GPU Market Gets Flooded With Used GeForce RTX 2080 Ti’s

With the way people act when things become scarce it might be smarter to wait to sell anything Turing. When people can't find Ampere cards for months they're going to want something. I wouldn't be surprised if prices on using Turing cards go up during Oct-Nov.

Agreed, sort of like what happened with Turing's release just two years ago. Low supply, high prices... rush to buy last gen cards hopefully on the cheap. Which they often weren't.

Agreed, sort of like what happened with Turing's release just two years ago. Low supply, high prices... rush to buy last gen cards hopefully on the cheap. Which they often weren't.

Mmmhm. Hopefully I'll be able to snag a 3090 while used 2080 ti prices are up so I can nicely offset the cost. Even if used prices are only $700 or so it'd cut significantly into the price.

With the way people act when things become scarce it might be smarter to wait to sell anything Turing. When people can't find Ampere cards for months they're going to want something. I wouldn't be surprised if prices on using Turing cards go up during Oct-Nov.
From now to December, things will go all over the place. I like that Gamers Nexus is actually saying what I'm saying in that nobody bought RTX or AMD GPU's, and I know why. They're simply too expensive. The 3070 and 3080 is still too expensive but more reasonable than the RTX 2000 series. So I don't think there's going to be a scarce amount of RTX 3000 cards unless Trump does another stimulus check, but by then I think the economy will crash worse and people might actually use the checks to pay their bills instead of buying toys. There's also the AMD factor but I don't have much faith in AMD.

Like what? AMD, upcoming games, non-gaming markets. You're repeating exactly what I said by saying "Nvidia could release a RTX 3080 Ti that was 20% faster and people would eat it up faster than you can swipe your credit card". I'm not saying consoles aren't part of it, but not the only part. Companies rarely do anything for only one reason, well besides "make money".
The secondary reason for these massive performance increase of the RTX 3000 is because nobody bought the 2000 due to lack of performance increase. The third reason is because Nvidia might be scared of what Big Navi or RDNA2.0 could offer over Nvidia. Also keep in mind I predicted Nvidia doing this based purely on Nvidia being afraid on consoles while everyone else was expecting a 20% incremental upgrade. Hence why I think I'm right and why I think Nvidia has consoles as their prime reason for this drastic performance change. You think Nvidia wants to piss off their 2080 Ti owners when they know they can offer a 20% improvement and still get similar sales?
The reason consoles run at 30fps is because of the weak hardware in them and developers focusing on visual effects over frame rate.
Weak relative to what? To PC right? Up until Nvidia announced the RTX 3000 cards we all assumed the Xbox Series X and PS5 would perform better than most mid range and some high end PCs. Now the consoles look like they're using mid range to even low end hardware compared to the RTX 3000 cards. Whatever Big Navi is going to be, just use that as a point of reference for console performance and you'll realize that the PS5 and Xbox Series X now look slow relative to PC gaming again. This sort of thing did happen with AMD releasing the R9 290 in 2013, the same year the PS4 and XB1 were released. The launch price of the R9 290 was $400 with the 290X at $550. GTX 970 in 2014 was $330 MSRP. Nvidia didn't have to price the 970 that low and you don't see GTX 780 Ti owners complaining that a $330 GTX 970 was as fast or faster than the $700 GTX 780 Ti.

Early adopters for RT, yes, but not for raster performance.
The rasterization performance was the big issue for most people as it took months before any real games using Ray-Tracing were released. The RTX 2070 was a GTX 1080 in rasterization performance while the RTX 2080 was 1080 Ti in terms of performance. The RTX 2000 cards were all incremental and all were expensive. Even the GTX 1660's and 1650's hardly sold because again they offered very minor rasterization performance over the GTX 1060.
I've more than got my money's worth from the 2080 ti, especially as I didn't buy it for RT.
What's wrong with a GTX 1080 Ti? 1080 Ti owners really got their moneys worth.

Last edited:
From now to December, things will go all over the place. I like that Gamers Nexus is actually saying what I'm saying in that nobody bought RTX or AMD GPU's, and I know why. They're simply too expensive. The 3070 and 3080 is still too expensive but more reasonable than the RTX 2000 series. So I don't think there's going to be a scarce amount of RTX 3000 cards unless Trump does another stimulus check, but by then I think the economy will crash worse and people might actually use the checks to pay their bills instead of buying toys. There's also the AMD factor but I don't have much faith in AMD.

Yeah. This is something we've known for a while. Both AMD and Nvidia's offerings offered good performance, but the price (along with all the talk of driver issues from the AMD cards) kept people away. The Super variants, especially the 2060, were nice but came too late. The 5700 ended up being a great value, but not for nearly a year after launch. All the negative press across both launches likely kept a lot of people away, combined with some darn good prices on previous gen stuff. 1080 ti's went ridiculously cheap for a short time before launch and then a bit later as well. While the Steam numbers don't account for the entire market (and have some reliability issues) the results in no way surprise me. Neither Navi nor Turning were terribly exciting for people. Ampere might (keyword: MIGHT) change that as it feels like there is a lot of excitement behind the announcement. Though, it's hard to say how any piece of expensive consumer electronics is going to do over the rest of the year and especially into next year.

The secondary reason for these massive performance increase of the RTX 3000 is because nobody bought the 2000 due to lack of performance increase. The third reason is because Nvidia might be scared of what Big Navi or RDNA2.0 could offer over Nvidia. Also keep in mind I predicted Nvidia doing this based purely on Nvidia being afraid on consoles while everyone else was expecting a 20% incremental upgrade. Hence why I think I'm right and why I think Nvidia has consoles as their prime reason for this drastic performance change. You think Nvidia wants to piss off their 2080 Ti owners when they know they can offer a 20% improvement and still get similar sales?

I don't think Nvidia cares about pissing off 2080 ti owners. Ampere is clearly aimed at getting Pascal owners to upgrade. If they get those of us who bought Turing to upgrade as well, more the better. A moderate gen-to-gen increase likely wouldn't have got people to ditch Pascal, even with a moderate drop in price. In order to get people off the fence they needed some drastic.

Weak relative to what? To PC right? Up until Nvidia announced the RTX 3000 cards we all assumed the Xbox Series X and PS5 would perform better than most mid range and some high end PCs. Now the consoles look like they're using mid range to even low end hardware compared to the RTX 3000 cards. Whatever Big Navi is going to be, just use that as a point of reference for console performance and you'll realize that the PS5 and Xbox Series X now look slow relative to PC gaming again. This sort of thing did happen with AMD releasing the R9 290 in 2013, the same year the PS3 and XB1 were released. The launch price of the R9 290 was $400 with the 290X at $550. GTX 970 in 2014 was $330 MSRP. Nvidia didn't have to price the 970 that low and you don't see GTX 780 Ti owners complaining that a $330 GTX 970 was as fast or faster than the $700 GTX 780 Ti.

There have been a lot of guesses and assumptions to where consoles would stack up, with little real information. Like I said (twice) I'm not saying consoles had no impact, just not that it was the only thing pushing Ampere into what it ended up being. Consoles seeing a price increase could have definitely influenced Nvidia to drop prices (along with the a fore mentioned desire to get Pascal owners to upgrade). A 3060 and 3050 being cheaper than a console and potentially offering a little less, or similar, visual and performance levels in comparison could be huge.

The rasterization performance was the big issue for most people as it took months before any real games using Ray-Tracing were released. The RTX 2070 was a GTX 1080 in rasterization performance while the RTX 2080 was 1080 Ti in terms of performance. The RTX 2000 cards were all incremental and all were expensive. Even the GTX 1660's and 1650's hardly sold because again they offered very minor rasterization performance over the GTX 1060.

The 16xx cards really weren't that bad, but a terrible naming scheme combined with just slightly too high prices.... The 1660 ti could have been one heck of a card, until Nvidia basically cut it off at the legs by letting EVGA release the KO edition of the 2060 (one of the few really good and exciting releases from Turing).

What's wrong with a GTX 1080 Ti? 1080 Ti owners really got their moneys worth.

Nothing at all. One hell of a card. I had one. Thought about keeping it, but it just wasn't giving me the performance I wanted. I'm eying the 3090 for the same reason. I've enjoyed my 2080 ti and the performance it offered, but it just isn't enough for me and the 3080 isn't likely going to fully scratch that itch either. Neither the 2080 ti (well, maybe at $500) nor the 3090 are cards I'd recommend to the vast majority of people.

Boy it sure would suck to sell a card Nvidia is sorta conspicuously leaving out of its 3000-series benchmarks for $500 just before a ... four-ish month wait for its replacement?
It would be better to sell it now than wait for the 3070 to be actually available with real world benchmarks showing it beating a 2080ti. If you can get 500 for a 2080ti, better do it now. Now this is banking on Nvidia being very real with their benchmarks, I understand that, but I also get not wanting to take the risk of getting next to nothing.

It would be better to sell it now than wait for the 3070 to be actually available with real world benchmarks showing it beating a 2080ti. If you can get 500 for a 2080ti, better do it now. Now this is banking on Nvidia being very real with their benchmarks, I understand that, but I also get not wanting to take the risk of getting next to nothing.

Even if it does, it will likely be hard to find for months afterwards. This means used prices are most likely going to rise due to there being higher demand.

C’mon, the enthusiasts and hype are what makes this hobby great. Why’d you give up on the passion
So... I figured out I had more fun tweaking autoexec.bat and config.sys than playing the games. Now I can afford whatever I want, but it's more fun to have junky hardware and try to get it to run. Also, I need to be careful about building a monster machine that's too much better than his friends; or he'll build out things that are super laggy for everyone else. :rolleyes:

So... I figured out I had more fun tweaking autoexec.bat and config.sys than playing the games. Now I can afford whatever I want, but it's more fun to have junky hardware and try to get it to run. Also, I need to be careful about building a monster machine that's too much better than his friends; or he'll build out things that are super laggy for everyone else. :rolleyes:
:(

I thought that was a new thing. I think there is a post somewhere here saying if you buy a 3090 you shouldn't pair it with a 10600 even if you are only going to game. I can remember buying a pair of Celeron 300A's strapping them to a dual Abit board and getting pat on the back for making the best out of the affordable.

I still have my Abit BP6 full of 300A@450 goodness. :)

Even if it does, it will likely be hard to find for months afterwards. This means used prices are most likely going to rise due to there being higher demand.
Wishful thinking. The only way used RTX 2000 cards will go up in value is if something unexpected happens. Something like a Bitcoin boom or Nvidia screws up their ability to supply the demand. Personally, I don't think anything like that is going to happen. This also depends on what AMD does as well. For all we know Big Navi might actually be good and won't be priced by a jackass. I doubt it but stranger things have happened.

If you own a 2080 or 2080 Ti you still own the fastest gaming GPU's on the planet, you may as well stick with it and enjoy it...it's not like overnight the things are going to start struggling to push 24fps or anything......

If you own a 2080 or 2080 Ti you still own the fastest gaming GPU's on the planet, you may as well stick with it and enjoy it...it's not like overnight the things are going to start struggling to push 24fps or anything......

My 2080 Ti lost 40% of its FPS when 3080 was announced--must be some dirty NVIDIA trick.

Worse, your e-peen size decreased due to the 3090. I don’t know how they will recover :ROFLMAO:

Realistically, this is going to come down to one thing - how readily available the 30-series is.
If they aren't RAR, that 2080 Ti is going to keep losing money every second. Sorry.
If they are RAR, people are going to want/need something for the holiday season. The 2080 Ti is still a good card...well assuming you don't get one of the busted ones.

Feeling like I’ve stepped into the future, so much certainty, so much knowledge. I’m super tired and genuinely had a microsecond of “hang on is it actually out”

You guys crack me up. Buy one, don’t. It’s a fucking graphics card. Sell an old one, don’t. The idea that a company owes people because they released a cheaper product :LOL:

Feeling like I’ve stepped into the future, so much certainty, so much knowledge. I’m super tired and genuinely had a microsecond of “hang on is it actually out”

You guys crack me up. Buy one, don’t. It’s a fucking graphics card. Sell an old one, don’t. The idea that a company owes people because they released a cheaper product :LOL:

They might, owe if a Class Action gains enough steam

to some it's more than just a graphics card but a source of prominence and stature in the community by and large

Halo cards comprise under 1 maybe 2% of the entire gaming market at least as far as steam hardware survey is concerned I highly doubt that these cards are going to be that unobtanium for that long.

With the die size involved... ya there going to be hard to find for a long time. The number of actual fully functioning dies isn't going to be great even if they have the standard decent yield rate. Nvidias kryptonite on basically all their first generations has been their die sizes resulting in extreme low yields of top end fully functioning parts. We'll see though something tells me the 3080 will be in short supply never mind the 3090. I mean the same is true for every company.... same reasons AMD couldn't pump out enough 16 core zen2s right away either.

Where is everyone seeing these $500 2080Tis? I saw one or two close at that price on eBay right after the announcement but going rate seems to be about $600-$699/

edit: Screenshot added...
1599578167749.png

Last edited:
Where is everyone seeing these $500 2080Tis? I saw one or two close at that price on eBay right after the announcement but going rate seems to be about $600-$699

I saw a few on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace in that range. What's odd is that probably 90% were straight up asking retail price and the other 10% were new posts and asking between $500-650. No middle ground at all.

trying to get us back to the height of enthusiasm:
I'm not quite sure showing off how much money you're willing to spend = enthusiasm, I'd say that's more akin to bragging, although if you do think it is then hey why feel bad about your 2080Ti not having much resale value, you spent a lot of money! Wanting to build a super rig because YOU want to build a super rig is enthusiasm wanting to build one because others give you a hard time is caving to peer pressure.

LOL I think/hope erek is just screwing with us.

A GPU is not an investment. There is absolutely nothing they charged for other than performance, which they provided at the price buyers agreed was fair at the time. I can't imagine a class action lawsuit going forward on this.

LOL I think/hope erek is just screwing with us.

A GPU is not an investment. There is absolutely nothing they charged for other than performance, which they provided at the price buyers agreed was fair at the time. I can't imagine a class action lawsuit going forward on this.
even for retro collectibles?

some GPUs have sky-rocketed in value over time (rare cards, and historic)

i have a good formula down on eBay for resale:

search eBay for completed listings, sort by highest value... mimmic the success criteria of the highest sold... works out quite well, but seems with the 2080 Ti... definitely should have implemented the stopgap GPU and sold prior to this announcement

Sure they do, it happens ALL the time, certain trusted reviewers get stuff well ahead if release so they can drop info as soon as embargos drop. They have a business of trust so they won't release info before the embargo drops plus they sign NDAs.

They don’t get them THAT far a head. As of last week they were all saying cards hadn’t arrived yet. They’ll get them sometime this week.

They don’t get them THAT far a head. As of last week they were all saying cards hadn’t arrived yet. They’ll get them sometime this week.
Well depends what you consider by "that far" listening to Jay, I'm 100% sure he's already got a card, just the way he says stuff like "I'll answer questions as far as the NDA allows", or something along those lines. And if Jay has a card, Linus has a card, and probably Hardware Unboxed as well, etc.

even for retro collectibles?

some GPUs have sky-rocketed in value over time (rare cards, and historic)

i have a good formula down on eBay for resale:

search eBay for completed listings, sort by highest value... mimmic the success criteria of the highest sold... works out quite well, but seems with the 2080 Ti... definitely should have implemented the stopgap GPU and sold prior to this announcement

But that's market driven, not something nvidia is responsible for. If the 2080Ti became 10 times the price due to mining, would you give them more money?

Reactions: Parja
like this
As of last night I saw RTX 2070 prices start around $350 shipped, with Super variants about $40 higher. RTX 2060 and 2060 Super card prices are barely moving so far, and there's a weird pinch/collapse point others have pointed to for the 2080 and up. I'd hate to be a seller right now, that's for sure. Maybe things will stabilize once cards are actually out.

Anybody insisting that their "status in the community" will be affected because Nvidia delivered a card that's a remarkable improvement in value this generation and AMD appears ready to do the same needs a therapist.

Back