Grabbing Stuff in VR with New Knuckles

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Valve kicked out its SteamVR Knuckles EV2 motion controllers here recently, and the guys over at Cloudhead Games give us a quick look at how these work. Very cool stuff to see!

Check out the video.

Cloudhead's Cameron Oltmann talks the latest hardware and API from Valve and SteamVR with the "Knuckles EV2" motion controllers.

Someone did point out yesterday that it has been a year since we have reviewed any VR Games and their performance. Do not fear however. We have two HTC Vive Pro HMDs already here in the office and are ready to fire up the VR testing again when we get some new GPUs on the market. Quite frankly, there has not been a lot of performance changes to track down in the last year with the GPU market being so inactive. Not a lot of reason to spend resources looking into GPUs where there are no new ones to cover, and couple that with the fact that the mining market ruined pricing, and maybe you will see where we are coming from.

The Beast really let himself go.

It's nice to see these simpler controller concepts. The sleeved gloves with removable, individually tracked 3-space sensors was going overboard a bit.

I have to admit I'm psyched to see these hit the market soon, won't help me on the rift but its good for the breed....looks like a good implementation, fingers crossed.

Makes me happy that Oculus went the way with their controllers. Sure, the grip buttons aren't "pressure sensitive"...but they ARE analog. Analog sticks on both. Just makes me OK with these in a way because just as with ReVive running Oculus games for the Vive I feel it'll be easy or native to have Oculus Touch support with Knuckles games.

Certainly makes me wish Oculus would come out with some new shit though.

I'm not a big fan of VR headsets (admittedly never tried it on before) but I feel this controller will make a world of difference in terms of intuitive controls and practicality for both VR, and AR if it is compatible with AR gear as well. It's much easier for people not familiar with standard controls to just jump in and start using it.

I'm really excited for these controllers. Shit, I only live about 3 miles from Valve headquarters, maybe they have a demo near the lobby. lol

Looks cool. I've still not taken the plunge into VR - not that I don't want to, just real life stuff is keeping me away.

When the next iteration/generation of VR come out with these Knuckles, and there is a new generation of GPUs out, I'm going to have a hard time not saving up and splurging on a new build and taking the plunge.

The Beast really let himself go.
It's nice to see these simpler controller concepts. The sleeved gloves with removable, individually tracked 3-space sensors was going overboard a bit.
LoL! I was thinking Sully from Monsters Inc.

Pretty neat tech but I have to say this; ENOUGH ALREADY with the blue, green, and pink hair people! You are not special or unique or mysterious. It looks more like you robbed a bank and the die pack blew up in your face.

Back