GPU Market Gets Flooded With Used GeForce RTX 2080 Ti’s

Boy it sure would suck to sell a card Nvidia is sorta conspicuously leaving out of its 3000-series benchmarks for $500 just before a ... four-ish month wait for its replacement?

Indeed... I really don't know why you would want to sell your main GPU a month or two before you can get a replacement. I somehow doubt NV floods the market with stock on day one... or day 14 or 30 for that matter. The demand is probably going to outstripe stock. You would have to have a lot of faith in NV to sell your 2000 today.

I'm not really concerned about getting max resale from my 2080 going to the 3080 and am fine with waiting to see which AiB/flavor I want and whenever they'll be available. If that's this time next year when deals and availability are much better, that's fine too. Other than CP2077, I'll prolly be busy playing and replaying PS5 exclusives later this year when it launches anyways.

3080 is looking to be at least 25-30% faster than a 2080Ti and will arrive in 10 days.
If I had, ten days from now, a 3080 on my hands, I'm pretty sure I could resell it for more than a $500 markup.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "available in blah, but available in quantities more like next year," I'd have, like, ten-fifteen bucks. Everyone has been told from critics and fans alike that launch numbers are going to be low. At this point, I'm leaning toward historically low compared to demand.

Sure, wccftech, based on what?
Nvidia made that claim in their own announcement. Based on DF's findings in the couple of games they were allowed to show, the improvements are closer to 70-80% over a 2080.

If I had, ten days from now, a 3080 on my hands, I'm pretty sure I could resell it for more than a $500 markup.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "available in blah, but available in quantities more like next year," I'd have, like, ten-fifteen bucks. Everyone has been told from critics and fans alike that launch numbers are going to be low. At this point, I'm leaning toward historically low compared to demand.

It's more of an FE cooler production issue than a chip production issue. The 3090 supply will probably be very low though.

I said this was going to happen because of the PS5 and Xbox Series X. I said Nvidia was going to do this in response of the consoles, and I said it'll be a massive leap forward. Nvidia did nearly the same thing with the GTX 970 performing equal to that of a GTX 780 Ti, because again of the PS4 and XB1. You know, a $330 graphics card performing like a previous gen $700. Keep in mind the RTX 3070 is not the equivalent of the GTX 970, but that would be the RTX 3060 which will likely be $350 and perform around a RTX 2080 with better Ray-Tracing performance. I imagine the RTX 3050 will perform like a RTX 2070 or 2060 Super at $250.

I wouldn't buy a RTX 2080 Ti for $500. I wouldn't buy it for $400. The most I'd pay is $300 because the RTX 3060 will still have better Ray-Tracing performance and won't be used and that will likely be around $350. The only people dumber than those who bought a RTX 2080 Ti are those who are buying it used for $500.

AMD who really can't even right now, will probably sell their Big Navi around $450 and $550, but won't be faster than a RTX 3070 and certainly slower at Ray-Tracing. AMD's big selling point for Big Navi is more VRAM, which is stupid. To make matters worse for AMD, they were planning to keep RDNA1.0 around for a few more years, but when Nvidia eventually releases the 3060 and 3050 then AMD couldn't even sell the 5700 XT for $250. Which is why I said that nobody should be buying any of AMD's graphic cards since none of them have Ray-Tracing. When Nvidia announces the 3060 and 3050 then good luck getting $200 for a 5700 XT. Surprisingly, the RTX 2060 will hold its value better since there won't be many RTX capable cheap graphic cards on the market for a while.

Nvidia made that claim in their own announcement. Based on DF's findings in the couple of games they were allowed to show, the improvements are closer to 70-80% over a 2080.
And that was presumably the best case scenario since it was an Nvidia directed preview.

I imagine the RTX 3050 will perform like a RTX 2070 or 2060 Super at $250.

That is not much of an improvement. Considering it will be a year+ later most likely before 3050's release from the holiday sales last year of the 2060, 2060 Super. 2070 cards. A whopping $100-150 savings at most. Far less if you count rebates and free games. After rebate and free game I picked up a 2060 Super for $315, during a Black Monday sale.

Considering the purported limited availability of 3000 parts, at least initially, it might not be the smartest thing to do: selling your GPU when your intended replacement is going to sell out in minutes. Then you are stuck with no GPU...

So far, everything about this new series has differed from prior launches. Every Nvidia OEM has a half dozen or more SKU's on the way. Some have 10+. Supply might be limited or it might not. At this point I'm not assuming anything. If there is a decent supply, those 2080 card values are going to plummet even further. Most people would rather buy a new card in the box with additional improvements vs. a used card with a shaky history.
Still, if I did want a 2080Ti, right now is a golden age.

Considering the purported limited availability of 3000 parts, at least initially, it might not be the smartest thing to do: selling your GPU when your intended replacement is going to sell out in minutes. Then you are stuck with no GPU...
i've got a stopgap Vega 64 Engineering Sample to use in-between

Why are so many people butthurt this generation?

It’s just the new way to be. People spend a lot of money on stuff, increasing the selling price generation over generation, expecting that everything is now an “investment”. So they buy a $1300 2080ti at launch, reasoning that they can sell it for 70% or so when the next gen comes out, because that’s what they did for the 780ti, 980ti and 1080ti.

so of course they feel upset when something they spent a lot of money on a year ago loses more than half its marketvalue overnight.

the real problem is that so many people rewarded nvidia for pricing that high in the first place. “It will hold its value” is a terrible justification to buy something, but most people don’t realize that until it’s too late and then they try to come up with a way to get away from it.

personally I think anyone who is upset ought to just hold on to their 2080ti cards. In about 20 years kids will be building retro gaming rigs with first gen hardware ray tracing and they will be worth something again.

im on the 2080 Ti, should i skip the 3000 series too? :(
If you don't feel limited I would skip it. The 2080ti is still a bad ass card. It will not self destruct on launch of the 3070. It just won't the top end but you will easily be able to make it until the next launch or at least refresh if you are addicted to upgrading.

It’s just the new way to be. People spend a lot of money on stuff, increasing the selling price generation over generation, expecting that everything is now an “investment”. So they buy a $1300 2080ti at launch, reasoning that they can sell it for 70% or so when the next gen comes out, because that’s what they did for the 780ti, 980ti and 1080ti.

so of course they feel upset when something they spent a lot of money on a year ago loses more than half its marketvalue overnight.

the real problem is that so many people rewarded nvidia for pricing that high in the first place. “It will hold its value” is a terrible justification to buy something, but most people don’t realize that until it’s too late and then they try to come up with a way to get away from it.

personally I think anyone who is upset ought to just hold on to their 2080ti cards. In about 20 years kids will be building retro gaming rigs with first gen hardware ray tracing and they will be worth something again.

The only people who would be mad about it not holding its value are either really young or really stupid. Did you already forget the mining craze and previous gens have had the same thing happen? Come on....

If you don't feel limited I would skip it. The 2080ti is still a bad ass card. It will not self destruct on launch of the 3070. It just won't the top end but you will easily be able to make it until the next launch or at least refresh if you are addicted to upgrading.
what about the traumas of being made fun of for not having the top of line card when the ones come out?

That's kind of on you, buddy.
Upgrade and we will haze you , don't upgrade and we will haze you, no matter what we will haze you.
some of us on here are driven to our upgrade decisions based on the fear of being made fun of and so forth

some were traumatized in the early enthusiast days

some of us on here are driven to our upgrade decisions based on the fear of being made fun of and so forth

some were traumatized in the early enthusiast days
I thought that was a new thing. I think there is a post somewhere here saying if you buy a 3090 you shouldn't pair it with a 10600 even if you are only going to game. I can remember buying a pair of Celeron 300A's strapping them to a dual Abit board and getting pat on the back for making the best out of the affordable.

Why are so many people butthurt this generation?
Accurate numbers = butthurt? Why are so many people acting like children whose favorite Marvel character got called out as not being able to beat another Marvel character?

Is this HardOCP or ManufacturersSlidesCentral?

Accurate numbers = butthurt? Why are so many people acting like children whose favorite Marvel character got called out as not being able to beat another Marvel character?

Is this HardOCP or ManufacturersSlidesCentral?

DF might have been constrained in which games they could show, but Nvidia had no say on their system or where/how they benchmarked said games. You think the 3080 is going to magically lose 50% performance outside of the 6 or so games Nvidia chose?
We’ll see on September 17, but I’m sure performance will be close to the 70% improvement in most games compared to the 2080. You can quote me if you want then.

I said this was going to happen because of the PS5 and Xbox Series X. I said Nvidia was going to do this in response of the consoles, and I said it'll be a massive leap forward. Nvidia did nearly the same thing with the GTX 970 performing equal to that of a GTX 780 Ti, because again of the PS4 and XB1. You know, a $330 graphics card performing like a previous gen $700. Keep in mind the RTX 3070 is not the equivalent of the GTX 970, but that would be the RTX 3060 which will likely be $350 and perform around a RTX 2080 with better Ray-Tracing performance. I imagine the RTX 3050 will perform like a RTX 2070 or 2060 Super at $250.

I wouldn't buy a RTX 2080 Ti for $500. I wouldn't buy it for $400. The most I'd pay is $300 because the RTX 3060 will still have better Ray-Tracing performance and won't be used and that will likely be around $350. The only people dumber than those who bought a RTX 2080 Ti are those who are buying it used for $500.

AMD who really can't even right now, will probably sell their Big Navi around $450 and $550, but won't be faster than a RTX 3070 and certainly slower at Ray-Tracing. AMD's big selling point for Big Navi is more VRAM, which is stupid. To make matters worse for AMD, they were planning to keep RDNA1.0 around for a few more years, but when Nvidia eventually releases the 3060 and 3050 then AMD couldn't even sell the 5700 XT for $250. Which is why I said that nobody should be buying any of AMD's graphic cards since none of them have Ray-Tracing. When Nvidia announces the 3060 and 3050 then good luck getting $200 for a 5700 XT. Surprisingly, the RTX 2060 will hold its value better since there won't be many RTX capable cheap graphic cards on the market for a while.

Eh. I wouldn't say it was just due to new consoles. Nvidia could have done just a slightly better than average gen-to-gen increase, dropped mid-range prices a bit, and had the same effect. Consoles probably played a part, but there are also other factors at play. Let's not forget that Pascal was a massive gen-to-gen increase without console hardware to supposedly push the jump.

So people who bought the first good 4K/high refresh rate ultrawide care are dumb? Anyone buying in the last couple months was foolish, anyone buying it solely for RT was foolish, but it has been one hell of a card for the past couple years. Personally. I have zero issue with that same raster performance being offered for a much lower price. Good for people able to afford those cards, they get great performance for a good price. Can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth out of the 2080 ti. The only "dumb" people here are those foolish enough to think themselves better than others because of a fucking computer component.

in 14 days people will be bitching about no stock...
i'm already complaining. i'm giving away my 2080 Ti, so i'm not that bothered by the value plummeting within a day. was hoping for some leaked 3090s on eBay at least by now tho

DF might have been constrained in which games they could show, but Nvidia had no say on their system or where/how they benchmarked said games.
Nvidia chose both games and resolution to be tested. Take a wild gueass when the 30 series will show more improvement over 20?

You think the 3080 is going to magically lose 50% performance outside of the 6 or so games Nvidia chose?
No, I don't. Why would I?

Heard there might be a Class Action against NVIDIA for the plummeting values of people's 2080 Tis
Why do people keep doing this?
If this ever happens, the same thing as always will happen. Settle, nvidia won't admit any wrong doing, the plaintiffs will get like $20 each and the lawyers will get millions.
Case closed, next...

Why do people keep doing this?
If this ever happens, the same thing as always will happen. Settle, nvidia won't admit any wrong doing, the plaintiffs will get like $20 each and the lawyers will get millions.
Case closed, next...

That assumes it even makes it that far. I imagine Nvidia's first move would be to request the case to be dismissed because the case would be incredibly frivolous and stupid.

I don’t think anyone thought a card with 1st gen RT thought it would hold it’s value.

The Titan users sure didn’t at least. lol

Back