GPU Stable @ Full Load, Freezes often @ Idle

Gman1979

Gawd
I recently bought a RX590GME for one of my systems. Under full load it is rock solid under everything I throw at it.

My issue is I get freezes at the desktop, while browsing. and when first trying to load games (basically when the card would be at or transitioning to/from a low power state. If I leave anything running that keeps the GPU under constant load, I don't get any freezing.

My PSU tests as good, and my voltages under load are stable, but I'm starting tm suspect the PSU anyway. Am I on the right track? Or should I be looking elsewhere for the cause?

Check to see if the card is undervolted because this is a classic symptom of having something undervolted too far. It's similar when people start messing around with the CO settings for Ryzen CPUs. They'll set the negative offset too high and end up with instability at low or no load.

Check to see if the card is undervolted because this is a classic symptom of having something undervolted too far. It's similar when people start messing around with the CO settings for Ryzen CPUs. They'll set the negative offset too high and end up with instability at low or no load.
I checked what you suggested, and while the voltages appear normal, raising the voltages of the first three P states seems to have helped. It's been a couple hours now and no freezes. Thank you very much for the assist.

r u sure it's the gpu and not the cpu?

i would check to see if the cpu needs more voltage or actually maybe an offset is set on the cpu and it downclocks to fast and crashes or as mentioned could be the gpus.

r u sure it's the gpu and not the cpu?

i would check to see if the cpu needs more voltage or actually maybe an offset is set on the cpu and it downclocks to fast and crashes or as mentioned could be the gpus.
The cpu is at stock speeds on the system with the issue. It only exhibited the issue with the RX590 installed. The igpu and a different AMD card didn't show the same issues when I was trying to isolated the cause.

The cpu is at stock speeds on the system with the issue. It only exhibited the issue with the RX590 installed. The igpu and a different AMD card didn't show the same issues when I was trying to isolated the cause.
Ok cool, I was just double checking.

my old 470 did this unless i bumped the voltage and power limit by 10%...

Back