Grand Theft Auto V

If you're doing jobs, join an Invite-only freeroam session. That speeds up loading. It also prevents you from being ganked and dropping all your money.
If you just want to dick around in freeroam then obviously join a public one.

The game has a hard time keeping your freeroam session in order. If you're joining public ones, each time you leave a job it will have to find a new one for you... And if you connect to a laggy one, it'll boot you to another session or send you back to single player. It's a huge hassle, just don't bother with it.

I guess these invite-only sessions are exactly what the name suggests? Invitation?
Don't know anyone that plays on PC. I just do random jobs with random people.

Figured out the phone quick job thing, and that seems to work a lot better than accepting spammed job invitations.

Keep getting ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT crashes randomly..

Been getting that quite a bit too. You oc'ing your gpu? Scaled mine back 20mhz on the cores and it's only happened a couple times since. Before it was happening every hour or less.

Jobs are separate from freeroam.
You can do an Invite-only freeroam session, but still do public jobs.

Your freeroam session is just your global lobby. It's where the game drops you when you're not on a job.

Jobs are separate from freeroam.
You can do an Invite-only freeroam session, but still do public jobs.

Your freeroam session is just your global lobby. It's where the game drops you when you're not on a job.

So can you be in your own freeroam session, or how does one get into a specific freeroam?

I don't even care for the freeroam at all, can do just about anything from your phone/menus.

Start GTA 5.
Click "Story Mode" @ main menu.
When done loading, open Escape menu.
Go to "Online" section.
Play GTA Online, Start "Invite Only" session.

This will put you into freeroam by yourself, it should load instantly and never disconnect you or kick you. Now you can use your phone or the markers on the map to start jobs. When you exit a job, you will be instantly returned to your private freeroam session.

Start GTA 5.
Click "Story Mode" @ main menu.
When done loading, open Escape menu.
Go to "Online" section.
Play GTA Online, Start "Invite Only" session.

This will put you into freeroam by yourself, it should load instantly and never disconnect you or kick you. Now you can use your phone or the markers on the map to start jobs. When you exit a job, you will be instantly returned to your private freeroam session.

Cool thanks, will give it a go.

I have come to the conclusion that half the reason why I was not into this game was because I was playing it on Xbox 360. On the PC the game is pretty good but it is piss easy with mouse and keyboard. One shotting all enemies.

I have come to the conclusion that half the reason why I was not into this game was because I was playing it on Xbox 360. On the PC the game is pretty good but it is piss easy with mouse and keyboard. One shotting all enemies.
Lack of spread is the real problem.
The bullet always lands where your dot is. You can rip headshots with an uzi from 100 yards in 1 shot.

Still experiencing random freezes/CTD(I have to ctrl+alt+del to get task manager). It's getting annoying, I'll be doing a mission and bam it freezes. I do have almost everything maxed out graphically too. I've done what suggested already in this thread and on Reddit, I do lurk. It's getting annoying, I am pushing my hardware pretty hard but still, it was never a problem in FC4 or other games. Still, happy with R* and the outcome of GTA V, just hate the random freezes.

its probably all the ram that game uses its crazy amount it uses compared to most games... its probably thats why. :mad:

Am I the only one that prefers the feel of this game at 30fps over 60? Heh :embarrased

it just feels more like how I know GTA... 60 almost feels unnaturally smooth especially when cars collide, gives that saints row feel kind of

I actually think the game looks shockingly good at 24fps...which sounds crazy. GTA games always have lots of animation frames, which (IMO) make lower framerates look better than they should. The game was locked at 24fps for me for the first 15 minutes (windowed borderless defaults to it) and I barely even noticed.

Hi anyone here playing this with 670s in SLI? Curious what settings you are using. My physical RAM gets up to 6GB my card only has 2. Seems ok. I don't notice any stuttering but only started playing yesterday and am using settings from Gforce experience optimal setting configuratet

Anyone else getting an issue in GTA where there Logitech G430 mic stops working when changing instances in Online? I tried plugging my mic into the onboard but since I've never used that before ran into th Realtek HD Audio quiet mic, ended up using my web cam mic.

I've not read back through this thread but can anyone explain why the game seems to report the available VRAM for SLI systems as if they are pooled??

For example, my SLI 780Tis show in-game as a 6192 VRAM pool. However, we all know that SLI doesn't work like that an the VRAM is mirrored.

Is GTA doing something special and actually seeing each set 3096MB VRAM individually?

SLi setups will have "double" the amount of available VRAM in GTA 5, however all VRAM usage is doubled.

Rockstar is just weird.

I've not read back through this thread but can anyone explain why the game seems to report the available VRAM for SLI systems as if they are pooled??
Because.

For example, my SLI 780Tis show in-game as a 6192 VRAM pool. However, we all know that SLI doesn't work like that an the VRAM is mirrored.

Is GTA doing something special and actually seeing each set 3096MB VRAM individually?
No, they just add memory use up for each card.
Halve it for 2 cards, 1/3 for 3 cards etc.

Anything over the vram limit for the number for cards you have will be using system ram as a cache.
ie for 2x3GB cards, 8 GB memory used will be 2GB system cache and each cards memory maxed out.

CPU and RAM limited. If the game is installed on your hard drive and not your SSD; that won't help either.

So do you think I could get away with just doubling the ram or would it still lag. I know I am running out of ram, because window gives me an error and it crashes the game. :confused:

So do you think I could get away with just doubling the ram or would it still lag. I know I am running out of ram, because window gives me an error and it crashes the game. :confused:

You are CPU limited for sure, I am with a 2500K at 4.3GHz.
Clock it as high as you can.

If you have disabled your swapfile, that could explain the crash.

You are CPU limited for sure, I am with a 2500K at 4.3GHz.
Clock it as high as you can.

If you have disabled your swapfile, that could explain the crash.

So, you're saying don't waste my money on a 12 gig triple kit?

So, you're saying don't waste my money on a 12 gig triple kit?

I'm not sure how you interpreted that from my post.
I suggested clocking your CPU high and enabling the swapfile if it is disabled.

You havent commented on whether your swapfile is enabled nor what speed your CPU is running at.
You gave no results if you did do as suggested.
Its difficult to help you with no testing and no information.

For what it's worth I played GTAO for 28 hours straight and GTA5.exe's RAM usage (including page?) topped out at 4.5 GB.

Haven't oc'ed the cpu ever and I don't know how to check the swapfile or whatever the fuck that is. Don't know why you are getting pissy, when I'm just seeing if a little ram would help me

IMO before you spend any money on RAM, overclock a little bit and you'll see massive improvements.
Weren't the original i7's beast overclockers?

Haven't oc'ed the cpu ever and I don't know how to check the swapfile or whatever the fuck that is. Don't know why you are getting pissy, when I'm just seeing if a little ram would help me

Interesting, you misinterpreted both of my posts and then blamed me for it.
Its not my fault you are pissed off because of a game :p
Not much point in trying to help you. Good luck.

If you're running out of memory then absolutely yes, more RAM would help you. If you don't know what a swap file is then you probably haven't turned it off, but to check, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings. Click the Settings button in the Performance section at the top. Click the Advanced tab in the window that opens. Check the Virtual Memory section. If "Total paging file size for all drives" = anything other than 0 MB, then your swap file is enabled. You can click the Change button and see how it's configured there.

In the old days, people turned the page file off because they thought it would speed up their systems by forcing Windows and programs to use only physical memory, and never use the slower paging file on the disk. But with SSDs, the swap file performs much better these days and disabling it can cause problems. The recommended advice these days is to leave it on. You can set the value manually, but I just let Windows handle it and I've never had an issue.

Now, back to your issues...things that will help the game run better:

- Overclock your CPU
- Add RAM
- Install the game on an SSD

Preferably all 3, but doing any of the above should help.

So does anyone else experience issues with internet while the launcher is downloading any updates? I'm downloading that recent 360mb update right now and it just KILLS my internet connection. It took me like 15 tries just to get here to make this post. As soon as I pause the download everything's back to normal. Resume, and it goes to shit instantly.

The only time I ever experience this is if I'm using p2p software like torrents and it maxes out my upload, I have to throttle it manually or it does this (yay shitty internet in the boonies.) Does the GTAV updater use P2P or something?

I had the same problem. It seems to be downloading but it's not really the math didn't pan out. On my FIOS connection that 360mb update should only take a very short time. Cancel the update and try again. Worked like a charm.

So I re-installed windows with all the standard mobo drivers, latest video card (15.4) and sound card drivers for my primary rig in my sig. My game still crashes to desktop whenever I try to launch with eyefinity enabled. I can't fathom what's going on. I've tried going with one of the lower "eyefinity" resolutions that maintains the 3 x 16x9 monitor ratios. That didn't work either.

Next I'm going to try windowed mode. I really hope that's not going fix it because that would be highly annoying.

I'm stuck playing at 900p60 with 4xMSAA to clear up the dithering.
Really need a new GPU. Pains me every day.

Sidenote, I made $8 million today.

6qYHozy.png

Car duping glitch, PC only. Make about $2 million per hour.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gtaglitches/comments/33nipb/glitch_pc_solo_money_glitch_duplication_repost/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gtaglitches...ch_how_to_bypass_the_45_minute_wait_time_for/

Only works with Panto and Elegy cars for max profit (100k-200k per sale).
Do not try to use your expensive sports cars.

I'm fast burning out on this game....what is the point of all that money again? Too much grinding and too many hackers (already....) are killing my motivation to play this game.....

Interesting, you misinterpreted both of my posts and then blamed me for it.
Its not my fault you are pissed off because of a game :p
Not much point in trying to help you. Good luck.

Wow look at you with all your knowledge. You tell that little newbie that'll teach him to ask such a knowledge owner as you.

What are you on about.
I tried to help him and got bitch slapped.
Like I said, not much point in my trying to help him.

Fair enough if someone else wants to put in the effort.
I lost my motivation with him.

Has anyone compared performance between win7 and win8? I'm curious if it runs better on the newer OS due to the improvements to the graphics layer- I've heard BF4 in particular runs a bit quicker on win8.

Either way, I'm probably waiting until win10 is out to re-op, but it would be nice if newer DX11 games run a little smoother.

Hacking is entirely possible unfortunately through scripthook trainer and the SDK was released yesterday, the developer of the trainer attempted to keep it only to working in single player but of course people have made it work in multiplayer as well :rolleyes:. Such is the way with mods though.

Real modding opens up once this is released and lets people edit and replace models and change config's

Has anyone compared performance between win7 and win8? I'm curious if it runs better on the newer OS due to the improvements to the graphics layer- I've heard BF4 in particular runs a bit quicker on win8.

Either way, I'm probably waiting until win10 is out to re-op, but it would be nice if newer DX11 games run a little smoother.

I'm not aware of any improvements to the 'graphics layer' between Win7 and Win8. The only reason you've heard people touting Win8>Win7 about BF4 and trying to use the case to create perception that Win8 is somehow inherently better for gaming across the board is because BF4 is an exception, because you look at benchmarks for pretty much all other games and performance is basically same between versions.

BF4's performance edge in Win8 was really more of a happy accident and had zero to do with graphics improvements in Win8; it was all CPU related and had to do with the different thread handler in Windows 8 which DICE ended up on since they'd standardized on Win8 during development.

In any case, you probably can't go wrong with Win8 and a good start menu like StartIsBack, but if you're already on Win7 and would only be switching versions in the hopes GTA5 runs better, you're likely to be disappointed. And FWIW, I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade to windows 10 the moment its released. Its such a mess right now that I wouldn't touch it for at least 6 months post-release. DX12 games will take a while to appear - it'll be a trickle until 2016 at best, and MS has been so quiet about DX12 recently that I'm starting to sense it won't be something ready at launch and they'll patch it in later.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any improvements to the 'graphics layer' between Win7 and Win8. The only reason you've heard people touting Win8>Win7 about BF4 and trying to use the case to create perception that Win8 is somehow inherently better for gaming across the board is because BF4 is an exception, because you look at benchmarks for pretty much all other games and performance is basically same between versions.

BF4's performance edge in Win8 was really more of a happy accident and had zero to do with graphics improvements in Win8; it was all CPU related and had to do with the different thread handler in Windows 8 which DICE ended up on since they'd standardized on Win8 during development.

In any case, you probably can't go wrong with Win8 and a good start menu like StartIsBack, but if you're already on Win7 and would only be switching versions in the hopes GTA5 runs better, you're likely to be disappointed. And FWIW, I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade to windows 10 the moment its released. Its such a mess right now that I wouldn't touch it for at least 6 months post-release. DX12 games will take a while to appear - it'll be a trickle until 2016 at best, and MS has been so quiet about DX12 recently that I'm starting to sense it won't be something ready at launch and they'll patch it in later.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was under the impression that win8 had an overhaul on how the kernel's window manager does its thing and the improvements were to carry over to anything that draws to the screen. I don't know where I read that years ago, but it was tied with the new Metro interface and how they wanted to optimize for it.

Anyways, I was just curious if anyone had compared it themselves or seen it done on a site somewhere. I'm happy with my current install, but its good to know if there is some potential in the new os.

in an incredibly basic nutshell: Win8 has a little less CPU overhead. With games that rely on CPU performance, this can show itself as a little more than negligible performance benefit. However, with most games, the differences aren't worth anything in real world gaming experiences.

You won't notice in BF4 single player, as that leans heavily on GPU and is pretty homogenous with CPUs.

However, BF4 multiplayer really likes individual threading performance and also scales really well with more threads (BF3 was like this, as well). The multi-thread scaling is so beneficial, it actually allows AMD Phenom II and newer FX cpus to compete with Intel's quad cores. Even in Win7.

Can anyone confirm if these guys are hacking?
]

Heh I experienced this last night myself, was quite funny.

Some guy in a monster truck hauling ass everywhere, shooting projectiles, setting high ass bounties on people, then killing that person to collect them, destroyed everyone on the entire server.

Eventually he let a few people in one of the cars he was in, so it was a four man destruction team roaming around and killing everyone.

Trainers are fun! (in single player anyhow)

Back