Grand Theft Auto V

I installed it on my SSD. Someone mentioned earlier that open-world games with lots of streaming might benefit from an SSD. Hard drives can sometimes cause stutter in those situations.

I had the free space; might as well use it. Even if there is no benefit, there's certainly not a detriment.

Stutter i suppose, the other thing a slower hard drive might have issues with is textures popping in, doesn't seem to be much info on this in regard online so its a wait a see i suppose on if the SSD is necessary

After about 5-10 min of game play I keep crashing. Windows is saying memory is running low. I have 6GB installed. Any advice?
I've got 8GB installed. Bump your virtual memory up to 4GB or whatever Windows recommends. In my case Samsung Magician had it set at a very modest setting. Tried 2GB and it was still crashing. With 4GB there have been no more "low memory" crashes.

installing now!!
sucks though i have to go to work, i wont be able to play for another 9 hours...

im going to be buying another ssd, my 250 is now out of room with this game.

is everyone else installing on an ssd?
I installed on a 512GB 850 Pro.

Was worth the wait in my opinion.
Indeed. PC got the complete version of the game out of the gate, with none of the issues on the other platforms. Population of a game on one platform isn't indicative of another. Look at Call of Duty: you can still be matched to a game in multiplayer quite quickly in Black Ops 2 on Xbox 360, but the multiplayer has long been essentially dead on PC. And that was released on all platforms simultaneously. GTA V is new on the PC, coming out a year-and-a-half after the initial console versions.

Im not sure how an SSD would benefit this, load times typically arent too long so it would probably be safe to move it to an HDD
Initial load time is pretty lengthy for an SSD (30'ish seconds), so I can't imagine how bad it is on a platter drive which, at best, is 1/6 the speed.

Stutter i suppose, the other thing a slower hard drive might have issues with is textures popping in, doesn't seem to be much info on this in regard online so its a wait a see i suppose on if the SSD is necessary

You are not one I would trust taking advice from after two page rant I just read though.

You need to be banned for the craptastic attitude you've demonstrated on a PC forum when your hate clearly stems from the console versions. Get over yourself and go complain somewhere where someone will care.

No one is forcing you to play this game with a gun to your head. Which you dont even seem to have on PC. Your bitter from BS that you proclaim to be so damn important.

I have this on my 3TB Hitachi drive and it doesn't stutter or anything......loads fine. No need for SSD.

You are not one I would trust taking advice from after two page rant I just read though.

You need to be banned for the craptastic attitude you've demonstrated on a PC forum when your hate clearly stems from the console versions. Get over yourself and go complain somewhere where someone will care.

No one is forcing you to play this game with a gun to your head. Which you dont even seem to have on PC. Your bitter from BS that you proclaim to be so damn important.

Oh your right my responses had absolutely nothing to do with the BS responses and attitude in the replies posted? get over yourself, i don't even game on consoles 99% of the time, People need to realize their bullshit attitude they put in responses isnt warranted the vast majority of the time, especially an elitist PC gamerz are godz consoles are scrubs attitude

This is ridiculous it takes more than 4 hours to install the game, why the hell it's not an option to download it even if you bought it retail? Or at least slip in a goddamn bluray disc into the package so I don't have to sit here switching discs all day long.

I have to say, the amount of work they did on the first-person views for all the vehicles is amazing. If they added proper wheel support and TrackIR (probably won't) this thing could compete with Euro Truck Simulator 2 for immersion. Hood camera (you can find it in camera options) is way too bumpy, though.

After the prologue your character walks down an alley. In the alley, cat jumps down from a garbage can and meows. I tried to crouch next to it to get a good screenshot, but being unfamiliar with the controls, I accidentally kicked it and it died. I immediately restarted.

Then I killed a bunch of cops.

:D excellent

I have to say, the amount of work they did on the first-person views for all the vehicles is amazing. If they added proper wheel support and TrackIR (probably won't) this thing could compete with Euro Truck Simulator 2 for immersion. Hood camera (you can find it in camera options) is way too bumpy, though.

TrackIR would be ridiculously awesome for GTA5.

Wow, GTA Online sucks.
I can understand how the console gamer market might be impressed by this but it's really not impressive compared to everything else we've seen from PC games.

Why the hell does it take 5 minutes between games? They should rename it to GTA: Waiting. So much time moving between lobbies, moving your character back and forth. I've spent 2 hours playing today and I spent more than half of that time waiting on countdown timers, lobby match-ups, voting, load screens, etc. Why is the game buried so deep underneath all that overhead? And the game modes aren't even interesting. I did around 10 "Missions" and they all just involved driving for 5 minutes, stealing 2 cars, then driving back. Just boring.

I hate to say it but APB is a better game and it's free.

The vehicle and pedestrian density in GTA:O is awful as well. Feels like PS3/360 settings.

Last edited:
Wow, GTA Online sucks.
I can understand how the console gamer market might be impressed by this but it's really not impressive compared to everything else we've seen from PC games.

Why the hell does it take 5 minutes between games? They should rename it to GTA: Waiting. So much time moving between lobbies, moving your character back and forth. I've spent 2 hours playing today and I spent more than half of that time waiting on countdown timers, lobby match-ups, voting, load screens, etc. Why is the game buried so deep underneath all that overhead? And the game modes aren't even interesting. I did around 10 "Missions" and they all just involved driving for 5 minutes, stealing 2 cars, then driving back. Just boring.

I hate to say it but APB is a better game and it's free.

Haven't played it on PC but.... I got bored pretty quick with the online in GTAV on ps4. GTA is one game I really don't mind playing on a console vs PC but I agree the online isn't all that it was made out to be. I played it for a bit and got bored. But it is definitely something you want to go back to after a few months break.

I'll get to level 12 and buy an apartment to try heists but even then I would be better off playing PayDay 2.
It would be a thousand times more enjoyable if they would just streamline the gameplay/game modes.

I can't justify sitting around staring at load screens all day. Awful.

More people need to hammer Rockstar about TrackIR support, I want to be able to look around while driving and flying, the game is gorgeous.

Stuck at work, went home on lunch to download. Will be up in it tonight. Q-BZ, you better not have led me astray!

Stuck at work, went home on lunch to download. Will be up in it tonight. Q-BZ, you better not have led me astray!

So far, so good! I played for a good three hours without any issue. I have not done GTA Online yet.

People were right: If you have Nvidia, use Geforce Experience's recommended "optimum settings" as a base to work off of.

For laughs I've been playing with vsync off. I'm going to force Adaptive out of the Nvidia control panel and see what happens.

Masterpieces like this make me giddy and remind me why I am a PC gamer to the core and put up with little frustrations from time to time. I haven't been this excited about a game in a loooong time.

Bravo, Rockstar.

Anybody have performance figures from 4k and dual 970 setup? I'm particularly looking for everything ultra with no AA. Let me know what you got, thanks!

More people need to hammer Rockstar about TrackIR support, I want to be able to look around while driving and flying, the game is gorgeous.

That would be so awesome.....just the ability to look left as you turn right would make it worth it.......

So what's the consensus on kids playing it? Is it possible to explore the map without curses / hookers / crazy shit?

I let my kid run around BF4 without other players (drives the tank over things) & FC4 without any bad guys (dad slaughtered them all). Could GTA V be similar, I have a feeling it's inherently worse.

It's great for the whole family!

I recommend a trip to the 'Cherry Poppin' Ice Cream shop, where they have "been poppin cherries since '83". And after a stroll down the boardwalk to 'BanginBeavers' Coffee Shop " we get it wet".

The ambiance of the area and lively characters you will meet is great fun for the kids!

I recommend a trip to the 'Cherry Poppin' Ice Cream shop, where they have "been poppin cherries since '83". And after a stroll down the boardwalk to 'BanginBeavers' Coffee Shop " we get it wet".

The ambiance of the area and lively characters you will meet is great fun for the kids!

Except for that time i stopped in front of some club called "Pitchers"

All dudes -- and some of them were in drag. It was hilarious.

Unrelated to any of that -- add me on steam if you guys want to get into some heists sometime I have one other friend and we are trying to get a good crew together for heisting. (we use mics too via steam) account: Accelerus

This is ridiculous it takes more than 4 hours to install the game, why the hell it's not an option to download it even if you bought it retail? Or at least slip in a goddamn bluray disc into the package so I don't have to sit here switching discs all day long.

Wow! That sux.

Those establishments don't sound very Christian.

mean-old-lady.jpg

I am SHOCKED how well optimized this is compared to the steaming turd GTA IV was... SLI 680's 2GB running max at 1080 MSAA 4X.. No framerate issues nor Vram issues.. Game plays wonderfully.

Wish there was an ignore button to put certain posters on your ignore list so there post doesn't come up.

Dude, so i fucked up big time. Ordered from greenman @ 45.00. Not a steam code..D/Ling the game at a whopping 50KB/s from social club..Fuck man...I'm so used to steam, i just figured it had to be a steam key. Anyone on thinking about buying from greenman take note..

Dude, so i fucked up big time. Ordered from greenman @ 45.00. Not a steam code..D/Ling the game at a whopping 50KB/s...Fuck man...
I DL'd from Rockstar via GMG yesterday, when the content servers were getting annihilated. It was spotty at times but no big issues.

Try restarting the Social Club Launcher/Setup Tool whatever.

I DL'd from Rockstar via GMG yesterday, when the content servers were getting annihilated. It was spotty at times but no big issues.

Try restarting the Social Club Launcher/Setup Tool whatever.

Dude, I won't be playing tonight. I should have fucking checked! God dammit steam has me spoiled.

Huh? Restart the Rockstar launcher, dude.

Dude, tried it, been doing that over and over. Goes to 5mb/s for like 10 seconds then back down..Everyone on the r* forums is bitching about the same thing. I suspect shitty hosting, or it's just getting hit so fucking hard it cant keep up.

Last edited:
I just realized you can pimp out each character's personal vehicle and it will stay that way permanently (each time it respawns).
Wish the game told me that... Past GTA games were the opposite way.

Back