Graphics card gets stuck on login screen

I had a few cards on my hands by now with the same problem - crash on loading windows or login screen. Since I wasn't able to fix any of them I'm curious what can potentially cause this issue. I know about Vram damage, BGA damage, faulty BIOS installation or defective BIOS chip and of course die damage. But even though I they are mostly very hard or impossible to fix those card sell for quiet much on Ebay which makes me wonder whether I'm missing something.

That is when the os is loading the gpu driver, and the gpu initializes.

Probably the gpu chip itself, or the vrm(s) supplying the gpu chip with power. If the power reads good to the gpu, it's very likely the chip itself. Use the board for parts.

That is when the os is loading the gpu driver, and the gpu initializes.

Probably the gpu chip itself, or the vrm(s) supplying the gpu chip with power. If the power reads good to the gpu, it's very likely the chip itself. Use the board for parts.
If the card works at all, it’s not a VRM problem. Like he said, though, this is an indication of a bad core, and your efforts are better spent on other cards unless it’s a fancy Kingpin card or something like that.

That's also what I thought but at least here in Germany they sell for as much if not more as a card with an actual repairable fault - are they just being stupid?
I don't see the point in buying a card for as much as a card im going to profit of.

I’ve always assumed there’s some contingent of buyers that think they can fix them with fresh thermal grease or “baking.”

Back