GTX 295

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Is anyone using a GTX 295 on here.

I have tried it seems like a milltion things but cannot get mine to fold on the second core.

Just seeing what others with this card are doin.

theres a couple people with them i think.. and i think they were running into the same problems.. i think you have to run a dummy plug on the second DVI port and extend the desktop to the second monitor to get the second gpu to fold.. or if you have two monitors.. then you dont need the dummy plug..

notice i said i think a lot.. because im guessing on this..

sirmonkey1985 is correct, if you are using windows xp you have to extend the desktop to any other gpus in order to get them folding to do this will need to have a second monitor hooked up or a dummy vga plug installed. If you are using vista then the dummy vga plug will have to remain installed even after the desktop is extended.

Well I have three monitors connected to it and its extended. Ive been through all that jazz.

I was just seeing if this is common problem with the 295's because they are so new.

Are you able to run only on the second core or does that EUE also?
I'd try only running one client on the second. If that only ends up with EUEs, I'd suspect a faulty core/memory.

Even though I don't fold for the [H]orde, I am using 2 x GTX 295s together in one box successfully with four cores folding simultaneously. Average PPD over the past few days has been 24,000. Right now it's estimated at 4 x 7000 PPD or 28,000 PPD.

Here is the config:

1 x Asus GTX 295 in slot 1
1 x BFG GTX 295 in slot 3
EVga 680i CK-122 MB (the original version) with nVidia forceware chipset drivers (the latest)
2 GB RAM
1 x E6300 C2D processor @ stock speeds
1 x 300 GB IDE hard disk
1 OCZ ProStream 1000W PSU
Windows 2003 32 bit with SP2

nVidia 181.20 ForceWare
nForce chipset drivers (the latest)
GPU2 6.23 CONSOLE/command line/service client using nvidia core 1.19

I did NOT turn off SLI as advised usually with nVidia multi GPU boards. I have not extended the desktop and have only ONE monitor connected through VGA on the first card (Asus GTX 295) on port 1. In fact, in this config, I have not touched nV control panel (funny enough).

I simply installed the Asus board in the EVGA MB, allowed driver detection, rebooted and activated clients 1 and 2. This worked.

I then shut down, installed the BFG board and then booted up finishing driver detection. I then rebooted one more time and activated the services for clients 3 and 4. I checked GPU-Z and saw that all cores clocks for GPU, memory and shaders were showing up. If the "shader" clock is not showing up, you have a problem with that card. A reboot should fix it, but if it doesn't, a driver re-install might be a good idea.

Here is the command line flags straight from the client initialization of my FIRST client:

Arguments: -svcstart -d C:\Program Files\F@H_GPU2_01 -gpu 0 -forcegpu nvidia_g80

The other clients are identical except for the -gpu flag (-gpu 1, -gpu 2, -gpu 3) respectively corresponding to the gpu number. Each client has a unique machine ID. First one is 2, second 4, third 6, fourth 8. As long as these are unique and the binaries are in their own directories this should work.

So anyway, it CAN be done. Post up your hardware and software configs as well as GPU2 client versions, flags and core version, and any errors you are getting (ie. UNSTABLE_MACHINE, client-core errors, etc....) and hopefully I can help you get the second client up.

I am thinking that using Windows 2003 SP2 seems to be a little "dumber" than XP or Vista in terms of detecting monitors, as it doesn't seem to care about monitors or dummy plugs connected.

Cheers.

Is anyone using a GTX 295 on here.

I have tried it seems like a milltion things but cannot get mine to fold on the second core.

Just seeing what others with this card are doin.

Could it be that this marks the end to the no sli problem?!

OMG! can some one please confirm this........

BTW, does it produce a crazy amount of heat or is it better on that because of the die shrink?

@10e

Ok well i was using the systray version but ill try the console, I would actually like that better anyway.

When doing the config did you select to install as a service? I saw the -svcstart flag in your post and wondered why you need that?

For hardware im using my Workstation in my sig.
Software I have a clean Vista, and a clean Windows 7 Install.

Could it be that this marks the end to the no sli problem?!

OMG! can some one please confirm this........

BTW, does it produce a crazy amount of heat or is it better on that because of the die shrink?

Heat is manageable because the motherboard I'm using has extra space between the cards, so no heat transfer is happening from the lower to the upper card. I'm not watercooling or anything, but the side window has been replaced by a large air filter allowing free flow of air right into the case. The GPUs were averaging in the low 80s last time I checked 'em, after full tilt folding for an hour.

I'll re-check the config to see if SLI is enabled or not, but since that box never had a GTX 295 on it before, I don't see why it would be disabled, so I would assume it is ON. But wouldn't want to assume too much :)

@10e

Ok well i was using the systray version but ill try the console, I would actually like that better anyway.

When doing the config did you select to install as a service? I saw the -svcstart flag in your post and wondered why you need that?

For hardware im using my Workstation in my sig.
Software I have a clean Vista, and a clean Windows 7 Install.

I am using the service option, but this does not work under Vista, and I am (once again) assuming under Windows 7. This means you'd have to open a command prompt, go to the folding directory of each client, and manually start it, in your case, twice.

Maybe you could also script it as a login script for your user account with a .bat or .cmd file referenced via your user account.

I don't see anything weird in your hardware config. I know from the ATI folding world, many users have had difficulty getting a 4870x2 folding on both cores too which is weird, because crossfire is required, and it's enabled by default on the vid card. I haven't checked lately if this has been fixed. You may want to experiment with SLI on and off with the new clients and see what happens.

The nice part with the console client is that you don't have to play with shortcuts and specifying work directories. It will simply use the one it's in, and cause you no issues as long as the machine IDs are not the same in each directory.

Well I switched to XP 32bit to see if it work, and I can get it to fold on the second core :D

But it wont fold on the first core:mad:

Just got my first gtx295 folding yesterday. Had lots a trouble getting to fold on the second core. Under vista, the second core would error constantly, under xp as soon as I unlinked SLI and restarted XP would blue screen and restart. Finally moved the card to another computer and it worked fine under XP so I guess for me it was just hardware issues with the first computer. The nonworking computer was an MSI P35 based motherboard with a Pentium D 915 and 750W Corsair PS. The Working computer was an Nvidia 650i based motherboard with a Pentium Dual Core 1.6GHz and 610W Enlight PS.

Yea I guess the card just doesnt like my 5000x chipset its the only thing I can think of .

Looks like the GTX295s are very finicky cards. I wonder why since the GX2 is a breeze to get both cores running on a variety of different setups, and many folders have successfully employed farms worth of those cards. :confused:

This kinda bothers me as I'm planning a small farm with 295's :(

Plus my sig rig is about to be updated to 295's as well :( :(

I am also having this issue. Ive tried everything now, well everything you guys have suggested. I can only fold on 1 core. The second one gets the EUE error. If I close it and restart it, it will run again, but i cant sit at the computer 24/7 doing that. I wish someone would come up with something. My specs are in my sig.

Has anyone pinged nVidia regarding this? They pretty proud of their folding team and I wonder if they have a clue how to get it working?

Hmm. Just popped over to the FF and there are quite a few threads over here. 1, 2, & 3.

Seems as if a few people have built similar folding boxen and had the same problem as you.

Anyone know what an HDMI dummy plug looks like and how to make/buy one?

Hmm. Just popped over to the FF and there are quite a few threads over here. 1, 2, & 3.

Seems as if a few people have built similar folding boxen and had the same problem as you.

I can tell you that is not going to fix it because I am driving three monitors on mine and I have the issue

It sounds like they're using a HDMI-DVI adapter, a DVI-VGA adapter, and a VGA dummy plug. See the second link at FF. My favorite source for adapters is MonoPrice.

Why doesn't someone just sell the vga dummy plug? I'm lazy and would rather just buy one :)

Ive got a dummy plug and I am still having issues. I can fold with both cores several wu and then eue. I close the program and restart it, can fold a few more, or not, it just eue's whenever it wants. Ive just downloaded it again and am going to try a fresh install of drivers and F@H. If it doesnt work this time Im done folding until F@H or Nvidia release a fix.

I already know that it's probably not a temperature issue but will ask anyway. Does this problem diminish if the card is run at stock speeds? What about underclocking?

nVidia says it's a driver issue... time will tell
someone said "HDMI port needs to be initiated, since it is assigned GPU1, whereas the DVI ports are both assigned GPU0."

I already know that it's probably not a temperature issue but will ask anyway. Does this problem diminish if the card is run at stock speeds? What about underclocking?

Ive tried stock speeds, and overclocking, fan at 100% fan at Auto run. I will attempt to underclock it and try. I honestly believe its a driver issue and Nvidia will release something soon to fix it.

Based on the reading (and yes I did read that entire 12 page thread), it looks as if Forceware 185.x Betas were solving the problem. Have you given that driver a try?

1. What 12 page thread, i want to read this?
2. Where could you find 185.xx drivers I cant find anything higher than 180.22

Just got my dual GTX295s running. Config: Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard, single 2GB DDR2 stick of RAM, Corsair TX 850W Power supply, Pentium Dual Core E2140 OC'd to 3.2GHz, 181.22 driver, Win XP, SLI disabled, no dummy plugs, desktop extended. Current PPD from rig is 26587 with wu credits: 384,384,353,511 currently running. CPU usage is at 0% :)

Just got my dual GTX295s running. Config: Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard, single 2GB DDR2 stick of RAM, Corsair TX 850W Power supply, Pentium Dual Core E2140 OC'd to 3.2GHz, 181.22 driver, Win XP, no dummy plugs, desktop extended. Current PPD from rig is 26587 with wu credits: 384,384,353,511 currently running. CPU usage is at 0% :)

Is sli enabled or not?

Just got my dual GTX295s running. Config: Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard, single 2GB DDR2 stick of RAM, Corsair TX 850W Power supply, Pentium Dual Core E2140 OC'd to 3.2GHz, 181.22 driver, Win XP, SLI disabled, no dummy plugs, desktop extended. Current PPD from rig is 26587 with wu credits: 384,384,353,511 currently running. CPU usage is at 0% :)
What kinds of units are you running to get that amount of PPD?

Well I have figured out a few things.

It wasnt my drivers or my configuration.

For some reason this card just does not like my computer

I took the card to a friends house and put it in, and was up and running two GPU console clients with minutes.
Took the card home, fresh install of windows 32bits, new drivers, and same problems as before.

It wasnt my drivers or my configuration.

For some reason this card just does not like my computer

I took the card to a friends house and put it in, and was up and running two GPU console clients with minutes.
Took the card home, fresh install of windows 32bits, new drivers, and same problems as before.
Did you try changing some settings in the motherboard BIOS?

Yea I tried everything, believe me.

I took everything out of the system except what was needed to function.

I ran one processor, 1 stick of ram, no cd, 1 hard drive no raid, no raid card, ide mode, AHCI mode, didnt matter.

Back