvidia making losses with the 460 and 470. This business is much more complex than just DIE size.
The numbers prove that Charlie is wrong and just an idiot inventing some crap in order to get webhits.My prediction for the next 3 quarters is that AMD is in trouble because Nvidia will join any pricewar AMD will start because they want to reinstate their position in the market after beeing several months late. They can afford this because they made plenty of money over the past years and are in no debt unlike AMD.
AMD had some nice 6 to 9 months but they will feel the pressure now. Cayman in the end as well as the 580 don't matter much but the disappointing Barts launch left the door for Nvidia really open. I still don't understand how AMD could release a mainstream offering that is not able to beat the 460OC models and that still struggles with a 5850. Of course the DIE is small and so on but the consumer in the end only cares about performance, features and image quality and software support in general at a certain price and as it is right now Nvidia offers great products at very competitive prices. The 560 will beat Barts based products that's for sure.

Last edited:
MD's GPU business made 1 Mio. $ in profits.
Nvidia made over 80 mio in the last quater ended 2 weeks ago. That's more than what AMD was able to make over the whole 2010 period.

1 million in profits!? I'm sorry, but that sounds like complete and utter BS. Where are your links...I definitely need to see this.

I still don't understand how AMD could release a mainstream offering that is not able to beat the 460OC models and that still struggles with a 5850
Say what?

http://techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6850_PCS_Plus/28.html

You realize that the 68xx series is the mainstream product, and the 5850 is an enthusiast product? Right?

Last edited:
People saying that Nvidia is selling at a loss and AMD is making money should have a look at most recent quarterly earnings.

AMD's GPU business made 1 Mio. $ in profits.

So please stop pulling Charlies crap about Nvidia making losses with the 460 and 470. This business is much more complex than just DIE size.
The numbers prove that Charlie is wrong and just an idiot inventing some crap in order to get webhits.My prediction for the next 3 quarters is that AMD is in trouble because Nvidia will join any pricewar AMD will start because they want to reinstate their position in the market after beeing several months late. They can afford this because they made plenty of money over the past years and are in no debt unlike AMD.
AMD had some nice 6 to 9 months but they will feel the pressure now. Cayman in the end as well as the 580 don't matter much but the disappointing Barts launch left the door for Nvidia really open. I still don't understand how AMD could release a mainstream offering that is not able to beat the 460OC models and that still struggles with a 5850. Of course the DIE is small and so on but the consumer in the end only cares about performance, features and image quality and software support in general at a certain price and as it is right now Nvidia offers great products at very competitive prices. The 560 beat Barts based products that's for sure.

*popcorn*

Another one insisting AMD's making shit for money and that the 68xx series were junk.

*popcorn*

Back