GPU Overclock on boot?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

I figured I'd help my stepson get a little bit more out of his 2060 Super by overclocking it, but he has still not proven to be responsible enough to have his own admin credentials, so this means a local user account only.

Anyone know if it is possible to apply overclock settings on boot in a limited user account, without having to enter UAC credentials?

Hey all,

I figured I'd help my stepson get a little bit more out of his 2060 Super by overclocking it, but he has still not proven to be responsible enough to have his own admin credentials, so this means a local user account only.

Anyone know if it is possible to apply overclock settings on boot in a limited user account, without having to enter UAC credentials?
does afterburner need log in admin creds?

Why is he overclocking on a boat? Oh, nevermind.

Last edited:
I have only done it with AMD GPUs but you should be able to copy the cards bios, modify it with the appropriate clocks, and then reflash.

I've been using afterburner to set my overclock at boot, but I also haven't been a non-admin on a computer since I was like 10.

I've been using afterburner to set my overclock at boot, but I also haven't been a non-admin on a computer since I was like 10.

Well, that's another story all together, but generally no matter who you are, no matter how skilled you think you are it is always advisable to to all regular use under a non-privileged user account and maintain a separate admin account just for admin tasks.

Last time I tried doing this, I just had a UAC pompt pop up every boot.

Is that no longer the case?

Last time I tried doing this, I just had a UAC pompt pop up every boot.

Is that no longer the case?
The first thing I do whenever I reinstall windows is disable UAC. I make it like 2 UAC popups when trying to install a program and I go "fuck that."

I'm totally a beacon of security here.

The first thing I do whenever I reinstall windows is disable UAC. I make it like 2 UAC popups when trying to install a program and I go "fuck that."

same. admin account and uac off, i even auto-login with a stored password.

A few ideas if you didn't like the GPU bios flash one.

1. You could try using task scheduler to make a task that launches afterburner on startup. Under security options you should be able to specify to use the admin account to launch it.

2. You can try installing it as a service using something like SRVstart. Once you setup the service you should be able to specify the login account it runs as in services.msc

Last edited:

same. admin account and uac off, i even auto-login with a stored password.

You guys are crazy.

UAC and proper privilege management was the best thing that ever happened to Windows.

Vista actually took that unusable Swiss cheese security hole trash that came before it and actually turned it into a functional OS, and most of that can be credited to UAC.

Without UAC Windows would be better off dead.

I'm surprised they actually include options to disable it. It's such an important feature.

You guys are crazy.

UAC and proper privilege management was the best thing that ever happened to Windows.

Vista actually took that unusable Swiss cheese security hole trash that came before it and actually turned it into a functional OS, and most of that can be credited to UAC.

Without UAC Windows would be better off dead.

I'm surprised they actually include options to disable it. It's such an important feature.

If it's just you using the system and you're a competent 'power user' as most of us are, UAC is pretty pointless. It's a great security feature for the less skilled however. Or, in your case with a younger one that (rightfully) can't be trusted to always make the correct decisions.

I'm in the former group with my desktop. It doubles as a file server, etc. Nobody uses it except me. UAC doesn't help me at all unless you consider all the nag messages helpful. If it were my son, well that would be a different story.

Back