Grand Theft Auto V

The concept of heists in GTA V were new and interesting, but I thought it fell short of where it could have gone (with meaningful choices, different outcomes, etc.).

I like the game. I think it's just escapist fun and I like to laugh at the absurd pop culture jabs. Online is the part I couldn't care less about.

When you are finished with the SP campaign it starts losing its luster because online is so hit and miss.

I had a hacker yesterday come in on a server I was in and they knew how to make themselves materialize with me in my car, on a bike...and then the next thing I knew I was stripped of everything I had...weapons, money...you name it. I alt-F4d out of there real fast and thankfully it wasn't permanent.

Online is all but ruined because of this and I'm sorry they didn't take the venture more seriously and go for dedicated servers. You can get lucky at times. If you string together mission you can usually make out ok but... it just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and I see my time with it ever diminishing.

That's a shame because it's a sweet game and it's certainly a better GTA game than 4 was. No more bowling with Roman ever again. ;)

The one thing 4 has over 5 would be this: Two fairly compelling single player DLCs. Gay Tony especially was well done. I wish 5 would get something like that.

I wish there was a way to have a Heist mode variant of some sort in single player as well.

I would like to play GTAO's heists in single player, with AI.
As the player I could choose which role to perform on each heist and bots would play the other 3 roles. Maybe allow me to choose from the single-player heist NPC's used in the campaign.

I would like to play GTAO's heists in single player, with AI.
As the player I could choose which role to perform on each heist and bots would play the other 3 roles. Maybe allow me to choose from the single-player heist NPC's used in the campaign.

I'd pay some extra money to have something along those lines incorporated.

The story mode ends and ...that's it! It's all over. It's rather abrupt and anticlimatic after the credits roll. There is just no point in continuing in SP at all after that which is a shame.

There is a lot of untapped potential there with Heists. I see some kind of deluxe expansion pack concept there in my mind that I know will never reality unless a shocker happens.

I’m confused how a sandbox game with tons and tons of things to do, see and discover has “nothing to do”.

And most of this “once you beat it is over stuff” works for ALL gaming. So I’m really confused what people were expecting.

I’m confused how a sandbox game with tons and tons of things to do, see and discover has “nothing to do”.

And most of this “once you beat it is over stuff” works for ALL gaming. So I’m really confused what people were expecting.
Because it's shit like golf, tennis, and cycling. Activities.
We want real shit to do. Witcher 3 style.

There's really nothing to do in GTA 5 except wreak havoc.

That's because it's just another GTA game and the only people really engrossed with it are 15-year-olds who can't even remember GTA IV let alone the rest of the series.
This is now my 8th GTA game. I got some good hours out of GTAO but it's ruined by poor connections and hackers.

Murdering cops and hookers stopped being fun somewhere around 2002.
I been playing since the first GTA came out. Not bored of GTA V at all.

I'm relatively new to the thread, so I may be asking something that was already discussed months ago. In single player campaign mode. how long does it take to beat the game (with or without cheats/mods)? How does its difficulty compare to GTA Vice City? TIA.

Because it's shit like golf, tennis, and cycling. Activities.
We want real shit to do. Witcher 3 style.

There's really nothing to do in GTA 5 except wreak havoc.

Buying places unlocks side missions. Hunting can be fun. The random "?" missions can be some of the most fun in the game. Did you see all 3 endings? Assassinations missions.

Have you even looked at the list of stuff to do?

I'm relatively new to the thread, so I may be asking something that was already discussed months ago. In single player campaign mode. how long does it take to beat the game (with or without cheats/mods)? How does its difficulty compare to GTA Vice City? TIA.

Just the main story will take you 30 hrs easy without cheats.

Game is pretty easy honestly. Compared to Vice City it should be cake. Last time I tried GTA: VC it was crazy hard. Saves were always out there where GTA5 has checkpoints. Aiming was terrible. It’s almost hard to compare the two games.

Most missions allow you to restart very close to the point you died/failed. That alone cuts out a lot of the repetition required in earlier GTA games. It's a little bit shorter than the older ones, but it's also much easier to pick up where you screwed up instead of driving across town over and over again.

Just the main story will take you 30 hrs easy without cheats.

Game is pretty easy honestly. Compared to Vice City it should be cake. Last time I tried GTA: VC it was crazy hard. Saves were always out there where GTA5 has checkpoints. Aiming was terrible. It’s almost hard to compare the two games.

Ahh the good old days of no checkpoint gaming. Yeah GTA5 is a cakewalk compared to LC/VC/SA.

Most missions allow you to restart very close to the point you died/failed. That alone cuts out a lot of the repetition required in earlier GTA games. It's a little bit shorter than the older ones, but it's also much easier to pick up where you screwed up instead of driving across town over and over again.

Plus after you pass the mission, you can replay any mission any time to try and get the "bonuses" that they offer to try and get a gold medal on the mission.

When you are finished with the SP campaign it starts losing its luster because online is so hit and miss.

I had a hacker yesterday come in on a server I was in and they knew how to make themselves materialize with me in my car, on a bike...and then the next thing I knew I was stripped of everything I had...weapons, money...you name it. I alt-F4d out of there real fast and thankfully it wasn't permanent.

Online is all but ruined because of this and I'm sorry they didn't take the venture more seriously and go for dedicated servers. You can get lucky at times. If you string together mission you can usually make out ok but... it just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and I see my time with it ever diminishing.

That's a shame because it's a sweet game and it's certainly a better GTA game than 4 was. No more bowling with Roman ever again. ;)

The one thing 4 has over 5 would be this: Two fairly compelling single player DLCs. Gay Tony especially was well done. I wish 5 would get something like that.

I wish there was a way to have a Heist mode variant of some sort in single player as well.

Is that for the online heists (with hacking and whatnot)? If so, that's pretty disheartening because I'm still playing the SP and planned to cover the online content afterwards .

Typically you wont wont run into hackers if you join the mission roulette or do a heist. Or should I say there is a smaller chance to run into one there.
Mostly cause most people that go into those actually want to play the game, but there is nothing preventing a hacker from joining a heist/mission. They are more typically found in public freemode, which I never join, because if the game accidentally sends me to public freemode I disconnect immediately and start a new invite only session.
I do invite only sessions and connect to all missions or heists through my phone. I have seen maybe 2 incidents of hacking by doing this, over the course of the last 2 weeks.

Game is great. I played through the game when it came out initially on the ps3. I bought it a few days after it was released for PC. Fun mindless stress relief. You can virtually do anything you want, Golf, cruise around in any type of vehicle imaginable etc. The game took about 30 hours to beat. Like others have said it's easier than Vice City, I enjoy this game over its predecessor.
Well worth the purchase.

Game is great. I played through the game when it came out initially on the ps3. I bought it a few days after it was released for PC. Fun mindless stress relief. You can virtually do anything you want, Golf, cruise around in any type of vehicle imaginable etc. The game took about 30 hours to beat. Like others have said it's easier than Vice City, I enjoy this game over its predecessor.
Well worth the purchase.

Agree you don't have to mindlessly be a gangster in this game but can do fun hobbies or non-destructive things, pretty cool.

Anyone noticed that the game is piling up 1000s of small files in the Temp folder? I play since release and have over 6000 small cloud_<randomnumber> files in my AppData\Local\Temp folder now. I'm sure its GTA Online maybe their cloud sync keeps writing these files. Should probably clean up at some point.

I have not been able to play it due to direct3d crashes which I thought was my gpu until I seen tons of other people complaining of same issue, and also half the time the launcher cannot get online and it fails to launch due to the online DRM.

Also when it launches it seems to be a 50% chance to goto menu or load up my last save, game is a bugfest.

Anyone can suggest best settings to get 60fps with the original Titan? I have i7 2600k and 16GB Gskill ram. Cant get a steady 60fps.

Anyone can suggest best settings to get 60fps with the original Titan? I have i7 2600k and 16GB Gskill ram. Cant get a steady 60fps.

This guide does a pretty good job of explaining the performance impacts of the various options. I would suggest setting everything to the highest option and then backing down the features that have the most impact by a notch until you can get it where you want it to be. For me, turning off MSAA and dialing back grass quality from Ultra to Very High made a big difference (and there's still a lot of tweaking I could do, but I'm happy with the performance).

Can anyone recommend settings for a GTX 670 please, Geforce Experience optimal settings caused my system to crash.

Specs: i5 3570k, 16 gig ram, GTX 670, Samsung 840 EVO

Can anyone recommend settings for a GTX 670 please, Geforce Experience optimal settings caused my system to crash.

Specs: i5 3570k, 16 gig ram, GTX 670, Samsung 840 EVO

Frames Per Second (Higher is better) Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 29.068838, 68.662392, 58.232388
Pass 1, 0.146087, 206.621948, 52.393024
Pass 2, 37.410839, 83.625282, 59.141804
Pass 3, 47.345295, 128.620987, 67.982140
Pass 4, 44.194847, 122.480637, 58.990810
Pass 5, 45.831623, 133.901321, 60.912891
Pass 6, 47.994205, 140.505707, 71.384262
Pass 7, 22.175264, 118.691444, 65.653763

Time in milliseconds(ms). (Lower is better). Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 14.564013, 34.401100, 17.172575
Pass 1, 4.839757, 6845.221191, 19.086510
Pass 2, 11.958106, 26.730221, 16.908514
Pass 3, 7.774781, 21.121424, 14.709746
Pass 4, 8.164556, 22.627071, 16.951794
Pass 5, 7.468186, 21.818996, 16.416885
Pass 6, 7.117149, 20.835848, 14.008690
Pass 7, 8.425207, 45.095291, 15.231420

=== SYSTEM ===
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
DX Feature Level: 11.0
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.4GHz
8192MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, 2088MB, Driver Version 350.12
Graphics Card Vendor Id 0x10de with Device ID 0x1189

=== SETTINGS ===
Display: 1920x1080 (FullScreen) @ 60Hz VSync OFF
Tessellation: 3
LodScale: 1.000000
PedLodBias: 0.200000
VehicleLodBias: 0.000000
ShadowQuality: 2
ReflectionQuality: 2
ReflectionMSAA: 4
SSAO: 2
AnisotropicFiltering: 16
MSAA: 0
MSAAFragments: 0
MSAAQuality: 0
TextureQuality: 2
ParticleQuality: 2
WaterQuality: 2
GrassQuality: 2
ShaderQuality: 2
Shadow_SoftShadows: 3
UltraShadows_Enabled: true
Shadow_ParticleShadows: true
Shadow_Distance: 1.000000
Shadow_LongShadows: true
Shadow_SplitZStart: 0.930000
Shadow_SplitZEnd: 0.890000
Shadow_aircraftExpWeight: 0.990000
Shadow_DisableScreenSizeCheck: false
Reflection_MipBlur: true
FXAA_Enabled: true
TXAA_Enabled: false
Lighting_FogVolumes: true
Shader_SSA: true
DX_Version: 2
CityDensity: 1.000000
PedVarietyMultiplier: 0.800000
VehicleVarietyMultiplier: 0.800000
PostFX: 3
DoF: true
HdStreamingInFlight: true
MaxLodScale: 0.000000
MotionBlurStrength: 1.000000

I found these settings to be a perfect balance between high detail and high performance. 60fps most of the time, mostly around 50 when things start getting hot.
Game is also running on an SSD.

Dropping MSAA (go with FXAA on Nvidia) and turning the grass down a bit from Ultra helps a ton.
From there, shadows and water are the next places to dial options down. Both still look terrific even when not maxed out.

Well worth the purchase.
Thanks for the reply. Interesting that its easier than VC. I'll have to look up my Steam stats to see how long it took me to beat it, but I'm guessing around 30-something hours. But I also messed around quite a bit to get cops after me so that I could steal tanks. :D

I do want GTA 5, but I know if I get it, then I'll never play my older games (San And., and 4), so I'll play those 2 this summer and maybe get 5 during the Steam X-mas sale.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that its easier than VC. I'll have to look up my Steam stats to see how long it took me to beat it, but I'm guessing around 30-something hours. But I also messed around quite a bit to get cops after me so that I could steal tanks. :D

I do want GTA 5, but I know if I get it, then I'll never play my older games (San And., and 4), so I'll play those 2 this summer and maybe get 5 during the Steam X-mas sale.

I'm a good ways through GTA V, but I'll definitely be going back and replaying the older ones. I like each GTA game for different reasons. III hasn't aged very well and is kinda clunky, but I love the map and the feel of the game. Vice City feels like III in terms of mechanics, but its soundtrack and setting are AWESOME (plus, Ray Liotta as the voice of the main character!). San Andreas improves on those mechanically, and gives you a HUGE map with tons of ways to muck around, plus the missions are cool. CJ and his crew really grew on me, and the game features Samuel L. Jackson as Officer Tenpenny! IV had a good story despite some annoying elements, but a great non-arcadish driving model and it felt like the first "realistic" GTA game in many ways. V is of course the newest and best looking with more great characters and more activities to do, but it doesn't really make the other games any less great, IMO. They will be perceived that way now due to their age, but at the time, they were all 9.0+ games.

So I don't disagree with your plan...play the older games first and you'll likely appreciate them much more as you progress through them. If you're new to them, it might be hard to play them after the modern greatness of V. But as someone who enjoyed all of them in the past, I definitely want to revisit them again at some point (hopefully with mods or updates).

Set grass to high. I can barely tell the difference between high. very high and ultra, but there is massive fps difference, however grass st to normal makes it disappear so use high.

Set shadows to soft.

MSAA to 2x with TXAA disabled. Can optionally also enable FXAA.

Disable reflection MSAA.

Set grass to high. I can barely tell the difference between high. very high and ultra, but there is massive fps difference, however grass st to normal makes it disappear so use high.

Set shadows to soft.

MSAA to 2x with TXAA disabled. Can optionally also enable FXAA.

Disable reflection MSAA.

nVIdia did a good side-by-side comparison with the different levels of detail for all the graphics settings:
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-graphics-and-performance-guide

The links in the tables for each section let you compare the settings side by side, and allow you to drag a slider across the screen to see the difference.

Lol, I replied to you on the previous page with that same guide. Did you even read my post? :p

It IS a great guide, though.

To be honest, I didn't even see that you linked it, lol. Otherwise I would have just directed to your post.

The story mode ends and ...that's it! It's all over. It's rather abrupt and anticlimatic after the credits roll. There is just no point in continuing in SP at all after that which is a shame.

There is a lot of untapped potential there with Heists. I see some kind of deluxe expansion pack concept there in my mind that I know will never reality unless a shocker happens.
Yeah, there should have been more story mode heists and missions considering the size of the map and the time it took to develop the game plus porting it to PC. Felt more like a $30 game to me. Great game but not enough content for me.

Back