Grim Dawn Alpha starts tomorrow

I meant actual internet latency causing dropped packets and freezing D3; not my PC freezing up. :)
I've had similar experiences with D3. It's nice not having these problems in GD... and being able to pause whenever I want is great

Hey guys I just hit 50 and need to fix my attribute points using the GD Defiler... yet i cannot figure out how it works! And the devs site seems completely void of a tut or anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Just thought you guys might like to know GD Defiler is coming along NICELY.

[Tool] GD Defiler - Grim Dawn Forums

It appears it needs an update to work with recent saves anyway, so I'll find another way. Odd that i can't find any instructions on how to use it though.

Last edited:
I used the trainer a couple of posts back, and I haven't touch Grim Dawn since Season 7 started on D3 and I am still pushing Grifts on that, which I thought was surprising since the last couple of seasons I stopped playing as soon as I completed season journey.

This is the first time I heard about defiler

It's made by Soulseeker, who made TQ Defiler for Titan Quest.

Once all the kinks are worked out, it'll def be a go-to utility.

Well i finally beat normal.. I usually take forever with games, and this one was no exception. Completed Normal at lvl 59. I really enjoyed how the first playthrough was difficult enough to actually play the game vs rushing to the end. I am very impressed by the amount of compelling content in this game. I started Elite but only played long enough to see that reputation doesn't reset (thank god) and only some resistances got a difficulty penalty (yay!).

Now there's SO much content in this game, I don't want to do it all over again on this character.. So what do you guys usually do in elite? I imagine it'll take me a bit more playtime to determine the sidequests from the good quests, but is there some kinda rundown of all the important quests that should be hit in each playthrough?

You definitely need to do the skill/stat point quests.

There is one that you help the scientist in Devil's Crossing that yields Skill point
There is another where, just after you pass Arkovian ruins, a ghost asks you to kill a harpy

And then there is the Hidden Path quest.

It's made by Soulseeker, who made TQ Defiler for Titan Quest.

Once all the kinks are worked out, it'll def be a go-to utility.
I hope he gets TQ Defiler updated for the AE after he's done with the Grim Dawn version.

You definitely need to do the skill/stat point quests.

There is one that you help the scientist in Devil's Crossing that yields Skill point
There is another where, just after you pass Arkovian ruins, a ghost asks you to kill a harpy

And then there is the Hidden Path quest.
Thanks a ton for this! I was thinking it was just a few key quests that needed to be done!

Thanks a ton for this! I was thinking it was just a few key quests that needed to be done!

There is a very well hidden quest line in ultimate difficulty (and exists only on that difficulty), and the end of THAT quest is where I mentioned before whose boss had my rear handed to me on a silver platter, sprinkled with herbs and a complementary champagne (this is coming from a build that did SoT on the second try at max level without having terribly optimised gear). Hint: it involved a 'diary' of someone whose contents and profession don't match, but the item involved in the quest does not show up until a good deal later down the line.

Also, there are a couple of quests you can do differently, like who the hammer should go to, if you want to side with either witch or not, etc.

It's time for Crucible chockomonkey.... ;)
I actually haven't even tried it yet. I have a couple more devotion points i want to get, i found a nice cluster that really fits the build. Soon, though..

Thanks for the info, chenw. I love the hidden stuff in this game, also where there's no quest markers and they actually say things like, "follow the river to its delta" as directions. For the hidden path quest, how was I supposed to figure out the location from the three runes? I had to look that one up lol

You did make me curious, what's the difference between the two blacksmiths? I just read on the wiki that i can choose the other one and have access to both, that's cool.

Also has anyone used the Elemental Storm devotion? I'm using it on Cadence and am curious how it's proccing on folks across the room.

On the crafting screen of each blacksmith, just to the left of the box that shows you how much iron bits the crafting costs, hovering your mouse over it will show you what kind of bonuses that particular blacksmith would give on your crafts. One of the gives magical bonuses, the other it's physical. But all of the blacksmiths give different bonuses.

Yeah, but the bonuses are generally minorish and bulk of the bonuses are from the natural rolls on the items themeselves.

They are generally used for min-maxers I think, I personally didn't make that many items, only made 1 belt and rest were making Dynamites or components, which are unaffected by the blacksmiths.

There are also some wondering blacksmiths around the later area as well. There is one that allows you to swap between Ancient Heart, Blood of Ch'thon and Tainted Brain matter (which costs some amount of Iron bits), and there is another one which makes a random legendary item with 8 Blood of Ch'thon.

^^ absolutely amazing. Had no any of that! I've come across a couple of these smiths out in the wild, but i didn't notice any difference between them and the one I had in town. I kinda figured there was something to them though.

Can the Hidden Path quest be completed in each difficulty? In Elite and Ultimate difficulties, I can get the Runestone of Dreeg but it doesn't give me the quest, nor drop the journal.

Edit: nevermind, think it had to do with me getting the Runestone in Ultimate but trying to use it in Elite.

Last edited:
Can the Hidden Path quest be completed in each difficulty? In Elite and Ultimate difficulties, I can get the Runestone of Dreeg but it doesn't give me the quest, nor drop the journal.

Edit: nevermind, think it had to do with me getting the Runestone in Ultimate but trying to use it in Elite.

Game starts over with each difficulty to answer your original question. You only bring your gear and skills/devotion with you. You can pick a different faction each run to see them both too.

Only 1 quest is tied to difficulty, and that quest only exist in Ultimate difficulty.

Also, be careful with Outcast, if you choose a different option in another difficulty, it would affect other difficulties as reputation is shared across all 3 difficulty.

Strictly speaking, you only need one character that is Outcast's enemy (since the drops are shareable), all other chars can be friends with her.

I've never been the Outcasts enemy, but it definitely seemed weird to me that you either choose this extra Outcast faction, or nothing... so it appears it's not nothing if you kill her?

Thanks for the info on stuff like this. It's helping me get things right on my first character :)

Outcast's dungeon is very small and very easily accessed, so it's a decent place to grind gear, and the outcast herself exclusively drops a legendary helm that adds 1 to all elementalist skills or something to that effect.

Not sure if either is still true with crucible, haven't played too much since crucible came out.

Loving the game, on ultimate but I am not really geared for it so it is pretty slow going. For outcast, I did not decide anything 2nd run, guess going to do that now, assuming it doesn't screw access to her on other difficulties? Because the other faction choices do. So.... what is the ideal skill point distribution? I chose mostly spirit, is that wrong? :)

Loving the game, on ultimate but I am not really geared for it so it is pretty slow going. For outcast, I did not decide anything 2nd run, guess going to do that now, assuming it doesn't screw access to her on other difficulties? Because the other faction choices do. So.... what is the ideal skill point distribution? I chose mostly spirit, is that wrong? :)
What class are you going? I think it'll largely depend on that.

I am a battlemage and am so close to finishing cruel. I've started some in Ultimate, but I got up to the Hidden Path end boss, and holy shit. I could not do him.. nowhere even close. My resists are darn near maxed too... I don't know what they expect me to do to survive more...

Largely depends on survivalbility, but you might run into problems later on if you do not have enough physique to wear your BiS gear.

My Vitality caster is heavier into Physique than Spirit (and none into Cunning), mostly due to the fact that my caster does quite a lot of damage on her own already, and the spirit is mostly just so that I can maintain spells without downtime (including potion usage).

The update patch is live. I can't tell much difference except some of my spam skills no longer seem to auto spam, also some enemies show a different marker. my droprate for legendaries is fairly low, so... that will probably take a while

Woot! Exciting times indeed! I'm glad they tweaked the Arcanist's Elemental Balance move..but honestly i still have a feeling it'll be too weak to spend points on unless they also add +elemental damage as well. The elemental damage over time never seems to tick for enough damage to matter.

As per the usual, I expect 1 - 2 hotfixes in the next 2ish weeks heh.

So far though the bug reports appear minimal.

And btw, Chenw is right. Unlike most ARPG's putting points into physique is actually necessary.

With my current warlock, I'm putting 40% of points into physique with the remaining 60% into spirit.

(if you actually want to gear up properly etc)

And btw, Chenw is right. Unlike most ARPG's putting points into physique is actually necessary.

With my current warlock, I'm putting 40% of points into physique with the remaining 60% into spirit.

(if you actually want to gear up properly etc)
Is this just because of Physique requirements on gear? Or are you doing it for the HP?

I'll have to double check later, but I believe my Conjurer have something like 9k health? I think I put 2:1 into Physique/Spirit.

(Granted, I was following a Hardcore friendly guide, which places great emphasis on 'not dying').

so how do you guys like kill the nemesis dudes? specifically the electric ones? guys tend to fuck me up bad unless I can can catch on on a corner to block his stuff while allowing me to do an AOE

I haven't run into many Nemesis. I ran into 3 different ones over my career at the moment, the first was the Electric Aetherial, the second was the Chthonic one, and the third was the undead freezing one.

I haven't met the electric one since I hit Ultimate, ran into him on Elite and I had my rear handed over.

The Chthonic one is just kiting, the undead one is tricky since you need freeze protection ointment, otherwise he would just freeze lock you permanently.

Other than that, I can only suggest having maxed out resistances. On Ultimate, my character has nearly maxed or maxed out resists on most damage types.

https://puu.sh/rzDzG/5f68e771f3.jpg

This is my character at the moment. Currently I have 57 points into Physique and 30 into spirit (missing 3 points from the hidden path quest).

The screen shot is taken on ultimate difficulty, with all the buffs in place.

(I am playing Vitality Caster conjurer, which is Occultist and Shaman hybrid that focuses on Vitality based attacks like Wendigo Totem, Storm Totem and Sigil of Consumption).

Wow that is impressive. 10k HP, and a pretty high armor rating to boot. Are you still at 70% absorption?

I can't figure out what I need to do to survive. Do most Battlemages use a shield? It's really the only thing i can think of... equipping a shield, then trying to find a good soldier shield skill to dramatically increase my survival.

I do fine against waves of guys, but many bosses in ultimate can 1-shot me lol

Last edited:
Yeah, my armor are still at 70%.

I use healing, not migitation, to survive, so if I meet a boss that has 100% Leech resistance (not many actually have them, but a few does, the Undead Nemesis for example), It's kiting time.

I have never played Battlemage so don't know about them much, are you using defensive devotions?

Yeah, my armor are still at 70%.

I use healing, not migitation, to survive, so if I meet a boss that has 100% Leech resistance (not many actually have them, but a few does, the Undead Nemesis for example), It's kiting time.

I have never played Battlemage so don't know about them much, are you using defensive devotions?
Ahh okay. I use cc and mitigation for survival, so when it comes to bosses who are always immune to CC, i have only 3 seconds of invulnerability before i gotta kite around. Which sometimes works.. I definitely need to find another defensive Devotion, as I have 3 offensive and 2 defensive right now.. Turtle Shell and Wayward Soul. What's another solid one i could use?

Back