GTX 470/480 Availability Report

piratepress

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got an email back from my company rep about availability of the new Nvidia cards. This is what he had to say: "The GTX 470’s and 480’s are being introduced end of this month however allocations are very minimal to begin with. They are expected to loosen up around the May time frame. We are forecasting for our distributors so if you would like to keep in touch I can help you stay aware of who may have product and how much they might have on hand. I’ll keep this e-mail and advise also when allocations may hit."

Wait I am confused. Wasn't there a report by one of the sites saying that there would be up to 50,000 cards available at launch (Apr 6th)? So is this saying that we won't see a decent supply until Mid-May?

Wait I am confused. Wasn't there a report by one of the sites saying that there would be up to 50,000 cards available at launch (Apr 6th)? So is this saying that we won't see a decent supply until Mid-May?

I don't know which site reported that, but as of now supply looks to be very limited.

I just cant wait for the benchmarks.

You and me both! There will be cards from what I hear but very few, more than the 5870 launch but not widely available/easy to get, just like other recent high-end launches. So, if it looks good, I'm pouncing on a 480 the second they hit a good vendor like newegg. If it looks "meh" I'll probably save some cash and grab a 470.

Last edited:
You and me both! There will be cards from what I hear but very few, more than the 5870 launch but not widely available/easy to get, just like other recent high-end launches. So, if it looks good, I'm pouncing on a 480 the second they hit a good vendor like newegg. If it looks "meh" I'll probably save some cash and grab a 470.

Same.

Got a feeling you'll be grabbing the 470:D

50,000 is a very small number in the video card world. ATI had to ship 2 million cards before we started to see the 5000-series consistently in-stock, and for the prices to come down from their absolutely outrageous highs ($380 for a 5850, $500 for a 5870).

Even if the number is as high as 50k, it will not be enough to meet demand. Cards will constantly be out-of-stock, and the prices will skyrocket.

I think people are already anticipating this, and are buying ATI cards in droves, as it would explain why the 5800-series price has gone up $20-30 in the last month. The price and availability were previously pretty stable, with the 5850 at $300, and the 5870 at $400. Right now, the cheaper cards are out-of-stock, so you have to pay extra if you want it now.

50,000 is a very small number in the video card world. ATI had to ship 2 million cards before we started to see the 5000-series consistently in-stock, and for the prices to come down from their absolutely outrageous highs ($380 for a 5850, $500 for a 5870).

Even if the number is as high as 50k, it will not be enough to meet demand. Cards will constantly be out-of-stock, and the prices will skyrocket.

I think people are already anticipating this, and are buying ATI cards in droves, as it would explain why the 5800-series price has gone up $20-30 in the last month. The price and availability were previously pretty stable, with the 5850 at $300, and the 5870 at $400. Right now, the cheaper cards are out-of-stock, so you have to pay extra if you want it now.

if it isn't that good as the rumor suggest, then 50k is more than enough to feed the market..

if nVidia somewhat pull the magic, then 50k will be like gold to everyone,...

didnt one or 2 of the anti nvidia columnists report that there would only be 2 or 3 thousand 480 chips available, ever?

The reports of 50,000 cards came from brightsideofnews.com - from what I've seen this guy is the polar opposite of Charlie.

I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125152
Just had a quick chat with our supplier, regarding pricing and availability of Fermi cards. They're currently one of the UK's largest importers/distributers so it's usefull to get info.

Nvidia are currently limiting availability to the biggest name brands, EVGA, XFX Asus etc, and they're also dictating which stores/retailers in the UK are able to recieve stock. No small manufacturers are expecting Fermi parts until May-June at the earliest. (Basically this means sites like Overclockers, Scan etc will have stock).

He couldn't give me any accurate pricing as the NDA has yet to be lifted, however, he did hint at around £379-399 for the 480 @ retail and about £269-289 for the 470. As stated tho, NO OFFICIAL PRICING yet.

Edit: Crap, sorry forgot the important bit. I asked when he reckons we can order some for, he said "No idea". I asked if stock levels are looking good, how many is he getting in? He said "Less than the last ATI launch, all stock for the first 2 shipments is allocated".

Didn't ATI have 100'000 cards at launch?

This is on par from what has been said for weeks upon weeks now. Very limited supply at launch, then they'll hit full stride in may/june.

Ya agreed buy a couple 480's double my money then wait for either real availability or a 512 shader release 480

Does that include OEM builders as well? Because you know DELL/Alienware and co. will snatch up a bunch.

Thats the whole thing right there on why it WON'T be available, hardly if at all. All the boutique builders will have it as well.

The 2,000,000 AMD figure is for the first 3 months of the 5000 series.

The 50,000 400-series rumor is for immediate availability for the first week. This figure would have been closer to 10,000 if they had stuck with 512 cores, again according to the rumor. Nvidia CEO has said production would ramp up and be at full production in Q2 (May-July).

whats the hurry? you guys have any games that are running slow? or do you just want/have to be the first kid on the bloack?

whats the hurry? you guys have any games that are running slow? or do you just want/have to be the first kid on the bloack?

Mostly I think it's fanboys who just want nvidia to win or lose, that's all.

less cards at release = paper release = more to laugh at.

Personally, I could not care less if my gfx card is red or green. My 8800 GTS is showing it's age and I just want some competition in the market to avoid paying an arm and a leg for a decent new card...

The clear lack of competition is what bugs me. Combined with a slew of other things (like poor yields, economic slump... etc) and what do we get? Limited availability of cards and a e-tailers charging an arm and a leg for the product.

Patiently, trying to wait for the 26th.

rofl... they are all burning-up at the factory. gotta be nuts to get fermi. :p

BSON is even less reliable than Charlie, which is hard to believe, but they've whiffed on their numbers time and time again (even the 20k for Cypress #).

From all indications though, the Fermi cards will be in very limited supply

Nvidia's words to Swedish retailers was that they will be allowed to sell Fermi starting April 6th. What are they going to launch on Saturday the 27th then?

The 50,000 400-series rumor is for immediate availability for the first week.

That's what the AIBs ordered, in what sounds like a terrible package deal that involves Nv getting rid of GT200 series stock.

Nvidia's words to Swedish retailers was that they will be allowed to sell Fermi starting April 6th. What are they going to launch on Saturday the 27th then?
They're launching paper.

That's what the AIBs ordered, in what sounds like a terrible package deal that involves Nv getting rid of GT200 series stock.

How else are they going to sell all those rebrands? Looks like OEM's didn't like it when Nvidia blamed them for all the rebrands they shoveled at them and they're not buying. So now they are forcing AIBs to buy these in quantity if they hope to get any Fermi allocation.

Whatever I refuse to pay over msrp. So if there's more limited availability than we hoped for then etailers will be gouging like crazy, fuck that. I refuse to overpay for a product since I don't want it or need it that bad. If I have to wait till may so be it. I ain't buying into this nonsense. I'm not gonna lie though, this does annoy me. Bleh.

The 480 is showing up on zipzoomfly.com if you search on google shopping for "fermi 480". Price is listed as 549.00. Although that price can change at any point and the link does not lead to a product page.

Weren't reviews and benches due in April? Tomorrow (26th) is the launch - words straight from Nvidia, launch.

So in reality they won't be mass available until September/October 2010. Great.

March 26

* Official GTX470/GTX480 NDA Expiration
* Launch date for North America
* Specifications are released
* Official pricing info is released
* NVIDIA Demos GTX470/GTX480
* Partners receive revised GTX470/GTX480 shipments (due to BIOS update and cooler change)

March 27

* Partners ship out cards to retailers
* Previews are released
* Launch date for Europe

March 29

* Shipping companies have partner shipments in transit
* Benchmarks officially posted
* Reviews are released

April 2

* Retailers receive shipments from partners
* Preorders are posted for online retailers

April 5

* Stock is put into inventory and paperwork is filed

April 6

* Online retailers post stock for GTX470/GTX480 cards

April 12

* GTX470/GX480 hit the selves for stores (Microcenter, etc...)
* Orders are officially online and purchasable

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/691903-gf100-date-confusion-see-here.html

Back