GTX 1080 cannot send signal through displayport

hv43082

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just picked up a pair of Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080's. Every time I try to use the displayport to power my LG34UM94 (native 3440x1440) resolution, I would not get a signal and only black screen. A few times there was "out of range" error and black screen. Switch to HDMI and it's working fine in single or SLI mode. However, HDMI is limited to 50Hz at this resolution. I tried displayport to minidisplayport and connect the minidisplayport to thunderbolt on my monitor and there is no signal. Inside NVIDIA control panel, the only connector recognized is HDMI even when the displayport is connected.

Some of the solutions I tried:
-Switch to another displayport cable = no signal.
-Switch to a different video card and use displayport = perfect signal. I used to power this monitor with GTX 980 SLI without issues.
-Updated to latest nvidia driver (372.54) as of this moment = no signal from displayport.
-Update windows to latest patch, etc = no signal from displayport.

Of note, I have the same issue with a founder edition GTX 1080 prior to this. I checked Nvidia forum and seems like the displayport will work for some and not others. No consensus on solutions.

Does any forum member have a solution or suggestion for this problem? Thanks in advance.

Spec:
-CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.6 Ghz
-Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro
-16GB of ram
-Sound card: Asus Xonar DX
-PSU: Corsair 1200W
-GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080's in SLI
-Monitor: LG34UM94.

You probably don't have a VESA compliant Displayport cable. Either that or your cable is too long and you need a larger gauge cable. Although that usually causes flickering with displayport, not no image, so your issue sounds like a live 20 pin in your DP cable.

Startech's cables (newest revision ones sold from their website) I know are fully VESA compliant, and also don't cost an arm and a leg for gauges up to 26awg, which is as high as you can go before you have to start dropping potentially $100s on higher gauge cable like 24awg.

This is the same DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor and worked with GTX 980's. Did the VESA standard change with the GTX 1000's series?

Since you got 2 1080 cards, the chance of both being faulty is minuscule. I would try a different DP cable. Just borrow one from someone.

The 20th pin live issue is one of the awful design flaws in DP.

You probably don't have a VESA compliant Displayport cable. Either that or your cable is too long and you need a larger gauge cable. Although that usually causes flickering with displayport, not no image, so your issue sounds like a live 20 pin in your DP cable.

Startech's cables (newest revision ones sold from their website) I know are fully VESA compliant, and also don't cost an arm and a leg for gauges up to 26awg, which is as high as you can go before you have to start dropping potentially $100s on higher gauge cable like 24awg.

Well I bought a Belkin cable that was certified according to displayport VESA standard. Still no signal. Now I get the "out of range" error whenever I select displayport input. The HDMI is still working fine but limited to 50Hz. Any other suggestions?

After some googling, I think the problem is that the displayports on GTX 1080 are sending usual refresh rate (24 Hz, etc) that the monitor will not recognize. As such there is no signal and I get the "out of range" error message. I think out of range means the refresh is outside the rate supported by the monitor itself. This behavior does not seem to occur with HDMI port as there was no issue powering the LG 3440x1440 at 30 Hz or 50 Hz (as per NVIDIA control panel) or my Sharp TV at 1920x1080 at 60 Hz. I got the same problem with a Zotac GTX 1080 founder edition and the "out of range" error. I believe this is a firmware/GPU bios issue.

Is this the same monitor that you have. It may need a firmware update. Might have to contact LG support.

No, mine is an Acer GSync. The issue just sounds fairly similar.

I also tried a different monitor with a DVI to DP adapter and it has similar problems.

After some googling, I think the problem is that the displayports on GTX 1080 are sending usual refresh rate (24 Hz, etc) that the monitor will not recognize. As such there is no signal and I get the "out of range" error message. I think out of range means the refresh is outside the rate supported by the monitor itself. This behavior does not seem to occur with HDMI port as there was no issue powering the LG 3440x1440 at 30 Hz or 50 Hz (as per NVIDIA control panel) or my Sharp TV at 1920x1080 at 60 Hz. I got the same problem with a Zotac GTX 1080 founder edition and the "out of range" error. I believe this is a firmware/GPU bios issue.

If that is the case, run teamviewer on the rig and remote in thru teamviewer on yer phone and maybe you can change the rez/refresh remotely?

No, mine is an Acer GSync. The issue just sounds fairly similar.

I also tried a different monitor with a DVI to DP adapter and it has similar problems.

That's interesting. I have the Acer 32" 4k G Sync version and have no issues like this. Does the bios screen ever display or is it always a blank screen.

That's interesting. I have the Acer 32" 4k G Sync version and have no issues like this. Does the bios screen ever display or is it always a blank screen.

BIOS screen only comes up if the monitor is not in "sleep" mode, otherwise no signal even into Windows. Have to essentially reboot the computer. If I turn on the monitor and then immediately turn on the PC, it works, other than the BIOS and Windows boot taking more than twice as long.

Well, I picked up an Asus PG348Q and the displayport output is working fine. No issues at all even at 100 Hz. I am guessing that this is a compatibility issue with LG monitor since this was the first 3440x1440 that became available in US. I am sending LG an inquiry email and let's see what they say.

I have similar problems with my 1080. It doesn't start up monitors connected via DP or HDMI until it gets to the Windows login prompt, and the DisplayPort ports seem to be really finnicky. You have to get the cable inserted just right for them to work at all.

My card is a Founder's Edition, so I wonder if maybe nVidia got a supply of slightly out of spec ports, or the port is deliberately manufactured to the loose end of the spec, such that cables made similarly loose don't connect well.

At any rate, I have an AmazonBasics brand cable coming in the mail today; I'll test with it, and report back if it fixes the problem.

I picked up an Asus PG348Q and the DisplayPort works just fine with these cards. Must be some sort of hardware incompatibility. LG technician is coming out this weekend to replace the mainboard of the monitor. Will see what happens next.

Last edited:
I have Asus Free Sync 144Hz 1440p monitor and i have same issue.

1. I used r390x crossfire setup with it before i replaced it with Evga FTW 1080 card.
2. There is simply no signal however since i run two monitor setup (work reasons), second monitor connected via DVI was recognized.
3. I did fresh install of Windows 10 and my primary monitor 144Hz did not turn on until i installed nvidia drivers and everything works ok now, however if i reboot machine or i am in bios that screen is simply black.
4. I can live with it since i have second monitor to do bios changes or anything outside Windows, and once i am in Windows monitor turns on.

I believe it is incompatibility issue and video card most likely needs firmware upgrade.

No problem while gaming and monitor and card work perfectly together.

Luka, try disabling Fast Boot in your BIOS. That will allow devices more time to initialize and be recognized at startup.

Well, I picked up an Asus PG348Q and the displayport output is working fine. No issues at all even at 100 Hz. I am guessing that this is a compatibility issue with LG monitor since this was the first 3440x1440 that became available in US. I am sending LG an inquiry email and let's see what they say.

My LG 3440x1440 works perfectly with my old ass Radeon 290 :)

GTX 660 with 24/7 DP monitor works great. Plug in HDMI for TV next to desk..works great. Leave HDMI cable plugged in even though it is disabled in NVidia control panel after reboot and TV off ...black screen on DP monitor cant see logon screen. Turning monitor off and back on doesn't fix it.

Only way to have it work proper is leave HDMI connected TV unplugged from video card until I actually want to use it. PITA

My LG 3440x1440 works perfectly with my old ass Radeon 290 :)

Mine also worked perfectly with GTX 980's. This must be some sort of incompatibility with GTX 1080 or the displayport on the LG is broken from the time I remove the GTX 980's to the time I installed the GTX 1080's (3 months gap).

Obvious, unless it isn't. Make sure your display port in is the correct port on your monitor. I had a similar issue at the last LAN party and realized after a few tries I was connecting to the display port out (instead of in) on my Dell 3014.

There are hundreds of reports of this happening all over the net from various cards AND manufactuers. mine is the same way. I have to use the EVGA founders edition non dual link adapter plugged in AND my display port to get it to boot to windows.
Then once windows is booted, I have to unplug the DVI adapter so my card doesn't think it's drawing too two screens, made a huge fPS difference. It's really pissing me off, I have an older Asus VG248 which is DP 1.1, and it seems that is the issue, even though'
my DP cable is 1.2. Worried about wearing out the one DP socket, So I found another workaround that says just to unplug the monitor power till your windows is booted, then plug the power cord back in.
Nvidia and 3rd parties need to get off their butt's and get BIOS updates out for the cards that won't return the sleep signal on 1.1 DP monitors. I'll return the card before I have to buy a new monitor.

So, I tried the unplugging my monitor trick. My windows boots in 48 seconds, so at the post screen I unplugged my monitor, waited one minute, and bamn, there was windows waiting for me, So it's definatly an issue on NVIDIAS end and I hope they can get a fix put in asap.

Back