GT300 Release?

galdoes16

Gawd
Is the 300 series going to be out within 82 days from now? I'm wondering if I should wait and step up to 300 if possible, or go with a 285 right now.

Is the 300 series going to be out within 82 days from now? I'm wondering if I should wait and step up to 300 if possible, or go with a 285 right now.

no one know but I would not bet money on it. from what has been said it may come out but in such limited supply for for a while that I would not count on the step up programs.

Performance numbers should come up around NVIDIA's GPU conference from 30th September and October 2nd. Most rumors point to a release around the time Windows 7 launches. As for mass availability, it's hard to know. The first thing you need to do, as soon as the products are announced and NDA is lifted, is to check if the set-up is valid for those new cards and if it is, it doesn't matter if there's mass availability or not, since you stepped-up in the period you were allowed to and are eligible to get a card, even if you may need to wait a bit to get one.

I have until November 29th to step up. I know it's going to go down to the wire.

Nobody really knows yet. The earlier rumors all said sometime in November, but recent rumors suggest that Nvidia are having yield problems and that GT300 won't be here until 1Q 2010 or even later.

I'd say wait a couple weeks at least and see what happens. If Nvidia has an answer to the 5870, I'd bet that some info will "leak out" somehow in the coming week. On the other hand, if the 5870 comes out and we hear no real response from Nvidia, "official" or otherwise, then there's a good chance they won't have a competing product for a while.

Does anyone know roughly, the price range for the top end GT300 card thanks?

I would guess that any pricing depends on when and how good AMD's stuff is. If I had to wager, I'd say about $500 for the top-end 'GTX 380' and $400 for the 'GTX 360'. I'd think that they'll launch with two parts and probably have two more, lower-end ones rather quickly.

Considering how large the chip is, and how poor the yields are likely to be (TSMC 40nm node isn't known for being great) I'd think they will need to do a lot of salvage parts. I'd assume that there won't be another six-hundred and fifty dollar pricing fiasco like there was the the GTX 280.

I've heard things about a dual ASIC card as well, so who knows what that one will cost. It's really just way too early to tell and we don't know much. What we do supposedly know come from pretty unreliable (Fudo, Theo Valich) to extremely biased (Charlie Demerjian) sources.

All I think that can be safely assumed is that the GT 300 GPU will be faster than the RV870, it will arrive rather late, supplies will most likely be tight, and it will be more expensive than the AMD part. Everything else is up in the air.

A hint that the GT300 might arrive sooner than doom sayers are hoping. :p
Post 92
Heh. I actually now have a pretty good idea when Nvidia's next gen GPUs are coming out. The forums shall now be a source of immense frustration for me. :cry:

Ya nVidia has been extremely tight lipped. They haven't said when or what it'll be and so on and so forth. Now this could mean they've got something real nice, and they want it to hit like a bolt of lightening. That's what they did with the 8800. They were real quiet about it, and speculation was that it wasn't going to be all that, or be out when it was. Then they just dropped it on everyone.

However it could also mean that they are indeed having problems/behind on design/whatever. In that case maybe we don't see it soon and maybe when it comes out it isn't so great.

There just really isn't any way to know at this point. We just have to bide our time.

As to what you should do, well I'd say wait unless you've got a need to buy now. What I mean is if you've got a perfectly good graphics card now that is playing the games you want acceptably well, then hold off at least until the ATI 5000 series starts shipping (since that'll lower prices) and realistically till the GT300 comes out and you can see if you like that.

However, if you need a card now, like your old card died or you are building a new system, then go for it. After all, it isn't as though the current gen of cards are bad. They do great on basically every game out there and are way to powerful for many. They'll be fine for a good time yet.

Thanks Sycraft, I was just curious. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Looks like there will be some good competition here in a few month's.

All I think that can be safely assumed is that the GT 300 GPU will be faster than the RV870, it will arrive rather late, supplies will most likely be tight, and it will be more expensive than the AMD part. Everything else is up in the air.

I'm not sure that it is a safe assumption. like you said there are a lot of issues currently and the other way to deal with that is to lower clock speeds. I am thinking that we may end up like the current market, bigger slower chip that does more vs a smaller faster running chip. we may have to wait for the 32nm node to see the GT300 as it should be. the other issue is that Nvidia is banking heavy on GPGPU where ATI is still going for the graphics. It will be interesting to see how this shapes up.

Then again while fun speculating like this is only worth the paper its written on :D (ok, I know its a bad joke)

all i can say is nvidia is really silent on the subject for a product that "may" be out in november.

It seems it will be out in Dec.

Nvidia CEO to visit Taiwan in October, to discuss 40nm contract prices with TSMC
Latest news
DIGITIMES WiMAX portal

Advertisement
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Friday 18 September 2009]

Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang will travel to Taiwan in the second half of October to meet with its motherboard and graphics card partners. Huang is also expected to hold talks with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) chairman Morris Chang to discuss contract prices for 40nm production, according to sources at graphics card makers.

Huang is also expected to check on TSMC's 40nm process, for which TSMC has claimed yield rates have already risen from 30%, to 60% in July, and defect density will drop to only 0.2 in October. Huang will also check the progress of its upcoming GT300 GPU which is expected to launch in December.

Meanwhile, Chang is expected to talk to Huang about partnership on TSMC's 28nm process, which will start pilot runs in the first quarter of 2010, and will start contributing revenues in 2011.

Huang is also expected to visit VIA Technologies to make final confirmation on the Ion 2 platform for the end of December, added the sources.

http://digitimes.com/news/a20090918PD210.html

According to some previous articles they were saying that Nvidia won't have something ready until Q1-2010 or Q2 due to some chip problems they had , they had to re-structure everything from scratch for the GT3xx series. But who knows , just wait until the end of this month or early October and something might leak or be released as far as specs info.

According to some previous articles they were saying that Nvidia won't have something ready until Q1-2010 or Q2 due to some chip problems they had , they had to re-structure everything from scratch for the GT3xx series. But who knows , just wait until the end of this month or early October and something might leak or be released as far as specs info.

I am thinking that was charlie so might want to take the refab thing with some salt. it is clear though that they are running behind.

wasn't Nvidia supposed to release a DX 10.1 card to hold people over until DX 11?

@ Polonyc2

I heard that too, although I also read somewhere Nvidia stopped the project because it wasn't competitive enough with the HD 5870, but that was very likely just a rumor. Was it the GT212 series Nvidia would release as a transition towards DX 11?

I just sold my GTX295...now can't wait till i get the latest...w00t

I have the same crystal ball Fudzilla uses and it won't be released until early February soft launch with retail getting theirs much later.

Yah, but it has jizz on it, so you're not seeing it clearly. :D

@ Polonyc2

I heard that too, although I also read somewhere Nvidia stopped the project because it wasn't competitive enough with the HD 5870, but that was very likely just a rumor. Was it the GT212 series Nvidia would release as a transition towards DX 11?

You (Nvidia) shouldn't quit the game just because it "looks" like you're going to loose...grow up Nvidia.

I have the same crystal ball Fudzilla uses and it won't be released until early February soft launch with retail getting theirs much later.

Want to bet ? :)

Also, isn't your friend Charlie, the one that uses a Crystal ball ? You know the one Fudzilla refers to as "AMD’s competitive analysis team" :p

Also, isn't your friend Charlie, the one that uses a Crystal ball ? You know the one Fudzilla refers to as "AMD’s competitive analysis team" :p

LOL! That was a good one and I could almost believe there's some truth to it when reading Charlies articles! :D

They do at least have their names accordingly to their articles. FUDzilla and SEMIaccurate. :p I find both amusing to read and have a couple of laughs sometimes.

Charlie? haha he's Fuad's mentor in BS only a fool would take what they say face value. Latest I heard Faud got denied access to the AMD show on the USS Hornet so guy's got a lil grudge to settle now.

Just read this about the GT300

"Interestingly, sources told us that AIC partners will get to design the GT300 cards themselves, which means, no more boring reference cards."

here. found that kind of fun and interesting.. I've been holding off upgrading my GTX260s for a long while.. I think the GT300 will be worth the wait.. well, I hope so.

In the official HD 5870 thread Kyle himself said that he doesn't expect gt300 for atleast 5 months. I'd say late November stepup is almost assuredly not gonna work.

In the official HD 5870 thread Kyle himself said that he doesn't expect gt300 for atleast 5 months. I'd say late November stepup is almost assuredly not gonna work.
Why did he say something like that? Did he mention any special source for that expectation or should we just ignore that Kyle's statement?

You need to reread what he actually wrote. The statement was that he didn't expect to see it on retail shelves for 4-6 months.

Back