GTX 470/480 Availability Report

March 26

* Official GTX470/GTX480 NDA Expiration
* Launch date for North America
* Specifications are released
* Official pricing info is released
* NVIDIA Demos GTX470/GTX480
* Partners receive revised GTX470/GTX480 shipments (due to BIOS update and cooler change)

March 27

* Partners ship out cards to retailers
* Previews are released
* Launch date for Europe

March 29

* Shipping companies have partner shipments in transit
* Benchmarks officially posted
* Reviews are released

April 2

* Retailers receive shipments from partners
* Preorders are posted for online retailers

April 5

* Stock is put into inventory and paperwork is filed

April 6

* Online retailers post stock for GTX470/GTX480 cards

April 12

* GTX470/GX480 hit the selves for stores (Microcenter, etc...)
* Orders are officially online and purchasable

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/691903-gf100-date-confusion-see-here.html

Interesting timeline there. I didn't goto the link but, is that offical nvidia public info, or leaked internal info or just rumor?

Interesting timeline there. I didn't goto the link but, is that offical nvidia public info, or leaked internal info or just rumor?

Member on the site that has talked with BM, online Retailers, and NV.

Why bother with a release event tomorrow if they don't have benchmarks until Monday? I know they're trying to tie this in with PAX East, but I feel kinda shortchanged that there will be no benches.

Guess I've got to wait until Monday for anything useful then.

Woah...there's going to be a major shortage of cards if this is true and some major price gouging that will probably make the 5xxx price gouging look fairly insignificant.

Not only is that a low amount to launch with worldwide but also TSMC are the bottleneck and now they're splitting their wafers between Nvidia and AMD, so supply could be a major problem for a while to come, may might even be a bad estimate, it took AMD at least 3 monthsto get things moving we might see that again here. There is still an absolutely heinous amount of price gouging in the UK where these cards are like gold dust.

If supply is going to be limited and price gouging ensues, it might be a good idea to be an early adopter, much like the release of the 5800 series. I've seen some pre-orders going around locking around the $510 price mark, still lower than the $549 MSRP.

So which game, currently on the market, can we not play on existing hardware? I'm not sure why people are so impatient about this...

So which game, currently on the market, can we not play on existing hardware? I'm not sure why people are so impatient about this...

Cause my current card is not hacking it up. I guess I could be a bad example since I didn't get a new card since 2006.

Cause my current card is not hacking it up. I guess I could be a bad example since I didn't get a new card since 2006.

Oh I see, you've been holding out for this generation, and you desperately need an upgrade. I always assume that people keep up.

Can I ask you a question though. If you haven't upgraded since 2006, why did you pass up on the GTX 260 or 275?

Even I bought one of those. They were sort of gimped cards, but they were dirt cheap. And honestly, my GTX 275 has handled everything that I've thrown at it. There's not one game on the market at present that I can't play at max settings. I'll be buying either the GTX 480 or a 5970 sometime this summer, but I almost feel guilty about doing so. I'm only going to be seeing a noticeable improvement in a handful of titles. Crowat, I don't know what type of system you've got, but I think I could make the case that you'd be better off buying a GTX 275 - you could buy one right now at a rock bottom price and save yourself literally hundreds of dollars, not to mention that you'd have the card by next week.

By the way, is there anybody here whose primary application isn't gaming? I'm a gamer, and I just assume that people are gaming with these cards? Yes? No?

Oh I see, you've been holding out for this generation, and you desperately need an upgrade. I always assume that people keep up.

Can I ask you a question though. If you haven't upgraded since 2006, why did you pass up on the GTX 260 or 275?

Even I bought one of those. They were sort of gimped cards, but they were dirt cheap. And honestly, my GTX 275 has handled everything that I've thrown at it. There's not one game on the market at present that I can't play at max settings. I'll be buying either the GTX 480 or a 5970 sometime this summer, but I almost feel guilty about doing so. I'm only going to be seeing a noticeable improvement in a handful of titles.

By the way, is there anybody here whose primary application isn't gaming? I'm a gamer, and I just assume that people are gaming with these cards? Yes? No?

Nope, not really holding out for a special card generation. There were other things (income, job situation, free time to play games, travel for work, family) that kept me away from playing on my desktop. I considered getting a 260 when the 216 iteration came out but never bit the bullet. At this point it would seem silly to get a 5870 w/out at least waiting a week to see what nvidia pulls out of it's sleeve.

I'm not primarily gaming, I'm primarily folding. If these have little to no advantage in F@H, I'll be heading the way of a 9800GT to boost F@H and act secondarily as a dedicated physx card. If the 470 can greatly out-fold the GTX 275, I'm sold.

RAM prices were ridiculous back then. I recall picking up a 4GB kit for $350 for DDR!!!

This tech guy once told me that there had been a fire at one of the RAM factories in Japan or someplace, and that RAM prices, as the result, soared through the roof. The interesting thing, he said, was that the increased prices also sent the stocks of these companies soaring through the roof - so that could be a potential business strategy: burn down one of the factories to cause the demand to outweigh the supply. Has anybody here heard of Cabbage Patch Kids - they did the same thing with those. They're doing the same thing right now with the 5970 - although I doubt it was intentional.

December 2006 - $439.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071

From my understanding (or poor memory) the card was not the best but the second best nVidia had out at the time.

Lol looking at the invoice makes me feel silly... I paid 269 for 2x1GB of corsair DDR2....

I bought an 8800GTS 320 for $310 back then (well, early 07). Paid $175 for 2x1GB of G.Skill and that was one of the cheapest 2GB kits Egg had at the time.

Just read over at guru3d, hillbert claims he has 30 pages of content so far for his extensive gtx470/480 review set to go after the pax event tomorrow night. I'm looking foward to that but I'm more interested in Kyle's review first. Can we expect an extensive review here after pax guys? I really hope so. :)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3512471&postcount=23

Thats cause Hilbert puts a few words and one chart on each page. He does that for more pageviews. :rolleyes: In fact I hate reading his reviews cause they are just so dragged out.

I'm not primarily gaming, I'm primarily folding. If these have little to no advantage in F@H, I'll be heading the way of a 9800GT to boost F@H and act secondarily as a dedicated physx card. If the 470 can greatly out-fold the GTX 275, I'm sold.

This is where I'm at.

How much of a performance gain will I get moving from a GTX 275 to a GTX 480.

My titles that aren't running perfectly at maxed out settings, with at least 4x AA, at 1920x1080, on a Core i7 are:

Crysis and Crysis Warhead (both with the texture packs)
Stalker Call Of Pripyat
Stalker Clear Sky
Just Cause 2 (I have to drop the AA to zero, and one of the shadow settings to medium)
Need For Speed Shift - gets just a little bit choppy at times.
GTA 4 - runs well, but I'd like just a few more frames. I've really dropped the draw distance settings too.

I haven't touched Metro 2033, but I'm guessing that my GTX 275 will struggle at max settings.

Most of these titles are running almost perfectly, but I find that things like Ambient Occlusion, and notching up the AA, can kill the frames. I don't know, I guess I'm just trying to stay ahead of the curve, since I find it depressing when a game doesn't run well.

My GTX 275 is still a kick ass card - every other game I own runs like cake. I'm probably getting ahead of myself here with the GTX 480, but it's also kind of fun to be out there on the edge.

Just read over at guru3d, hillbert claims he has 30 pages of content so far for his extensive gtx470/480 review set to go after the pax event tomorrow night. I'm looking foward to that but I'm more interested in Kyle's review first. Can we expect an extensive review here after pax guys? I really hope so. :)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3512471&postcount=23

35 pages of content for his review? That would make my skull hurt. Looking forward to [H]'s real world review.

Guru3D does good work, they say its good I'd be shock that [H] would come to a dramatically good conclusion.

Guys, from emails for folks I'm getting this thing is fast, it's not blowing the 5870 out of the water but as I was told which doesn't mean anything I know this thins is "significantly faster". It's going to be a very desireable card. Now AMD should have refresh on the way but my guess that will just put it at parity with Fermi and then we have 512 Fermis to counter.

They wouldn't give me any specific info on heat and noise other than it shouldn't be a problem.

Just passing along another rumor but my 3 280s will be for sale soon!:D

That 50k of cards is that for the USA or for the whole world?

I say just let Santa know cuz thats how long it might take...

I don't think that anybody is going to add anything of substance to any one of these threads until somebody posts a link to a review with benchmarks. These threads have contained nothing but pure speculation from people. All we're reading about here are people's hopes and fears. That's pretty much it.

I don't think that anybody is going to add anything of substance to any one of these threads until somebody posts a link to a review with benchmarks. These threads have contained nothing but pure speculation from people. All we're reading about here are people's hopes and fears. That's pretty much it.

Ya true enough but hopes and fears and speculation ids one thing. Pure flame enticing drivel is another and I'm just so tired of morons posting crap and getting away with it.

So...........

when exactly is the NDA expiration on this deal?

Tonight? Today?

I'm anxious to see what this thing can or cannot do.

Would be pretty nice if its a great performer. Last card I bought was an 8800GTX waaaay back when, and its served me well all these years (and I wasnt reamed too hard for being an early adopter). Maybe its time to fork over some extra and do another big upgrade.

From B3D Fermi thread:

Speaking of which, Marc says there should be 200 GTX 470s and 200 GTX 480s at launch in France. Yes, you read that right, that's four hundred total.

The population in France is about 65 million, just for reference. Perhaps that means we can expect (310/65) × 400 = about 1900 cards in the US...

I heard the same numbers for other countries, but in a 2:1 ratio for 470 versus 480. basically 50 cards per brand per country, for those kinds of markets.

doesnt look good....

Last edited:
Thanks.

Dumb question, but what is PAX? Some trade show of some sort?:cool:

http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/index.php

PAX East is a three-day game festival for tabletop, videogame, and PC gamers. We call it a festival because in addition to dedicated tournaments and freeplay areas we've got nerdcore concerts, panel discussions, and an exhibitor hall filled with booths displaying the latest from top game publishers and developers. Even with all this amazing content the best part of PAX East is hanging out with other people who know their shit when it comes to games.

http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/index.php

PAX East is a three-day game festival for tabletop, videogame, and PC gamers. We call it a festival because in addition to dedicated tournaments and freeplay areas we've got nerdcore concerts, panel discussions, and an exhibitor hall filled with booths displaying the latest from top game publishers and developers. Even with all this amazing content the best part of PAX East is hanging out with other people who know their shit when it comes to games.

Snacks and drinks? j/k
I googled just after I posted that, it's in Boston, correct?

Is 6PM when nvidia takes the wrapper off? In other words, if I come back here at 6PM I should be able to see the [H] review, right?

Snacks and drinks? j/k
I googled just after I posted that, it's in Boston, correct?

Is 6PM when nvidia takes the wrapper off? In other words, if I come back here at 6PM I should be able to see the [H] review, right?

Yes Boston, Massachusetts. Don't know if [H] will post or not. I do know a few other sites have theirs ready and just waiting for the time to past.

Back