• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GPU makers just made me miffed

TroyX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 17, 2012
Messages
1,461
Both of my GPU 1 x mini HDMI on my 2 video cards broke from inside the card because the HDMI cable outside the computer was just too heavy for it to hold.

I cant believe how easy those Mini-HDMI connectors on the back of the video cards brake, its a shame. Why didnt they just put a regular/full size HDMI instead?

First one broke after two weeks when i started to stream stuff from my PC to my TV, so i said maybe it was just bad luck, then i installed it on my other 560ti card and that one broke after 4 days.

can anyone help me what to do now in this field? i havent been using PC to TV streaming since few weeks so im new to this.

both of my 560ti's have 2 DVI's and 1 miniHDMI, is there something like a DVI to HDMI that could work so i can plug it to my my TV with video and audio?

thx all....
 
Last edited:
HDMI and DVI use the same signaling, just over a different connector. Adapters should be simple and cheap. One caveat however, DVI is Video-only whereas HDMI can also carry audio. As long as you have an alternative method of delviering audio to your TV or receiver then all should be good when using DVI. You can even get cables with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. Also don't be afraid to try VGA if your TV supports it. VGA can support 1080p easily and on many TVs it is amazingly trouble-free compared to HDMI or DVI.
 
HDMI and DVI use the same signaling, just over a different connector. Adapters should be simple and cheap. One caveat however, DVI is Video-only whereas HDMI can also carry audio. As long as you have an alternative method of delviering audio to your TV or receiver then all should be good when using DVI. You can even get cables with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other.

can you link me some good ones from newegg or amazon if its too much to ask?

good quality though, dont want cheap crap that breaks easy.

and btw, my video cards only have 2 dvi's and mini hdmi, no VGA on the cards
 
and btw, my video cards only have 2 dvi's and mini hdmi, no VGA on the cards

That is normal for most newer videocards, however some should be labeled DVI-I while others are labeled DVI-D. The DVI-I ports are usable with DVI to VGA adapters to output VGA, and most video-cards still come with adapters for that.

so with that adapter i can get video and audio as well?

No, no audio over DVI.
 
That is normal for most newer videocards, however some should be labeled DVI-I while others are labeled DVI-D. The DVI-I ports are usable with DVI to VGA adapters to output VGA, and most video-cards still come with adapters for that.



No, no audio over DVI.

are you sure because in that link you posted it reads: "Broadcast quality digital video, digital audio, and intercomponent control signals all in one compact, high-performance connection"
 
here is what i go from "google"

"Since 2008, PC manufacturers have gradually upgraded the PC's controller to support HDMI-output in addition to DVI. Due to electrical and pin compatibility between the DVI and HDMI, only a simple passive adapter (or DVI-D to HDMI cable) is necessary in order for the PC to output HDMI to a compatible HDMI-display (such as a television), and take advantage of HDMI features (such as audio output.)"
 
How about you solder the connectors back on, and get some slimline HDMI cables? That'd solve your problem.
 
That is normal for most newer videocards, however some should be labeled DVI-I while others are labeled DVI-D. The DVI-I ports are usable with DVI to VGA adapters to output VGA, and most video-cards still come with adapters for that.



No, no audio over DVI.
I get audio over a DisplayPort cable.. does DP have the same signaling as DVI? :? I ask this because of all the DisplayPort <-> DVI adapters I have seen, and that adapters to or from HDMI are a bit different...

I get audio from my monitor under DP.
 
I've used DVI to HDMI adapters and cables on a few cards over the last few years. Some ATI/AMD cards require an ATI/AMD adapter to enable audio over HDMI (my HD3xxx and HD4xxx cards did) while Nvidia cards seem to work with just about any no-name DVI->HDMI cables and adapters.
 
I've used DVI to HDMI adapters and cables on a few cards over the last few years. Some ATI/AMD cards require an ATI/AMD adapter to enable audio over HDMI (my HD3xxx and HD4xxx cards did) while Nvidia cards seem to work with just about any no-name DVI->HDMI cables and adapters.

nice, thx.
 
I'm really curious to see the exactly how the ports on these cards broke. I'm sitting here looking at the Mini-HDMI port on one of ours and, at least on this one, it seems you'de have to warp the steel bracket before you could even put stress on the port itself, which would take a whole hell of a lot of force. My HDMI and DVI cables are all massive, about as thick as my index finger, and I've never managed to damage a port on our of our cards despite swapping connections hundreds of times over the course of a year and even tripping over the wiring occassionally. Any way you can share a photo?

Oh, and I can also confirm audio works using DVI to HDMI on the GTX 570 as well. I would assume this to be the case for any 500 or 600 series card.
 
Can you take some pictures? You can most likely solder the connector back on.

im not opening the cards for that, dont want to void the warranty.

ill just try out the DVI to HDMI cable.

i will let you all know if it works when i buy it.
 
I'm really curious to see the exactly how the ports on these cards broke. I'm sitting here looking at the Mini-HDMI port on one of ours and, at least on this one, it seems you'de have to warp the steel bracket before you could even put stress on the port itself, which would take a whole hell of a lot of force. My HDMI and DVI cables are all massive, about as thick as my index finger, and I've never managed to damage a port on our of our cards despite swapping connections hundreds of times over the course of a year and even tripping over the wiring occassionally. Any way you can share a photo?

Oh, and I can also confirm audio works using DVI to HDMI on the GTX 570 as well. I would assume this to be the case for any 500 or 600 series card.

it was the weight of HDMI cable and that stupid Mini-hdmi converter that did it, the cable was putting too much force on it downward, and it snapped the connector inside the gpu, i was clearly able to see it with a flashlight looking inside of it.
 
Is there no visible damage at all? I would have thought anything that could break the internal connection while pulling in a constant direction would have almost had to noticeably misalign the port itself. How are you certain both ports are physically damaged if no such damage is visible?
 
Is there no visible damage at all? I would have thought anything that could break the internal connection while pulling in a constant direction would have almost had to noticeably misalign the port itself. How are you certain both ports are physically damaged if no such damage is visible?

it is visible, when i took the video card out and tried to connect that stupid mini hdmi into it i was able to see this little box ewhere it slides inside it moveed outward and out of place everytime i try to plug in that stupid mini hdmi converter.

trust me, that's the problem, i noticed that when it broke on my first 560ti and i checked the 2nd 560ti and inside the gpu where that stupid Mini-hdmi goes into the little box unit was in place where the broken one had it pushed in and out of place.

now both cards have the same exact issue, i must of moved my pc twice in a week, i made sure the heavy HDMI cord wasnt being too harsh on it but it still broke.
 
it was the weight of HDMI cable and that stupid Mini-hdmi converter that did it, the cable was putting too much force on it downward, and it snapped the connector inside the gpu, i was clearly able to see it with a flashlight looking inside of it.

Nevermind on my previous post, looks like you answered it while I was typing it up. That's pretty much what I was interested to know. We've shipped mini-hdmi adapters with several of our cards and I've never heard of this happening to any of our customers. I've used them myself and I'm pretty sure if I put enough force on it the adapter would break long before the card did. Strange that yours did; hard to say if it was a defect or just rotten luck.
 
You can get audio from a DVI -> HDMI cable, but only on new cards.

Not even new cards. AFAIK, Nvidia GPUs since the GTX200 series have had the ability.

I know that my GTX295 does and, if memory serves me, my old GTX260's also had it (spdif connector on GPU to pass thru sound)
 
not really, they were MSI and Gigabyte 560ti's.

it would of happened to any manufacturer.

The HDMI cables were just too heavy for these Mini-HDMI adapters to stay straight on the back of the computer, if i knew this was the cause i would of stamped the HDMI cable to the wall right where it meets the mini hdmi input so the weight of the cord wont push the Adapter down and causing the inside of the gpu to break that litle box inside that it plugs in to.

and i still havent ordered anything, i was thinking Component to DVI, but i dont get 1080p with that setup.

i checked my Samsung LCD tv and it does have PC VGA, i just dont know if its the input or output.

if its input then i can get the DVI to VGA cable adapter and try that and ill run the sound from my computer speakers i guess.

all this crap over this stupid Mini Crap, why didnt they just put the real, full size HDMI inputs on the back of the video cards instead.
 
Last edited:
You can do 1080p over component with a PC. I've done it myself and it looks just fine. The only reason other consumer electronics can't is because they're arbitrarily forbidden to.
 
hmmmm, how certain are you?

ill just pick it up anyway, if it dont work ill just return it, microcenter is just 15min away from me.

ill get that and this too and see which looks better: http://www.microcenter.com/product/203959/HDMI_M-DVI_F_Video_Adaptor

All I can say is that it worked for me when I ran 1080p via component out on a graphics card. I've done it on both a GTX 260 and a Radeon 3650 and I've connected to both a 1080p LCD TV and a 1080p projector. The picture was indistinguishable from HDMI, and I'm fairly picky about image quality. I used a straight component to component connection via the HDTV outputs on the cards, so using an adapter may or may not work the same way, but I'd say it's worth trying.
 
Just to add a voice, there's no reason 1080p shouldn't work fine with decent component cables. They have the bandwidth to support it and the only reason most devices don't let you nowadays is due to copyright protection enforcement. Since it's your computer... you should be fine :).
 
Analog 1080p is far worse than digital 1080p on a computer monitor.
 
Back with an UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!


bought this ------------->http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001OHH5G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03 from Amazon and everything works, 1920x1080p resolution and getting awesome audio with just a single DVI to HDMI cable, i dont know if im seeing things or hearing things but picture and sound is better with this cable.

those who said i should be getting sound with DVI to HDMI cable were all right, and those who said i wasnt were all wrong


I also bought this----------->http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009B59S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01 just in case i wasnt going to get the sound but im going to keep it anyway when i purchase a headphone amplifer,


so im all happy boys and girls.

using 560ti's in sli with Recon3d sound card, i dropped the Audigy 4, it just sucked compared to Recond 3d in gaming, it sounded dull and muffled, but music and movies did sound better but i will be geting that Schiit Magni headphone amp so it can improve sound for games since that Audigy 4 has no amplifer like the Recond 3d.

last but not least, all the manufactures who are still putting those mini-hdmi on the back of the video cards should be ashamed of them selves for saving pennies and not include full size HDMI.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
those who said i should be getting sound with DVI to HDMI cable were all right, and those who said i wasnt were all wrong

As far as I can tell I'm the only one who said that Audio wouldn't work over DVI. Audio, in fact, is not part of the DVI specification. Audio works out of Videocard DVI ports sometimes because some videocards actually output HDMI over the DVI port, for when consumers use bundled adapters that come with the card. In your case you are just using the cable to fill the purpose of the adapter, but in my experience this can produce unpredictable results, and some cards that actually have HDMI ports (like yours), don't process HDMI output from the DVI ports. So, I was trying to base my advice off hard data, and DVI does not support Audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface said:
Features specific to HDMI, such as remote-control, audio transport, xvYCC, and deep-color, are not usable in devices that only support DVI signalling. However, many devices can output HDMI over a DVI output (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[7] and some multimedia displays accept HDMI (including audio) over a DVI input. Exact capabilities vary from product to product.

Just in case you were interested in how the technology actually works instead of patting yourself on the back for assumptions you made while asking others for help.

I'm glad you got it working.
 
last but not least, all the manufactures who are still putting those mini-hdmi on the back of the video cards should be ashamed of them selves for saving pennies and not include full size HDMI.

Hate to object but I haven't heard of Mini-HDMI ports breaking off for anyone else. They're rated for 5,000 mating cycles, so even if you plug and unplug the cable every single day you should still be good for 7 years.

Also Mini-HDMI isn't any cheaper than regular HDMI, it just happens to be small enough to share a PCB with two DVI ports and still fit. In fact, since we often include the adapter for free it actually costs us more, but it's either that or stack the port on the 2nd slot of the bracket and kill half the airflow while increasing cost even more.
 
Hate to object but I haven't heard of Mini-HDMI ports breaking off for anyone else. They're rated for 5,000 mating cycles, so even if you plug and unplug the cable every single day you should still be good for 7 years.

Also Mini-HDMI isn't any cheaper than regular HDMI, it just happens to be small enough to share a PCB with two DVI ports and still fit. In fact, since we often include the adapter for free it actually costs us more, but it's either that or stack the port on the 2nd slot of the bracket and kill half the airflow while increasing cost even more.

well, the hard truth still stands, those mini-hdmi's that they put on back of the cards are garbage.

the one on my gigabyte lasted me 3 months and the one on msi lasted just 2 weeks.

and its just not me, i googled about this issue and there are tons of people who had the same problem.

stop saving pennies and use the real size HDMI inputs, hence the reason why they no longer use them today for the 600 series and reason why AMD stopped using them for ages now.

i dont want to hear excuses.
 
Last edited:
well, the hard truth still stands, those mini-hdmi's that they put on back of the cards are garbage.

the one on my gigabyte lasted me 3 months and the one on msi lasted just 2 weeks.

The common element here is you. If you keep breaking connectors on graphics cards, it's not the graphics cards' problem. You're clearly doing something wrong.

HDMI cables are heavy. Letting them hang down from an HDMI port at an angle is a recipe for a broken port. Use a right-angle port adapter or support the cable somewhere nearby.
 
Back
Top