GTX 480 Owners Thread

No time to dust! Must kill.

Let me guess, the dust is actually the ashes of your slain foes.

Man, your wife's hand me down components are all better than mine! What do you play with her? Your Galaxy 480s are pretty interesting, so simply decorated, there isn't even anything on that piece of flat metal on the top of the heatsink. Thank goodness Fermi doesn't have too much surface area for companies to slap on their ugly graphics. The Galaxy 470 is actually quite attractive though.

Man, your wife's hand me down components are all better than mine! What do you play with her? Your Galaxy 480s are pretty interesting, so simply decorated, there isn't even anything on that piece of flat metal on the top of the heatsink. Thank goodness Fermi doesn't have too much surface area for companies to slap on their ugly graphics. The Galaxy 470 is actually quite attractive though.

She plays TF2, Dragon Age and Borderlands mostly. I would't call her stuff hand me down as getting her onto 5870 crossfire was part of the plan. We sold my 3 gtx285s and her gtx295 a month ago and bough the 5870s as a stop gap in case we wanted fermi. I figured the 5870s would have higher resale. She likes the 5870 so we just kept them. Nice thing is since she has the Antec p180 so the bottom card always gets too hot. I bet there will not be a problem with the 5870s, so we are tring that out. :) Her rig is pretty much the same as mine, but with a zalman 1000w PS, Vertex 60GB boot drive and P6T Deluxe v1 mobo.

If you want to see dust free pics, look at the buld log in my sig :)

Ashes of my slain foes, I like that.

Ok, so after a little Dirt 2, Metro 2033. Batman AA I'm having NO issues with noise but my setup is designed for loud rigs and I'm not that sensitive to the noise anyway. Temps peak around 90. Two monitors DEFINITELY raises idle temps 10 to 15 degrees.

If you are a SINGLE 280 owner this is a no brainer upgrade unless you want to go with an AMD part. For multi-GPU setups its going to be more complicated and unfortunately I don't have my other two cards yet. I'm building a new rig with a 1200W PSU and an Asus Rampage III so I'll be good, just need to find a case, especially for the Rampage III. Those double spaces slots are going to need the right case for three 480s.

Heatlesssun: As a 280 owner I'm very interested in what you've been putting up here. You even play at the same 1920X1200 I do. Just Cause 2 is pretty demanding is the message I'm getting here but that's definitely a hell of an upgrade. If I use those same settings you did on my 280 it's 20-25 fps tops and barely playable.

I'm pleased to see you make note of the noise although I do want to get more of a gauge on the heat. You're the second 280 owner that moved to a 480 owner that I've seen make that positive comparison which is encouraging.

I tend to put my 280's fans at 70 percent most of the time anyways and I'm getting the idea that my habits really won't change much when the time comes I finally get a 480 around here myself.

Thus far I'm VERY happy with this card. With all the jokes about the heat and noise I think its getting missed just how fast this bitch REALLY is. This card is about hella fast gaming, nothing else really.

The last remaining pieces of the puzzle, 3x SLI and multi-monitor. I really am expecting tremendous results from a 3x SLI multi-monitor setup. Might even go with 1920x1080 for 3D gaming, not sure.

This card is fast, it is hot, but not all that loud by itself unless its being purposely stressed like with Furmark. My initial conclusions from 3 hours with the card.

Like GoldenTiger said not a lot of difference. Don't know what you have you settings at but that must be bellow this. Really no reason not to run with the Bokeh filter on at 1920x1200 even with only one card I think.

Well it seems like there might be a performance issue (bizarre considering this is a TWIMTBP title) with the GTX 480 for this game, as my stock 5850 generates pretty similar numbers:

(Dark Tower)

Still, both cards perform great here, so it shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Alright, got some quick canned benchies and a Furmark run for noise and heat.

Just Cause 2 Everything at max for DX11 including Bokeh filter @ 4xAA :

Just%20Cause%202%20Benchmark%20-%20Concrete%20Jungle.jpg

Hm Im not a fan of the Bokeh filter in JC2 but staying above 30fps in Concrete Jungle with maxed out settings is pretty impressive.

I'm trying to find some info on how a 470 compares to a 285. I wouldn't mind getting a 470 for $349 if the performance difference between it and my 285 is great enough. I will eventually be going to 2 470's for 3d surround gaming once the monitors and drivers start to appear. Would love to see how the 470 compares to the 285 in codwaw, codmw2, fsx and bfbc2.

Thus far I'm VERY happy with this card. With all the jokes about the heat and noise I think its getting missed just how fast this bitch REALLY is. This card is about hella fast gaming, nothing else really.

The last remaining pieces of the puzzle, 3x SLI and multi-monitor. I really am expecting tremendous results from a 3x SLI multi-monitor setup. Might even go with 1920x1080 for 3D gaming, not sure.

This card is fast, it is hot, but not all that loud by itself unless its being purposely stressed like with Furmark. My initial conclusions from 3 hours with the card.

Furmark is going to take any card past the point of where any "normal gaming situation" is going to be but it's instructive in any event.

I'm going to keep watching out for you on real game results and if you think about it, please keep making as many direct to 280 comparisons as you can whenever possible because I and others are going to be lurking and watching. I don't want to post too much in this thread and get in the way since I don't own the card yet.

If nothing else, feel free to PM me any time you want. I'm looking for notes on anything: Performance, noise, heat, power, whatever. :)

Well it seems like there might be a performance issue (bizarre considering this is a TWIMTBP title) with the GTX 480 for this game, as my stock 5850 generates pretty similar numbers:

(Dark Tower)

Still, both cards perform great here, so it shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

FWIW: My lurking saw in the 480 SLI thread some surprisingly unremarkable numbers for an SLI config in Just Cause 2 that were VERY close to the numbers I'm seeing in Just Cause 2 here with a single card.

Just about everyone signed off on the idea that more mature drivers were going to open that all up pretty fast...and probably already have...and that JC2 itself maybe needs some kind of update down the road. In other words, there might be a tempoary SLI issue with JC2.

Side request: Heatless and/or others, could you run those Just Cause 2 benchmarks, or at least one of them of your choice, just as you did before except also have AA maxed out? Just for frame of reference since everything else is maxed out.

heatlesssun said:
My card is idling around 70° C with two monitors on.

interesting...i'm running dual monitors with the asus gtx480 and i'm idling around 81c. ambient temps in my case aren't high either. have you set up any custom fan profiles at all? i'm running it stock right now. I did a test last night and with a single monitor it will idle at 50c...i have to see what i can do to get that idle temp with dual monitors down into the 70c range like you

Here are a few pictures of my Gigabyte 480 that just arrived! :D Shiney box is shiney.

33mx1j4.jpg

25k20sn.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my Gigabyte 480 that just arrived! :D Shiney box is shiney.

[*IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/33mx1j4.jpg[/IMG]

[*IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/25k20sn.jpg[/IMG]

Nice shots, and yeah, the rainbow effect it made is funny :D.

Congrats! I'll be getting the same PSU for my new rig when I goto 3x SLI.

Thanks! It is a great psu and has a nice rebate right now.

I wouldn't feel comfortable at all running two of these cards with anything less than a 1KW unit. I just wanted a little head room.

is everyone all of a sudden rich???? :confused::confused::confused: :eek:

I bought these knowing that I was only doing it to test out SLI and the cards against my old 5970 crossfire X setup. I'll be selling both these cards and going back to my warercooled 8800 GT. :p

is everyone all of a sudden rich???? :confused::confused::confused: :eek:

I think what we're seeing the effects of: a) a long interval between nV cards, so the green fans have been saving up for a while b) the competion is holding it's value well, so those side-grading from 5870 to 480 can do so without a huge loss. c) better economy and people are ready to treat themselves seeing they've had their backs broken at work the past year since businesses have forced people to work more for the same money

Agreed on the Galaxys. I have them and really appreciate the toned-down galaxy design -- especially nice change from the recent cards I've owned. I think if there was a top 10 list of the worst sticker designs in the past 5 years, I would have owned all of them (the Sapphire dread-locked chick being the winner/loser).

I can imagine a Inno3D exec saying, the first time he saw fermi, "but where do we put the big-breasted valkyrie with the flaming orb? Most dishonorable..." :p

I think what we're seeing the effects of: a) a long interval between nV cards, so the green fans have been saving up for a while b) the competion is holding it's value well, so those side-grading from 5870 to 480 can do so without a huge loss. c) better economy and people are ready to treat themselves seeing they've had their backs broken at work the past year since businesses have forced people to work more for the same money

a) Yes
b) Yep
c) nope

I sold my two 5870s(NIB) and one 285GTX for $1100. That more than covered the cost of two Evga 480 SCs.

Well, I got the voltage tweaking thing set up on my GTX 470 (stock cooling still)...

With default voltage and 70% fan, I could reach a max of 720c/3520mem stable for hour-long BFBC2 gaming sessions.

With 1.012v (stock is 0.95v) and 73% fan (any higher gets audibly louder than the 70% mark, enough to annoy me), I am able to push to 800c/3650mem stable. Quite an overclock from the stock 607c/3348mem :D. I'm definitely running into heat issues on higher oc's... I can make it run at 860 on the core, but it inevitably gets too hot and crashes. I'd be curious to see how these would do under water.

i finally got some time to game with the card tonight ...bad company 2 ran super smooth at 2560x1600 with 4xMSAA and 16xAF...the card temp maxed out around 91c. i'm running dual monitors and it will idle at between 80 and 85c with the fan going at 60%. odd thing is though, when exiting a game the fan takes a while to go back down to 60% even though the card temp is below the 80c idle. why will it idle at 80c going at 60% but after a game it'll keep the fan spun up even though the temp is under what it normally idles at?

Damn i want a 480 but i have plans to go 3d surround by the end of the year and dont want 2 of those beasts in my machine so i guess ill have to go with a 470 now and then another one later this year as the 3d monitors start to become more available and mainstream. I just wish i could find some kind of comparison out there between a 285 which is what i use now and a 470.

These things are beasts... :eek: (73% fan, stock cooler, 1.012v core with soft volt tweaking):

gtx470ocfinal.png

dirt2proper.jpg

3dvgtx470-800c-3650memPhysxOFF.jpg

Last edited:
These things are beasts... :eek: (73% fan, stock cooler, 1.012v core with soft volt tweaking):

dirt2proper.jpg

Have Dirt 2 max out in game on the sig rig 8x QCSAA:

dirt2_game%202010-04-14%2020-16-25-45.jpg

Okay, this is this is ridiculous but a good ridiculous or I'm doing something wrong. GT, your numbers are better than Guru3D's for the 470 by about 20% but mine are almost 60% HIGHER than theirs. My rig is a little faster with more cores so maybe that's why. But this is about within 20% of THREE 280s!!!!!!!!! Same base rig too. Don't have the benches but it was getting around 140 or so average with MUCH lower minimum rates. Not only that this game really didn't run well with SLI, microstutter or whatever, its as plain as day. With 3 cards saw hitching UNLESS I turned vsync on. And it never happened with 1 280 but 1 280 could only this game at about 45 FPS anyway.

Last edited:
The tri 285s appear to beat the 480 SLI from the benchmarks. But in person how does it feel? Are the 480s smoother? How's microstutter? How do the noise and heat compare to the two different setups?

Will have my second 480 Monday! From my observation thus far 1 480 is VERY competitive with 3 280s, especially in newer games. Not doing a lot of comparisons but 2 480s will kill 3 285 in newer games is my guess.

Heatlesssun, I've yet to see a new review using the 197.41 drivers... our results are being shown on a lot of forums: massively overclockable, and much better than review performance, it's weird. I think it's drivers making the difference here... I know some review sites had higher results than others, but it seems too widespread a difference to be anomalies. My Dirt 2 was performing really badly at first, reinstalled the drivers and it skyrocketed, might need to run driver cleaner I'm thinking myself but it appears to be performing quite well so far :D. Other games are performing much better than reviews, for me though... my OC'd GTX 470 appears pretty darn competitive if not faster than many of the 5870 oc'd #'s I've seen, across the board.

anyone triple display gaming with the GF100 yet?

You need TWO of them to get triple monitor support to work with Nvidia cards. That's the main ripoff. I don't see why it would be so hard to implement on one card... ATI did it.

You need TWO of them to get triple monitor support to work with Nvidia cards. That's the main ripoff. I don't see why it would be so hard to implement on one card... ATI did it.

yeah - that is a heavy price tag and two more displays on top of that... but I am guessing no need for an active DP to DVI adapter. wooo. ;)

Back