Gotham Knights

So I played this game for a few minutes and it seems that the performance problems are related to shader compilation stutter. I'm playing on a 4090 and the GPU is barely hitting 35% utilization but there's still stuttering. This issue seems to affect most PC games nowadays (looking at you Elden Ring). WB needs to find a way to compile shaders before entering the game to remove all the micro stuttering during gameplay.
Uncharted has a menu option to do that. I don't imagine it would be something hard to implement, developers just need to care.

Uncharted has a menu option to do that. I don't imagine it would be something hard to implement, developers just need to care.

I first saw this with Modern Warfare 2019 and Horizon Zero Dawn, at least overtly. HZD had some issues but eventually patches just made it run after first launch if I recall. MW 2019 and I believe Far Cry 6 compile them after hardware/software change. MW does it after patches too.

It seems like this is required for smooth gameplay these days.

I picked it up off CD Keys for 44.00 I'll see how it is what I'm hearing from Steam when you get to the Bike 2 hours in it stutters but that could be fixed. People are playing at 4K and 1440P I should be safe at 1080P from what I'm hearing on the Steam Forums. I guess the CPU matters more than the GPU in this game I also heard. This game just looks nice I don't care about grinding hell I might not even
make it the the first boss before I shelve it for good.

Last edited:
Is anyone actually playing this game? Would love to hear their thoughts.
I played it for about 5 hours at this point. I actually like it despite the performance issues. There's a good game hidden underneath some questionable choices that were made by the devs. It's basically Arkham Knight with new playable characters. Everything that was said in the reviews are true, the game is grindy and the combat system is very simplistic compared to Arkham Knight but the main story missions are pretty good. Since the actual load on my PC is so low (35% GPU and 15% CPU utilization) I just leave Twitch or Youtube playing on my second monitor and do all the grindy bits. I'm having a good time with it.

I played it for about 5 hours at this point. I actually like it despite the performance issues. There's a good game hidden underneath some questionable choices that were made by the devs. It's basically Arkham Knight with new playable characters. Everything that was said in the reviews are true, the game is grindy and the combat system is very simplistic compared to Arkham Knight but the main story missions are pretty good. Since the actual load on my PC is so low (35% GPU and 15% CPU utilization) I just leave Twitch or Youtube playing on my second monitor and do all the grindy bits. I'm having a good time with it.

who's the best character to play- Red Hood?

I picked it up off CD Keys for 44.00 I'll see how it is what I'm hearing from Steam when you get to the Bike 2 hours in it stutters but that could be fixed. People are playing at 4K and 1440P I should be safe at 1080P from what I'm hearing on the Steam Forums. I guess the CPU matters more than the GPU in this game I also heard. This game just looks nice I don't care about grinding hell I might not even
make it the the first boss before I shelve it for good.

At 1080P you are pretty much always going to be CPU bound.

the game sounds very average...serviceable is a word I saw a few times pop up in reviews...especially when you look at the inevitable comparisons to Arkham City and Arkham Knight the art design looks very bland...one of the reviews mentioned that it looks like any open world city and not Gotham City

the streets are empty, barely any rain, graphics are poor, performance is worse (indoor sections fare better), story sounds decent but is locked behind a ton of grindy missions needed to unlock progression and character abilities...overall a very disappointing Batman game...hopefully this is not what's to come with future next-gen titles on PC

Last edited:
All indicators seem to say that this could have/should have been more. I wanted to get this. Maybe when it's on sale or something.

All indicators seem to say that this could have/should have been more. I wanted to get this. Maybe when it's on sale or something.
I've seen a number of reviews on it and most of them say the story is actually rather good but the pacing gets tanked by the game forcing you into the grindy open world elements. There are also a lot of indicators that the game was originally to be a live service game as there are clearly MMO-like gearing systems and crafting built into it that don't make any sense for a single player game of this type. They all seem to indicate that at lower levels the combat is fun but as you level up, you encounter annoying spongy heavy type enemies and super repetitive combat. Overall, I don't like a lot of what I've seen about it. Some videos even show that graphically, it's not terrible but the environment is often worse in terms of detail than Arkham Knight was which was released back in 2015.

What I'm seeing tells me that its the kind of game you wait for a deep discount on before jumping in if you are interested in it which is where I'm at. There are aspects of the game that have captured my interest but I'm also now very cautious about the aspects that don't sound good to me.

I've seen a number of reviews on it and most of them say the story is actually rather good but the pacing gets tanked by the game forcing you into the grindy open world elements. There are also a lot of indicators that the game was originally to be a live service game as there are clearly MMO-like gearing systems and crafting built into it that don't make any sense for a single player game of this type. They all seem to indicate that at lower levels the combat is fun but as you level up, you encounter annoying spongy heavy type enemies and super repetitive combat. Overall, I don't like a lot of what I've seen about it. Some videos even show that graphically, it's not terrible but the environment is often worse in terms of detail than Arkham Knight was which was released back in 2015.

What I'm seeing tells me that its the kind of game you wait for a deep discount on before jumping in if you are interested in it which is where I'm at. There are aspects of the game that have captured my interest but I'm also now very cautious about the aspects that don't sound good to me.

Seems like another case of open word/RPG mechanics ruining an otherwise decent game. Simplifying and making the upgrade process natural and cutting down on the amount of side quests might have helped this.

People seemed to absolutely love Spiderman when it was a Playstation exclusive and it was grindy as hell. It took the PC release for people to look at it and realize "wow...even Ubsisoft wouldn't go this far."

People seemed to absolutely love Spiderman when it was a Playstation exclusive and it was grindy as hell. It took the PC release for people to look at it and realize "wow...even Ubsisoft wouldn't go this far."

do they lock you behind progression walls in the Spidey games where you can't progress with the main missions until you reach a certain level?

do they lock you behind progression walls in the Spidey games where you can't progress with the main missions until you reach a certain level?
No they don't If you just follow the main mission markers you can finish the game and not do anything else because the story is linear. You only get to choose when you actually do them so if you go off and do side missions and grind weapon upgrades and levels, the main story is waiting at the point you went off on your own.

No they don't If you just follow the main mission markers you can finish the game and not do anything else because the story is linear. You only get to choose when you actually do them so if you go off and do side missions and grind weapon upgrades and levels, the main story is waiting at the point you went off on your own.

yeah I hear Gotham Knights locks main story progression and forces you to grind which is a big difference between the Spidey games

Nope, but the main missions only make up a tiny fraction of the game. If you only play those (rather than go ham with the grind), you might get 6-7 hours out of the first Spiderman game. They kinda feed into themselves because they provide unlocks for skills that you'd only actually need if you plan to play more of them. They make up the vast majority of the game - probably 75% or more.

You buy this game Domingo?

I'll try it after tonight

Nah. I figure I'll look into it once a consistent 60 or more fps = achievable and it's cheaper. I don't think it sounds horrible, but I'm not going to buy a "meh" game that also has major performance issues.

My wife and I played it for about 10 hours over the weekend and quite enjoying it. It definitely has stutter/performance issues, but nothing totally game breaking in my opinion (I am 35 and less picky these days...I just like to play games and have a good time)...just an annoyance when it dips for a second or two and then rebounds back (guessing this will eventually be patched). Having played the other 4 Arkham games, its similar but not 1:1/exact...mainly that the combat is slower paced. I did switch to a controller from keyboard and mouse and that makes a big difference on controlling the characters and a much smoother/precise experience (is way to clunky with the keyboard and mouse).

My wife and I played it for about 10 hours over the weekend and quite enjoying it. It definitely has stutter/performance issues, but nothing totally game breaking in my opinion (I am 35 and less picky these days...I just like to play games and have a good time)...just an annoyance when it dips for a second or two and then rebounds back (guessing this will eventually be patched). Having played the other 4 Arkham games, its similar but not 1:1/exact...mainly that the combat is slower paced. I did switch to a controller from keyboard and mouse and that makes a big difference on controlling the characters and a much smoother/precise experience (is way to clunky with the keyboard and mouse).
How is the coop experience? None of the reviews seemed to touch it despite being a selling point for the game.

do they explain why the streets are practically empty?...the Arkham games had something going on in every corner- crimes being committed, gangs roaming around etc

How is the coop experience? None of the reviews seemed to touch it despite being a selling point for the game.
Pretty good and seamless. It has the "host" concept and does come with a few caveats and wonkyness. The host has all the progression, but main story progress, gear, stats does carry over to the other member. Side missions, etc seem like they are lost in translation (but it sounds like it may prompt you to skip it if you try it on your end at a later time). So basically, if you are going to play with a specific person, decide who going to be host.

do they explain why the streets are practically empty?...the Arkham games had something going on in every corner- crimes being committed, gangs roaming around etc

I will give my perspective on this that im sure will be disagreed upon by other folks. When you are actually on foot and on the streets, its not "dense" but there are people, cars, etc. Driving around on the motocycle, there will be gang activities almost on every block or every other block. When you are slinging around/in the air, is when it looks empty. So I would say its more graphical and only renders population when on the streets themselves.

Nah. I figure I'll look into it once a consistent 60 or more fps = achievable and it's cheaper. I don't think it sounds horrible, but I'm not going to buy a "meh" game that also has major performance issues.
Looks like another "Covid" game that didn't get the attention it deserved, despite delays. It'll probably be one of those ones that gets hotfixes along the way and in 1-1.5 years people will say "No its actually really good now!". Too little too late when there are so many potential good games around the corner.

Arkham Origins was from this same developer and was an underrated game...still not as good as any of the Rocksteady games but was a solid Batman game...I don't think Gotham Knights will ever reach the heights of Origins (although I do hear that the Court of Owls story isn't too bad and is worth playing just for that)

Thing I noticed at work the CD copies are like 10.00 more than the PC version. Like 89.98 for for the deluxe version. I'll try in the morning after scrubbing at work.

20221025074707_1.jpg

Batman gets his A$$ kicked by a guy who can't die.

20221025075207_1.jpg

Pose for the [H] Forum Nightwing

20221025074929_1.jpg

Character selection at the Graveyard where Batman is buried.

I'm getting 59-60 in the opening area @ 1080P 144hz combat looks really smooth not sure how it's after a while. Using a 12700K and my EVGA 3070

I was playing last night and some random player popped into my game. We started running around and doing some of that famous grinding. It was really great. The addition of coop multiplayer makes the game a lot more fun IMO.

I'm getting 59-60 in the opening area @ 1080P 144hz combat looks really smooth not sure how it's after a while. Using a 12700K and my EVGA 3070

Inside areas are fine...its mostly the open world areas where the stutters/performance issues start to present themselves. From my perspective, the stutters, etc seems to be when you traverse far enough and then the game loads a new chunk of the map in.

Inside areas are fine...its mostly the open world areas where the stutters/performance issues start to present themselves. From my perspective, the stutters, etc seems to be when you traverse far enough and then the game loads a new chunk of the map in.
If you guys watch to the latest Digital Foundry Direct video they do mention that Unreal Engine 4 doesn't handle open world environments well which is why this game performs great while indoors but exhibits stuttering when moving around in the open world.

If you guys watch to the latest Digital Foundry Direct video they do mention that Unreal Engine 4 doesn't handle open world environments well which is why this game performs great while indoors but exhibits stuttering when moving around in the open world.

Hmm, from a constructive dialogue standpoint, I am not sure I completely agree with this. There are examples out there with UE4 such as Borderlands 3, the Arkham Ports, Gears 5, etc that perform well. Looks like DX12 might be part of the problem (which maybe is UE4 related deep down)...and the classic trick of reverting to DX11 will help it.

Hmm, from a constructive dialogue standpoint, I am not sure I completely agree with this. There are examples out there with UE4 such as Borderlands 3, the Arkham Ports, Gears 5, etc that perform well. Looks like DX12 might be part of the problem (which maybe is UE4 related deep down)...and the classic trick of reverting to DX11 will help it.

Only Arkham Knight is UE4. City, and Origins are both UE3 and both games notoriously had issues on launch. BL3 had performance issues on launch that were worked on with patches.

Only Arkham Knight is UE4. City, and Origins are both UE3 and both games notoriously had issues on launch. BL3 had performance issues on launch that were worked on with patches.
Arkham Knight is actually a customized version of UE3. UE4 was not released in time for Rocksteady to use it in the game.

I am talking about the remasters and "Return to Arkham" ...the first and second game brought to next gen...think that was UE4?

if UE doesn't handle outside open world areas very well then why did all the Arkham games use UE?...same with Gears of War etc....for such a popular game engine it seems to have some major issues...hopefully UE5 is better

Back